General Mob Questions

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Re: General Mob Questions

Post by johnny_scootch »

PolackTony wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:42 pm My take is that Masseria and Morello strategically targeted Mainlanders for recruitment in order to build up the membership of their group, which left a major imprint on the character and make-up of that Family ever since.
I fully agree with this take. I think it's possible they made the same kind of deal they did with Capone (inducting him and allowing him to make several of his closest men) with guys like Frankie Yale, Rocco Pellegrino and the like.
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

Who are the made guys from before the book were closed in 1957 who are still alive? I used to have a list but it looks like it didn't' survive the migration to my new computer. Vincent Aloi and Alphonse 'Funzi' D'Ambrosio of the Colombos; Larry Dentico, Bobby Manna, and Dominick Cirillo (though I reemmber reading he was actually made in the 70s) of the Genovese; and Pasquale Conte and maybe Joseph Marino (also possibly made in the 70s?) and Tommy Gambino (I've seen him IDed as made right before the books closed though more sources say the 70s) of the Gambinos are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Any others?

There's a handful of other made guys pushing 100 like Edward Bonica but I've never seen them ID'd as "golden age" made guys.
Instagram-loving wiseguy of the blood-drenched Boardwalk Syndicate
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Ivan wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:25 am Who are the made guys from before the book were closed in 1957 who are still alive? I used to have a list but it looks like it didn't' survive the migration to my new computer. Vincent Aloi and Alphonse 'Funzi' D'Ambrosio of the Colombos; Larry Dentico, Bobby Manna, and Dominick Cirillo (though I reemmber reading he was actually made in the 70s) of the Genovese; and Pasquale Conte and maybe Joseph Marino (also possibly made in the 70s?) and Tommy Gambino (I've seen him IDed as made right before the books closed though more sources say the 70s) of the Gambinos are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Any others?

There's a handful of other made guys pushing 100 like Edward Bonica but I've never seen them ID'd as "golden age" made guys.

Genovese:
Bobby Manna
Larry Dentico

Gambino:
Patsy Conte
Joe Marino

Colombo:
Vinny Aloi
Alfonse D’Ambrosio (if still alive)

Cirillo and Tommy Gambino were made in the 1970s. Edward Bonica is a strong possibility but it looks like he died earlier this year. The ages match.

https://www.northjersey.com/obituaries/ber113874
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:21 am Genovese:
Bobby Manna
Larry Dentico

Gambino:
Patsy Conte
Joe Marino

Colombo:
Vinny Aloi
Alfonse D’Ambrosio (if still alive)

Cirillo and Tommy Gambino were made in the 1970s. Edward Bonica is a strong possibility but it looks like he died earlier this year. The ages match.

https://www.northjersey.com/obituaries/ber113874
Awesome Pogo, thanks. Do you have the present-day ages of those fellas? D'Ambrosio is still alive according to LCNBios.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Ivan wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:34 am Awesome Pogo, thanks. Do you have the present-day ages of those fellas? D'Ambrosio is still alive according to LCNBios.

The updated ages.

Manna/93
Dentico/99
Conte/98
Marino/99 (100 in September)
Aloi - LCNBios has his age as 89 but in the 1988 senate report his DOB is listed as September 22, 1924 (ironically the same birthday as Marino) but that list has some errors in it so who knows
D’Ambrosio/98

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

thanks Pogo
Makelaiusiwk
Straightened out

Post by Makelaiusiwk »

Bs
Makelaiusiwk
Straightened out

Post by Makelaiusiwk »

Interesting
bn
Straightened out

Post by bn »

Does anyone know where I can find the dead by 1975 lists for Gambino guys? I see it frequently mentioned in the Gambino 1960s thread.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

bn wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:46 pm Does anyone know where I can find the dead by 1975 lists for Gambino guys? I see it frequently mentioned in the Gambino 1960s thread.

Here you go.

https://lcnbios.blogspot.com/2022/10/ga ... -1975.html
bn
Straightened out

Post by bn »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:17 pm
bn wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:46 pm Does anyone know where I can find the dead by 1975 lists for Gambino guys? I see it frequently mentioned in the Gambino 1960s thread.

Here you go.

Thanks for the list Pogo, but I was referring to lists which were produced by the FBI which listed Gambino guys who were dead by 1975. I think the FBI also had lists for the other 4 families but I'm not sure.
Sullycantwell
Straightened out

Post by Sullycantwell »

bn wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:21 pm
Pogo The Clown wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:17 pm

Here you go.

Thanks for the list Pogo, but I was referring to lists which were produced by the FBI which listed Gambino guys who were dead by 1975. I think the FBI also had lists for the other 4 families but I'm not sure.
https://altgov2.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... ltGov2.pdf heres one of the death lists, but not specifically for Gambino guys. If you're looking just for Gambino's by 1975, you could probably do a FOIA.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

Does anyone know what incidents Sam DeCavalcante is referring to in his conversation with Joe Zicarelli ?

1) He mentions the commission stepping in and solving an issue in the DeCavalcante family

2) He says that the commission made John LaRocca, the Pittsburgh boss step down.

I don’t really know anything about Pittsburgh, what event/crisis is he talking about ?
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Random thought.
What's defined in the mob/the streets as a 'tough guy'?
It seems an obvious question but I'm wondering if there's a distinction.
Obviously if you're good with your hands, a brawler, you'd assume this moniker would apply, but what about someone who's clipped several people? Would they be considered a tough guy? This person may not be physically imposing or capable, and if in jail possibly be suspectsble due to a lack of physical capability, but is he considered a tough guy on the street (or in jail) because he's got multiple hits under his belt?
The converse is also true. Is someone adept at brawling still considered a tough guy if they haven't pulled the trigger?

It seems silly but I'm wondering how those in the life perceive each characteristic.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

What are the consequences of killing/putting hands on, an associate of another member/family?
Is a member allowed to put hands/kill an associate of another member, even if that member and associate are part of another family?
I ask as a recent video by OC shorts about whether Billy Batts was actually made (it appears he wasnt) and therefore just an associate on record, but, he was on record, then is it acceptable for DeSimone to clip Batts? Batts was merely an associate...
What are the consequences of an associate on record getting assaulted or murdered by other associates/members? And do the circumstances matter (offense caused etc)?
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.