First look at ‘Sopranos’ prequel…

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Re: First look at ‘Sopranos’ prequel…

Post by Angelo Santino »

Wiseguy wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:28 am
Chris Christie wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:44 am
Wiseguy wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:53 am I still can't believe you subject yourself to Godfather of Harlem.

Anyway, while I admittedly still haven't seen The Many Saints of Newark yet, I doubt Chase does anything else in the Sopranos universe. I think this was it.
:D . I guess I enjoy the series and have long ago learned to turn my mafia-cap off when watching works of fiction. I'm not going to be that guy yelling at the screen during HBO's Gotti that Joe Armone wasn't yet Consigliere while Paul was alive, at least not anymore, lol. So with Godfather's of Harlem, I guess the actors are good and bring some flair of creativity to it- Vincent "Private Pyle from Full Metal Jacket" D'onnofrio as Chin, Chazz as Joe Bonanno and Forrest Whittaker as Bumpy are a solid cast.

Honestly, I can tolerate fictional films more so than I can fictional history. Two of my favorite mob films are Smokin Aces and Running Scared for some unbeknownst reason. Likely throw in Men of Respect in there as well but that's less action, more modern MacBeth in the underworld noir.
I loved Running Scared.
Police storm the apartment, we hear voices among those the beautiful voice of Chazz: "Nobody move!-- Down, you cocksuckers-- get down! get down!"
Johnny Messner: "You're makin' the biggest fuckin mistake--"
Chazz kicks him in the balls. "Shuddup! Down motherfuckers down!"
Johnny Messner groaning: 'muh' Fucker."
Chazz: "Alright, everybody! Take out whatever your packing and slide it under the bed! C'mon move it.
Johnny: "You better spend it real fast, shitbags, because you ain't long for this fuckin' world."
Chazz: "Yeah right. I'll be sure to have a Mai Tai on you." *Kicks Johnny in the crotch. "On all of you gumba fucks. Hey Ja-Mon, I'll have one on you too."

Chazz: "He describes to me the gun in vivid-fuckin detail, polished up thick like a s%$c's hubcap."
Johnny: "Joey, what the fuck is guy talking about?"
Paul Walker as Joey: "It's a big shiny gun. Big fuckin' deal, there's a thousand of them on the street."
Chazz: "You know what, enough bullshit, I expect to find a bag..." * hands them a key, "in this locker, by midnight. If the bag is not there, one minute after, I'm taking you all down, any fucking way I can. Even if I have to manufacture the case. And I know I can do it, Cuz I got the fuckin' toughest mob in the world: I'm the lawww."

"Say Hello to my little fwieeeend."
Paul Walker as Joey Gazzelle: "Oh that's real original, what are you, a fucking cartoon character!?"
"I'm a mack daddy pimp, everyone knows that!"

--

Oh and my brain is remembering something.. awhile back I spoke to someone semi-connected to things in the film industry and the mafia in Running Scared was based on the Colombos with Teddy Persico being the inspiration for Tommy Perello. You hear another reference to their leader (capo or boss?) played by Arthur Nascarella "that he's partnered with the Russians on that gasoline thing," which is something Colombo member Franzese was involved in.

So Teddy Persico may have already have had a film based on him. Tommy Tombs Perello does at the end so its obviously fictionalized. Just thought I'd share it. But I really don't have a source I can provide, so don't count this as 100% verified.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Chris Christie wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:56 pm
Wiseguy wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:28 am
Wiseguy wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:53 am I still can't believe you subject yourself to Godfather of Harlem.

Anyway, while I admittedly still haven't seen The Many Saints of Newark yet, I doubt Chase does anything else in the Sopranos universe. I think this was it.
:D . I guess I enjoy the series and have long ago learned to turn my mafia-cap off when watching works of fiction. I'm not going to be that guy yelling at the screen during HBO's Gotti that Joe Armone wasn't yet Consigliere while Paul was alive, at least not anymore, lol. So with Godfather's of Harlem, I guess the actors are good and bring some flair of creativity to it- Vincent "Private Pyle from Full Metal Jacket" D'onnofrio as Chin, Chazz as Joe Bonanno and Forrest Whittaker as Bumpy are a solid cast.

Honestly, I can tolerate fictional films more so than I can fictional history. Two of my favorite mob films are Smokin Aces and Running Scared for some unbeknownst reason. Likely throw in Men of Respect in there as well but that's less action, more modern MacBeth in the underworld noir.
I loved Running Scared.
Baciamu le mani. I kiss you! Nice to find someone who agrees that Running Scared is a great fucking film!

Police storm the apartment, we hear voices among those the beautiful voice of Chazz: "Nobody move!-- Down, you cocksuckers-- get down! get down!"
Chazz: "Alright, everybody! Take out whatever your packing and slide it under the bed! C'mon move it.
Johnny: "You better spend it real fast, shitbags, because you ain't long for this fuckin' world."
Chazz: "Yeah right. I'll be sure to have a Mai Tai on you." *Kicks Johnny in the crotch. "On all of you gumba fucks. Hey Ja-Mon, I'll have one on you too."

Chazz: "He describes to me the gun in vivid-fuckin detail, polished up thick like a s%$c's hubcap."
Paul Walker as Joey: "It's a big shiny gun. Big fuckin' deal, there's a thousand of them on the street."
Chazz: "You know what, enough bullshit, I expect to find a bag..." * hands them a key, "in this locker, by midnight. If the bag is not there, one minute after, I'm taking you all down, any fucking way I can. Even if I have to manufacture the case. And I know I can do it, Cuz I got the fuckin' toughest mob in the world: I'm the lawww."

Paul Walker as Joey Gazzelle: "Oh that's real original, what are you, a fucking cartoon character!?"

--

Oh and my brain is remembering something.. awhile back I spoke to someone semi-connected to things in the film industry and the mafia in Running Scared was based on the Colombos with Teddy Persico being the inspiration for Tommy Perello. You hear another reference to their leader (capo or boss?) played by Arthur Nascarella "that he's partnered with the Russians on that gasoline thing," which is something Colombo member Franzese was involved in.

So Teddy Persico may have already have had a film based on him. Tommy Tombs Perello does at the end so its obviously fictionalized. Just thought I'd share it. But I really don't have a source I can provide, so don't count this as 100% verified.
[/quote]
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Chris Christie wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:20 pmBaciamu le mani. I kiss you! Nice to find someone who agrees that Running Scared is a great fucking film!

--

"You spill Porello blood, you're deep six invested."

It's the kind movie that's just fun and you don't need to take seriously. But it's gritty. Papa and Mama Bear, the hockey puck scene, Italians and Russians, etc.
All roads lead to New York.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

I'd watch Wiseguy and CC review mob films together over Franzese any day.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Nick Prango wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:33 am Chicago Overcoat is a B movie with Frank Vincent, Armand Assante and Katherine Narducci but it's solid.
It’s nice that Frank Vincent had a second opportunity to give a lazily unconvincing portrayal of a Chicago guy with a New York accent before he passed (“these guys from the Cicero crew got some friggin’ BAWLDS”). At least most of the other actors sounded the part (“Ya don’t pay yer street tax, ya get fucked up. Ya unnerstand me, guy??”). It’s an entertaining B movie with some nice street shots of Chinatown/Bridgeport. There’s so few Chicago mob movies as it is, so I’ll take it.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Nick Prango
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Nick Prango »

PolackTony wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:22 pm
Nick Prango wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:33 am Chicago Overcoat is a B movie with Frank Vincent, Armand Assante and Katherine Narducci but it's solid.
It’s nice that Frank Vincent had a second opportunity to give a lazily unconvincing portrayal of a Chicago guy with a New York accent before he passed (“these guys from the Cicero crew got some friggin’ BAWLDS”). At least most of the other actors sounded the part (“Ya don’t pay yer street tax, ya get fucked up. Ya unnerstand me, guy??”). It’s an entertaining B movie with some nice street shots of Chinatown/Bridgeport. There’s so few Chicago mob movies as it is, so I’ll take it.
The tommy gun was a bit much. It is just silly...a well known wiseguy with a record keeps a Thompson submachine gun in plain view on a wall in his apartment. Federal rap? No Problem. And he keeps it there for nostalgia for the old days...is he 95? The Thompson is 20's and 30's Al Capone days, not the 60's and 70's Vincent's character would have come up in. :lol:
Nick Prango
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Nick Prango »

Chris Christie wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:54 pm
Nick Prango wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:33 am

Running scared is a good one. Also Find me guilty 2006, Knockaround Guys, kill the irishman, The Pope of Greenwich Village, Things to do in Denver when you’re dead, 10th & Wolf a 2006 film about the Philadelphia crime family, Brooklyn Rules 2007 , Miller’s Crossing, Suicide Kings 1997, Killing Them Softly, Chicago Overcoat, Staten Island 2009, Un Profete are good mob movies worth watching that aren't popular. Find Me Guilty is a really good one. Has Alex Rocco as Tumac Accetturo. Killing Them Softly is criminally underrated. The two or three scenes James Gandolfini has are great, he out acts Brad Pitt and that’s pretty tough to do. Un Profete is a good French film about a Muslim who ends up working for the Corsican mafia in prison. Chicago Overcoat is a B movie with Frank Vincent, Armand Assante and Katherine Narducci but it's solid.
How about The Palermo connection with Jim Belushi, in a non-comedic role of an Italian-American mayoral candidate traveling to Sicily to learn about the Mafia.
I haven't watch that movie, but i will definitely watch it now.
Grouchy Sinatra
Full Patched

Post by Grouchy Sinatra »

David Chase the filmmaker is definitely different from David Chase the showrunner. This was more "Not Fade Away" than "The Sopranos". The kinds of stories he did with The Sopranos take several hours (episodes) to develop. Hopefully this turns out to be a pilot movie for a tv show starring Michael Gandolfini as teenage Tony. Many Saints was basically Dickie's story, before Tony gets into any real illegal activity. It seems Many Saints ends just as Tony decides he's going into the life. Hopefully we'd see more of Bernthal as Johnny, too. Lots of possibilities and with the fanfare this show has they are definitely going to make at least another movie on this. Too much money on the table not to.
Glick told author Nicholas Pileggi that he expected to meet a banker-type individual, but instead, he found Alvin Baron to be a gruff, tough-talking cigar-chomping Teamster who greeted him with, “What the fuck do you want?”
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

It is being reported that HBO Go is interested in developing a prequel series.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

Grouchy Sinatra wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:06 pm David Chase the filmmaker is definitely different from David Chase the showrunner. This was more "Not Fade Away" than "The Sopranos". The kinds of stories he did with The Sopranos take several hours (episodes) to develop. Hopefully this turns out to be a pilot movie for a tv show starring Michael Gandolfini as teenage Tony. Many Saints was basically Dickie's story, before Tony gets into any real illegal activity. It seems Many Saints ends just as Tony decides he's going into the life. Hopefully we'd see more of Bernthal as Johnny, too. Lots of possibilities and with the fanfare this show has they are definitely going to make at least another movie on this. Too much money on the table not to.
I want to Uncle Ercoles story you know the retarded prize fighter according to Junioreq
Chopper
Straightened out

Post by Chopper »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:28 pm It is being reported that HBO Go is interested in developing a prequel series.

Pogo
Looks like it, yeah
https://deadline.com/2021/10/the-sopran ... /#comments
"Do you think Ralph is a little weird about women?"

"I don't know Ton'… I mean, he beat one to death"
Chaps
Straightened out

Post by Chaps »

I watched it a second time last night. Not horrible but also not the greatest movie ever. Also, Old Man DeMeo does make a cameo at Buddhas funeral. Played by David Chase himself.
Grouchy Sinatra
Full Patched

Post by Grouchy Sinatra »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:28 pm It is being reported that HBO Go is interested in developing a prequel series.

Pogo
Scott Burnstein on his podcast said that it was almost a certainty this would be a series, and said this comes from people in the know. But then he walked it back in his most recent podcast. Who knows? The film industry will always throw money at franchises if there's a fan following, and the Sopranos following on social media is insane. There will definitely be something more.
Glick told author Nicholas Pileggi that he expected to meet a banker-type individual, but instead, he found Alvin Baron to be a gruff, tough-talking cigar-chomping Teamster who greeted him with, “What the fuck do you want?”
aleksandrored
Full Patched

Post by aleksandrored »

MikeyChang93
Associate

Post by MikeyChang93 »

A lot of people didn’t like it, but I feel Chase was trying to show how Tony became Tony and did a good job by having Dickie kill people close to him, and showing how the characters we know from the show became the way we knew them to be.