General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Patrickgold
Full Patched

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by Patrickgold »

funkster wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:41 pm If outfit guys are stopping in there, pretty shocked they would bring that type of heat there.
Yea it sounds like they had some type of working relationship. For some of these guys, money speaks more than common sense. Hookers, drugs and gambling.
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

Snakes wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:37 pm
B. wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:55 pm
PolackTony wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:48 pm
funkster wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:48 am I’m dying to see those 302s..says that lapietra direct quote said “the old man isn’t too old do to heavy work” lol
We know from DeRose that Accardo sponsored Mooney for membership, and a sponsor is supposed to be personally responsible for the conduct of the inductee. This fits with Rosselli being quoted in the Fratianno book as saying that when he first met Mooney, he was a soldier direct with Accardo. I also doubt that it’s a coincidence that the two were paesani; possibility that their families were connected, even going back to Castelvetrano/Partanna. If Accardo was directly involved in the hit, this would make sense as he may well have seen it as his personal duty to ensure that it was carried out, along with the likelihood that he may have been one of the only men that Mooney would’ve trusted to let into his home.
I also see the Spilotro murders as a similar event in that top leaders were in attendance and to some degree participated in a brutal double murder. Not exactly the same as the rumor that Accardo personally shot Giancana but similar in that it's uncharacteristic for men of that stature to be directly involved in an event like that.

If Accardo did kill Giancana it was a very symbolic act. The Spilotro murders also come across highly symbolic.
Carlisi was 61 or 62 and a capo when he beat Nick D'Andrea to death with the butt end of a shotgun.
Not to mention Butch Blasi himself was 64 or 65 at the time Giancana was killed. Only 5 years younger than Accardo.
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

funkster wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:48 am I’m dying to see those 302s..says that lapietra direct quote said “the old man isn’t too old do to heavy work” lol
We know from DeRose that Accardo sponsored Mooney for membership, and a sponsor is supposed to be personally responsible for the conduct of the inductee. This fits with Rosselli being quoted in the Fratianno book as saying that when he first met Mooney, he was a soldier direct with Accardo. I also doubt that it’s a coincidence that the two were paesani; possibility that their families were connected, even going back to Castelvetrano/Partanna. If Accardo was directly involved in the hit, this would make sense as he may well have seen it as his personal duty to ensure that it was carried out, along with the likelihood that he may have been one of the only men that Mooney would’ve trusted to let into his home.
I also see the Spilotro murders as a similar event in that top leaders were in attendance and to some degree participated in a brutal double murder. Not exactly the same as the rumor that Accardo personally shot Giancana but similar in that it's uncharacteristic for men of that stature to be directly involved in an event like that.

If Accardo did kill Giancana it was a very symbolic act. The Spilotro murders also come across highly symbolic.
I think you also have to consider the trust factor that Frank talked about, maybe the thought really was who else would Mooney turn his back on knowing that he was persona non grata and a guy like Joey Aiuppa was currently boss, who wasn't known to leave loose ends..
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Snakes wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:37 pm

Carlisi was 61 or 62 and a capo when he beat Nick D'Andrea to death with the butt end of a shotgun.
Yes, and before killing him Carlisi beat D’Andrea with a .45 to subdue and restrain him. Clearly even in his 60s, Carlisi was a tough guy. Nick C testified that when he tried to knock D’Andrea down with a bat, it felt like it bounced off rubber and didn’t phase D’Andrea, but then Carlisi came and beat him into submission.

While not hands on like Carlisi, Frank Zizzo participated in the hit operation as well, and he was 68 at the time, died 5 years later. I’ve wondered who the other “elderly gentleman” that Nick C remembered as having accompanied Zizzo, with both of them dressed in black hats and gloves. Nick never found out who the other guy was.

Makes sense that Carlisi would want to have been hands on for this one too. D’Andrea had of course tried to kill a capo — whether unauthorized and this obviously a death sentence, or if D’Andrea had been ordered to do it and fucked up (we’ve discussed the second scenario before as a possibility, given that the admin may have been worried that Pilotto was going to flip). Either way, the guy had to go ASAP and no slip up could be afforded.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

From Scarpa in 1962:

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Be like Chicago: have fewer members, kill anyone who bothers you. A win-win for the mafia.

This is what we’ve learned so far from Scarpa as to how NYC viewed Chicago lol.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

“Informant stated that the Families in the New York area desired to operate as the organization operates in the Chicago area, where they are free to publicly assassinate anyone who disparages Italians.”
Proletarian187
Associate

Post by Proletarian187 »

Chicago definitely did it right. NY created a monster of administration and bureaucracy. But on the other hand, how else could you navigate an area with a million or so italians and literally thousands of buttons and associates? It's not really a fair comparison.

If NY tried one family it would have been even worse. Imagine trying to maneuver a family with a thousand members, it would crumble under it's own weight. Not to mention how fractured and factionalised it would become. Even though I could see NY in the future have less families.

But it is crazy to think Chicago could have had less members than places like Detroit and Philly in their heyday. If the figures of Chicago membership being around 50-60 in the good old days it's astonishing how much power they had.
Carbine genius
Proletarian187
Associate

Post by Proletarian187 »

And OF COURSE Scarpa wanted more freedom to kill people, it wasn't enough to have FBI sanction his killings?

Imagine Scarpa with a license to assassinate "anyone who disparages italians".. There would be no one left! Say good bye to irish, greeks, polacks, african american and jews lol...
Carbine genius
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Proletarian187 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:19 am Chicago definitely did it right. NY created a monster of administration and bureaucracy. But on the other hand, how else could you navigate an area with a million or so italians and literally thousands of buttons and associates? It's not really a fair comparison.

If NY tried one family it would have been even worse. Imagine trying to maneuver a family with a thousand members, it would crumble under it's own weight. Not to mention how fractured and factionalised it would become. Even though I could see NY in the future have less families.

But it is crazy to think Chicago could have had less members than places like Detroit and Philly in their heyday. If the figures of Chicago membership being around 50-60 in the good old days it's astonishing how much power they had.
That's true, but it also negatively affected them, such as during the early 90s where a lot of made guys either died or went to prison in a very short time. Monteleone took so much control (two crews and the underboss spot) simply because there was no one left on the street with that kind of juice.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Just for context, this is a list of guys who went to prison or died during this time:

Aiuppa (prison 1986)
Cerone (prison 1986)
Angelo LaPietra (prison 1986)
Lombardo (prison 1986)
Eboli (died 1987)
Glitta (died 1988)
Ferriola (died 1989)
Tocco (prison 1989)
Magnafichi (died 1989)
Infelise (prison 1990)
DeLaurentis (prison 1990)
Palermo (prison 1991)
Nick Guzzino (prison 1991)
Morgano (prison 1991)
Accardo (died 1992)
Solano (died 1992)
Carlisi (prison 1992)
Marcello (prison 1992)
Zizzo (prison 1992)
DiFronzo (prison 1993)
Jimmy LaPietra (died 1993)
Pat Marcy (died 1993)

That's 20+ guys who either died, were already imprisoned, or were indicted or imprisoned in a short six-year window.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Forgot Angelini and Cortina. If you want to go far enough ahead, throw Calabrese on there for 1995, too.
Proletarian187
Associate

Post by Proletarian187 »

But would it have been different with a 100+ members or would the indictments just have been bigger with more people going away? My guess is on the latter..

I think it was the times changing (assimilation, better technology, RICO etc) more than them being a small, tight family. However; they should have seen the writing on the wall and inducted more members during the 80's and 90'. It would have changed the "corporate culture" of the family but one has to adapt to the times or die. Their conservatism and lack of flexibility hurt them the most in the end.

I think they got lazy and a little arrogant, as one does when times are good. Just because you never had a member turn witness doesn't mean it will never happen. They should have been more pragmatic and vigilant.
Carbine genius
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

Duk's is an old school hot dog stand thats near me and I'm sure guys like Tony know of it, ive always had my suspicions about it given the reluctance of employees to talk about the owner and the weird ownership groups its always been listed under. But someone posted this in a neighborhood Facebook group that focuses on the history of the area and appears to be taken from a Sun Times article in 1978 about a raid at an office at Milwaukee and Augusta. I had no clue Dukatt was a major vending operator. Obviously this is a racket the Outfit was always involved in, Tony or anyone with knowledge of the neighborhood know any other ties that Dukatt may have had?

• 1012 N Milwaukee Ave, Tops Vending, near Milwaukee Ave & Augusta Blvd
Three photos taken outside Tops Vending Inc. (former Empire Machine Exchange), 1012 N Milwaukee Ave, near the corner of Milwaukee Ave & Augusta Blvd in the Noble Square/West Town neighborhood.
This view is looking northwest on Augusta Boulevard toward the rear entrance of the Tops Vending Inc. warehouse at 1346-1344 W Augusta Blvd.
State revenue agents, acting on information uncovered by the Better Government Association and the Chicago Sun-Times, raided 21 locations and seized 78 unlicensed pinball and video game machines and jukeboxes.
Michael J. Berry, special revenue agent, who directed one of three seven-man teams of raiders, said his men confiscated 26 machines. None of them bore the required city and state license-stickers, which would have cost a total of $2,210 a year.
Carrying them off in 22-foot-long, leased moving vans, the agents confiscated machines belonging to five vendors. Berry's raiders struck first at two locations containing machines supplied by Mervyn Dukatt, operator of Tops Vending, 1012 N Milwaukee Ave.
The two fast-food stands, licensed for selling food under the names Donald Duk's Red Hots Inc., at 636 N Ashland Ave and Duk's Red Hots at 1362 N Ashland Ave, held a total of 11 machines, none of them properly licensed. Several did carry city licenses, but they expired December 31st, 1975.
Mervyn Dukatt, whom city records revealed to be one of the largest vending-machine operators in Chicago, told BGA investigator Douglas Longhini, "I think 90 percent of the machines we have all have licenses." He said, the city recently audited Tops Vending Inc. and found its licensing in order.
City Revenue Director Thomas J. Davies, who immediately assigned city revenue investigators to examine the machines seized by the state, confirmed the recent audit. He said, he was unaware that Mr. Dukatt had been OK'd.
Davies said, his department was in the process of updating its licensing procedures for amusement devices. He said, between 900 and 1,000 citations were issued in 1977 for failing to display city licenses on game machines and jukeboxes.
Among the unlicensed devices taken were traditional, flipper-style pinball machines bearing names such as "Top Card" and "Wizard," a baseball game named "Upper Deck," "U.S. Marshal," and computerized, video-display games such as "Red Baron," "Sea Rescue," and "Flying Fortress." Each game cost 25 cents to play.
Photos courtesy of the Chicago Sun-Times Collection, Chicago History Museum.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

funkster wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:37 pm Duk's is an old school hot dog stand thats near me and I'm sure guys like Tony know of it, ive always had my suspicions about it given the reluctance of employees to talk about the owner and the weird ownership groups its always been listed under. But someone posted this in a neighborhood Facebook group that focuses on the history of the area and appears to be taken from a Sun Times article in 1978 about a raid at an office at Milwaukee and Augusta. I had no clue Dukatt was a major vending operator. Obviously this is a racket the Outfit was always involved in, Tony or anyone with knowledge of the neighborhood know any other ties that Dukatt may have had?

• 1012 N Milwaukee Ave, Tops Vending, near Milwaukee Ave & Augusta Blvd
Three photos taken outside Tops Vending Inc. (former Empire Machine Exchange), 1012 N Milwaukee Ave, near the corner of Milwaukee Ave & Augusta Blvd in the Noble Square/West Town neighborhood.
This view is looking northwest on Augusta Boulevard toward the rear entrance of the Tops Vending Inc. warehouse at 1346-1344 W Augusta Blvd.
State revenue agents, acting on information uncovered by the Better Government Association and the Chicago Sun-Times, raided 21 locations and seized 78 unlicensed pinball and video game machines and jukeboxes.
Michael J. Berry, special revenue agent, who directed one of three seven-man teams of raiders, said his men confiscated 26 machines. None of them bore the required city and state license-stickers, which would have cost a total of $2,210 a year.
Carrying them off in 22-foot-long, leased moving vans, the agents confiscated machines belonging to five vendors. Berry's raiders struck first at two locations containing machines supplied by Mervyn Dukatt, operator of Tops Vending, 1012 N Milwaukee Ave.
The two fast-food stands, licensed for selling food under the names Donald Duk's Red Hots Inc., at 636 N Ashland Ave and Duk's Red Hots at 1362 N Ashland Ave, held a total of 11 machines, none of them properly licensed. Several did carry city licenses, but they expired December 31st, 1975.
Mervyn Dukatt, whom city records revealed to be one of the largest vending-machine operators in Chicago, told BGA investigator Douglas Longhini, "I think 90 percent of the machines we have all have licenses." He said, the city recently audited Tops Vending Inc. and found its licensing in order.
City Revenue Director Thomas J. Davies, who immediately assigned city revenue investigators to examine the machines seized by the state, confirmed the recent audit. He said, he was unaware that Mr. Dukatt had been OK'd.
Davies said, his department was in the process of updating its licensing procedures for amusement devices. He said, between 900 and 1,000 citations were issued in 1977 for failing to display city licenses on game machines and jukeboxes.
Among the unlicensed devices taken were traditional, flipper-style pinball machines bearing names such as "Top Card" and "Wizard," a baseball game named "Upper Deck," "U.S. Marshal," and computerized, video-display games such as "Red Baron," "Sea Rescue," and "Flying Fortress." Each game cost 25 cents to play.
Photos courtesy of the Chicago Sun-Times Collection, Chicago History Museum.
Great work and very interesting. I know little about Dukatt and his activities myself, but it seems like it's worth looking into more.

I remember the various Duk's locations and their goofy-ass duck logo very well lol. Spent many days skipping classes in elementary school plugging away quarters into Dukatt's arcade and pinball machines at the old Division and Damen Duk's location (not my quarters, mind you, as we had certain kids who were marks who we'd get to steal quarters from their parents and such). I'd presume that Dukatt had plenty of ties to street gangs as well, as Duk's were always major gang hangouts back in the day: Division and Damen for the Division/Wolcott/Leavitt Latin Kings, Erie and Ashland for the MLDs and SDs, Blackhawk and Ashland for the Latin Jivers (before gentrification took hold, that area had a big Jivers section, Blackhawk and Bosworth, the "Brown Jungle", that they had conquered from a notorious old Polish gang called Pulaski Park back in the 1980s. I remember when in the summer you might see a couple of dozen Jivers hanging out in front of the Duk's there, not guys you'd want to play around with).

Looks like the Erie and Ashland Duk's is finally closing -- hard to imagine that many of the newcomers around there are eating red hots "dragged t'rough da garden" like we used to every day (maybe the kids from Wells still maintain the tradition of a pizza puff and a pop between classes, I dunno). Erie and Ashland was the original Duk's from way back in the '50s, amazing that it lasted this long given all of the changes in that area.