Visiting the West Side 1963

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Re: Visiting the West Side 1963

Post by Angelo Santino »

Also, Vincenzo Generosa lived until 1981 so he's a member that can be added.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

John Luciana was a member of the Boiardo crew so I'm assuming Newark based. There was one John Luciano John J Luciano:
Birth
3 Jun 1931
Death
26 Jul 1996

His father was Costantino (1903) and came from either Castelvetere in Val Fortore, in the Province of Benevento or Castelvetere sul Calore, in the Province of Avellino. His mother Michellina was born in Boston but I can't find a marriage certificate to find her last name.
bn
Straightened out

Post by bn »

Not sure if this was added already or not but I believe Salvatore Gaetano Maiorana's nephew Pete was also a member, IDK his year of birth but a good amount of sources list him dying in 1969. Toddo (S. G. Maiorana) may have been a captain, he was believed to have been identified as such by the 1950s. It seems unlikely that Maiorana was a guy who would be demoted. Also some sources state he took over for Nunzio 'Harry' Lanza in the early 70s, but Lanza wasn't listed as a captain in the list. A guy on reddit did a really good bio on Maiorana worth checking out, but yeah. I think he may have been a capo.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Pandolfo could have been an official consigliere for about a year or two before he died. Aside from that we have a knowledge gap until Miranda, who is assumed to have become consig in 1957, but it's possible that he was made consig earlier.
bn
Straightened out

Post by bn »

Yep, about a decade gap. I wonder who was con, maybe Rocco Pellegrino or Generosos 'taddo' Del Duca?
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

There was a Mario Fiore and Angelo Fiore who were Springfield members. Mario I found but Angelo remains elusive. There was one born in 1881 and another in 1931. On MM charts there's an Angelo Fiore listed with an alias of Don Angelo but doesn't specify this name as Springfield but has him listed as a capodecina.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

There's more than a few Anthony Florios, I need more info to narrow it down.

I have about 30 names out of 170 that I cleared that I just cannot take any farther. I'll finish and then try again and then come here for help. Some guys, like Ardito, his grandfather arrived in 1880 and it just says Italy. We can guess the origin based on the surname but it's not a confirmation. I've run into this issue with New Orleans names. Perhaps the best listing for a name like Giov. Battista Licavoli-Tocco-Zerilli coming from Italy in 1880 should be: "Italy" (Terrasini, Palermo, Sicilia?). It's stating the facts known while stating a guess.

This family has really been a tour of Lazio, Campania, Apuglia and Basilicata. I've never "explored" this region and length and it was painful at first. I'm pretty well-rounded in looking up Calabrese and Sicilians but further north, it's a slightly different beast. They change their names more, many 2nd or 3rd generation Americans with their families coming in the 1880's and 90's to Little Italy, Springfield and Newark and Pennsylvania. So far, I'd say it's a safe assertion that the majority of Genovese members' mainlander families were in America longer than the Gambinos. They are on par with members from Kansas City which is after New Orleans. They're all mainland so it's not like they imported the Sicilian Mafia. Some of them were likely affiliated with something else before joining, others were likely Americans of Italian descent who qualified for membership based off of whatever they did. The Sicilians in that family mostly came after the 1900's.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

Here's a member: Anthony Marchitto

- He's listed as a Genovese member here (https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... lPageId=18)

- The 1963 Valachi chart lists him as a member of the Boiardo crew but that's wrong. He was very likely part of the Eboli crew. He was arrested several times with the Mannas, both father and son.

This was his information:

ANTHONY MICHAEL MARCHITTO
(Tony Cheese)
DOB: Aug 30 1911
POB: Jersey City, NJ
F: Michael Marchitto
M: Josephine Lanna
W: Rose De Angeles
Address: 130 Greenville Ave., Jersey City, NJ
FBI #: 649163A

The Manna family lived 6 houses down the road from his parents (https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui-co ... 19207:2442)
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Edward Lanzieri was born in 1916 to Nicola Lanzieri (Nocera Inferiore, Campania) and Anne Lucania. Her father is named Giuseppe and he came from Lercara Friddi.
31301_168587-01214.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Angelo LaPadura married Vita Monaco from Santo Stefano, Agrigento. In the 1950 census he's living in Maricopa, AZ where he owns a grocery store.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

Chris Christie wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:09 am Angelo LaPadura married Vita Monaco from Santo Stefano, Agrigento. In the 1950 census he's living in Maricopa, AZ where he owns a grocery store.
On LCN Bios it says: "In May 1914 [LaPadura] married Vida Monaco in Garfield, New Jersey. Bride's family from Santo Stefano di Camastra in Messina, Sicily."

(https://lcnbios.blogspot.com/2022/05/an ... ovese.html)
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Are we sure that Peter LaPlaca of NJ was Calabrese? What I'm seeing is that his parents were Domenico from Castellano Sicula and Adriana Riotto from Petralia Sottana. Not too far from each other.

FBI Dead list:
LAPLACA PETER DOMINICK d.12/3/1979

Searching for a 1979 death date gives me a Peter LaPlaca of 4/21/1902. There are several Peter LaPlacas in NJ, one born in 1891 but the one born in 1902 is the died in Dec of 1979.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

JoelTurner wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:16 am
Chris Christie wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:09 am Angelo LaPadura married Vita Monaco from Santo Stefano, Agrigento. In the 1950 census he's living in Maricopa, AZ where he owns a grocery store.
On LCN Bios it says: "In May 1914 [LaPadura] married Vida Monaco in Garfield, New Jersey. Bride's family from Santo Stefano di Camastra in Messina, Sicily."

(https://lcnbios.blogspot.com/2022/05/an ... ovese.html)
Thanks.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

This can't be right. Closest match for Peter Mione comes from Castellammare. I looked up what MM charts had and same thing.

Pietro Peter Mione
1897–1973
BIRTH 7 JUL 1897 • Castellammare del Golfo, Trapani, Sicilia, Italy

DEATH 25 JUL 1973 • New York
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

There could be something to it. Bonanno member Gaspare Mione/Maione was from Castellammare and two of his sisters married into the Callace family from Corleone, one of these being Lucchese member Frank Callace. One of the sisters allegedly provided the furniture at the Bronx apartment used in the Mineo/Ferrigno killing.

If Pietro was related to Gaspare it could fit in with the Corleonesi / Lucchese connection.