First look at ‘Sopranos’ prequel…

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Re: First look at ‘Sopranos’ prequel…

Post by PolackTony »

InCamelot wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:47 pm
PolackTony wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:08 pm Finally bit the bullet and watched it. It’s not great. I wouldn’t go so far as to say that it’s awful, exactly, but it was a pretty poorly executed and underwhelming film. There were some high points in the form of some decent acting (Gandolfini, Alessandro Nivola, the actresses that played Livia and Giuseppina, Leon Odom), but this was at least outweighed by the numerous questionable decisions and odd portrayals. Paulie and Silvio were painful to watch. The last scene with Silvio and Dickie was cornball and awkward to the point of being nauseating (“beyond this thing of ours”). I agree with other comments that they tried to do way too much with too little time (while wasting what little they had to work with on seemingly pointless scenes and cheap nods to the series like Johnny shooting through Livia’s hairdo). I thought it was actually quite a bit less “woke” than some comments had led me to expect, but I agree that it was difficult to really understand what Chase et al were trying to accomplish with the riot stuff and the Harold subplot (or is it the main plot?). It would be one thing if the war with Harold tied into Dickie’s death, then there would be a narrative arc there, at least.

Don’t even get me started on Junior. Painful to watch and, to me, a bizarre choice. We know that Junior was vindictive and Machiavellian and could harbor bitter grudges even against family. But no way do I buy him as a bumbling cuck in his prime, who would’ve let a pissant kid like Paulie talk to him like that in front of other made guys. I understand that this was part of building towards Junior having Dickie clipped, but c’mon. For me, the pathos of Junior’s character in the series (apart from being how utterly alone he really was), was seeing him reduced to what he became from old age, bitterness, and dementia. It just doesn’t work if he was a doofus in his prime.

Since when were Silvio and Big Pussy that much older than Tony? These guys got their start running around together. But then Sil is already well into the life and greets Tony as “kid” here. How is Sil freaking bald as a teenager (or even early twenty-something, if they’re really stretching it)?? No way was Sil’s hair fake, I mean c’mon. Super cheap move and odd choice, again. Also, not for nothing, but why would Tony be skeeved about taking the JBLs when he apparently had no problem jumping an ice cream vendor and hijacking the truck?? Incoherent.

Chris voiceover: completely unnecessary. Chattering dead in the opening scene: cornball. Frank Lucas: for the love of God, why?? Junior’s “comedian” comment to Joey Diaz’s character: cheap.

As someone else already stated, this just didn’t feel at all like something from the Sopranos universe. Much of it was muddled and glib and superficial. My favorite scene was the one with the guidance counselor (they should’ve had Coach Horseface back on), as this was one of the only ones that felt “in universe”. Most strikingly, the movie was terribly unfunny. This was almost criminally offense to me, given how unbelievably funny the series was. Amid all of the eye-rolls and groans, I don’t think I even so much as smiled.

Lastly, the biggest question of all: how did Johnny Boy get away with the mustache??
Except the Chris VO, agree 100%.
Strange movie, so far not in a good way. Gotta see it again
I may watch it again, but this was an unenjoyable two hours of my life that I will never get back. I could’ve rewatched two episodes of the series, or The Wire, and would’ve felt that I had a decent Saturday night. I had to watch it at least the once out of a sense of duty, while trying to keep an open mind. The chattering tombstones already told me not to expect great things, however.

I thought the Chris VO was unnecessary and added nothing of substance to the movie. But I’ll concede that it ranks low in the litany of outrages that I’ve enumerated.

I can only hope that when I do rewatch the series, I won’t have intrusive thoughts of this absurd portrayal of Junior while Dom Chianese sings “Core ‘Ngrato”.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
InCamelot
Straightened out

Post by InCamelot »

PolackTony wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:12 pm
PolackTony wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:08 pm Finally bit the bullet and watched it. It’s not great. I wouldn’t go so far as to say that it’s awful, exactly, but it was a pretty poorly executed and underwhelming film. There were some high points in the form of some decent acting (Gandolfini, Alessandro Nivola, the actresses that played Livia and Giuseppina, Leon Odom), but this was at least outweighed by the numerous questionable decisions and odd portrayals. Paulie and Silvio were painful to watch. The last scene with Silvio and Dickie was cornball and awkward to the point of being nauseating (“beyond this thing of ours”). I agree with other comments that they tried to do way too much with too little time (while wasting what little they had to work with on seemingly pointless scenes and cheap nods to the series like Johnny shooting through Livia’s hairdo). I thought it was actually quite a bit less “woke” than some comments had led me to expect, but I agree that it was difficult to really understand what Chase et al were trying to accomplish with the riot stuff and the Harold subplot (or is it the main plot?). It would be one thing if the war with Harold tied into Dickie’s death, then there would be a narrative arc there, at least.

Don’t even get me started on Junior. Painful to watch and, to me, a bizarre choice. We know that Junior was vindictive and Machiavellian and could harbor bitter grudges even against family. But no way do I buy him as a bumbling cuck in his prime, who would’ve let a pissant kid like Paulie talk to him like that in front of other made guys. I understand that this was part of building towards Junior having Dickie clipped, but c’mon. For me, the pathos of Junior’s character in the series (apart from being how utterly alone he really was), was seeing him reduced to what he became from old age, bitterness, and dementia. It just doesn’t work if he was a doofus in his prime.

Since when were Silvio and Big Pussy that much older than Tony? These guys got their start running around together. But then Sil is already well into the life and greets Tony as “kid” here. How is Sil freaking bald as a teenager (or even early twenty-something, if they’re really stretching it)?? No way was Sil’s hair fake, I mean c’mon. Super cheap move and odd choice, again. Also, not for nothing, but why would Tony be skeeved about taking the JBLs when he apparently had no problem jumping an ice cream vendor and hijacking the truck?? Incoherent.

Chris voiceover: completely unnecessary. Chattering dead in the opening scene: cornball. Frank Lucas: for the love of God, why?? Junior’s “comedian” comment to Joey Diaz’s character: cheap.

As someone else already stated, this just didn’t feel at all like something from the Sopranos universe. Much of it was muddled and glib and superficial. My favorite scene was the one with the guidance counselor (they should’ve had Coach Horseface back on), as this was one of the only ones that felt “in universe”. Most strikingly, the movie was terribly unfunny. This was almost criminally offense to me, given how unbelievably funny the series was. Amid all of the eye-rolls and groans, I don’t think I even so much as smiled.

Lastly, the biggest question of all: how did Johnny Boy get away with the mustache??
I may watch it again, but this was an unenjoyable two hours of my life that I will never get back. I could’ve rewatched two episodes of the series, or The Wire, and would’ve felt that I had a decent Saturday night. I had to watch it at least the once out of a sense of duty, while trying to keep an open mind. The chattering tombstones already told me not to expect great things, however.

I thought the Chris VO was unnecessary and added nothing of substance to the movie. But I’ll concede that it ranks low in the litany of outrages that I’ve enumerated.

I can only hope that when I do rewatch the series, I won’t have intrusive thoughts of this absurd portrayal of Junior while Dom Chianese sings “Core ‘Ngrato”.
I know I said this earlier already but the Chris VO is the only way this terrible movie can be justified. That this is HIS deluded attempt to justify why his uncle killed him and why he has no dad and why his life was so doomed from the start, etc.

Like I said in the previous post, Chris DID have some shitty story ideas (his script he gave Jon Faverau, 'Cleaver') . And this being Chris' imagining of the past, a past he wasn't even there for, does explain the terrible impressions/caricatures, forced in references to the show, and just general poor/lazy justification for what happened to Tony's life. It also explains the slight age/time period inaccuracies.

But aside from all that, showing a little boy at the beginning of a movie and saying 'this kid ended up choking me to death' is a pretty compelling start. I do like the VO for that straightforward reason.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

InCamelot wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:10 pm
PolackTony wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:12 pm

I know I said this earlier already but the Chris VO is the only way this terrible movie can be justified. That this is HIS deluded attempt to justify why his uncle killed him and why he has no dad and why his life was so doomed from the start, etc.

Like I said in the previous post, Chris DID have some shitty story ideas (his script he gave Jon Faverau, 'Cleaver') . And this being Chris' imagining of the past, a past he wasn't even there for, does explain the terrible impressions/caricatures, forced in references to the show, and just general poor/lazy justification for what happened to Tony's life. It also explains the slight age/time period inaccuracies.

But aside from all that, showing a little boy at the beginning of a movie and saying 'this kid ended up choking me to death' is a pretty compelling start. I do like the VO for that straightforward reason.
Faint praise, my dude.

I’ll grant that this film could only make sense as the product of the brain trust behind “I must be loyle to my capo” and “the roof is hot taw!”.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Did they at least do Feech LeMannas card game robbery? If not, that's a fuckin disgrace...
dack2001
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by dack2001 »

Silly movie. A black numbers runner is going to take on his Italian boss and he won't have 100 guys gunning for him the next day? In the history of Newark there were battles over the Italians poaching each others black numbers runners. Don't see any account of the black numbers runners turning into Rambo and shooting up his Italian bosses. Woke indeed. And the sub-plot of Junior being upset with Dickie because he laughed at him hurting his back...silly. A better movie would have simply followed Barry Haydu and Jilly Ruffalo and a strung out Dickie taking out an eye and then Dickie getting wacked. Instead we squeeze a 100% improbable race story. I like the actors in the main roles, thought the call backs to Pussy, Sil and Paulie were laughable. Thought the girl who played Ray Liotta's wife was excellent, she brings a lot to table.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

CabriniGreen wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:04 am Did they at least do Feech LeMannas card game robbery? If not, that's a fuckin disgrace...
Nah, but if they had they would’ve fucked that up too. TBF, it wouldn’t have taken place during the time of the movie anyway. Tony only turns towards a life of crime after Dickie is killed, presumably due to the anger he feels after his surrogate father figure is killed.
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

Had a second viewing and it went over better. I liked it more the second time around.

Tony, funny you mention that about the mustache...said to my wife immediately well that's a screw up, Johnny would never have been allowed to have one. The junior actor did a decent job, but I also agree I always thought of junior being a standup guy in his day and was just doddering in the series cause he was old. Thought it was much more interesting to wonder what he was like when he was in his peak. Didn't like the choice to make him perpetually doddering.

Finally, Joey Diaz yelling that he was Sicilian and a long quiet pause? Oof...that was the most cringe scene in the entire thing.
Raven
Straightened out

Post by Raven »

dack2001 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:45 am Silly movie. A black numbers runner is going to take on his Italian boss and he won't have 100 guys gunning for him the next day? In the history of Newark there were battles over the Italians poaching each others black numbers runners. Don't see any account of the black numbers runners turning into Rambo and shooting up his Italian bosses. Woke indeed. And the sub-plot of Junior being upset with Dickie because he laughed at him hurting his back...silly. A better movie would have simply followed Barry Haydu and Jilly Ruffalo and a strung out Dickie taking out an eye and then Dickie getting wacked. Instead we squeeze a 100% improbable race story. I like the actors in the main roles, thought the call backs to Pussy, Sil and Paulie were laughable. Thought the girl who played Ray Liotta's wife was excellent, she brings a lot to table.
Am I overthinking or was the cop Dickie was talking to at the beginning of the riots a young Barry Haydu? Looked like it could have been to me. Dickies wife was prettier than his fathers. Why make her his mistress? She had a weird mole on her chin.
Nick Prango
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Nick Prango »

Michael Franzese is bashing the movie in his review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggME8xM ... elFranzese
Nick Prango
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Nick Prango »

Micheal Franzese says The Many Saints of Newark is an attack against the Italian-American mafia & even just normal Italian-Americans, he also says it’s woke. I do agree with most things he says about the movie.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

dack2001 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:45 am Silly movie. A black numbers runner is going to take on his Italian boss and he won't have 100 guys gunning for him the next day? In the history of Newark there were battles over the Italians poaching each others black numbers runners. Don't see any account of the black numbers runners turning into Rambo and shooting up his Italian bosses. Woke indeed. And the sub-plot of Junior being upset with Dickie because he laughed at him hurting his back...silly. A better movie would have simply followed Barry Haydu and Jilly Ruffalo and a strung out Dickie taking out an eye and then Dickie getting wacked. Instead we squeeze a 100% improbable race story. I like the actors in the main roles, thought the call backs to Pussy, Sil and Paulie were laughable. Thought the girl who played Ray Liotta's wife was excellent, she brings a lot to table.
I haven't seen it yet but the racial rewriting of history is why I didn't like the movie Hoodlum and won't even bother with Godfather of Harlem.

I'll just refer to the example of a black civic leader and nightclub owner operator, Robert (Bobby) Harris, who made the mistake of opening up a sportsbook that catered to black players in Tino Fiumara's territory. Gang Land News wrote that, when his body was found at a dump on March 29, 1969, his skull was crushed. His spine was broken. The ribs on the right side of his body were caved in. Nine ribs on the left side were fractured, as was his right leg. For good measure, Harris was shot once in the chest. He was in a kneeling position, with his ankles tied to the back of his head with wire. He had disappeared three months earlier.

Federal prosecutors in Newark told a federal judge that Fiumara was responsible. “We received information from confidential informants that Tino had done it and had driven the trussed up body around to make sure everyone knew that the [Genovese] family was very serious about its control of all the bookmaking business in New Jersey,” said one law enforcement source.
All roads lead to New York.
dack2001
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by dack2001 »

I wasn't looking at her chin, I'll tell you that.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

dack2001 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:31 pm I wasn't looking at her chin, I'll tell you that.
Yeah, for real. A "mole on her chin?" Give me a break, what are you married to, a supermodel?
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Dickie’s wife was, of course, a portrayal of a young Joanne Blundetto.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

funkster wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:37 am
Finally, Joey Diaz yelling that he was Sicilian and a long quiet pause? Oof...that was the most cringe scene in the entire thing.
Yup, that one was another major groan and eye roll.

“Hey, I’m Sigilian’!!”