Carlo Gambino´s rise

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Carlo Gambino´s rise

Post by B. »

Also says Frank Scalise married his first cousin and had a daughter who was deaf, mute, and mentally retarded:

https://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/arch ... elPageId=5
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

B. wrote:Reading here, it says that Paul Gambino's marriage to Catherine Castellano resulted in an "imbecile son" and a "moron daughter".
Also says Frank Scalise married his first cousin and had a daughter who was deaf, mute, and mentally retarded:

Ah the days before political correctness corrupted our language. :mrgreen:

Interesting that an informant had Frank Scalise as the Consiglieri and Salvatore Chriri as the UnderBoss. Also interesting that Anastasia went on a massive expansion campaign in the 50s and drastically increased the size of the family in comparison to the other families and that this is what led to him getting killed.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Pogo The Clown wrote:
B. wrote:Reading here, it says that Paul Gambino's marriage to Catherine Castellano resulted in an "imbecile son" and a "moron daughter".

Interesting that an informant had Frank Scalise as the Consiglieri and Salvatore Chriri as the UnderBoss. Also interesting that Anastasia went on a massive expansion campaign in the 50s and drastically increased the size of the family in comparison to the other families and that this is what led to him getting killed.

Pogo
There is also something about Chiri being the consigliere, though it says he has also been referred to as the underboss. The administration is incredibly confusing during Anastasia's run. Carlo Gambino, Frank Scalise, Salvatore Chiri, Nino Conte, and Joseph Biondo have all been listed as having positions.
Bruno187
Straightened out

Post by Bruno187 »

Pogo The Clown wrote:

Pogo

I was looking through some census forms from Europe at the beginning of the 20th century and they listed on the far right side 5 columns with the headings "Deaf, Dumb, Imbicile, Idiot, Moron". I sat there for a half an hour trying to figure out what the qualifications that differentiated an imbecile from an idiot from a moron. In the end I was wondering if I should check any for myself.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Bruno187 wrote:
Pogo The Clown wrote:

Pogo

I was looking through some census forms from Europe at the beginning of the 20th century and they listed on the far right side 5 columns with the headings "Deaf, Dumb, Imbicile, Idiot, Moron". I sat there for a half an hour trying to figure out what the qualifications that differentiated an imbecile from an idiot from a moron. In the end I was wondering if I should check any for myself.
Hahaha, I had the same thought when reading that he had an imbecile son and a moron daughter. "What the hell's the difference?"

I looked it up, and the difference is IQ.

People with an IQ of 51–70 were considered morons, 21–50 were considered imbeciles, and idiots were 0–20.
phatmatress
Straightened out

Post by phatmatress »

Why were these guys into marrying they're first cousins ? Like I'm sure they could have found some broad who wasn't related to them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

phatmatress wrote:Why were these guys into marrying they're first cousins ? Like I'm sure they could have found some broad who wasn't related to them!

Because the women will be faithful, loyal, unquestioning, and they were raised to understand the life in their own right. It was also a common practice in old Sicily, so it carried over here to a lesser extent. I'm not too familiar with it outside of the Gambinos, though. The Bonannos had some marrying of relatives but no first cousins that I can think of. If you notice, a significant number of Genovese members married not just total strangers but also non-Italians.
rayray
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by rayray »

I think the outfit members married quite a few non -Italians too, at least Accrdo's wife was Polish anyways. Thought quite a few adopted children? Unless I'm remembering wrong.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

B. wrote:
phatmatress wrote:Why were these guys into marrying they're first cousins ? Like I'm sure they could have found some broad who wasn't related to them!

Because the women will be faithful, loyal, unquestioning, and they were raised to understand the life in their own right. It was also a common practice in old Sicily, so it carried over here to a lesser extent. I'm not too familiar with it outside of the Gambinos, though. The Bonannos had some marrying of relatives but no first cousins that I can think of. If you notice, a significant number of Genovese members married not just total strangers but also non-Italians.
rayray wrote:I think the outfit members married quite a few non -Italians too, at least Accrdo's wife was Polish anyways. Thought quite a few adopted children? Unless I'm remembering wrong.
Yes, two good posts. Marrying someone related is, or pehaps was, a part of what Bonanno meant when he talked about tradition. A man willing to marry someone designated him by the father show obedience, loyalty and respect. In many ways, when it comes to these oldtimers, depending on whom they married, shows a measurement of how willing they were to follow tradition and conservative values. In that sense, Bonanno had a lot in common with Gambino.
There you have it, never printed before.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

It is much like old nobility and royalty. Tommy Gambino's marriage to Lucchese's daughter and Bill Bonanno's marriage to Profaci's niece had a lot to do with what I mentioned above, but also were a reflection of the strong alliances between those bosses. It gave them a unified front on the Commission.
rayray
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by rayray »

Not to mention Profaci's daughters marrying Tocco and Zerilli.
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

I always wondered how Carlo was actually looked at as he took power the only person from that time I remeber commenting was Joe bananas who talked down about Carlo calling him a flunky with no brains or ability I suspect this was because bananas was jealous of Carlos rise but he was a boss in his 20's when it took Carlo much longer to get that kinda position so I was never quite sure what to make or that. Why would he be jealous of someone who became boss 20 years after? Or maybe it was just a hatred because he became more powerful than bananas and had him ousted as boss? Anyone remeber what if anythng valachi said about Carlo?
I agree with phat,I love those old fucks and he's right.we all got some cosa nostra in us.I personnely love the life.I think we on the forum would be the ultimate crew! - camerono
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Pete wrote:I always wondered how Carlo was actually looked at as he took power the only person from that time I remeber commenting was Joe bananas who talked down about Carlo calling him a flunky with no brains or ability I suspect this was because bananas was jealous of Carlos rise but he was a boss in his 20's when it took Carlo much longer to get that kinda position so I was never quite sure what to make or that. Why would he be jealous of someone who became boss 20 years after? Or maybe it was just a hatred because he became more powerful than bananas and had him ousted as boss? Anyone remeber what if anythng valachi said about Carlo?
I think a lot of what is spread on these forums are poster´s erroneous conclusions about Bonanno. I´m not exactly sure where the basis of these conclusions originates from but Mafiawiki (as a source) may have a part in that. I remember having a debate with someone overthere when a poster claimed Bonanno was jelous of Lucky Luciano. The poster said it was easy to see the jelousy in the way Bonanno wrote about Luciano. But the thing is, there is nothing in A Man of Honor about Luciano but admiration and respect. So I wonder if posters like him, who draw these erroneous conclusions, actually read Bonanno.The same thing can not be said about Gambino though. However, Bonanno never called Gambino "a flunky with no brains or ability". He called him a squirrel of a man and in retrospect, he wasn´t that way off. Gambino was not a fighter and it doesn´t appear that he ruled in a supreme way, allowing a faction within his Family to call a lot of shots. Don´t get me wrong, I´m sure there was no respect and a lot of bad blood between them. Another thing that needs to be said about Gambino is, he was allowed to dictate policies as long as Lucchese was still alive. After Lucchese´s death, Gambino was all of a sudden willing to bring back Bonanno into the fold. This willingness resulted in negotiations. And in turn, these negotiations lead to Bonanno leaving New York. He wasn´t ousted by Gambino.
There you have it, never printed before.
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

HairyKnuckles wrote:
Pete wrote:I always wondered how Carlo was actually looked at as he took power the only person from that time I remeber commenting was Joe bananas who talked down about Carlo calling him a flunky with no brains or ability I suspect this was because bananas was jealous of Carlos rise but he was a boss in his 20's when it took Carlo much longer to get that kinda position so I was never quite sure what to make or that. Why would he be jealous of someone who became boss 20 years after? Or maybe it was just a hatred because he became more powerful than bananas and had him ousted as boss? Anyone remeber what if anythng valachi said about Carlo?
I think a lot of what is spread on these forums are poster´s erroneous conclusions about Bonanno. I´m not exactly sure where the basis of these conclusions originates from but Mafiawiki (as a source) may have a part in that. I remember having a debate with someone overthere when a poster claimed Bonanno was jelous of Lucky Luciano. The poster said it was easy to see the jelousy in the way Bonanno wrote about Luciano. But the thing is, there is nothing in A Man of Honor about Luciano but admiration and respect. So I wonder if posters like him, who draw these erroneous conclusions, actually read Bonanno.The same thing can not be said about Gambino though. However, Bonanno never called Gambino "a flunky with no brains or ability". He called him a squirrel of a man and in retrospect, he wasn´t that way off. Gambino was not a fighter and it doesn´t appear that he ruled in a supreme way, allowing a faction within his Family to call a lot of shots. Don´t get me wrong, I´m sure there was no respect and a lot of bad blood between them. Another thing that needs to be said about Gambino is, he was allowed to dictate policies as long as Lucchese was still alive. After Lucchese´s death, Gambino was all of a sudden willing to bring back Bonanno into the fold. This willingness resulted in negotiations. And in turn, these negotiations lead to Bonanno leaving New York. He wasn´t ousted by Gambino.
I don't know what your talking about but it's common knowledge bonanno was forced into retirement after trying to have numerous bosses killed including gambino and lucchese. Go back and read the book for his full opinion on Carlo he says how he was a gofer always screwing up and didn't know how he became a boss
I agree with phat,I love those old fucks and he's right.we all got some cosa nostra in us.I personnely love the life.I think we on the forum would be the ultimate crew! - camerono
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

They tried ousting him which resulted in the Banana War. After the Bonanno Faction essentially won the war Gambino and Magaddino backed off and Bonanno left on his own terms.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.