Gambino 1960's Chart (in progress)

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

JoelTurner
Full Patched

Re: Gambino 1960's Chart (in progress)

Post by JoelTurner »

Chris Christie wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:49 am Here's who I have for Jersey, 1963
Andrew john AVELLINO
(https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... elPageId=8)

Andrew John Avellino was a Trenton member of the Bruno Family
Raven
Straightened out

Post by Raven »

JoelTurner wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:56 pm
Chris Christie wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:49 am Here's who I have for Jersey, 1963
Vincent James Todaro
(https://www.google.ca/books/edition/Org ... frontcover)

Vincent James Todaro wasn't in New Jersey, he was in Herndon Virgnia. I've never heard of a wise guy in the Washington, DC area before.
He lived in Jersey before Virginia. Look at the 1950 census and his WW2 draft card.
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

Raven wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:29 pm
JoelTurner wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:56 pm
Vincent James Todaro
(https://www.google.ca/books/edition/Org ... frontcover)

Vincent James Todaro wasn't in New Jersey, he was in Herndon Virgnia. I've never heard of a wise guy in the Washington, DC area before.
He lived in Jersey before Virginia. Look at the 1950 census and his WW2 draft card.
That’s totally my bad! I guess I was too surprised that there was a mafia member in a suburb of DC.

I think that he was in Virginia by the 60s though. According to the book, he was sentenced to 10 years in prison for narcotics violations on May 20 1958 in Fairfax County, VA.

In 1955, he was listed as residing at 114-13 Ovid Pl, St. Albans (Queens, NY) However, another address was printed on top: 115 Mary St., Falls Church, Virginia. (https://search.ancestry.ca/cgi-bin/sse. ... urce=62308)
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

Here’s a member of the Paterno crew: Peter Sorce

(https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... lPageId=19)

NK T-11 identified Sorce as a member of Paterno’s crew

“Sorce is the oldest of Paterno’s button men, having been made a button man by Paterno’s father.” [P.16]

———————

PIETRO SORCE
(Peter)
DOB: 19 Dec 1889
POB: Mussomeli, Italy
F: Calogero Sorce
M: Caterina Etiopo
W: Fillippa Catarella

———————-

Joe Paterno’s father Antonio passed away in the mid-50s so he was made before that. Going by his age and the fact that he was in NJ since 1908, I’d guess he was made much earlier, probably in the 1920s or 30s.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Ah, looks like you solved the confusion over why Palermo member Pietro Sorce is included on Gambino lists. Different guy.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:43 pm Ah, looks like you solved the confusion over why Palermo member Pietro Sorce is included on Gambino lists. Different guy.
Santo Sorge was, of course, also from Mussomeli. Maybe it’s been brought up before, but these are almost certainly variations of the same surname (in vernacular, both would be pronounced “sor-gee” regardless of the spelling). Another spelling variation from Mussomeli is “Sorce”. I note that in several documents, Pietro Sorci was given as Sorge and Sorce. Don’t know if there was a direct relation, but it certainly seems a real possibility.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Didn't even make the connection.

Another family from Mussomeli in the Gambinos were the Giardinas, father and three sons.

If it's true Santo Sorge was a Gambino it follows a pattern.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

JoelTurner wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:04 pm
Andrew john AVELLINO
(https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... elPageId=8)

Andrew John Avellino was a Trenton member of the Bruno Family
Avellino was later identified and confirmed as a Gambino member. And Chris, skip the Carbones and Vinci and Zoppo if you want an accurate chart as much as possible.

Avellino.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There you have it, never printed before.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

What information do we have on Joe Zingaro? I have him as being born 5/28/1909 to John and Concetta but having problems re-finding the source for that.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Chris Christie wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:03 am What information do we have on Joe Zingaro? I have him as being born 5/28/1909 to John and Concetta but having problems re-finding the source for that.
WWII draft card has John as father, as does 1920 census. Concetta is listed as mother in 1920 census.

I have Zingaro's birth as 10/18/12:

JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

Chris Christie wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:49 am Anthony Scoma
Joseph John Zoppo
ANTHONY SCOMA
DOB: 29 Nov 1905
POB: Kingston, NY
F: Giuseppe Scoma
M: Carmela Cannariato
W: Filippa Noto

JOSEPH JOHN ZOPPO
DOB: 5 Nov 1908
POB: Newark, NJ
F: Salvatore Zoppo
M: Marie Cappetta
W: Geraldine Malanga

——————-

For both of them, I can’t tell what crew they’re in but they’re New Jersey members.

Coincidentally, they were both married to women with interesting family names. Filippa Noto was the sister of Genovese member Dr. Philip Noto; I can’t tell if Geraldine was related to the other Malangas in Newark but her family was from the same place: Caposele in Italy.
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

HairyKnuckles wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:20 am
JoelTurner wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:04 pm Andrew John Avellino was a Trenton member of the Bruno Family
Avellino was later identified and confirmed as a Gambino member.
I was wrong, Andrew Avellino was not a member of the Bruno family.

(https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=132382)

This document makes it abundantly clear that he wasn’t a Bruno Family member. There’s some interesting stuff about the Gambino family in Trenton too.

AA is Andrew Avellino - AB is Angelo Bruno

—————

AA: I know, I know, I can talk freely with you.

AB: See, with your family, we feel like it’s one family, because I know more people in your family than I know in any other family. And they’re all very close to me.

————-

AB: But I’ll tell you the truth. You see, Trenton, naturally, you fellows are there. Our fellows are there. And there is, you got, in Trenton, you got Philadelphia. You got your family. You got Joe Banana (Mangone). You got Mickey (Nicholas Russo) You got Sam Gallup (ph) (Sam Cavalcante). That’s four.

AA: But actually there is three families.

AB: That’s right. (Interrupted by a phone call here)

—————

Until now, I hadn’t realized that there were more Gambino members in Trenton other than Nicholas Russo and later Joey Farinella.

Throughout the document, Avellino references a superior named Pete. My guess is that this is Peter “Petey Pumps” Ferrara. There’s some indications that it could be a figure from Trenton.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Yep, the Trenton guys reported to Ferrara before Toddo Aurello. Some were recruited for the Santantonio murder and Ferrara was caught on tape assigning them the hit. The transcript is eerie because he brings it up so casually, just says he has a piece of work and I think it's Farinella who's like "Yeah, sure". They then went to meet with Paul Castellano about it who wasn't acting boss yet but I guess was already kind of "street boss" for Gambino.

The Trenton stuff is confusing because they were all partners in various things. Russo ran John Simone's gambling operations for him when he went to Florida. Angelo Bruno was also using Farinella to help with some of his Florida operations. One of the DeCavalcante guys there's father was made with Philly too but the son got knocked down from membership because he admitted to running a gambling operation so that his wife would get let off. Bruno put in a big beef about it.
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

B. wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:23 pm Yep, the Trenton guys reported to Ferrara before Toddo Aurello.
Were there any other known Gambino members in Trenton?
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

Chris Christie wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:49 am Suspected:
Frank CORSI
Joe INSABELLA
(https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... lPageId=24)

According to NK 92-1203, Corsi and Insabella were originally button men under Antonio Paterno but were put under Frank Perrone after a dispute during the Anastasia era.

I think that the dispute is when Frank Perrone broke off from the Paterno crew in the early ‘50s. Mike Mandaglia was named as a part of this group too.