Gangland 10/28/21

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

nizarsoccer
Straightened out

Re: Gangland 10/28/21

Post by nizarsoccer »

Wiseguy wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:57 am
nizarsoccer wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:07 am
Pmac2 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:20 am shaking down the union guy for part of his salary is just fucking nuts unless its a no show job but i doubt it cause he was a high ranking official so he works the union standard 40hrs aweek. all the little scams they could pull they go for the guys paycheck dumb
Well Vincent Eposito personally extorted over ten thousand dollars a year from the senior union official leading Local 2D, so it's part of the shakedown playbook. Plus clearly they wanted to take it another level with the benefit fund extortion, just didn't the time to complete it.
In both the Genovese and Colombo cases, union infiltration went back to at least the early 2000s. In the Genovese case, they were also pulling those other scams with the union, i.e. soliciting and accepting bribes, steering union benefit plans into investments in exchange for kickbacks, etc.
Yeah I know. Maybe if someone goes to trial we can find out more, but I wonder why did they wait until so recently to go from just extorting Local 621 president to trying to steal from the benefit fund. Wouldn't you wanna start earlier especially considering it was easier to do these kinds of extortions earlier? Also how come they wanted to go after the benefit fund first and not use their influence to extort contractors for kick-backs, the more classic labor racketeering endeavor?
Bruno187
Straightened out

Re: Gangland 10/28/21

Post by Bruno187 »

IMHO there's less risk in getting one guy with deep pockets to corrupt than corrupting a whole bunch of smaller players with limited resources. Especially nowadays.
Think about it...you approach 50 contractors and put the shake on them, one of them is bound to run to the FBI. You get one union guy, who is maybe into you for money or you have some kind of leverage with, and corrupt him, now you only have to worry about one guy.
With all that said, it's a different world today and OC is most definitely a thing of the past. At least getting away with it and hoping to die on the outside in one's own bed.
Long time Joey....hope all is well with you.