First look at ‘Sopranos’ prequel…

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Re: First look at ‘Sopranos’ prequel…

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Finally got a chance to watch it. I got to say it was crap. Poorly written and poorly put together. Many of the character portrayals were bad and their back stories were totally different from what they were on the show. On top of that the woke BS was all over the place. Hard to believe the same people who made the Sopranos made this crap fest. Especially considering they had over a decade to come up with the idea.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
JohnnyS
Full Patched

Post by JohnnyS »

I get the feeling David Chase wasn't very happy with how it turned out.
AntComello
Full Patched

Post by AntComello »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:27 am Finally got a chance to watch it. I got to say it was crap. Poorly written and poorly put together. Many of the character portrayals were bad and their back stories were totally different from what they were on the show. On top of that the woke BS was all over the place. Hard to believe the same people who made the Sopranos made this crap fest. Especially considering they had over a decade to come up with the idea.

Pogo
Couldn’t agree more
That’s the guy, Adriana. My Uncle Tony. The guy I’m going to hell for.
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

I liked pieces of it. But it was edited terribly along with the writing being awful. Its hard to believe it was the same folks who did the series.

Really missed terry winter imo
I'll race you around the corner for fuckin $400 - the skinny
Joeyboy1982
Straightened out

Post by Joeyboy1982 »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:27 am Finally got a chance to watch it. I got to say it was crap. Poorly written and poorly put together. Many of the character portrayals were bad and their back stories were totally different from what they were on the show. On top of that the woke BS was all over the place. Hard to believe the same people who made the Sopranos made this crap fest. Especially considering they had over a decade to come up with the idea.

Pogo
Co-sign this review 100%
Mustangsally
Straightened out

Post by Mustangsally »

Pogo
Oh so you don't want to be preached to about the social ills facing urban yoots when you're watching a mob Flickr?

Shoehorning this woke shit and virtue signaling in movies is ruining it. Imagine trying to make goodfellas under the current political climate. "Two fine upstanding young basketball players just borrowed my truck!"
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

I still haven't checked it put and these reviews make me question if I even want to.
All roads lead to New York.
Coloboy
Straightened out

Post by Coloboy »

FWIW, I'm on the other side of this one. I think what pissed a lot of people off was that it was not just a straight nod to the fans of the series, it was a solid standalone movie on it's own. I was interested the whole time. As long as you go into it with that mindset, I think you will enjoy it.

It's a compelling story of how fucked up those who raised christopher and Tony were, and how those shortcomings bled into them to make them who they became....insecure, angry, vindictive shitheads basically.

It as a movie that could be enjoyed by people who have never seen the Sopranos, with enough nods to the series to keep fans happy.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

I enjoyed parts of it, but some of it was no better than indy-level mob movie stuff. I probably won't watch it again for quite some time.
Costigan
Straightened out

Post by Costigan »

I tried to watch it again recently and gave up pretty quickly. I realized it had no redeeming qualities whatsoever and wasn't worth wasting anymore time on. I agree with Cheech, it's hard to believe the same people who did the series had anything to do with the movie.
To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

It has 71% on Rotten Tomatoes (59% from the audience) but it looks like it lost millions, with a $50 million budget but only bringing in $13 million to date.
All roads lead to New York.
Amershire_Ed
Full Patched

Post by Amershire_Ed »

Costigan wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:18 pm I tried to watch it again recently and gave up pretty quickly. I realized it had no redeeming qualities whatsoever and wasn't worth wasting anymore time on. I agree with Cheech, it's hard to believe the same people who did the series had anything to do with the movie.
David Chase was always much more interested in the ancillary non mob story lines. Tony’s mother, the psychiatry, good and evil, heaven and hell, dream sequences etc. The mob stuff was just a vehicle to tell the story he wanted to tell. He said something like “every time I hear the complaint that there’s not enough mafia storylines, I write another 5 dream sequence episodes.”
Costigan
Straightened out

Post by Costigan »

Any way you look at it, it wasn’t a well told story. The characters were uninteresting and not developed, in my humble opinion.
To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize
dixiemafia
Full Patched

Post by dixiemafia »

Cheech wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:35 amReally missed terry winter imo
I still say Winter was the genius behind the show. To me the first season was the worst out of all of them and that's the season Winter wasn't in on.

I still hope they pitch a prequel series though if Winter is involved like him and Chase have briefly mentioned
If I didn't have my case coming up, I would like to come back with you gentlemen when this is over with and really lay the law down what is going on in this country.....
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Amershire_Ed wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:38 pm
Costigan wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:18 pm I tried to watch it again recently and gave up pretty quickly. I realized it had no redeeming qualities whatsoever and wasn't worth wasting anymore time on. I agree with Cheech, it's hard to believe the same people who did the series had anything to do with the movie.
David Chase was always much more interested in the ancillary non mob story lines. Tony’s mother, the psychiatry, good and evil, heaven and hell, dream sequences etc. The mob stuff was just a vehicle to tell the story he wanted to tell. He said something like “every time I hear the complaint that there’s not enough mafia storylines, I write another 5 dream sequence episodes.”
I loved most of the non-mob storylines, but f'n hated the dream sequences. I'm already watching a fictional show, I don't need to think about dream symbolism and weird shit in Tony's subconscious that never ends up mattering.

Still haven't seen Many Saints. I take Pogo's Sopranos opinions as gospel so I'm going to keep holding hold out.

I'd watch a new Sopranos series where what's left of the Family is like a John Stanfa hodgepog of misfits. A bunch of the old guard is dead or in prison, Furio comes back from Italy to try and take over, Artie gets made and tries to throw his weight around, etc. They were always good with comedy.