General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Antiliar
Full Patched

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by Antiliar »

"In earlier testimony Monday, a 55-year-old Bridgeport native with swept-back, salt-and-pepper hair, testifying with immunity from prosecution, told jurors he formerly ran surveillances for the Outfit.

Michael Talarico, admitting he still works as a bookie, recalled how he once left a dead rat, a rope strung around its neck, at the office of someone who apparently ran afoul of his uncle, reputed mob boss Angelo LaPietra.

He said he left the rat on instructions from LaPietra. "He never gave me a reason," Talarico said.

Assistant U.S. Atty. Markus Funk asked whether Talarico had gotten the rat at a pet store. "Yeah, I believe so," Talarico said.

LaPietra put him in business with the Calabrese brothers, Talarico said, and he made payments for running his gambling operation and also gave out juice loans on their behalf.

On cross-examination, he said Nicholas Calabrese once cut off the head of a puppy and placed it on someone's car, a gesture that also went unexplained."

Chicago Tribune, July 17, 2007
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Antiliar wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:50 am "In earlier testimony Monday, a 55-year-old Bridgeport native with swept-back, salt-and-pepper hair, testifying with immunity from prosecution, told jurors he formerly ran surveillances for the Outfit.

Michael Talarico, admitting he still works as a bookie, recalled how he once left a dead rat, a rope strung around its neck, at the office of someone who apparently ran afoul of his uncle, reputed mob boss Angelo LaPietra.

He said he left the rat on instructions from LaPietra. "He never gave me a reason," Talarico said.

Assistant U.S. Atty. Markus Funk asked whether Talarico had gotten the rat at a pet store. "Yeah, I believe so," Talarico said.

LaPietra put him in business with the Calabrese brothers, Talarico said, and he made payments for running his gambling operation and also gave out juice loans on their behalf.

On cross-examination, he said Nicholas Calabrese once cut off the head of a puppy and placed it on someone's car, a gesture that also went unexplained."

I never thought his testimony was particularly damaging and he wasn't really pressed with any tough questions. He would have been hit with contempt if he didn't testify so maybe he was granted permission to do so. Someone like Toots, who apparently didn't care much for Frank Calabrese, may have given the green light for Talarico to take the stand. This wouldn't be unprecedented in the Outfit (Paul Ricca, John Matassa).

Also, you never know. Maybe he was put on the shelf when Angelo died and figured he had nothing to lose by taking the stand? A lot of questions about the whole situation, that's for sure.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Snakes wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:23 pm
Antiliar wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:50 am "In earlier testimony Monday, a 55-year-old Bridgeport native with swept-back, salt-and-pepper hair, testifying with immunity from prosecution, told jurors he formerly ran surveillances for the Outfit.

I never thought his testimony was particularly damaging and he wasn't really pressed with any tough questions. He would have been hit with contempt if he didn't testify so maybe he was granted permission to do so. Someone like Toots, who apparently didn't care much for Frank Calabrese, may have given the green light for Talarico to take the stand. This wouldn't be unprecedented in the Outfit (Paul Ricca, John Matassa).

Also, you never know. Maybe he was put on the shelf when Angelo died and figured he had nothing to lose by taking the stand? A lot of questions about the whole situation, that's for sure.
Angelo was his uncle, so presumably, whether he was made or not, that was his "rabbi" in the Outfit.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

PolackTony wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:42 pm

Angelo was his uncle, so presumably, whether he was made or not, that was his "rabbi" in the Outfit.
I also wonder if he was just shelved once Angelo died.
Coloboy
Straightened out

Post by Coloboy »

"On cross-examination, he said Nicholas Calabrese once cut off the head of a puppy and placed it on someone's car, a gesture that also went unexplained."

Jesus Christ.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Snakes wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:57 pm

Certainly possible. His brother Al Talarico was also close to the Calabrese family (see my post in the Origins thread).
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Coloboy wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:13 pm "On cross-examination, he said Nicholas Calabrese once cut off the head of a puppy and placed it on someone's car, a gesture that also went unexplained."

Jesus Christ.
Yeah, I know. For all of the murder and other violence these guys committed, this one always gets me too. In the grand scheme of all of what the Outfit did, cutting the head off a puppy is very small potatoes, but as a symbolic act I think it's another little glimpse into how dark this family was.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

I should cut your head off you little prick.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

I remember a story I think from Frank jr that talarico said he was out and Ronnie Jarrett and I think shorty lamantia beat the shit out of him. The way he was discussed it didn’t seem to me he was made. Remember it came out shorty wasn’t made either. Of all the people that we know got made in the 3 ceremonies we know about those were all high ranking guys that had done a lot. Talarico didn’t seem to cut it. Rocco Lombardo either as antillar pointed out. Or joe difronzo for that matter. I know wiseguy and I went through this not that long ago and I can’t remember the exact number we came up with but it was under 15 made guys and probably closer to 10. And I think some have died since then. No doubt that family is on fumes within 10 years, maybe less they will be another Cleveland
I agree with phat,I love those old fucks and he's right.we all got some cosa nostra in us.I personnely love the life.I think we on the forum would be the ultimate crew! - camerono
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

Patrickgold wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:11 am
Antiliar wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:17 pm
Snakes wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:32 pm EDIT: Had Roti's name on there for some reason, so I took it off and added Inendino. Also added ages and prison status.

I've also been working on the infamous "28 made members" from the 2007 Chicago SAC comment. This is what I have:

1. Living members (as of 27 September 2007) who had already been identified as "made" on available lists (again, assuming the FBI is the source for the 2000 police booklet list members and also assuming that no names were removed from the FBI membership lists -- either due to additional intel or from Nick C's cooperation)

2. Members added by Nick Calabrese because of their involvement in the 1983 ceremony

3. Members added by Nick Calabrese who were *not* part of the '83 ceremony. I had to guess at these by looking at the names on Nick C's threat assessment, coupled with their relative position in the Outfit at the time and came up with Sarno, Spano, and Inendino. Being on the threat assessment meant that Nick was at least familiar with them and possessed information about them that could lead to closer investigation (such as being made). The other four names on the threat assessment that I passed over were Mickey Marcello, Dino Marino, Jerry Scalise, and Paul Spano, who don't quite match the level of the three I chose.

1. Joseph Andriacchi (74)
2. Robert Bellavia (IP, 67)
3. Frank Calabrese, Sr. (IP, 70)
4. Bruno Caruso (63)
5. Frank Caruso (61)
6. James J. Cerone (57)
7. Marco D'Amico (71)
8. Sal DeLaurentis (71)
9. John DiFronzo (78)
10. Joseph DiFronzo (72)
11. Peter DiFronzo (74)
12. Rudy Fratto (63)
13. Joseph Grieco (79)
14. Nicholas Guzzino (66)
15. James Inendino* (IP, 64)
16. Joey Lombardo (IP, 78)
17. Rocco Lombardo (67)
18. Mike Magnafichi (45)
19. James Marcello (IP, 64)
20. Louis Marino (IP, 74)
21. John Matassa, Jr. (56)
22. Lawrence Petitt (79)
23. Michael Sarno* (49)
24. Robert Salerno (IP, 72)
25. Michael Spano, Sr.* (IP, 66)
26. Michael Talarico (55)
27. Al Tornabene (84)
28. Angelo Volpe (85)

Again, I'm not arguing vociferously about the veracity of the above names, I'm just trying to pinpoint what the FBI thought at a particular time and place.
I understand that this list is what you think the FBI might have had as of September 2007 and are not vouching for the accuracy. With that in mind, Talarico might not merit being on the list since he testified in court against Frank Calabrese Sr in July of that year. I can see where the FBI could have had Marco D'Amico, Joseph DiFronzo and Larry Petitt; all I can say about them is that Mags was adamant that they weren't made. He did admit that he didn't really have any idea what Marco was doing after the early 2000s since he had no contact with him at that time, so he could have been made later. He believed Marco, after all that time, wouldn't have wanted it.

Regarding DiFronzo, after more conversations with different people, Fosco came to believe that he had an Accardo-like role after he put Johnny Apes in as boss, and he retained that role until around the early 2010s, when he started getting dementia. What his level of involvement was is up for grabs. Maybe minimal. I'm not saying I agree or don't agree, this is his belief. I'm agnostic on the subject.
I think Difronzo, like Fosco said, was in a advisor role since the 90s. When he gave up the top spot is the question but it sounds like it happened when he went away. I think that it was proven that he still has some type of authority until at least the Sarno indictment when it came out that Sarno was still sending money up to him. Now I always thought Monteleone was a street boss but it’s very possible that he was running the entire outfit. If Spano said that then his word is good enough for me lol. even though I think he was still leading the Chinatown crew, hence he ordered the murder of Jarrett when Jarrett wasn’t kicking up money or was complaining about not being given the spot. It’s hard to tell.

Now correct me if I’m wrong on this but wasn’t Talarico put as acting 26th st capo after Jimmy Lapietra died? If that’s the case then he would have to be made and he was very young at that time, in his 30s. I have no idea about D’Amico but the position he had, the money he brought in and the respect people gave him all the way up until his death would make me think it was almost impossible that he wasn’t made but I have no idea. Chicago obviously did stuff different then NYC and gave non-made guys very important positions in the Outfit.

Joe Difronzo could have easily been made because of the power his brothers had and is certainly not out of the question but he has never held a position of power as far as I know or even had a crew. Other than the marijuana bust, there is very little about him. Larry Pettit I am not very familiar with. He was a burglar I believe. Has there been any members or associates that claimed he was made?
That list is very similar to the one little Al put together on the old real deal. Someone correct me if I’m wrong but the way I recall was the fbi never identified their 28 members or whatever but little Al put together who he thought they would be based on various factors. A lot of people took that as gospel and while he did a great job there was a lot of guess work in it. As we mentioned now looking back I don’t think a lot of those people belonged but at the time it was well done based on what we had at that time
I agree with phat,I love those old fucks and he's right.we all got some cosa nostra in us.I personnely love the life.I think we on the forum would be the ultimate crew! - camerono
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Pete wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:58 pm

I remember a story I think from Frank jr that talarico said he was out and Ronnie Jarrett and I think shorty lamantia beat the shit out of him. The way he was discussed it didn’t seem to me he was made. Remember it came out shorty wasn’t made either. Of all the people that we know got made in the 3 ceremonies we know about those were all high ranking guys that had done a lot. Talarico didn’t seem to cut it. Rocco Lombardo either as antillar pointed out. Or joe difronzo for that matter. I know wiseguy and I went through this not that long ago and I can’t remember the exact number we came up with but it was under 15 made guys and probably closer to 10. And I think some have died since then. No doubt that family is on fumes within 10 years, maybe less they will be another Cleveland
I'm inclined to agree most of the names mentioned by everyone here, but I'm just trying to find out what the FBI knew, when they knew it, and what (possible) justification they may have had for that intel.

I always thought Talarico was a weird one. He was also reporting to Ronnie Jarrett while Frank Sr was imprisoned. I don't think a made guy would be subordinated to a non-made guy, but who knows. Like Antiliar said, I'd be interested in seeing source material for these guys who were presumably made. *Someone* had to think it so, otherwise they wouldn't have been included on these lists. As I mentioned earlier, maybe they had Nick C vet these lists, being that he was a cooperating made guy. We'd almost certainly know if guys like Talarico were made as Nick worked directly with him. Unless someone else is outed publicly as a cooperator, I'm not sure we will ever know what their reasoning is for including them.

I just find it all fascinating to dissect.
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

That Stevie from Cicero guy posted a one of the CCC entries for Harry Aleman on his page, first comment was Jimmy I's son saying,"That was my dad's parnter!". Lol found it fascinating to see someones kid proudly announce on fb his dad was the partner of a notorious hitman.
Coloboy
Straightened out

Post by Coloboy »

funkster wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:54 am That Stevie from Cicero guy posted a one of the CCC entries for Harry Aleman on his page, first comment was Jimmy I's son saying,"That was my dad's parnter!". Lol found it fascinating to see someones kid proudly announce on fb his dad was the partner of a notorious hitman.
I’ve shared a few anecdotes with you guys from my grandfather from elmwood park, who is still kicking it at 93. He was acquaintances with Lombardo, Difronzo, and many others. Not close by any means, but he grew up in and around that world. Here’s one of my favorites…

He’s known as a bit of a hothead, especially when he was younger. One time in the 70’s he was playing golf and got paired with some guys from the neighborhood that he did not know. Not surprisingly they were gambling, and at some point during the match had a disagreement on scoring. He got into a shouting match with one of the other members of the foursome and as you can imagine called him bunch of derogatory names etc.

After the round, one of his friends came up to him and said “do you know who that guy was you were yelling at?” “No” said my grandpa. “Well that’s Harry Aleman, one of the outfits main killers“

He always laughs out loud at that one. Just goes to show you that these guys weren’t just psychopathic killers walking around engaging in any vendetta. For the most part the violence was kept inside the Outfit circles.
SonnyC
Straightened out

Post by SonnyC »

He wasn't made, just a bookie. And Angelo's nephew. I knew his brother Al fairly well when I hung out at the ONIAC.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

SonnyC wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:31 am

He wasn't made, just a bookie. And Angelo's nephew. I knew his brother Al fairly well when I hung out at the ONIAC.
Either Talarico wasn't made or he wasn't taking orders from Ronnie Jarrett. For me, that sort of thing is diagnostic. Given that we do have info that he seems to have been taking orders from Ronnie, then no way was he a made guy.

Since you're from the neighborhood, do you remember any of the Bagnolas? Jimmy "Bags" Bagnola was a CPD cop who got pinched for cocaine possession and was represented by Al Talarico. I believe that his uncle was Joe Bagnola who was on the FBI 10 Most Wanted list back in the 50s for a murder in New Orleans with Tony "Pupi" Maenza.