Bonanno 1960s chart

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

thekiduknow
Full Patched

Re: Bonanno 1960s chart

Post by thekiduknow »

JoelTurner wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:28 pm
Is it known when Ippolito joined the Bonanno family?
Unfortunately no, but it's no surprise how he got affiliated with them being from Gibellina. Could be he was a member before he moved to Brooklyn, but that's just a guess, other than some activity in the mid 70s there's not much connecting him to the Bonannos.

One of his naturalization witnesses was Frank Pedone from Vita. In 1908 there was a Frank and Joseph Pedone arrested as part of a Black Hand ring in Newark. Both Frank Pedones were carpenters, but I haven't found concrete proof they are one and the same although it seems like it.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Salvatore Grippi also at 265 N 15th Street.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

Antiliar wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:41 pm Cola Schiro lived at 265 N 15th Street.
Antiliar wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:03 am Salvatore Grippi also at 265 N 15th Street.
I see Grippi at that address in the 1940 (https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui-co ... 61544:2442)and 1950
(https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui-co ... 9688:62308) censuses but I don't see Schiro.

I tried searching for him using broad parameters (https://www.ancestry.com/search/?name=N ... ame_x=_psx) and the closest match was a guy living in Lodi, NJ.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

thekiduknow wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:14 pm One of his naturalization witnesses was Frank Pedone from Vita. In 1908 there was a Frank and Joseph Pedone arrested as part of a Black Hand ring in Newark. Both Frank Pedones were carpenters, but I haven't found concrete proof they are one and the same although it seems like it.
That's really interesting. I haven't heard of Frank before, but there were other Pedones in Newark. Interesting that they were from Vita.

There was a Frank Pedone, who worked as a carpenter, living at 426 S 14th St, Newark, NJ.

If it's the right guy, he would have been living a 1-3 minute walk away from a lot of notable Newark criminals.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

Yup, that's the same guy.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

JoelTurner wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:31 am
Antiliar wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:41 pm Cola Schiro lived at 265 N 15th Street.
Antiliar wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:03 am Salvatore Grippi also at 265 N 15th Street.
I see Grippi at that address in the 1940 (https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui-co ... 61544:2442)and 1950
(https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui-co ... 9688:62308) censuses but I don't see Schiro.

I tried searching for him using broad parameters (https://www.ancestry.com/search/?name=N ... ame_x=_psx) and the closest match was a guy living in Lodi, NJ.
Schiro is in a naturalization record
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

I'm adding Jerry Rose as a suspected member in the deceased section. He died in June 1963.

He shows up in the John Bonventre files, where an informant reported that he believed Rose was a member of the Bonanno "combination", along with Vincent D'Anna. Rose and D'Anna were partners in a garment firm in Manhattan during the 1940s. Rose was also partnered with an Anthony Russo in a firm based out of the same building as Bonanno's B & D Coat Company, and by the time the FBI interviewed him in the late 50s, he was residing at Bonanno's former address at 61 Clermont in Hempsted, Long Island.

John Bivona, who was close to Bonventre, told the FBI that he knew Rose, and believed him to be involved in gambling when Rose was younger.

He was born 2/17/1895, to I believe Francesco and Philomenia/Filomenia Rose/Rossi. His father died when he was young, and his mother remarried a Frank Bilotti. I'm pretty sure I found his brother Tony's naturilazation record, where he gives a birthplace of "Pitinia", but I'm not sure what that's supposed to be.
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

^^^^
There are a number of possibilities re: “Pitinia.”

Pettineo in Messina (Sicily) is transliterated as Pitinia in Sicilian — at least according to the locals.

There’s a Petina in Salerno (Campania).

“Pitinia” might be a reference to the older Roman name of an area in Abruzzo.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

antimafia wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:36 pm ^^^^
There are a number of possibilities re: “Pitinia.”

Pettineo in Messina (Sicily) is transliterated as Pitinia in Sicilian — at least according to the locals.

There’s a Petina in Salerno (Campania).

“Pitinia” might be a reference to the older Roman name of an area in Abruzzo.
Thanks for the leads antimafia, I appreciate it.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Anyone seen Vincenzo "James" Sabella's membership/Family confirmed anywhere? He's the one from the FBN book. He was a business partner of Bonanno member Leo Carlino and his parents came from Sciacca like Mike Sabella. Originally lived on Elizabeth Street like most Sciacchitani.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

B. wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:27 pm Anyone seen Vincenzo "James" Sabella's membership/Family confirmed anywhere? He's the one from the FBN book. He was a business partner of Bonanno member Leo Carlino and his parents came from Sciacca like Mike Sabella. Originally lived on Elizabeth Street like most Sciacchitani.
I remember coming across him when looking into Carlino, but didn't realize he was in the FBN book, good catch.

They called him a "top underworld figure", who's known, and feared, by all "echelons of the Mafia", so he must have made some impression. I don't recall seeing anything about him in FBI files, so I'd be curious to find out more about him as well.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

thekiduknow wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:01 pm
B. wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:27 pm Anyone seen Vincenzo "James" Sabella's membership/Family confirmed anywhere? He's the one from the FBN book. He was a business partner of Bonanno member Leo Carlino and his parents came from Sciacca like Mike Sabella. Originally lived on Elizabeth Street like most Sciacchitani.
I remember coming across him when looking into Carlino, but didn't realize he was in the FBN book, good catch.

They called him a "top underworld figure", who's known, and feared, by all "echelons of the Mafia", so he must have made some impression. I don't recall seeing anything about him in FBI files, so I'd be curious to find out more about him as well.
The Senate chart has him as a Colombo but they also list Carlino as a Colombo captain. Michelangelo Vitale is another on that chart that was almost certainly a Bonanno if he was with a US Family.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

For some reason, I have Sabella as a Buffalo member who lived in NY City. But no confirmation. If that´s the case, he could have been a transfer Bonanno (Schiro) to Buffalo.
There you have it, never printed before.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

HairyKnuckles wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:16 am
For some reason, I have Sabella as a Buffalo member who lived in NY City. But no confirmation. If that´s the case, he could have been a transfer Bonanno (Schiro) to Buffalo.
That one is Joe Sabella, the Falcone brothers' cousin. Could be a relation though as he's Sciacchitano too.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

Some updates:

Thanks to motorfab for finding that suspected Montreal member Nicola Di Iorio was from Campobasso, Molise in Campobasso.

Also, I'm moving Salvatore Giglio from the Galante crew to the Morales crew according to this informant, who I'm almost certain was Freddy Santantonio:

We know that Giglio was close to Galante, and was possibly acting captain over Montreal in the 1950s, but it looks like he was moved to Morales' crew.