General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Villain
Filthy Few

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by Villain »

cavita wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:41 pm
Villain wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:34 am Image
I imagine this Zaccagnini was Vito Zaccagnini who started informing in the mid 60s?
Yup same guy
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Any specifics or thoughts on why Angie LaPietra was promoted to Capo of Chinatown, given that he previously had been active in Cicero and the Westside with Torello? Was it mostly that the LaPietras were actually from Chinatown, or were they also involved actively in the push under Buccieri to take over the Southside?
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

PolackTony wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:39 pm
Any specifics or thoughts on why Angie LaPietra was promoted to Capo of Chinatown, given that he previously had been active in Cicero and the Westside with Torello? Was it mostly that the LaPietras were actually from Chinatown, or were they also involved actively in the push under Buccieri to take over the Southside?
Also assuming this doc is referring to Johnny Fecarrotta of course.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

By the early 60s the South Side faction (Ferraro/Alex/Caruso) lost almost all of their prime enforcers and collectors. For example, Ferraro and Alex lost their two main collectors such as Louie Tornabene and Louie Briatta out of various reasons, while Carusos guy Tony Maenza got badly beaten up by the cops and on top of that, one of Carusos African-American enforcers also got killed by the cops.

Members like Marcy, Roti, Cain, Cordovano, Carusos brothers, old man Barbara (the father), Eddie Joyce etc, all were mainly corruptors and money makers, meaning they were far from being animals and serial killers.

Thats why, during that same time period, Alex called Buccieri (the guy with dozens of killers) for help and they had a meeting in New Mexico on which a deal was done for the Gearis father and son and some other guys, to become Alexs new enforcers for the First Ward and around the Loop. Buccieri borrowed these guys to Alex for a certain cut, they didnt switch crews.

Same situation occurred with Caruso when he asked for help from two of his old time associates from the Chinatown area. The first one was Chicago Heights member Jimmy Catuara who during those days was still a soldier under LaPorte, Ralph Emery (Jims bro) and Guzzino, while Caruso was already a capo and had the right to ask for help and to give orders to other lower level members. With LaPortes approval, Catuara brought Pete Gushi and they started collecting for Caruso for a certain cut from which LaPorte also received a piece.

The second guy was Angie LaPietra since same as Catuara, the LaPietras were also long time residents of Chinatown and under Buccieris jurisdiction, they also became muscle for hire within Carusos area.

So those were the days when one crew from the West Side faction aka the Buccieri crew started spreading around the South Side. Few years later the beef between the Alderisio and Buccieri crews also occurred because of interests around the South, followed by Buccieris attempt to spread his influence around the Chicago Heights also.

It was all mob politics, and by the mid or late 1970s the old South Side faction was completely gone since Alex relinquished almost all of his street ops except the ones for Lenny Patrick and Larner, and remained boss of the First Ward together with Marcy and Roti.

At the same time Caruso took a step back out of health issues and I dont think there was anyone more powerful in his own crew who couldve stood up against Buccieris guys like Torrelo and LaPietra. When Torello died, LaPietra became the new boss of the Cicero/Chinatown/South faction. Sources say that Ferriola did something wrong which became a huge obstacle for taking Torrelos place and thats why LaPietra received it all. As you can see from the file, some of the old Buccieri members didnt like each other much.

In plane words, after the "demise" of the old South Side faction, the Buccieri/Torrelo/LaPietra/Ferriola crew became the new South group and by the mid 90s they allegedly also received the Chi Heights area.
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:28 am
By the early 60s the South Side faction (Ferraro/Alex/Caruso) lost almost all of their prime enforcers and collectors. For example, Ferraro and Alex lost their two main collectors such as Louie Tornabene and Louie Briatta out of various reasons, while Carusos guy Tony Maenza got badly beaten up by the cops and on top of that, one of Carusos African-American enforcers also got killed by the cops.

Members like Marcy, Roti, Cain, Cordovano, Carusos brothers, old man Barbara (the father), Eddie Joyce etc, all were mainly corruptors and money makers, meaning they were far from being animals and serial killers.

Thats why, during that same time period, Alex called Buccieri (the guy with dozens of killers) for help and they had a meeting in New Mexico on which a deal was done for the Gearis father and son and some other guys, to become Alexs new enforcers for the First Ward and around the Loop. Buccieri borrowed these guys to Alex for a certain cut, they didnt switch crews.

Same situation occurred with Caruso when he asked for help from two of his old time associates from the Chinatown area. The first one was Chicago Heights member Jimmy Catuara who during those days was still a soldier under LaPorte, Ralph Emery (Jims bro) and Guzzino, while Caruso was already a capo and had the right to ask for help and to give orders to other lower level members. With LaPortes approval, Catuara brought Pete Gushi and they started collecting for Caruso for a certain cut from which LaPorte also received a piece.

The second guy was Angie LaPietra since same as Catuara, the LaPietras were also long time residents of Chinatown and under Buccieris jurisdiction, they also became muscle for hire within Carusos area.

So those were the days when one crew from the West Side faction aka the Buccieri crew started spreading around the South Side. Few years later the beef between the Alderisio and Buccieri crews also occurred because of interests around the South, followed by Buccieris attempt to spread his influence around the Chicago Heights also.

It was all mob politics, and by the mid or late 1970s the old South Side faction was completely gone since Alex relinquished almost all of his street ops except the ones for Lenny Patrick and Larner, and remained boss of the First Ward together with Marcy and Roti.

At the same time Caruso took a step back out of health issues and I dont think there was anyone more powerful in his own crew who couldve stood up against Buccieris guys like Torrelo and LaPietra. When Torello died, LaPietra became the new boss of the Cicero/Chinatown/South faction. Sources say that Ferriola did something wrong which became a huge obstacle for taking Torrelos place and thats why LaPietra received it all. As you can see from the file, some of the old Buccieri members didnt like each other much.

In plane words, after the "demise" of the old South Side faction, the Buccieri/Torrelo/LaPietra/Ferriola crew became the new South group.
Thanks buddy, great explanation.

Perhaps it's already been discussed somewhere on the forums. If I recall from Matt Luzi, in the 60s Catuara was working with Buccieri to attempt to wrest control of the far South territory from LaPorte. I'm assuming also that the later tensions between Catuara and the Heights leadership continued to have the backing of the Torello/LaPietra faction? Did Catuara formally defect to the Buccieri crew around 1965/66, or did Accardo and Battaglia force a sitdown with him and LaPorte and Catuara had to continue at least nominally under the Heights? I wonder about his formal place within the crew structure during these years because the guy survived a long time basically in an on-and-off war with his own crew. Who was he kicking up to and taking orders from?
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:04 am

Perhaps it's already been discussed somewhere on the forums. If I recall from Matt Luzi, in the 60s Catuara was working with Buccieri to attempt to wrest control of the far South territory from LaPorte. I'm assuming also that the later tensions between Catuara and the Heights leadership continued to have the backing of the Torello/LaPietra faction? Did Catuara formally defect to the Buccieri crew around 1965/66, or did Accardo and Battaglia force a sitdown with him and LaPorte and Catuara had to continue at least nominally under the Heights? I wonder about his formal place within the crew structure during these years because the guy survived a long time basically in an on-and-off war with his own crew. Who was he kicking up to and taking orders from?
Everything you said is spot on but if we want to understand the situation, we need to go back.

You probably already know that Catuara started in Chinatown under Jimmy Belcastro who by the mid 30s possibly switched his loyalty to the West Side bloc by receiving interests around Taylor St and the Near West Side.

During Belcastros "golden years", Catuara spent his time in jail together with one of his old associates William Palermo. If you ask me, Palermo was probably the one who previously introduced Catuara to the Chicago Heights mob.

When Catuara got out of jail, his boss Belcastro died of heart attack and so i personally think that Belcastros crew didnt welcome Catuara with open arms and that is why, we have one pure Mafia photo from the late 1940s (i think) on which we can see Catuara standing beside the seated John Roberto (Doms brother) who was a capo under Emery at the time. For me personally that same photo says it all, besides the other numerous pics and infos regarding Catuaras membership in the Heights crew.

As I already said, when the old South Side mob asked for help, a lot of complications occurred. First it was between Alderisio vs Ferriola/Buccieri and then, the problem transferred to the Chicago Heights.

I personally believe that Catuara was the guy who probably played on both sides, meaning the Buccieri and LaPorte crew and thats why few boddies popped up.

To tell you the truth i dont know on how the problem got solved, although we can bet that it was Ricca and Accardo and possibly Alex who settled the whole thing (i dont think they asked Battaglia), but im 100% sure that was the main point when Catuara lost his credibility within his own Chicago Heights faction.

When Guzzino died and Ralph E took a step back, Catuara was considered as being a capo under LaPorte but still, before the old man died, he chose Pilotto as his successor instead of Catuara, which confirms my theory regarding Catuara losing credibility within the crew. That is why later he went into the narcotics racket and didnt step down when the top admin told him to. And in the end he got whacked...
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Villain wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:40 am

Everything you said is spot on but if we want to understand the situation, we need to go back.

You probably already know that Catuara started in Chinatown under Jimmy Belcastro who by the mid 30s possibly switched his loyalty to the West Side bloc by receiving interests around Taylor St and the Near West Side.

During Belcastros "golden years", Catuara spent his time in jail together with one of his old associates William Palermo. If you ask me, Palermo was probably the one who previously introduced Catuara to the Chicago Heights mob.

When Catuara got out of jail, his boss Belcastro died of heart attack and so i personally think that Belcastros crew didnt welcome Catuara with open arms and that is why, we have one pure Mafia photo from the late 1940s (i think) on which we can see Catuara standing beside the seated John Roberto (Doms brother) who was a capo under Emery at the time. For me personally that same photo says it all, besides the other numerous pics and infos regarding Catuaras membership in the Heights crew.

As I already said, when the old South Side mob asked for help, a lot of complications occurred. First it was between Alderisio vs Ferriola/Buccieri and then, the problem transferred to the Chicago Heights.

I personally believe that Catuara was the guy who probably played on both sides, meaning the Buccieri and LaPorte crew and thats why few boddies popped up.

To tell you the truth i dont know on how the problem got solved, although we can bet that it was Ricca and Accardo and possibly Alex who settled the whole thing (i dont think they asked Battaglia), but im 100% sure that was the main point when Catuara lost his credibility within his own Chicago Heights faction.

When Guzzino died and Ralph E took a step back, Catuara was considered as being a capo under LaPorte but still, before the old man died, he chose Pilotto as his successor instead of Catuara, which confirms my theory regarding Catuara losing credibility within the crew. That is why later he went into the narcotics racket and didnt step down when the top admin told him to. And in the end he got whacked...
Nice summary which appears to be spot on!
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Yeah, it was my understanding that Catuara was told to step down and didn't, which resulted in his murder.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

cavita wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:50 am
Villain wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:40 am

Nice summary which appears to be spot on!
Thanks Villain, again this is great. By the time Catuara got out of prison Bruno Roti was over the old BelCastro crew, correct? Did Catuara have any specific beef with Roti?

Your explanation makes a lot of sense -- that Catuara was attempting to play both sides for his won advantage, rather han being a Buccieri partisan. Just to be clear then, we don't have any evidence that Catuara was ever formally transferred to the Buccieri faction even later in under Torello/LaPietra?

Luzi ascribes Catuara's hit to the Heights guys finally settling up with him following the Chop Shop stuff. Your point about him finally falling out of the graces of the admin is important though. It's interesting that Catuara wound up getting whacked on Hubbard in the middle of Grand Ave territory. Of course that might not mean anything, but it does make me wonder if perhaps the hit did come from the top admin they possibly contracted it out to Grand Ave. Do we have an idea of who whacked him?
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Snakes wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:10 am Yeah, it was my understanding that Catuara was told to step down and didn't, which resulted in his murder.
Thanks for further confirming that.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

PolackTony wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:26 am
Snakes wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:10 am Yeah, it was my understanding that Catuara was told to step down and didn't, which resulted in his murder.
I believe Grand Avenue hit Catuara as Lombardo was mentioned by informants as saying Catuara was on the "hit parade" and telling people to stay away from him.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:25 am Thanks Villain, again this is great. By the time Catuara got out of prison Bruno Roti was over the old BelCastro crew, correct? Did Catuara have any specific beef with Roti?

Your explanation makes a lot of sense -- that Catuara was attempting to play both sides for his won advantage, rather han being a Buccieri partisan. Just to be clear then, we don't have any evidence that Catuara was ever formally transferred to the Buccieri faction even later in under Torello/LaPietra?
The whole West Side - Chinatown connection goes all the way back to the 1930s with Belcastro, Mangano and Belcastros brother-in-law Rocky Fanelli.

Belcastro was Chinatown while Fanelli was Taylor St. So at first, Belcastro was with Roti and D'Andrea but when the conflict with the Genaro clan occurred, Belcastro survived an assissination attempt which transferred him on Taylor St and started living with Fanelli and created even closer relatinship with Mangano and some Cicero guys. So by the early 1940s Belcastro was a powerhouse on the West Side and northern Cicero and also kept his old interests around Chinatown. Belcastro sponsored Blasi who later ended up under Daddono.

The Buccieri, Caifano and Daddono crews were products from the old Mangano/Belcastro/Campagna west side groups and Belcastros loyalty towards the west side can be also confirmed with Buccieris one time "disconnection" from the Chinatown area or right after Belcastros death. Besides that, members from the South Side and Chi Heights factions like Ferraro, Alex, Caruso and Catuara were still connected to these guys.

My opinion is that Alex (he also grew up in Chinatown) knew this same history also and thats why he also knew on who to call and simply brough back the old Belcastro/Buccieri group into play around the Loop and Chinatown. Catuara was also aware about this and tried to exploit the whole situation too but wasnt smarter then Alex. Catuara was caught in the middle between his old and "new" crew which in fact was his mistake

And yeah, Snakes is right since Lombardos name was also mentioned regarding the Catuara job.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Snakes wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:31 am
PolackTony wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:26 am
I believe Grand Avenue hit Catuara as Lombardo was mentioned by informants as saying Catuara was on the "hit parade" and telling people to stay away from him.
Great, thanks for this.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:55 am
PolackTony wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:25 am Thanks Villain, again this is great. By the time Catuara got out of prison Bruno Roti was over the old BelCastro crew, correct? Did Catuara have any specific beef with Roti?

The whole West Side - Chinatown connection goes all the way back to the 1930s with Belcastro, Mangano and Belcastros brother-in-law Rocky Fanelli.

Belcastro was Chinatown while Fanelli was Taylor St. So at first, Belcastro was with Roti and D'Andrea but when the conflict with the Genaro clan occurred, Belcastro survived an assissination attempt which transferred him on Taylor St and started living with Fanelli and created even closer relatinship with Mangano and some Cicero guys. So by the early 1940s Belcastro was a powerhouse on the West Side and northern Cicero and also kept his old interests around Chinatown. Belcastro sponsored Blasi who later ended up under Daddono.

The Buccieri, Caifano and Daddono crews were products from the old Mangano/Belcastro/Campagna west side groups and Belcastros loyalty towards the west side can be also confirmed with Buccieris one time "disconnection" from the Chinatown area or right after Belcastros death. Besides that, members from the South Side and Chi Heights factions like Ferraro, Alex, Caruso and Catuara were still connected to these guys.

My opinion is that Alex (he also grew up in Chinatown) knew this same history also and thats why he also knew on who to call and simply brough back the old Belcastro/Buccieri group into play around the Loop and Chinatown. Catuara was also aware about this and tried to exploit the whole situation too but wasnt smarter then Alex. Catuara was caught in the middle between his old and "new" crew which in fact was his mistake

And yeah, Snakes is right since Lombardos name was also mentioned regarding the Catuara job.
Thanks buddy. One further detail I'd like to clarify. When Belcastro was still under the Southside, did Roti answer to Belcastro, or were they both equals answering to D'Andrea?
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:20 pm
Villain wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:55 am

Thanks buddy. One further detail I'd like to clarify. When Belcastro was still under the Southside, did Roti answer to Belcastro, or were they both equals answering to D'Andrea?
I think they were equals and later both of them became capos but under different factions