Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

stubbs
Straightened out

Re: Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Post by stubbs »

It seems like there’s the mafia as a network with strict membership requirements, rules, and protocols. Then there’s the mafia as a group of people committing organized crimes.

We often assume these things are the same, but the confusion exists when the former exists without the latter. That is, when the network of mafia members is active but no mafia crimes are being committed.

Using the New Orleans example, they have reportedly one made member still alive in Joseph Gagliano. He may not be active today in running mafia-style crimes, but if an outside family wants to setup shop down in the Crescent City, they’d likely still be required to ask Gagliano for permission to operate.

So, to the current made members in the Five Families (and others), New Orleans is still an active family. There’s a representative in New Orleans who is their point of contact in the city. But, in reality there’s very likely zero active LCN rackets left in New Orleans today.

This seems to be the point of contention and confusion between Wiseguy’s position and everyone else. Todaro can be Buffalo’s representative and point of contact to the other families. He can meet with other bosses, send messages, approve new recruits for membership, etc. He’s still active within the mafia network. But that doesn’t mean he’s currently in charge of running or directing mafia crimes.

The real question we’re trying to determine is if mafia style / rico crimes are being committed in Buffalo under the direction of the local family. All signs point to the network still being active, but we haven’t seen any rico cases lately proving there’s mafia crimes going on.

So far, it seems like Gerace hasn’t been charged with a rico act yet. Also, it doesn’t seem like it’s been reported that Gerace is a made member and/or if Gerace was operating his crimes under the direction of Todaro, kicking up tribute, etc. That may still be yet to come, and it wouldn’t surprise me, but it’s entirely possible he’s been operating on his own, without LCN or kicking up tribute.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

B. wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:07 pm
cavita wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:01 pm What constitutes a lack of activity?
Inducting members, promoting underbosses, contacting NYC leaders, making introductions to NYC members, drug dealing, random scams, unsolved murders.
Every other post I'm enjoyed a smile at the least, the rest likely a muted chuckle, and not unrarely, several a laugh out loud from the enjoyment your contributions give.
This compliment is meant and the words chosen specifically.
This post is to to extend appreciation for your two things, and I KNOW Im not alone in extending thanks for the following:
1) Your wit. It is a pleasure to read your posts
2) Your adherence to evidence, the scientific method and logic.

It may appear that its just you at 'the front line' right now, but its not. Most are on your side, but lack your stamina, patience and kindness.

I hope you and the former governor of New Joysey find writers jobs someday, and someday sooner than later. I would sincerely enjoy a weekly column from either of you on politics, the economy, etc etc. I doubt I would be alone in this score.

I also think I speak for a a few here.

Thank you for your contributions B.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

stubbs wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:01 pm It seems like there’s the mafia as a network with strict membership requirements, rules, and protocols. Then there’s the mafia as a group of people committing organized crimes.

We often assume these things are the same, but the confusion exists when the former exists without the latter. That is, when the network of mafia members is active but no mafia crimes are being committed.

Using the New Orleans example, they have reportedly one made member still alive in Joseph Gagliano. He may not be active today in running mafia-style crimes, but if an outside family wants to setup shop down in the Crescent City, they’d likely still be required to ask Gagliano for permission to operate.
Best answer so far and this also might explain the current situation in other families. Great thread guys and thanks.
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
calabrianwatch
Straightened out

Post by calabrianwatch »

B. wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:23 pm
Wiseguy wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:58 pm
B. wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:19 pm

Dual membership appears to be possible in the 'ndrangheta and Cosa Nostra. Tony Lima inducted a Camorrista in SF, Cosmo Sandalo was an 'ndrangheta member who appears to have been made into the Gambino family, and Stefano Magaddino implies Giacomo Luppino was an 'ndrangheta member as well though he is also believed to have been a Buffalo member like his sons and grandson. Gentile said the Camorristi in Pittsburgh were brought into Cosa Nostra in the 1910s. Some of the NYC/NJ mainlanders inducted into Cosa Nostra in the 1920s/1930s are believed to have first belonged to Camorra groups. Dual membership is possible, but not a formal transfer like the Sicilian and American Cosa Nostra can do.

From the Morena tapes, we know Domenico Violi was representing a Cosa Nostra organization that followed the rules and protocol of Cosa Nostra, was recognized by other Cosa Nostra organizations, and used the same language as Cosa Nostra. He joined a Cosa Nostra family that has existed for over a century, led by a boss whose father and great-uncle were previous bosses.

The Ontario faction of the Buffalo family has strong connections to both local and international 'ndrangheta groups and some of them could even have dual membership, like Giacomo Luppino. For all practical purposes, Ontario "organized crime" could be described as a collaboration between the 'ndrangheta and Buffalo Cosa Nostra (in addition to other groups), but that doesn't make the organization a hybrid and the Morena investigation revealed a Cosa Nostra group. If more comes out from that investigation that conflicts with this, I will stand corrected, but everything we've seen shows the same organization it's always been with newer members.

Someone can be Calabrian, spend all of his time with 'ndrangheta figures, do all of his business with 'ndrangheta figures, even be made into the 'ndrangheta himself, but when he's made into Cosa Nostra, he represents that organization separately from his association or even membership with the 'ndrangheta.

Indeed. As I said just above in this thread it is a bigger picture mostly about Hamilton in my view. When Vito died in Montreal, Musitano remained the only one 'officially' linked to Montreal in Hamilton/Ontario. And now Musitano is over and done. The Violis were not exactly in a good relationship with Vito (for obvious reasons). They have always been in the middle - from Calabrian/ndrangheta past (and the time of the run from Montreal) to their own crime family in Hamilton - they have family relationships in Buffalo, people travel for funerals, weddings etc, so their Buffalo 'official' connection make sense in that sense, to avoid losing any residual family power altogether. And that easily can remain an LCN affiliation. Giacomo Luppino was linked to Buffalo in that sense, but he was also very influential in the ndrangheta in Toronto, in the 1970s he was in happy relationships with Michele Commisso- he was part of the chamber of control at some point - so he obviously had double affiliation. His son Vincenzo was close to De Leo as well. With Cece Luppino unwilling to follow on his family's path and their family links back down to Siderno, and with the growing influence of the Commisso/Figliomeni side from Toronto, the Violi have to make choices, why couldn't one of these choices to hold hands onto both sides, as the family Luppino-Violi has always pretty much done? With or without membership.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Chris Christie wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:45 am
johnny_scootch wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:43 am
CabriniGreen wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:20 am Lol, is it the Buffalo borgata, OR, the Violi- Luppino organization?
I think it's pretty clear the Luppino's have always been a part of the Buffalo family going all the way back to Giacomo.
Clear as day.
Lol, then tell Wisegiy please..... I KNOW what they are ...
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Wiseguy wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:58 pm
B. wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:19 pm
Wiseguy wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:02 pm Or was it a case of the family - for whatever inexplicable, never-before-done reason - deciding to start making new members in large numbers at some point in particular?
Do you mean when NYC didn't make guys for nearly 15 years beginning in 1931 and eventually held mass inductions in the 1950s, resulting in internal controversy for the entire mafia that had to be addressed at a national meeting of all families?
Or when they didn't make guys for 19 years between 1957 and 1976 and held mass inductions throughout the 1970s and 80s?
Or when Valachi said the NYC families closed the books for a substantial period of time before he was made pre-1930?
Or when the Colombo family wasn't allowed to make any members from 1991-2000 and made up for lost time afterward?
Or when Philadelphia members complained that Angelo Bruno barely inducted any members from the mid-1960s until his 1980 death, to be followed by Scarfo holding mass inductions?
Or when Dallas didn't make any members for almost forty years then finally made a new group right when they were on the verge of dying out?
Or when New Orleans didn't induct many members for decades and decided to open their books in 1968 when they were down to 5 members?

"That's ancient history!"

The mafia has a long tradition of closing its books for substantial periods of time and letting its membership thin out only to resume inductions, assuming that's what happened in this case. I'd just as well believe they made a few members here and there all along and inside sources haven't been available to confirm.
That's a poor and disingenuous comparison and you know it. Those were obviously viable families who had years ahead of them before decline. Even with the freeze of new members, they were still very active. For the past 20 years or so, Buffalo hasn't been. That's the difference.
SantoClaus wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:34 am
johnny_scootch wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:49 am You guys know what the definition of insanity is right?
Doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result.
That's actually not the definition of insanity but whatever.
Chris Christie wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:26 am I'm calm... but I have to defend Wiseguy here, all he said was "I'm not sure I agree" which speaks to his dedication to the truth because he could have just not posted it at all if he didn't agree with it. And I- as a mod- went back and edited the message once I learned she didn't want her emails posted. He didn't dismiss her outright.

Regarding the Todaro's affiliation it's very simple to me- Violi was made Underboss (this is a Mafia rank, not a Ndrangheta one), the connections were within the Mafia network- NY and Montreal. The protocol for entering the organization- ceremony or not- was a Mafia one.

Had this been reversed and Violi said that Todaro made him Crimine (equiv to Mafia Underboss) and they had meetings with the GTA Ndrangheta that would have been a headfuck and it would have collaborated the Todaros being something other than LCN. But it's not. Violi is Calabrian but he joined the Mafia, we'd have to ask him why. But his family had a history of Mafia affiliation so it's not like it's a big question mark or something extraordinary.
Cabrini's 3rd grade reading comprehension strikes again. Nobody dismissed anything. I'm still not even sure what she means exactly.
NickleCity wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:45 am Pogo and Wiseguy you will like this:
Former Buffalo FBI SAC Peter Ahearn (2001-2006) is pretty much sticking to the statement made by Adam Cohen, another former Buffalo FBI SAC, who in 2017 said the mob is dead. In a phone interview with Charlie Specht Ahearn says that if there are no rico charges, then you don't have to prove the mafia. He continued by suggesting there is big difference between organized crime and criminals using a relatives names and reputation who were thought to have been involved. However it does sound like he is leaving the door ever so slightly cracked for this possibility the mob is alive in Buffalo. (Background: 2006 was the beginning of the "Dead Years.")

Here is the video from WKBW reporter Charlie Specht: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdRE0Lwdj8k

A possible counter to Ahearn's thought process is provide by Dan Herbeck and Lou Michel who reported:
The latest investigation is a continuation of unsuccessful efforts that date back more than a century, long before the iron-fisted reign of the late Stefano Magaddino, the most powerful Mafia leader in Buffalo’s history.

If there is a powerful Mafia family in Buffalo, law enforcement officials have never proven it.

Despite some successful prosecutions for murder, bookmaking, loan sharking, drug trafficking, theft and other crimes, law enforcement has never made a criminal racketeering case against leaders of the alleged Buffalo Mafia organization.
Link to article with the above quote: https://buffalonews.com/news/local/crim ... fe74b.html
Thanks for posting. Ahearn laid it out as simply as it can be. And Gerace is a perfect example of it.

And similar to what I said above, Herbeck and Michel's argument that the lack of any clear Mafia RICO case now is simply a continuation of decades past is a bad comparison considering the identifiable state and activity of the Buffalo LCN then and now.

By the way, what people are calling the "dead years" would be before 2006, as the last really significant activity was in the 1990s. 2000s and on seems to be more of a residual nature. The video mentions that.
When you say you dont understand what she means, Sergi.... can we discuss it? Lol, it no? Are you going to hit me with the numbers again. And there you go with the insults again, you just cant help yourself, lol..

And for the record, I was in gifted classes for forever.... they tried to give me pre SATs in 6th grade. Theres a good reason I never joined the " Family business", I saw it was dumb at age 5.....
calabrianwatch
Straightened out

Post by calabrianwatch »

See my point above - for some investigators the Violi are with the 'ndrangheta today due to their double past. And Luppino was both, with Buffalo and with Toronto Sidernesi, so why can't the Violi be also both?
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Villain wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:50 pm
stubbs wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:01 pm It seems like there’s the mafia as a network with strict membership requirements, rules, and protocols. Then there’s the mafia as a group of people committing organized crimes.

Best answer so far and this also might explain the current situation in other families. Great thread guys and thanks.
Two very recent examples, not in the US but Sicily...

Accursio Diminio.... a boss in Sciacca. But he was a gym teacher and runs a fish market. Whatever his status and connection in Sicily, it apparently wasnt profitable enough for him to want to stay. Not enough operations to go around?

Even better.....

Nicolo Pidone... boss of Calatifimi.... but he was a seasonal worker of the forestry. .. I'm not even sure if he was an active " criminal" beyond being a mafia member.

This is actually something that came up in a Pennisi pod, Hootie was talking about the Genovese guys working real jobs, and how that's how it was originally in Sicily. That a mafiosi could be the tailor, your barber, the shopkeeper, that they wernt all like sitting around social clubs, and just planning scores and crimes. They really blended into the surroundings. This is a big part of what B., Chris have explained..... that at its core origin, it's not about any particular racket, or even rackets at all.....

The mafia itself is a hybrid like organization. It has asymmetric violence like terrorism, hides in plain sight like a resistance movement, holds territory like a gang, builds economic monopolies like a corrupt merchant guild.....

I previously stated, a continuing criminal enterprise, with familial ties to both Cosa Nostra and Ndrangheta.
Let's say Wiseguys right, ( and he may very well be... at least until Dom Violi gets out in a couple years...) and the indictments dry up. What do we call it then? A family gone dormant? Or is it JUST a continuing criminal enterprise with Italians?

Was Tony Ivarone over Niagra Falls? Is there anyone out there capable of replacing him if he was?

Hamilton. Niagra. @ Nickelcity any other territories represented by active guys you know of?
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

calabrianwatch wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:43 am See my point above - for some investigators the Violi are with the 'ndrangheta today due to their double past. And Luppino was both, with Buffalo and with Toronto Sidernesi, so why can't the Violi be also both?
They DONT see it, lol..... it's only this persistent is Buffalo is or isnt that's got everyone transfixed.... that stuff is interesting as hell....
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

Wiseguy wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:45 pm Todaro will keep making pizza. The dozen aged and inactive members we can identify will continue to die off. And the resurgent theory will run out of steam with enough time gone by. Though I imagine NickleCity will do his best to keep the hope train going as long as possible.
I will do my best to keep the hope train going as long as possible? Why are you making me out to be some sort of “fanboy” of the Buffalo mob? What basis do you have for this impression?

This is a repeated innuendo thrown at those who believe a crime family thought to be dead by the majority, is actually alive. Why is this innuendo mentioned? To belittle? To discredit?

Do you know me personally enough to make this accusation? The answer is a resounding no!

The idea of me being a “fanboy” of the Buffalo mafia could not be further from the truth!

The mob sickens me! It is a parasite that eats away at the fabric of a community and gradually sucks the life out of it for its own gain. I do not want the Buffalo mob to exist. I want it dismantled so there is more of a level playing field in WNY! People who live here know those who are connected have a hand up.

I want the mafia gone because I have seen its affects on my community and on individuals like the gentleman I know who won’t make his rent this month, and probably not next month, or the month after that because of what he owes his bookie for his sports gambling addiction I could keep going with examples, but you get my point.

Wiseguy, you don’t have the personal knowledge to make the innuendo you made. This is an important point in this: knowledge divorced from experience or relationship is limited. One with this type of knowledge will never have the depth of understanding of someone who experiences it.

When it come to epistemology (the study of how we know) and alethiology (the study of truth) postmodern theory emphasizes the personal and experience whereas modern theory emphasized the abstract “fact” and removal of ones personal experience in arriving at knowledge and truth. The fact is postmodern theory is a reaction against the excesses of the modern period in this regard, and modern theory is needed to counterbalance a swing to far to the “personal” and “experience.”

My point: I appreciate your- just the facts approach Wiseguy. But one should also appreciate those who bring a different type of knowledge based on their personal experiences in a community where the mafia (or mafia like association) is active. Consider this type of information, but by all means analyze what I or anyone like me says with known facts. I hope everyone can see I try to balance what I know and experience with sources and facts and when I can’t I emphasize taking my information with a grain of salt.
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

calabrianwatch wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:43 am See my point above - for some investigators the Violi are with the 'ndrangheta today due to their double past. And Luppino was both, with Buffalo and with Toronto Sidernesi, so why can't the Violi be also both?
Mafiosi can only serve one master. Whenever it was Giacomo Luppino was made into the Buffalo family he most likely would have had to renounce membership in his previous Ndrina. Though with his knowledge of Ndrangheta members customs and internal politics he was able to serve as the conduit between the Buffalo Cosa Nostra and the Canadian Ndrangheta. Now it's not all black and white and I do believe Giacomo was allowed to keep some sort of honorary status within the Ndrangheta to help facilitate high level discussions in the same way Ndrangheta bosses had been previously made in Sicily. The difference being Giacomo became a full Cosa Nostra member subservient to the Buffalo family and the Ndrangheta bosses who got made into Cosa Nostra stayed Ndrangheta bosses.

It's clear Violi is 100% Buffalo Cosa Nostra. I doubt with a grandfather father and uncles all Cosa Nostra members he was even eligible for Ndrangheta membership. Remember Joe Violi was deciding between Buffalo and Bonannos not Buffalo, Bonannos and Sidernesi. It seems like for whatever reasons joining the Ndrangheta was not a viable path for them.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Wiseguy wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:55 pm
Chris Christie wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:34 pmWe can't have it both ways, we get at one guy (Scott) for listing every (Detroit) operative as a member (a fallacy) and then argue it can't be an organization when its membership is too low and doesn't fit the New York Model that we outsiders ascribe to a Mafia Organization. Cleveland in 1985 had less than 10 active members running what was a 200+ manned conspiracy across the state of Ohio.
I'm not sure that's "having it both ways."

Scott played fast and loose with his charts over the years, leading them to grow exponentially in size and hierarchical complexity. As you well know, this led to a lot of heated debates and only later on did he admit not everyone on his charts was made. But even then, he still maintained Detroit has 30-40 members, which is ridiculous. As I recently mentioned, it appears Detroit very well may be in single digits.

On the flip side, I've never claimed there was some specific membership number, above which a family is viable and below which it's not. But it goes without saying when the numbers get small enough to have difficulty staffing even a basic hierarchy, the viability is in question. Especially when there's a lack of activity to go along with a lack of organization.

And, considering the feds had written Cleveland off by the early 1990s, they were obviously on their last legs 5 years before.
It kinda is.

First, yes, Scott was mistaken to label everyone a member, but he's not the only one. It's done for Chicago all the time and admitably, even myself at one point for the early period. We've all grown much more conservative with the member estimates, including Scott. He didn't see himself as playing fast and loose because every name listed existed. So even though Detroit may hold a much smaller membership as an organization, it doesn't change the scope of its operations. Org and Op, they go hand in hand and each aspect makes a Family a Family. And also, Scott has grown and evolved. He learned the folly of his old ways, much like I did. I think we're all smarter about this subject than we were 5-10 years ago.

Second, a group doesn't need a hierarchy to be functional. In fact there's precedent for it outside of Palermo in western Sicily where there are much smaller groups who don't have captains but still have an administration. This carries over into the US in places like CL and Scranton and NO. These Bosses may not control a fully-organized borgata with crews of amico nos leaving bodies in the street, but they are still area representatives who are recognized by the national mafia.

The Mafia doesn't care what the Feds think. I doubt Joe Loose or Gagliano or D'Elia were sitting around moping that the FBI doesn't consider them viable and pondered the idea of making 20 guys to change that. If we're going to write these guys off as non-viable, we should just go all out and write off all the inactive members in NY. For every Facchiano there's likely 30 senior citizens who are just doing nothing. That would sure slim down those family charts. But no one is suggesting that.

Now, going back to yours and Pogo's viability thesis, I agree and consider it a good measuring tool to gauge activity. if someone were to say San Francisco is still active in 2021 without any Violi's on wiretap saying so, I'd jump to your argument and go along with the fact that there hasn't been any word or activity to come out of that city for the past 30-40 years. But if it did come out that we had a Violi-like figure stating they were around with 20 members then that must be considered and taken seriously. Just because we don't see something doesn't mean its not there and its egotistical to think that we on our laptops can figure out a secret society in a city none of us live in.

Again, I love you guys, we're loyal opposition keeping each other grounded in the search for truth. If anything seemed like an insult from any one of us to the other, and I'm including B. in this, it's not. We're all expertised men having a discussion and lively debate which is much more interesting than everyone agreeing with each other I think.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

NickleCity wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:37 am
Wiseguy wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:45 pm Todaro will keep making pizza. The dozen aged and inactive members we can identify will continue to die off. And the resurgent theory will run out of steam with enough time gone by. Though I imagine NickleCity will do his best to keep the hope train going as long as possible.
I will do my best to keep the hope train going as long as possible? Why are you making me out to be some sort of “fanboy” of the Buffalo mob? What basis do you have for this impression?

This is a repeated innuendo thrown at those who believe a crime family thought to be dead by the majority, is actually alive. Why is this innuendo mentioned? To belittle? To discredit?

Do you know me personally enough to make this accusation? The answer is a resounding no!

The idea of me being a “fanboy” of the Buffalo mafia could not be further from the truth!

The mob sickens me! It is a parasite that eats away at the fabric of a community and gradually sucks the life out of it for its own gain. I do not want the Buffalo mob to exist. I want it dismantled so there is more of a level playing field in WNY! People who live here know those who are connected have a hand up.

I want the mafia gone because I have seen its affects on my community and on individuals like the gentleman I know who won’t make his rent this month, and probably not next month, or the month after that because of what he owes his bookie for his sports gambling addiction I could keep going with examples, but you get my point.

Wiseguy, you don’t have the personal knowledge to make the innuendo you made. This is an important point in this: knowledge divorced from experience or relationship is limited. One with this type of knowledge will never have the depth of understanding of someone who experiences it.

When it come to epistemology (the study of how we know) and alethiology (the study of truth) postmodern theory emphasizes the personal and experience whereas modern theory emphasized the abstract “fact” and removal of ones personal experience in arriving at knowledge and truth. The fact is postmodern theory is a reaction against the excesses of the modern period in this regard, and modern theory is needed to counterbalance a swing to far to the “personal” and “experience.”

My point: I appreciate your- just the facts approach Wiseguy. But one should also appreciate those who bring a different type of knowledge based on their personal experiences in a community where the mafia (or mafia like association) is active. Consider this type of information, but by all means analyze what I or anyone like me says with known facts. I hope everyone can see I try to balance what I know and experience with sources and facts and when I can’t I emphasize taking my information with a grain of salt.
I think you've done a very good job of laying things out and backing it up with evidence and resources. I enjoyed your other post but I don't know enough to comment on any of it.
calabrianwatch
Straightened out

Post by calabrianwatch »

johnny_scootch wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:44 am
Mafiosi can only serve one master. Whenever it was Giacomo Luppino was made into the Buffalo family he most likely would have had to renounce membership in his previous Ndrina. Though with his knowledge of Ndrangheta members customs and internal politics he was able to serve as the conduit between the Buffalo Cosa Nostra and the Canadian Ndrangheta. Now it's not all black and white and I do believe Giacomo was allowed to keep some sort of honorary status within the Ndrangheta to help facilitate high level discussions in the same way Ndrangheta bosses had been previously made in Sicily. The difference being Giacomo became a full Cosa Nostra member subservient to the Buffalo family and the Ndrangheta bosses who got made into Cosa Nostra stayed Ndrangheta bosses.

It's clear Violi is 100% Buffalo Cosa Nostra. I doubt with a grandfather father and uncles all Cosa Nostra members he was even eligible for Ndrangheta membership. Remember Joe Violi was deciding between Buffalo and Bonannos not Buffalo, Bonannos and Sidernesi. It seems like for whatever reasons joining the Ndrangheta was not a viable path for them.
I actually disagree with this. I know for a fact (as in I have the documents) that Giacomo Luppino was in the chamber of control of GTA Ndrangheta which means that he had to be a member - you cannot sit at that table without membership. You cannot exit the 'ndrangheta - you don't renounce it - there is no such a thing as 'knowing members customs and internal politics' - you probably don't know how the 'Ndrangheta and the Siderno group actually work. Indeed I am not saying that Violi was made into the 'ndrangheta. the 'ndrangheta does not 'make' people - you are either born into it (and the Violi are as well as Luppino was) or you are married into it. What kind of career you do inside it is a different story. So, to get back to your point - while Giacomo Luppino was definitely both in my view - and it was allowed to be both because of the particular status of Hamilton families (note that all three kind of were their own thing) the Violi, albeit formally made into Buffalo (and I don't dispute that) can probably be drawn into some sort of 'ndrangheta circle - not at the top for sure, and probably solely for business, but they are.
calabrianwatch
Straightened out

Post by calabrianwatch »

calabrianwatch wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:23 am
johnny_scootch wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:44 am

I actually disagree with this. I know for a fact (as in I have the documents) that Giacomo Luppino was in the chamber of control of GTA Ndrangheta which means that he had to be a member - you cannot sit at that table without membership. You cannot exit the 'ndrangheta - you don't renounce it - there is no such a thing as 'knowing members customs and internal politics' - you probably don't know how the 'Ndrangheta and the Siderno group actually work. Indeed I am not saying that Violi was made into the 'ndrangheta. the 'ndrangheta does not 'make' people - you are either born into it (and the Violi are as well as Luppino was) or you are married into it. What kind of career you do inside it is a different story. So, to get back to your point - while Giacomo Luppino was definitely both in my view - and it was allowed to be both because of the particular status of Hamilton families (note that all three kind of were their own thing) the Violi, albeit formally made into Buffalo (and I don't dispute that) can probably be drawn into some sort of 'ndrangheta circle - not at the top for sure, and probably solely for business, but they are.
and to add to this - Carmelo Bruzzese was a Ndrangheta man for Toronto, but he was also a Vito's man, you don't need to be made for that. Probably something along the same lines is happening with the Violi, whose business and dealings seem to be with the Commisso at this stage - which they can do, as said, due to family links independently on their LCN affiliation.