General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by PolackTony »

Patrickgold wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:20 pm
Antiliar wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:34 pm
Patrickgold wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:25 pm Just heard Nick Calabrese passed away. It’s funny bc I recently heard that he was just living in the Norridge area. I guess he was not afraid of revenge. Heard his health was bad so I’m not surprised that he passed away.
He was 80 years old, so lived a long life.
Yes he did. I just saw the gangster report and it said he died in the witness protection program. Not true. He was living in Norridge with his wife.
Yeah I don’t know if he really was or wasn’t in Witsec still when he died, but this was what CBS Channel 2 reported as well:

https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/news/mo ... rese-dies/
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

Incredible that Drummond is still alive, he's got to be up there as well.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

funkster wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:39 pm Incredible that Drummond is still alive, he's got to be up there as well.
Yeah I was just thinking the same thing about Drummond lol.

When I was a kid he was an old man; now I’m old, and he’s still old!
Coloboy
Straightened out

Post by Coloboy »

It is telling that the two guys who directly caused the largest Outfit case of the past 30 years (Frank Jr. and Nick), just walk(ed) around Chicago without fear of retribution.

One could theoretically argue that no one cared that Frank Sr. and his crew took a bust. But that case took down Joey Lombardo and Jimmy Marcello for life. Seems like a big deal.
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

Coloboy wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:33 am It is telling that the two guys who directly caused the largest Outfit case of the past 30 years (Frank Jr. and Nick), just walk(ed) around Chicago without fear of retribution.

One could theoretically argue that no one cared that Frank Sr. and his crew took a bust. But that case took down Joey Lombardo and Jimmy Marcello for life. Seems like a big deal.
Totally agree with you. I couldn’t believe he was living in Norridge. That being said, I’m sure he was still under some type of protection from the Feds and if anyone did kill him, they have been rounded up very quickly. The New York guys walk around freely too. It’s just too difficult to get away with killing someone these days, especially if the Feds are watching
Coloboy
Straightened out

Post by Coloboy »

Patrickgold wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:38 am
Coloboy wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:33 am It is telling that the two guys who directly caused the largest Outfit case of the past 30 years (Frank Jr. and Nick), just walk(ed) around Chicago without fear of retribution.

Totally agree with you. I couldn’t believe he was living in Norridge. That being said, I’m sure he was still under some type of protection from the Feds and if anyone did kill him, they have been rounded up very quickly
For sure. I can't imagine a scenario in 2023 where they could even think of killing a high level person like that. I imagine it's unlikely we will see something like Zizzo ever again. Could you imagine if someone like Cautadella or Albie Vena just disappeared one day? If they hit anyone in this day and age, it's likely to be some gang banger type that would attract less attention.
NorthBuffalo
Straightened out

Post by NorthBuffalo »

Snakes wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:05 am
NorthBuffalo wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:51 am
Patrickgold wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:06 am
PolackTony wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:58 pm
Patrickgold wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:53 am Has it been confirmed that Butch Petrocelli was an FBI informant. Jimmy I’s son made an interesting comment on Facebook the other day. I attached the screenshot to this message. Interesting he doesn’t say anything about Scarpelli who also turned FBI informant before he killed himself.
Pat, you posted this a while back and it got lost in the shuffle it seems. Interesting claim by Tony I; I’m not aware that Butchie was ever confirmed as a CI. He certainly never flipped and testified against Jimmy and Harry.

Maybe Snakes has some info on Petrocelli’s alleged informing?
The interesting thing about it Tony is that as much of a reputation that the wild bunch had, almost all of them have been accused of being informants at one time or another. I posted that thing about Butch before the Jimmy I accusation. Now that Jimmy has been accused, you have Butch, Scarpelli Jimmy I and Scalise have all been accused at one time or another. The only ones that have not are Aleman and Borsellini. 4 out of 6.
Leonard Foresta was part of that crew too right? I believe he testified. When was Scalise an informant?
Well, Scalise was a "technical advisor" for a major film, so I guess people thought he was being too loose with his associations? I've never heard of him being an informant beyond that.

Same for Butch, who seemed to have a rep as a snitch *within* the org, for example, setting up Borsellino by accusing him of holding back on what he kicked up or stealing money earmarked for Aleman (both of which Butch was probably more guilty of than Borsellino).
You guys would know better, but I have read quite a bit about Harry Aleman and he also alleged Petrocelli was an informant - perhaps that is where Inendino's son was going with that. His claim was made on an appeal that was denied.

https://cite.case.law/f2d/878/1009/
NorthBuffalo
Straightened out

Post by NorthBuffalo »

Coloboy wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:40 am

Totally agree with you. I couldn’t believe he was living in Norridge. That being said, I’m sure he was still under some type of protection from the Feds and if anyone did kill him, they have been rounded up very quickly
For sure. I can't imagine a scenario in 2023 where they could even think of killing a high level person like that. I imagine it's unlikely we will see something like Zizzo ever again. Could you imagine if someone like Cautadella or Albie Vena just disappeared one day? If they hit anyone in this day and age, it's likely to be some gang banger type that would attract less attention.
I mean the Outfit nearly had Nick before he testified through the US Marshall who was later indicted - they were clearly trying to get at him at one point.
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

NorthBuffalo wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:46 am

I mean the Outfit nearly had Nick before he testified through the US Marshall who was later indicted - they were clearly trying to get at him at one point.
They did but that was 20 years ago. Cells phones are so easy to track and there are camera everywhere. it is something that would probably have to be farmed out to an outside group like the cartels in my opinion.
NorthBuffalo
Straightened out

Post by NorthBuffalo »

Patrickgold wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:07 am
NorthBuffalo wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:46 am

They did but that was 20 years ago. Cells phones are so easy to track and there are camera everywhere. it is something that would probably have to be farmed out to an outside group like the cartels in my opinion.
I think in Chicago these guys are more self-motivated - if no one was on the street who was much affected by Calabrese, I agree they wouldn't risk it today. They aren't doing things for the 'family' so much in Chicago by my read - its more for 'the thing' or the rackets and income that they would resort to that. I'm not sure that would be the case in other cities but then again I've read about quite a few guys like Salemme and Cookie D'Urso who haven't been touched.

I met one of the sons of Marcello who since passed away from cancer years ago at a laborers convention and he was a very motivated guy. I wonder what his other kids or those of Lombardo are thinking reading this - they all seem to be legitimate people, but I'm sure it still made them sick bc he put their fathers away for life.
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

Eh, high level mobster getting killed is still possible in NY and Chicago in my opinion. Maybe not likely, but possible. A high level informant or former govt witness? Never. It'd be like pissing in the governments face. That's why sammy walks around without fear of repercussions really. Hell, theyre all on youtube.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

Yes Tony about Drummond. Thats as big of news as Nick dying lol. Drummond would be interesting to talk to about Outfit
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

We’ve discussed the info reported here by the IN FBI office on Tony Pinelli before, but we can now be sure who the informants were (thanks to Ed for his work on Piscopo also). IP T-5 was Sal Piscopo, T-6 was Augie Maniaci, and T-7 was Frank Bompensiero; all three were contacted between 1967 and ‘68 for the intel used in this report.

Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Off topic but based on the recommendations as well as the very interesting episode we did this week, I purchased Family Secrets on kindle and giving it a read.

I'm 35 or so pages in and what strikes me is the network of contacts and connections that soldier Frank Calabrese maintained. From crooked cops visiting him in prison to provide him info to his having people ready to provide an alibi that he was with on the night of the Feccorata(?) Murder.

First mob book I've purchased since Mob Prince w Leonetti and Burnstein. I'm really enjoying it. Thank you for the recommendation.

Edit/Question:

Is there a place for me to read Nick Calabrese's testimony as well as the wiretapped conversations between the Calabrese father and son? I remember reading snippits of it in the papers back when this case was going on. It was almost 20 years ago but I remember Frank saying they had about 90 members? #1 and #2. That Joe Lombardo was out? It's all a blur at this point.
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

Angelo Santino wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:38 am Off topic but based on the recommendations as well as the very interesting episode we did this week, I purchased Family Secrets on kindle and giving it a read.

I'm 35 or so pages in and what strikes me is the network of contacts and connections that soldier Frank Calabrese maintained. From crooked cops visiting him in prison to provide him info to his having people ready to provide an alibi that he was with on the night of the Feccorata(?) Murder.

First mob book I've purchased since Mob Prince w Leonetti and Burnstein. I'm really enjoying it. Thank you for the recommendation.

Edit/Question:

Is there a place for me to read Nick Calabrese's testimony as well as the wiretapped conversations between the Calabrese father and son? I remember reading snippits of it in the papers back when this case was going on. It was almost 20 years ago but I remember Frank saying they had about 90 members? #1 and #2. That Joe Lombardo was out? It's all a blur at this point.
I have a copy of his testimony if you want i can email it to you.