Stefanelli

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Stefanelli

Post by B. »

There was nothing that suggested John Gambino had "final say" over the other leaders, as he was part of a triumvirate and Licata says the entire triumvirate is at odds with official boss Peter Gotti.

What's clear is Gambino was one of the family's top leaders and not just filling in while other leaders were away. The way Nick Corozzo and his faction are discussed suggests they were in a similar position in terms of influence.

Licata talks about how the "other team" has a guy on the triumvirate as well. Danny Marino was one of the other triumvirate members, but who was the other one at this point? Bartolomeo Vernace had been part of this panel initially in 2008 when Gambino and Marino were first promoted, so I assume he was still part of it. Vernace was close to both the Sicilians and Corozzo faction, so if he was still on the triumvirate I assume the "other team" refers to whatever faction Danny Marino represented.

Licata's comment that "nobody is the boss" of the Gambinos and other discussion about the leadership make it clear that at this time there was no central authority in the family and it was being influenced by several influential factions, not unlike the sort of power sharing we've seen with the Genovese family.
Wiseguy wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:04 am I wonder which Gambino-controlled Carpenters local in New Jersey they were referring to? And who are the Romanos that are with the Genovese family?
The name Anthony Romano is mentioned. I'd be curious if he is the same one arrested in this case:
https://apnews.com/9b4bbc7d01a3d410c1b7550a01195706

Aside from that, there are the more well-known Genovese Romanos. Carmine Romano was still alive at the time of this tape and living in NJ, would be curious if he has younger relatives on record with the family.

That was one of the more interesting parts of the tapes to me, as you have the Philly acting underboss Massimino doing business with the Genovese family while the acting boss Ligambi didn't want to be involved.
TommyGambino
Full Patched

Post by TommyGambino »

outfit guy wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:34 pm The only Sylvio I'm aware is Genovese. And a lot left out is a Gambino capo that operates out of a chain store on Franklin Ave. in Belleville. This person is not mentioned in these transcripts and Cabert stood down to this person.
Thought they only had one crew in jersey
TommyGambino
Full Patched

Post by TommyGambino »

Wiseguy wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:04 am I wonder which Gambino-controlled Carpenters local in New Jersey they were referring to? And who are the Romanos that are with the Genovese family?
Didn't Merola get busted for that union?
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

B. wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:16 pm There was nothing that suggested John Gambino had "final say" over the other leaders, as he was part of a triumvirate and Licata says the entire triumvirate is at odds with official boss Peter Gotti.
V
What's clear is Gambino was one of the family's top leaders and not just filling in while other leaders were away. The way Nick Corozzo and his faction are discussed suggests they were in a similar position in terms of influence.

Licata talks about how the "other team" has a guy on the triumvirate as well. Danny Marino was one of the other triumvirate members, but who was the other one at this point? Bartolomeo Vernace had been part of this panel initially in 2008 when Gambino and Marino were first promoted, so I assume he was still part of it. Vernace was close to both the Sicilians and Corozzo faction, so if he was still on the triumvirate I assume the "other team" refers to whatever faction Danny Marino represented.

Licata's comment that "nobody is the boss" of the Gambinos and other discussion about the leadership make it clear that at this time there was no central authority in the family and it was being influenced by several influential factions, not unlike the sort of power sharing we've seen with the Genovese family.
The name Anthony Romano is mentioned. I'd be curious if he is the same one arrested in this case:

Aside from that, there are the more well-known Genovese Romanos. Carmine Romano was still alive at the time of this tape and living in NJ, would be curious if he has younger relatives on record with the family.

That was one of the more interesting parts of the tapes to me, as you have the Philly acting underboss Massimino doing business with the Genovese family while the acting boss Ligambi didn't want to be involved.
I think Giordano was listed on the Blackhand Gambino chart as being a member of the triumvirate at one time. But yes Gambino, Marino and Vernace were. Interesting about Gotti having a beef with the triumvirate. Great breakdown of the transcripts B. We all appreciate your efforts and work.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

TommyGambino wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:43 pmThought they only had one crew in jersey
The Gambinos? That's my understanding.
TommyGambino wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:46 pm
Didn't Merola get busted for that union?
That case involved two LIUNA locals.
All roads lead to New York.
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

Frank wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:07 pm
B. wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:16 pm There was nothing that suggested John Gambino had "final say" over the other leaders, as he was part of a triumvirate and Licata says the entire triumvirate is at odds with official boss Peter Gotti.
V

I think Giordano was listed on the Blackhand Gambino chart as being a member of the triumvirate at one time. But yes Gambino, Marino and Vernace were. Interesting about Gotti having a beef with the triumvirate. Great breakdown of the transcripts B. We all appreciate your efforts and work.
Yeah, pretty sure Giordano was mentioned as a member of the triimvirate at the time of the bust by Capeci but I haven't checked in a long time
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
NJShore4Life
Full Patched

Post by NJShore4Life »

Merola was a big time Gambino here in Jersey before he got jammed up. Guy used to literally be everywhere in Jersey from North Jersey to the Shore in Toms River.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

It might just be these select excerpts, but the Gambino leaders were way less forthcoming with info about their own organization. The Philly guys, especially Licata, were not letting anything go unmentioned. Lancelotti's name comes up and Licata immediately buts in with, "Caporegime." He gossips about all aspects of the organization and Ligambi joins in. Even if nothing was legally incriminating, bringing up someone's name who was killed by active members of the organization and saying "we" finally "got to get him", it's just incredible. Imagine if the Gambino brothers and Mannino started gossiping about the Francesco Oliveri murder like that on these tapes.

Licata's introduction to Joe Gambino says it all, "I've heard SO much about you!" That sounds like someone's wife talking. I wish we could tell what Joe Gambino mentioned privately to Stefanelli during the introductions. It involved Mannino and the position of caporegime in connection with the introductions Stefanelli was making. Whatever it was, Stefanelli already knew what to do. I'm figuring Mannino had recently been promoted to caporegime and Gambino was letting Stefanelli know, either so Stefanelli could introduce Mannino with his rank or he was telling him not to mention it.
Fughedaboutit
Full Patched

Post by Fughedaboutit »

Well, maybe that's how he gets his "scoops". Constant gossiping lol
"I wanna hear some noise." "Tell Salvie to clean the boat, the whole boat top to bottom" -Nicodemo "Nicky" Scarfo Sr"
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

That's another thing -- Fresolone said Licata got the nickname from a brother, who was the neighborhood gossip. He said Scoops himself was tight-lipped. Either Licata pre-gamed this Gambino meeting with xanax or Fresolone was off.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Fughedaboutit wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:23 pm
B. wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:36 pm What got me is how knowledgeable Stefanelli was. He had a lot of info on Philly, Jersey, and NYC history, had met a ton of people in prison and comes across very sharp. Granted he was cooperating and trying to get conversations going, but it's clear the knowledge was there.

It's unbelievable how much Licata gossips on these transcripts. I know these aren't the full transcripts of the dinner, but he volunteers all kinds of "need to know" information on the Philly organization to the Gambino members and while the Gambino guys are polite, they seem to offer relatively little in return about their own organization aside from Stefanelli (who had a reason to volunteer info).
Yeah it was pretty shocking to see how loose lipped Scoops was here. Seems like he was trying to impress them or something. The modern day Quack Quack? lol
That was my take too... He got Merlino made, could have saved Sodano, could have worked out a deal for Scarfo Jr., talking about the Gambino admin like a member of that family, gushing over meeting Joe Gambino, he was definitely trying to make an impression...
Philly d
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Philly d »

chin_gigante wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:18 am Couple of things:

From the way I read the transcripts I'm sure Licata says he sends out two lists of proposed members: one to the Genoveses and one to the Gambinos
I'm also pretty sure that Licata mentions a third candidate for membership who's a 'kid' in addition to JS and VM
Based on the context of the discussion, I assumed that the Anthony who proposed Dominic Grande was Anthony Staino, though Nicodemo makes sense in a lot of ways and seems perhaps more likely
Regarding the 7 guys Licata mentions as being made, I don't know whether he's referring to that happening after Merlino was arrested or after he (Licata) was released from prison around 2002/ 2003. I still think it's a possibility that Ligambi held a ceremony in 2000 to induct Joe Curro and possibly others (guys like Mike Virgilio, Martin Curro etc), and in the recent Mob Talk about making ceremonies, DS mentioned how 15 to 17 guys had been made since 2001
I agree that Staino is likely the Anthony who drove Licata and Fazzini to the 2007 making ceremony, just based on how he's likely to be there anyway as a captain and it was also Staino who drove Licata, Centorino and Fazzini to the 2009 Christmas party
The bit about Nick Milano hanging out with Alite and Casasanto could perhaps be the reason why he was considered inactive on the 2009 Philly PD chart; perhaps he was put on the shelf following the Casasanto murder (though, to the contrary, Casasanto's brother continued to be around the Merlino group after this and was part of the Lancellotti and Nicodemo's Atlantic City gambling ring)
I agree - both families were getting a list.
Philly d
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Philly d »

B. wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:36 pm What got me is how knowledgeable Stefanelli was. He had a lot of info on Philly, Jersey, and NYC history, had met a ton of people in prison and comes across very sharp. Granted he was cooperating and trying to get conversations going, but it's clear the knowledge was there.

It's unbelievable how much Licata gossips on these transcripts. I know these aren't the full transcripts of the dinner, but he volunteers all kinds of "need to know" information on the Philly organization to the Gambino members and while the Gambino guys are polite, they seem to offer relatively little in return about their own organization aside from Stefanelli (who had a reason to volunteer info).
Totally agree with this sentiment.
dack2001
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by dack2001 »

Scoops is a politician, a real survivor considering all the stuff he's been through going back to Bananas. But gotta remember it was a Philly trial and these excerpts are from a motion by Eddie Jacobs, which only pertains to statements that could in any way go towards proving the racketeering conspiracy exists. No reason to put in any statements by the Gambino guys about their group in the motion he filed unless it would pertain to some kind of relationship or knowledge of the Philly guys.
newera_212
Full Patched

Post by newera_212 »

B. wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:08 pm It might just be these select excerpts, but the Gambino leaders were way less forthcoming with info about their own organization. The Philly guys, especially Licata, were not letting anything go unmentioned. Lancelotti's name comes up and Licata immediately buts in with, "Caporegime." He gossips about all aspects of the organization and Ligambi joins in. Even if nothing was legally incriminating, bringing up someone's name who was killed by active members of the organization and saying "we" finally "got to get him", it's just incredible. Imagine if the Gambino brothers and Mannino started gossiping about the Francesco Oliveri murder like that on these tapes.

Licata's introduction to Joe Gambino says it all, "I've heard SO much about you!" That sounds like someone's wife talking. I wish we could tell what Joe Gambino mentioned privately to Stefanelli during the introductions. It involved Mannino and the position of caporegime in connection with the introductions Stefanelli was making. Whatever it was, Stefanelli already knew what to do. I'm figuring Mannino had recently been promoted to caporegime and Gambino was letting Stefanelli know, either so Stefanelli could introduce Mannino with his rank or he was telling him not to mention it.
exactly. lmao. i felt the same thing. it took me a while to realize but all of a sudden after reading through the transcripts it hit me that like 75% of the lines were prefaced with a “SL”. It was just Licata and Ligambi talking, with Skins repeating and clarifying things, and trying to steer the conversation as subtly as possible.

always wondered why Trucchio and Roccaforte were at that meeting. it makes a little more sense after reading the transcripts I guess. trucchio seemed right at home and knew a lot of those Philly guys being discussed, seemed to be a lot more plugged in than i figure he would be. despite him being a capo i always pegged him for a thug, not the political type. i guess i was wrong