General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by B. »

Snakes wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:33 pm
B. wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:11 pm The other thing is if Chicago did skip the traditional ceremony during certain periods, when and why? The narrative around this used to be that Capone and/or his successors looked down on the mafia and its customs, but now we have the early 1970s informant (Gianola?) saying his older Sicilian relatives were made informally upon coming to Chicago. So I don't think we can say it was just a Sicilian vs. American thing, but something that may have been happening much earlier on even within the Sicilian faction.
I can see them doing an informal one at times, and a formal one at others. Pretty much like most of the other families at various times in their history. I mean, if a family like the Bonannos can just pull over to the side of the road and tell a guy he's made and it counts, then I'm not sure anyone can make a big deal about how little tradition Chicago used when they made guys. After I read about that (and other examples of "non-traditional" making ceremonies), I attached less uniqueness to Chicago as an LCN family -- at least as far as initiation went.
Definitely. I think that's the best take we currently have -- that whether Chicago did or didn't skip the traditional ceremony, it's part of a pattern we see around the US and it doesn't necessarily tell us anything about Chicago's mafia culture by itself.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

According to a different source Solly D retired and Jimmy I is now running the Outfit. Don't know if this means Jimmy I is the actual boss or the acting boss, but whichever the case, he's in charge. I brought this info to my usual source (the guy who knows about Cicero), and he says it could be true but isn't certain. My Cicero source says that Jimmy I, Sal C and Rainones prefer to avoid social media.
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

Antiliar wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:10 pm According to a different source Solly D retired and Jimmy I is now running the Outfit. Don't know if this means Jimmy I is the actual boss or the acting boss, but whichever the case, he's in charge. I brought this info to my usual source (the guy who knows about Cicero), and he says it could be true but isn't certain. My Cicero source says that Jimmy I, Sal C and Rainones prefer to avoid social media.
I’m not surprised Solly D is retired. I actually figured he was despite the reports that he was running the Outfit. He’s got legit businesses and is on social media. How reliable is this source?
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

My Cicero source is reliable. The other one is newer, so I can't vouch for him. So I'm just passing this along as something that *could* be true.
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

It sounds very possible.
Coloboy
Straightened out

Post by Coloboy »

This seems very plausible. I've facebook stalked Solly D a few times (only a little creepy?) , and in some recent photos it looks like his health has headed a bit south. He was in a wheelchair etc. This would seem to line up with your sources assertion that he may have stepped down recently.

If it is true, I would bet that Antiliar's Cicero source would find out and be able to confirm eventually, even if the news takes some time to reach him.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Coloboy wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:13 am This seems very plausible. I've facebook stalked Solly D a few times (only a little creepy?) , and in some recent photos it looks like his health has headed a bit south. He was in a wheelchair etc. This would seem to line up with your sources assertion that he may have stepped down recently.

If it is true, I would bet that Antiliar's Cicero source would find out and be able to confirm eventually, even if the news takes some time to reach him.
Agreed.

Also would make sense that Jimmy I, Sal C, and Rainone would keep off of social media, as these are blue collar, street type guys, whose names are in the press and who have extensive criminal histories. Whereas the LoBues and Nittis are businessmen; makes sense that they’d have a social media presence, with friends, family, business acquaintances. These are people “hiding in plain sight”, so them having some social media, if anything, would make them look less suspicious if someone started looking into them.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

No idea where else to put this, but anyway I just watched the Accardo testimony and if anyone is wondering what the fuck he's talking about when he says "Bunchawannaland -- wherever dat's at!" when he's asked about his African safari, he means Botswana.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bechuanaland_Protectorate
EYYYY ALL YOU CHOOCHES OUT THERE IT'S THE KID
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

Interesting article about Chicagoan film director Michael Mann. He claims Joey Lombardo told him he didn’t have to worry about Tony Spilotro disrupting his tv series Crime Story, the main character was based after Spilotro. Unfortunately it could not have been Joey Lombardo because he was in jail at the time. I’m curious who it really was. He obviously got it mixed up

https://deadline.com/2022/08/michael-ma ... 8/#respond
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

Michael Mann grew up in Humboldt, so fairly close to the patch. I have no doubt he probably knew who some of these guys were.Heard an interview with him where he started to talk about the Outfit and the interviewer moved on, much to much disappointment.
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

funkster wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:50 pm Michael Mann grew up in Humboldt, so fairly close to the patch. I have no doubt he probably knew who some of these guys were.Heard an interview with him where he started to talk about the Outfit and the interviewer moved on, much to much disappointment.
Oh yea he definitely knew some guys. The bank robber that they talk about in the article that they recently called up on a conference call for technical advice is Jerry Scalise. What really interest me is John Santucci. Santucci was a CI but also doing a lot of scores. In his later life he had issues with Anthony Giannone. I can’t remember if Giannone ratted on him or the other way around. It was in Don Heroin’s book. Still hoping Mann does the Accardo and Giancana movie he has been talking about for years. A sequel to the movie Thief sounds interesting too
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

funkster wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:50 pm Michael Mann grew up in Humboldt, so fairly close to the patch. I have no doubt he probably knew who some of these guys were.Heard an interview with him where he started to talk about the Outfit and the interviewer moved on, much to much disappointment.
In 1950, when he was 7, his family lived at Kedzie and North Ave, when that part of Humboldt Park was still largely Jewish. At least into the 1940s, however, there had been a number of Sicilian outfit guys in that immediate area: Jim DeGeorge, most notably, as well as Nicola Diana, Snakes Gervasi, and Onofrio Vitale. Obviously, these guys were all before Michael Mann’s time, but given that his father was a grocer, one wonders if he would’ve had some contacts in OC (produce wholesalers, “protection”, etc).
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

This fuckin guy…
Antiliar