General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Villain
Filthy Few

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by Villain »

Heres few interesting infos regarding Paul Ricca....

- in 1940, one document which was compiled by Italian Treasury Police, was forwarded to a U.S. Customs supervisor in New York, who sent it on to the supervising customs agent in Chicago and from there made its way to Federal Bureau of Narcotics. The document showed that there was a presence of a “Grand Council of the Sicilian Mafia” in the U.S. and nine men were in charge, including New York bosses Vincent and Philip Mangano, Joe Bonanno, Joe Profaci and Joe Traina, also Stefano Magaddino from Buffalo, from Cleveland Al Polizzi and Frank Milano, and in the end Paul Ricca from Chicago. This shows that the Italian authorities developed information, possibly from their informers within the Italian Mafia that the Italian syndicate was in contact with the American La Cosa Nostra.

- in 1941, the newspapers again charged the Ricca-Nitto-Campagna ruling panel that had cleaned out the treasury of the Retail Clerks International Protective Association, Local 1248. Story goes that Max Caldwell, alias Max Pollack, an Outfit associate and also close associate of Ricca, had been in charge of the union funds. In a very short period, the gang managed to steal more than $1,000,000, which belonged to 10,000 clerks, $25 and $20 a week employees who paid $25 for “initiation” and $2 a month dues for protection. When the gang got thru with the union, there was only $62 left in the bank. Also when the gang realized that the cover was up, suddenly all of the union’s books and records were destroyed and so the State’s Attorney had nothing left to show for.

- on January 24, 1948, Ricca paid a wedding breakfast for his daughter at the Blackstone Hotel and in the end he handed $13,000 to the manager of the joint and all of it in hundred dollar bills, which he took out from his pocket. Also to clean his image, Ricca became very generous in his donations to assist Chicago's poverty stricken immigrant Italian community. Like his former boss Capone, Ricca also financed many meals for the homeless and started acting like a real “Mafia Don” with his “throne” located at 812 Lathrop Avenue, River Forest, Ill. When he wanted to take a short break from the everyday troubles, he usually went to his summer estate which was located near Long Beach, Indiana, and worth about $100,000 at the time. He also had a farm in Kendall County, Illinois, about 1,100 acres there, which has been managed, or was, during his imprisonment by Francis Curry, a coin machine racket boss from the Joliet area. Few years later Ricca also bought another huge $80,000 mansion in Miami Beach at 4385 Pine Tree Drive, which was one of the swankiest sections of the resort city.

- when the National Syndicate took over the International Teamster Union during the mid 1950’s, which was headed by Jimmy Hoffa, Ricca again exercised his power by directing Hoffa to purchase Ricca's summer house for $150,000, even though the property was valued at only $85,000. So on June 19, 1956, since the property was on the name of Ricca’s wife Nancy, she first deeded it to one of Ricca’s attorneys James Imburgio Bulger and later on August 8, Bulger sold the property to the Teamsters.

- Ricca was found guilty and began serving a 3-year prison sentence on 1st of July, 1959. He had many visitors, but one of the most notable visitors was Democratic State Senator from the West Side and long time mob associate, Roland Libonati. When Libonati visited Ricca in his prison cell on August 24, 1960, the scene was like taken out of the Godfather movie. According to a federal informant, there was a display of affection with hugging and kissing, like two “made guys” should salute each other. I’m not saying that Libonati was a member of the mob but he surely knew how to act like one. After that the two individuals exchanged few whispers and departed with a grin on their faces. I believe that Libonati came personally to assure the boss of Chicago’s underworld that he’s getting out early. In fact according to FBI reports during Ricca’s stay in prison, his main connection guy Murray Humphreys was in constant contact with Libonati to expedite the early release of their boss, which occurred in October 1961

- According to an interview with corrupt Alderman Donald Parrillo, in 1962 Ricca was playing cards with Parrillo and some other friends of his, including his son Paul Jr. This happened in Ricca's basement recreation room at his home in River Forest. Also at a separate table, Ricca was playing another round of poker with five other people because the old man loved playing the cards. Suddenly they heard music and applause coming from the upper floors of the house and that was because Ricca's wife Nancy was entertaining some ladies' group. After a while, she came down to the recreation room with a handsome young man from Italy who had a guitar strapped around his neck. She referred to her husband “Oh, Papa, I just love this young man, he's got such a beautiful voice. Can you help him?” Ricca replied "Well, what does he want?” and then he turned to the young boy and asked him “What do you want, young man?”, and out of nowhere the boy replied “I'd like to be on the Ed Sullivan Show!” “When would you like to go on it?” Ricca asked, and the boy again replied, “As soon as possible.” So Ricca allegedly said to some guy who was seated next to him “Call the Jew in California and tell him to put this guy on the Ed Sullivan Show next Sunday.” As expected, after few days there was this young Italian singer right on TV, who was named Sergio Franchi.
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

"Call the Jew in California...". Korshak I presume?
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Great info on Ricca. Another interesting and evocative point about Ricca is that according to one of those 60s CIs his nickname in the Mafia world was "Il Comparello" (the Godson). One still wonders of course who his "Godfather" was (Capone or Esposito?), but to me this connotes Ricca’s special status as a successor to the founder (thinking back of course to Maggadino's description of him as representing the "Americanized faction" of the Chicago Borgata as well as Villain's note above) and I think sheds light on the way he was perceived by his peers in the LCN.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:07 am "Call the Jew in California...". Korshak I presume?
To tell you the truth i never really thought about this and you might be right. This was during the early 60s and i dont know any other Outfit Jew on the west coast at the time except for Korshak. I dont know if Drew or Lederer had some Jewish blood in them...
Last edited by Villain on Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:14 am Great info on Ricca. Another interesting and evocative point about Ricca is that according to one of those 60s CIs his nickname in the Mafia world was "Il Comparello" (the Godson). One still wonders of course who his "Godfather" was (Capone or Esposito?), but to me this connotes Ricca’s special status as a successor to the founder (thinking back of course to Maggadino's description of him as representing the "Americanized faction" of the Chicago Borgata as well as Villain's note above) and I think sheds light on the way he was perceived by his peers in the LCN.
I think it was Gentile who gave the info on Ricca being labeled as "Il Comparello". I also agree regarding the confusion on who was really Riccas "Godfather", although we can be sure that he played a major role in spreading Capones influence within the world of CN and possibly other organizations
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:47 am
PolackTony wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:14 am Great info on Ricca. Another interesting and evocative point about Ricca is that according to one of those 60s CIs his nickname in the Mafia world was "Il Comparello" (the Godson). One still wonders of course who his "Godfather" was (Capone or Esposito?), but to me this connotes Ricca’s special status as a successor to the founder (thinking back of course to Maggadino's description of him as representing the "Americanized faction" of the Chicago Borgata as well as Villain's note above) and I think sheds light on the way he was perceived by his peers in the LCN.
I think it was Gentile who gave the info on Ricca being labeled as "Il Comparello". I also agree regarding the confusion on who was really Riccas "Godfather", although we can be sure that he played a major role in spreading Capones influence within the world of CN and possibly other organizations
I have it as coming from CI "NY T-2". Was this the code for Gentile?
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:57 am
I have no idea and maybe some of the guys can help you out but i think this is the file you are referreing to right?

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:01 pm
I have no idea and maybe some of the guys can help you out but i think this is the file you are referreing to right?

The account re Pollacia was referenced here also:

free file hosting website direct link

Were NY T-4 and NY T-2 both used for Gentile, or was this same account given by two different informants?
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

I meant "CG T-4" in the above.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:11 pm

Were NY T-4 and NY T-2 both used for Gentile, or was this same account given by two different informants?
Yes, Ive seen that too and again, I have no clue if that code was for Gentile or maybe somebody else. Btw, vice-capo is the same as sottocapo right?
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:13 pm
PolackTony wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:11 pm

Yes, Ive seen that too and again, I have no clue if that code was for Gentile or maybe somebody else. Btw, vice-capo is the same as sottocapo right?
I read "vice-capo" as sottocapo as well, given that this seems to be sourced to Gentile and gentile was clear consistent about the names and ranks. The use of quotation marks here brings up the problem of attributed speech often presented by these kinds of documents -- i.e. was "vice-capo" actually used by Gentile (where he otherwise clearly uses sottocapo) as the quotation marks suggest, or was this an outside term used by the agent compilng the report to gloss sottocapo?
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

This thread may be my favorite of them all right now - had no idea Ricca had so many connections NYC. I have to think his name "Godson" had something to do with him being close to Capone given the Neapolitan heritage and they likely both felt a chip on their shoulders with the Sicilians in NYC.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

SolarSolano wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:36 pm This thread may be my favorite of them all right now - had no idea Ricca had so many connections NYC. I have to think his name "Godson" had something to do with him being close to Capone given the Neapolitan heritage and they likely both felt a chip on their shoulders with the Sicilians in NYC.
Besides killing people, Ricca was also Capones emissary or "voice" on the east coast by representing the "Americanized" faction
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Speaking about Riccas travels on the east coast, theres also one legend (dont remember the exact year) regarding Ricca having an argument in New York with an unknown individual, allegedly associated to one of the crime families, since that same individual insulted Ricca by calling him “waiter.” The guy allegedly told Ricca to pour him some more wine, and continued calling him “waiter.” The joke obviously came from Ricca’s nickname which was the “Waiter” because of his previous work at the Bella Napoli Café, and so shortly after, the cops found a nude torso of a man in a suitcase, which was dumped near some train station in NY. The head, arms and legs had been cut off from the torso with a very sharp tool, probably a knife, and the murder was never pinned on Ricca or any other gangster from the New York area at the time.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:07 pm Speaking about Riccas travels on the east coast, theres also one legend (dont remember the exact year) regarding Ricca having an argument in New York with an unknown individual, allegedly associated to one of the crime families, since that same individual insulted Ricca by calling him “waiter.” The guy allegedly told Ricca to pour him some more wine, and continued calling him “waiter.” The joke obviously came from Ricca’s nickname which was the “Waiter” because of his previous work at the Bella Napoli Café, and so shortly after, the cops found a nude torso of a man in a suitcase, which was dumped near some train station in NY. The head, arms and legs had been cut off from the torso with a very sharp tool, probably a knife, and the murder was never pinned on Ricca or any other gangster from the New York area at the time.
"Now go home and get your corkscrew"