General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by B. »

And when you talk about "lack of sources," feel free to come up with anything that comes even remotely close to the FBI giving a specific, non-rounded figure back in 2007.
Not sure I understand this remark -- I wasn't challenging the FBI's 2007 list. You made a statement about the inner-workings of the organization (making a decision to stop inducting members) that so far hasn't been corroborated by any known sources.
Johnny1and1
Straightened out

Post by Johnny1and1 »

If it ain’t in a newspaper article (an article he is aware of) or in court documents (as reported, and he is aware of, not actual court documents) he don’t believe it.

Believe him, don’t believe others.

It takes the willing suspension of disbelief for rational people to hop on that train.
Vacari Lives!
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

Couple of things, new Apple plus show Shining Girls set in Chicago features an appearance of Richards Bar and a scene filmed in Burger Baron.

Also, somewhat outfit related, I heard Pat the dentist has passed away.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Post by Newyorkempire »

Antiliar wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:19 pm Video of Richard's Bar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKB-MA-oSxw&t=5s
Still mob affiliated?
"Dont leave me alone with your wife."
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

funkster wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 6:28 pm Couple of things, new Apple plus show Shining Girls set in Chicago features an appearance of Richards Bar and a scene filmed in Burger Baron.

Also, somewhat outfit related, I heard Pat the dentist has passed away.
Yep. Here is the obit which was in the tribune today.

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/ch ... d=34511678
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Newyorkempire wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 4:06 pmYou contradict yourself through and through. Again, you have no credentials to decide what is considered substantial or what is important. YOU ARE GIVING YOUR OPINIONS. What dont you comprehend. My God. My claim is that you misinterpret pretty much everything in order to try to convince us that at the macro level the mob has declined. This is old news. Great research. Your posts are boring and stale and id rather read someone you think is Vacari because at least its a different claim. Have you ever been inside any mobbed up place in Utah? No. So right there you do not have nearly as many interesting stories as people who may or may not have which you dont have to believe regardless. You think some posters are full of shit and some think you are. Now what? You really have nothing. Outside relaying articles you really arent much of a poster. As shown by everyone's comments about you, todays comments specifically, shows how senile you are. Thats why I ask if you re in law enforcement and this has all been a big ruse to convince us you have destroyed the mob.
I don't contradict myself. Your reading comprehension just sucks. You disagreeing with me isn't it the worst part. Or even your childish default position to hype the mob. It's your inability to follow along, to understand what is being said. It's something like trying to explain algebra to a third grader. Futile.
Johnny1and1 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 4:27 pm If it ain’t in a newspaper article (an article he is aware of) or in court documents (as reported, and he is aware of, not actual court documents) he don’t believe it.

It takes the willing suspension of disbelief for rational people to hop on that train.
Right, there's crews all over Florida, Tampa is still in the game, and you're somehow in a position to come here and tell us all about it. Florida is the future!
All roads lead to New York.
Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Post by Newyorkempire »

Wiseguy wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:30 pm
Newyorkempire wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 4:06 pmYou contradict yourself through and through. Again, you have no credentials to decide what is considered substantial or what is important. YOU ARE GIVING YOUR OPINIONS. What dont you comprehend. My God. My claim is that you misinterpret pretty much everything in order to try to convince us that at the macro level the mob has declined. This is old news. Great research. Your posts are boring and stale and id rather read someone you think is Vacari because at least its a different claim. Have you ever been inside any mobbed up place in Utah? No. So right there you do not have nearly as many interesting stories as people who may or may not have which you dont have to believe regardless. You think some posters are full of shit and some think you are. Now what? You really have nothing. Outside relaying articles you really arent much of a poster. As shown by everyone's comments about you, todays comments specifically, shows how senile you are. Thats why I ask if you re in law enforcement and this has all been a big ruse to convince us you have destroyed the mob.
I don't contradict myself. Your reading comprehension just sucks. You disagreeing with me isn't it the worst part. Or even your childish default position to hype the mob. It's your inability to follow along, to understand what is being said. It's something like trying to explain algebra to a third grader. Futile.
Johnny1and1 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 4:27 pm If it ain’t in a newspaper article (an article he is aware of) or in court documents (as reported, and he is aware of, not actual court documents) he don’t believe it.

Right, there's crews all over Florida, Tampa is still in the game, and you're somehow in a position to come here and tell us all about it. Florida is the future!
Read everyones comments from today. You got exposed by newcomers and veterans alike. Does it burn you good I got upped today too? Fall back "Wise"guy. Let the men take it from here. Youre posting about Florida in a Chicago thread. Seems like the comprehension is missing on your end.
Last edited by Newyorkempire on Sun May 01, 2022 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

Antiliar wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:47 pm
Wiseguy wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:17 pm
Antiliar wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:05 pmIt's a straw man fallacy to claim that anyone is claiming over 30 current members. 20 being a stretch is your opinion based on out of date information.
Coloboy said 20-40. Granted he's the only I've seen throw out that high of a number and my comment was in response to that.

By "definitive evidence" I'm talking about a guy being identified as made in an indictment/press release, law enforcement report, legal proceedings, by a law enforcement official, that type of thing. The last thing like that we've seen is from 2007 when 28 members was the figure and several have died since then. If you've seen anything like that since, please share. This isn't out of date if all that is being added is assumption based on the general Italian population of Chicago or nameless sources on the internet. Especially in light of the lack of cases, particularly significant cases, out Chicago.
In fairness to Coloboy he was making a range estimate and didn't actually claim there were 40 members. When we debate others, as a general rule we should assume charity over malice, and mistakes over willful wrongdoing. We see bad faith interpretations all the time in political debates, where people assume the worst, least charitable interpretation possible. So just a friendly suggestion would be to show a bit more flexibility and charity in discussions.

As for "definitive evidence," if that's your criteria, then you may have a long wait. In the 2009 indictment of Mark Sarno, he wasn't even ID'd as an Outfit member, although we know from other sources that he was the boss at that time. The indictment didn't use the words Outfit, Cosa Nostra, LCN, mob or Mafia. He was just the head of a conspiracy that engaged in certain specified crimes that involved particular people who were also defendants. Despite the hype and the claims, there was no Family Secrets 2.

The fact is that since the original FS case the Illinois federal attorney have avoided making any statements on the Outfit in indictments. Even in the Rudy Fratto case, the only mention was that Fratto had represented himself to others as an Outfit member. The feds neither confirmed nor denied it in its press release, despite Nick Calabrese's testimony. So the feds are showing a real hesitancy to divulge this information. It seems to me that without having made members testifying post-Calabrese, the feds are not making any public claims. Elsewhere the feds have revealed that they do have confidential informants, but they apparently believe that's insufficient. So in my opinion we probably shouldn't assume that the feds themselves don't have "definitive evidence" that neither you nor I have or that such "definitive evidence" doesn't exist.

Sarno indictment:
https://www.justice.gov/archive/usao/il ... 28_01a.pdf

Fratto press release:
https://archives.fbi.gov/archives/chica ... 031210.htm
Wiseguy wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:17 pm Chicago hasn't been a "major family" in years. If we're just going to assume there have been making ceremonies post-1990's, why just stop at a few? Hell, maybe the Outfit has had one every year, making several guys in each. Might as well go big.
That's a slippery slope fallacy and unreasonable and unnecessary hyperbole. No one is claiming the Outfit has annual making ceremonies. You don't help your credibility when you make these fallacious arguments.
The thing about fratto is incorrect. He was not charged as a made memeber but when he was sentenced the government said he deserved and upward departure for being a made member and provided their proof that he was made. You can look it up or I’ll find it for you if you can’t. I got it saved somewhere

I found it here is part that I copied and pasted

B. Nature of Offense and History and Characteristics of Defendant – § 3553(a)(1)
During the commission of the offense, Fratto was a “made” member of the Chicago Outfit. Nicholas Calabrese (“Calabrese”) testified under oath in the Family Secrets trial that Fratto became a made member of the Outfit in 1988. United States v. Calabrese, et al., 02 CR 1050 (NDIL 2007), aff’d sub nom. United States v. Schiro, 679 F.3d 521 (7th Cir. 2012), (Family Secrets Transcript at 2709-10 attached as Exhibit A and 2855 // 17-18 attached as Exhibit B). Calabrese’ testimony is highly credible. In 2002, Calabrese began cooperating with the government. United States v. Ambrose, 668 F.3d 943, 948 (7th Cir. 2012). He was a “made” member of the Chicago Outfit. Id. A made member is someone who has gained a heightened role in the Outfit by proving himself based upon his trustworthiness and performance. Id. A person would not even be considered for that status until he had committed a homicide on behalf of the Outfit. Id. Because he was a made member, Calabrese was privy to a great deal of information and access. Id. Calabrese was the most important organized crime witness who ever testified in the Northern District of Illinois. Id. He was a key witness in the Family Secrets prosecution which brought RICO charges against the Outfit and which resulted in the conviction of all five defendants by a jury. Id.; Schiro, 679 F.3d at 524. See also Hanhardt, 361 F.3d at 393 (proper to consider out-of-court
Last edited by Pete on Sun May 01, 2022 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I agree with phat,I love those old fucks and he's right.we all got some cosa nostra in us.I personnely love the life.I think we on the forum would be the ultimate crew! - camerono
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

I believe it was magnafichi who said difronzo stopped making guys and deactivated the elm wood park crew in mid 90’s. If an actual member is not a good source for the reason for the outfits decline I don’t know what else to say.
I agree with phat,I love those old fucks and he's right.we all got some cosa nostra in us.I personnely love the life.I think we on the forum would be the ultimate crew! - camerono
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Newyorkempire wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:34 pmRead everyones comments from today. You got exposed by newcomers and veterans alike. Does it burn you good I got upped today too? Fall back "Wise"guy. Let the men take it from here. Youre posting about Florida in a Chicago thread. Seems like the comprehension is missing on your end.
Stop trying to piggyback on others. It's just sad. Nobody takes you seriously. You're not among "the men" and nobody cares if your post status recently changed. You're a fanboy who needs to go back to the kid's table. And take Johnny Vacari with you.
All roads lead to New York.
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

Antiliar wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:19 pm Video of Richard's Bar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKB-MA-oSxw&t=5s
lol very good find.
Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Post by Newyorkempire »

Wiseguy wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:51 pm
Newyorkempire wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:34 pmRead everyones comments from today. You got exposed by newcomers and veterans alike. Does it burn you good I got upped today too? Fall back "Wise"guy. Let the men take it from here. Youre posting about Florida in a Chicago thread. Seems like the comprehension is missing on your end.
Stop trying to piggyback on others. It's just sad. Nobody takes you seriously. You're not among "the men" and nobody cares if your post status recently changed. You're a fanboy who needs to go back to the kid's table. And take Johnny Vacari with you.
Love it. Lol. Its just stating facts. Dont get mad you get played every time. Im pointing out what not only me but now many, many see you as. READ the comments and maybe you'll comprehend. You know what you read and then regurgitate it like its gospel as if you matter. And you have no credentials that make you an expert on anything...."I suspect"....no one cares what you suspect (yet more contradiction when you claim you dont give your opinion). You live in Utah. Never even seen an Italian outside a movie, so stop acting like you have some intimate knowledge. Only fanboy here is your. An FBI fanboy
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

Wiseguy wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:36 pm
Newyorkempire wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:53 pmThats my whole point. But then you'll take any indictment from the FBI and pick it apart, give you're own take on it and then say it has little meaning. Its really bizarre. Further, not everyone us giving suppositions only. Some people have direct knowledge on here whether you believe it or not. And again, the irony is you give suppositions when you use words/terms like "I suspect"...youre not even understanding what you are doing is the saddest part. YOU ARE GIVING HEARSAY
What in God's name are you talking about? What indictment have I said has little meaning?

How do you know who has "direct knowledge?" How does someone who is truly in a position to know first hand about who's made in Chicago blab away about that on the internet? How does that work exactly?
B. wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:11 pmDo you have access to sources where modern mafia leaders have officially stated they've stopped inducting new members? Or what the reasons are?

I understand the rationale that LE pressure and a smaller recruitment pool* have made it more difficult to pad the ranks and there may be less incentive to induct members today, but if you're going to state definitively that an organization has stopped inducting new members and has specific rationale for this, you need to provide sources who have stated this.

* - People act like the recruitment process is an exact science, which it isn't. These relationships are more complex than "the mafia needs a large urban Italian-American community where they can recruit the best criminals". The incredible work people like Tony and Antiliar have done shows that Chicago's membership has been influenced by many other factors, just as we see in other Families.
Nobody has said it but, just like Buffalo or Detroit or other places, you can look at the FBI figures over the years and see a clear decline. Do we know 100% that the Outfit hasn't made anyone after the 1990's? No. But we don't have any firm evidence that they have either. So we're left looking at the clear and undeniable decline in membership. I'm sorry but a handful of names that god knows who said are made isn't very convincing.
PolackTony wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:03 pm Not that I’m ascribing this particular argument to anyone here, but one line of reasoning that’s been bandied about to explain the decline of mafia membership is lack of a suitable recruitment pool, at least outside of the core area of the Northeast megalopolis, due to smaller numbers of Italians and the general trend of assimilation. For Chicago, at least, this is definitely not the case, as Antiliar has already suggested. To give those not familiar with Chicago a comparative example, Chicagoland’s Italian population is comparable to that of Philly, or to the total number and proportion of Italians within the 5 boros of NYC. Within this very significant Italian population there are densely interconnected networks of families that have been connected to the Outfit for decades, with ties that go back to their old neighborhoods as well as paesani heritage from Italy. While only a small fraction of people embedded in these networks are going to be directly connected to OC today, this is the soil through which the roots of the mob spread and draw sustenance from. It is the broader network of social influence, status, and trust that the mafia requires to reproduce itself and through which its members and those connected to its members move and seek advantage. Because of the robust history not just of mafia-connected organized crime but also Italian street gangs, there is a definite and enduring criminal element within these networks, which include a good number of hardened career criminals who have proven themselves to be both capable of enforcement tasks and racketeering operations and thus useful to the mob as either workers or potential members. If one is familiar with these social networks and communities, it is entirely unsurprising that hardened former gangbangers like Vena, Sarno, Panozzo, and Louie Rainone figure as important figures in the recent/current Outfit. Another angle is that Chicagoland has had decades of Italian immigration, which as in NYC has served to reinforce the Italian character of these social networks and serves as a counter-balance to the pressures of “assimilation”. Closely related to this phenomenon is the fact that at least since the 1980s the Chicago Outfit has had ties to all four major Italian mafia groups, and a number of the names of likely associates and partners of the Outfit over the last several decades have been from recent (as in 1960s and later) Italian immigrant families. Before Antiliar posted here on the info he reviewed from his source, my hypothesis was that the Outfit’s current recruitment pool consists of three (not mutually exclusive) sources: former Italian gangbangers from organizations historically tied to the Outfit, those from Outfit-connected “heritage” families, and those of recent Italian extraction. His info confirmed this with illustrative examples. His source named Louie Rainone, hardcore gangbanger who served serious time for murdering a rival gangbanger in his youth (and who also grew up with family members direct from Naples), Jason Nitti (from a family that on both sides — the Nittis and the Cerones — has been connected to the Outfit for generations and who also maintain close ties to family/paesani in Italy), and the LoBue brothers (who hail from Trabia, Palermo, an area that has been intimately connected to both the mafia and Chicago’s broader Italian community over 140 years of continuing chain migration).

So, if the Outfit hasn’t been making guys, it’s because they’ve decided not to, not because they don’t have a viable recruitment pool. One can make the argument that the incentives or motivation to continue making guys aren’t there anymore. But this is based entirely on one’s personal assumptions as to the values and motivations of this organization and its members. My belief is that, despite the scope and scale of Chicago’s operations and its major (mafia) status and political influence as a family, they’ve always been highly selective and small in terms of numbers of inducted members of the family as compared to their peer families in NYC. While 20-30 actual members today would certainly be a notable decline compared to the past, it’s not the kind of staggering difference that some might assume if they think that Chicago ever inducted members at numbers comparable to NYC. I see no reason to assume that Chicago would be unable to make guys at sufficient rates in recent years to replenish the ranks of ~20 made guys who stand as high-level figures and de facto “bosses” vis-a-vis the crews of associates who mainly do the actual work for the organization. One can take the validity and reliability of the info that we’ve discussed recently however one wishes, but there is at least evidence that suggests that Chicago has continued to make guys, so my belief is that the motivation and desire to do so remains. For the above reasons, I don’t believe it plausible that they don’t have the ability to make more than one guy at a time at extended intervals, if they so choose. I don’t think that they have or need a lot of seats to fill in terms of formal membership, so I find it fully reasonable that they’d have no problem replenishing the ranks of what is a downscaled and smaller family.
I think it goes without saying that the Outfit would have had to decide to stop making new members. Not simply doing so because of lack of Italians in Chicago. But if the Outfit was pegged by the feds at a 41-51 range during the 1980s and 1990s, and down to 28 members by 2007, wouldn't we see a similar decline in the 15 years thereafter? I don't think it's completely out of the realm of possibility that a few guys have been made post-1990's I just don't see any clear evidence of it. How are Louie Rainone, Jason Nitti, or the LoBue brothers different from dozens of other names floated as members or possible members for Chicago but with no official verification? But, given that people use to float numbers like 60 or 70 for Chicago a decade ago, I suppose 20-25 is progress of a sort.
Wiseguy and I disagree on much but as I’ve mentioned here before I know a person who at various times was said to be the boss off the outfit. Besides some general comments like he used to run casinos back in the day or stories in a similar vein there wasn’t any inside information given out nor would I think many would. I can only speak on that because it’s someone I’ve spent time talking to. He never mentioned the outfit or anyone specifically and I’m guessing if you asked him he would be pretty pissed off. I was one of the few people arguing on here that he wasn’t the boss despite what articles said on the internet. And If he was the boss that says even more about the state of the outfit because the guy didn’t seem to do much else besides run his legit company and spent time with his family. Are there some wise guys who blab to random people they know? Probably but from people I know I’ve never heard one of them bring it up in Chicago. General talk about gambling etc sure, who’s made and who’s not? No. Again just my experience
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Pete wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:35 pm
The thing about fratto is incorrect. He was not charged as a made memeber but when he was sentenced the government said he deserved and upward departure for being a made member and provided their proof that he was made. You can look it up or I’ll find it for you if you can’t. I got it saved somewhere

I found it here is part that I copied and pasted

B. Nature of Offense and History and Characteristics of Defendant – § 3553(a)(1)
During the commission of the offense, Fratto was a “made” member of the Chicago Outfit. Nicholas Calabrese (“Calabrese”) testified under oath in the Family Secrets trial that Fratto became a made member of the Outfit in 1988. United States v. Calabrese, et al., 02 CR 1050 (NDIL 2007), aff’d sub nom. United States v. Schiro, 679 F.3d 521 (7th Cir. 2012), (Family Secrets Transcript at 2709-10 attached as Exhibit A and 2855 // 17-18 attached as Exhibit B). Calabrese’ testimony is highly credible. In 2002, Calabrese began cooperating with the government. United States v. Ambrose, 668 F.3d 943, 948 (7th Cir. 2012). He was a “made” member of the Chicago Outfit. Id. A made member is someone who has gained a heightened role in the Outfit by proving himself based upon his trustworthiness and performance. Id. A person would not even be considered for that status until he had committed a homicide on behalf of the Outfit. Id. Because he was a made member, Calabrese was privy to a great deal of information and access. Id. Calabrese was the most important organized crime witness who ever testified in the Northern District of Illinois. Id. He was a key witness in the Family Secrets prosecution which brought RICO charges against the Outfit and which resulted in the conviction of all five defendants by a jury. Id.; Schiro, 679 F.3d at 524. See also Hanhardt, 361 F.3d at 393 (proper to consider out-of-court
I was referring to the press release that I provided in the link. That didn't mention that Fratto was a made member, only that he claimed to be one.