General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Villain
Filthy Few

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by Villain »

On Chirstmas Eve 1934, the leading Capone faction had a meeting which included Ricca, Rio, Nitto, Gioe and D'Andrea, followed by Bioff and Browne. Even though Maritote and Mangano were also involved in the scheme, still they were missing from that same gathering.

As for the rest of the Capone capos...in 1934 Ralph Capone was released from prison but he was still under parole and he also had additional investigations waiting for him, while in 1935 Rocco DeGrazia was sent to 18 months imprisonment, followed by Capones ally from the Chi Heights faction, Dom Roberto, being deported that same year. In 1933 and 34 Maritote was arrested on several charges and im currently having doubts if he was ever a capo.

Also, in 1935 Rio died out of natural causes and so i strongly believe that after his death and all of the previous complications with the rest of the guys, some changes occurred during that same time period, since i also believe that Rio previously held some high position like underboss or capo. Rio was once labelled as the Outfit's "secretary" and also second in command (not much files out there regarding him and so we have to go with the newspapers and Bioffs testimony) and i think it was either for Nitto or Campagna to take his place. Roberto was replaced with Emery, while Ralph's crew was slowly being taken over by Charlie Fish at the time with the help of Fusco, Heeney and Maddox. As for DeGrazia, Im not quite sure if anyone took his place while he served his prison sentence since i think that his 2 or 3 brothers possibly took care of the crew until he got out. I also strongly believe that since DAndrea was all about politics and stuff, his main guy on the streets was possibly Roti Sr and when D'Andrea went to jail in 43, it is quite possible that Roti controlled his crew.
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

My current belief is that Campagna was Ricca's underboss after Rio and Nitto was a capo, possibly of what became the Daddono crew.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:11 pm My current belief is that Campagna was Ricca's underboss after Rio and Nitto was a capo, possibly of what became the Daddono crew.
I think that certainly could've been it. Problem is of course that it seems that several different interpretations could be consistent with what evidence we have for this era.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:47 pm
Antiliar wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:11 pm My current belief is that Campagna was Ricca's underboss after Rio and Nitto was a capo, possibly of what became the Daddono crew.
I think that certainly could've been it. Problem is of course that it seems that several different interpretations could be consistent with what evidence we have for this era.
That's why I use qualifications when I make statements, such as possibly, may have been, etc.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:00 pm
That's why I use qualifications when I make statements, such as possibly, may have been, etc.
Of course, these sorts of questions are all about inference to the best explanation at hand given the facts available at the moment.

I know that you've expressed before that you had several disagreements with Eghigian's book. Maybe it would be worthwhile to lay out the best arguments for and against Nitto having been boss after Capone. Is the sole basis for this claim just speculation at the time from newsmedia, LE, or the CCC (and we know that the press speculated also that Humphreys, Guzik, Rio were the boss as well), or anything more solid or at least suggestive?
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:08 pm
Of course, these sorts of questions are all about inference to the best explanation at hand given the facts available at the moment.

I know that you've expressed before that you had several disagreements with Eghigian's book. Maybe it would be worthwhile to lay out the best arguments for and against Nitto having been boss after Capone. Is the sole basis for this claim just speculation at the time from newsmedia, LE, or the CCC (and we know that the press speculated also that Humphreys, Guzik, Rio were the boss as well), or anything more solid or at least suggestive?
https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... 8&tab=page
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:24 pm
PolackTony wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:08 pm

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... 8&tab=page
Thanks! LA T-1 was Bompensiero?
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Thanks! LA T-1 was Bompensiero?
[/quote]

"Dago Louie" Piscopo

http://mafiahistory.us/rattrap/salvatorepiscopo.html
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

And just to be sure there are no known CI accounts that name Nitto as boss?

There's evidence also that Ricca sat on the Commission in the 30s specifically?
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:37 pm And just to be sure there are no known CI accounts that name Nitto as boss?

Chicago had some earlier CI's that said Nitto was the boss, but they weren't made guys like Fratto. On top of my head, Nick Gentile implies that Ricca was boss when he helped kill Pollaccia in concert with Vito Genovese. Bill Bonanno in his book gives us the make up of the Commission up to the 1960s, and Nitto was never mentioned. He named Ricca, Accardo and Giancana as the Commission members. For what it's worth, both Joe Fosco and Mike Mags said Nitto was never a boss. Unfortunately they didn't know what he was, just that he wasn't a boss.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:20 pm
PolackTony wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:37 pm And just to be sure there are no known CI accounts that name Nitto as boss?

Chicago had some earlier CI's that said Nitto was the boss, but they weren't made guys like Fratto. On top of my head, Nick Gentile implies that Ricca was boss when he helped kill Pollaccia in concert with Vito Genovese. Bill Bonanno in his book gives us the make up of the Commission up to the 1960s, and Nitto was never mentioned. He named Ricca, Accardo and Giancana as the Commission members. For what it's worth, both Joe Fosco and Mike Mags said Nitto was never a boss. Unfortunately they didn't know what he was, just that he wasn't a boss.
Thanks for confirming, especially about Bill Bonnano on the Commission.

I'm assuming that the CI you referred to was CG T-1?

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:52 pm
Antiliar wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:20 pm

Thanks for confirming, especially about Bill Bonnano on the Commission.

I'm assuming that the CI you referred to was CG T-1?

Also this, where it was claimed that Trafficante Sr stated that Nitto had apparently sat on the Commission:

I do think Fosco's claim that Nitto was never boss does warrant being taken seriously. Were the Nappi Bros actually nephews of Nitto?
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Tangential, but if I'm not mistaken it was also Piscopo who claimed that Charlie Gioe and Frankie Diamond were knocked down because it was believed that they had cooperated with the authorities during the extortion case?
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Yes, that's the one. Notice that the chronology doesn't work. Frank Nitto died in 1943 and Campagna died in 1955 - twelve years later. Yet the CI said that Campagna was the head for only "several months"? This suggests to me that T-1 didn't have first hand information.

On the second document, Joe Massei of Detroit never sat on the Commission and never headed the Detroit brugad. He was only half-Italian, so may not have been a made member at all.

Piscopo said Rosselli thought Gioe and Diamond cooperated.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:38 pm Yes, that's the one. Notice that the chronology doesn't work. Frank Nitto died in 1943 and Campagna died in 1955 - twelve years later. Yet the CI said that Campagna was the head for only "several months"? This suggests to me that T-1 didn't have first hand information.

On the second document, Joe Massei of Detroit never sat on the Commission and never headed the Detroit brugad. He was only half-Italian, so may not have been a made member at all.

Piscopo said Rosselli thought Gioe and Diamond cooperated.
Yes, and the early CI's chronology of course also doesn't make sense for the succession from Campagna to Ricca without leaving room for Accardo. What gets me is that while CG T-1 clearly was way off on the boss succession, he gave relatively detailed info on induction and other matters, including that Buccieri and Daddono sponsored Ferriola and Tony Pine.

I had thought maybe the Trafficante thing was a typo confusing Joe Massei with Joe Profaci or something. Clearly if it was referring to Massei as sitting on the Commission it was erroneous and doesn't help to further the case for Nitto.