Is Pittsburgh alive?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Moscone65
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: Is Pittsburgh alive?

Post by Moscone65 »

aleksandrored wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:55 pm As others have said, Pittsburgh fits in with the same situation as Clevenland, Detroit, Kansas, and Buffalo (?), Families that even though they have active members, no longer have a family structure, they would just be gangs or groups that commit drug trafficking, extortion, gambling and loan sharking.
Pittsburgh and Cleveland are in the same boat more or less, I think Detroit buffalo and Kansas have much more of a chance of having a form of traditional structure than the former cities mentioned.
aleksandrored
Full Patched

Post by aleksandrored »

Moscone65 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:44 pm
aleksandrored wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:55 pm As others have said, Pittsburgh fits in with the same situation as Clevenland, Detroit, Kansas, and Buffalo (?), Families that even though they have active members, no longer have a family structure, they would just be gangs or groups that commit drug trafficking, extortion, gambling and loan sharking.
Pittsburgh and Cleveland are in the same boat more or less, I think Detroit buffalo and Kansas have much more of a chance of having a form of traditional structure than the former cities mentioned.
In terms of numbers, how many members do these cities have?
Grouchy Sinatra
Full Patched

Post by Grouchy Sinatra »

Looks like there's nothing for Pittsburgh in the Charts section. Maybe Pogo can get out of the politics thread for 5 seconds and make us a modern day Pittsburgh chart.
Glick told author Nicholas Pileggi that he expected to meet a banker-type individual, but instead, he found Alvin Baron to be a gruff, tough-talking cigar-chomping Teamster who greeted him with, “What the fuck do you want?”
Moscone65
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Moscone65 »

aleksandrored wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:31 pm
Moscone65 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:44 pm
In terms of numbers, how many members do these cities have?
KC atleast a dozen, maybe more. They had a lot of young associates, that supposedly some were made, in particular the ones in the 2010 bust. Mssg me if you want some names, detroit im not sure they are very quiet but probably a few dozen made guys there still, although how many are active i couldnt say. Buffalo is the big topic right now that everyone is scratching their heads about. If you ask some they will say a few geezers playing pinochle for spare change, while others will say 30+ guys. I think anywhere from 20-30+ guys.
aleksandrored
Full Patched

Post by aleksandrored »

I thought it was only about 5 or 6 members, so there must be some small rackets operating there. Buffalo is controversial, but I believe it is in the same situation, with remaining members operating without a family structure, if we are to think of a Buffalo revival, a KC or Detroit revival would not be improbable.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

johnny_scootch wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:40 amOh this is why!?! So you're the stupid question prevention squad, this forums very own neighborhood watch. I guess you'll have to argue even more strenuously then before because the 'Is this Defunct Family still alive' threads are still coming and clearly you don't want it to go there.
Better to be part of the solution than part of the problem.
Moscone65 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:19 amThe guy has an allergy to gossip, which this site mostly is, i dont get it. Still, from what i interpret, these small cities have loose knit cells mainly doing mainly some gambling, some loansharking, and maybe (only in some cases) backing some big drug shipments. Obviously they are not structured families with a boss, underboss, ect, there doesnt need to be. The guys doing this are guys with ties to the old organisations, but all thats left is small crews of guys doing criminal stuff. Sure they could start "making" new guys and doing all the position stuff but in their case it would just be cheesy and pointless because they are not needed to maintain order in a massive organisation. Simple as that. A traditional hierarchy is only needed when theres several dozen ambitious criminals and 100 or more associates to manage.
I'm allergic to bullshit, which gossip is 99% of the time.
Bklyn21 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:39 pmI wish I could find where i read it but supposedly years back maybe in the 90s and early 2000s it was said Genovese members moved in to consolidate and support remaining activity and union rackets including kicking up, Dont quote me on that because i cannot find or remember where i read it
You may be thinking of 1994 article where the head of the FBI in New York said, "If there is a major trend, it is the consolidation of power by the Genovese family." A 1996 article claimed the Genovese family had "maintained sophisticated construction and labor racketeering schemes as others dumbed down to drug dealing and street rackets."
Grouchy Sinatra wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:42 pm Whatever activity is left outside of NY and Chicago is probably run by guys from NY families, safe to say? With Chicago still holding down whatever they have left on their own turf. I don't think it's much in either case.
Outside of New York, there are a few small, weak families left in New Jersey, New England (mainly Boston at this point), Philadelphia, and Chicago. And the NY families still have a presence in South Florida but that does seem to be on the decline.
Bklyn21 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:45 pmLol...The states and Government literally took the mob to the cleaners and fleeced them of everything ! Sports gambling is legal in 42 states and somewhat legit in 8 others with every type of whacky bet the mob would never go for or think of, lotto , numbers, fish market , garment center etc etc.. All gone , your right, Drugs, Robbery, extortion , and a big one would be Medicaod medicare fraud which if the mob got into on a large scale they could easily make billions, hundreds of billions and on very quick time
It's still way too early to say what the effects will be on illegal sports betting.
aleksandrored wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:31 pmIn terms of numbers, how many members do these cities have?
Pittsburgh - 1 member

Cleveland - 4 members

Kansas City - 7 members (that can actually be shown to be made, i.e. not somebody on a forum saying they are)

Buffalo - 13 members
aleksandrored wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:30 pm I thought it was only about 5 or 6 members, so there must be some small rackets operating there. Buffalo is controversial, but I believe it is in the same situation, with remaining members operating without a family structure, if we are to think of a Buffalo revival, a KC or Detroit revival would not be improbable.
They're all improbable.
All roads lead to New York.
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

Grouchy Sinatra wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:55 pm Looks like there's nothing for Pittsburgh in the Charts section. Maybe Pogo can get out of the politics thread for 5 seconds and make us a modern day Pittsburgh chart.
I'll save Pogo the effort.

Administration:
1. Boss: N/A
2. Underboss: N/A
3. Consigliere: N/A

Capos:
N/A

Soldiers:
1. Thomas Ciancutti/89
I don't know dick about dick.

http://thecolombomafia.com
Grouchy Sinatra
Full Patched

Post by Grouchy Sinatra »

Thank you.
Glick told author Nicholas Pileggi that he expected to meet a banker-type individual, but instead, he found Alvin Baron to be a gruff, tough-talking cigar-chomping Teamster who greeted him with, “What the fuck do you want?”
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

Ivan wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:31 pm
Grouchy Sinatra wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:17 pm What gets me is how it seems some people actually wish the mob was still active in their region, like it would somehow improve their life.
Fucking EVERYBODY in Las Vegas does this. "This town was so much better when the mob ran things!"
I hear it from people who come back from living there, or returning from vacations. Same thing with other places. There must be truth to it.
Moscone65
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Moscone65 »

Wiseguy wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:57 pm
johnny_scootch wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:40 amOh this is why!?! So you're the stupid question prevention squad, this forums very own neighborhood watch. I guess you'll have to argue even more strenuously then before because the 'Is this Defunct Family still alive' threads are still coming and clearly you don't want it to go there.
Better to be part of the solution than part of the problem.
Moscone65 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:19 amThe guy has an allergy to gossip, which this site mostly is, i dont get it. Still, from what i interpret, these small cities have loose knit cells mainly doing mainly some gambling, some loansharking, and maybe (only in some cases) backing some big drug shipments. Obviously they are not structured families with a boss, underboss, ect, there doesnt need to be. The guys doing this are guys with ties to the old organisations, but all thats left is small crews of guys doing criminal stuff. Sure they could start "making" new guys and doing all the position stuff but in their case it would just be cheesy and pointless because they are not needed to maintain order in a massive organisation. Simple as that. A traditional hierarchy is only needed when theres several dozen ambitious criminals and 100 or more associates to manage.
I'm allergic to bullshit, which gossip is 99% of the time.
Bklyn21 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:39 pmI wish I could find where i read it but supposedly years back maybe in the 90s and early 2000s it was said Genovese members moved in to consolidate and support remaining activity and union rackets including kicking up, Dont quote me on that because i cannot find or remember where i read it
You may be thinking of 1994 article where the head of the FBI in New York said, "If there is a major trend, it is the consolidation of power by the Genovese family." A 1996 article claimed the Genovese family had "maintained sophisticated construction and labor racketeering schemes as others dumbed down to drug dealing and street rackets."
Grouchy Sinatra wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:42 pm Whatever activity is left outside of NY and Chicago is probably run by guys from NY families, safe to say? With Chicago still holding down whatever they have left on their own turf. I don't think it's much in either case.
Outside of New York, there are a few small, weak families left in New Jersey, New England (mainly Boston at this point), Philadelphia, and Chicago. And the NY families still have a presence in South Florida but that does seem to be on the decline.
Bklyn21 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:45 pmLol...The states and Government literally took the mob to the cleaners and fleeced them of everything ! Sports gambling is legal in 42 states and somewhat legit in 8 others with every type of whacky bet the mob would never go for or think of, lotto , numbers, fish market , garment center etc etc.. All gone , your right, Drugs, Robbery, extortion , and a big one would be Medicaod medicare fraud which if the mob got into on a large scale they could easily make billions, hundreds of billions and on very quick time
It's still way too early to say what the effects will be on illegal sports betting.
aleksandrored wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:31 pmIn terms of numbers, how many members do these cities have?
Pittsburgh - 1 member

Cleveland - 4 members

Kansas City - 7 members (that can actually be shown to be made, i.e. not somebody on a forum saying they are)

Buffalo - 13 members
aleksandrored wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:30 pm I thought it was only about 5 or 6 members, so there must be some small rackets operating there. Buffalo is controversial, but I believe it is in the same situation, with remaining members operating without a family structure, if we are to think of a Buffalo revival, a KC or Detroit revival would not be improbable.
They're all improbable.
Your like the grinch before Christmas, or scrooge
Moscone65
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Moscone65 »

Shown to be made huh, do they carry their made-certificates around with them too?
Moscone65
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Moscone65 »

Or do their parents have a bumper sticker saying “My son is cosa nostra” 🔫
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

bert wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:17 pm
Ivan wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:31 pm
Grouchy Sinatra wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:17 pm What gets me is how it seems some people actually wish the mob was still active in their region, like it would somehow improve their life.
Fucking EVERYBODY in Las Vegas does this. "This town was so much better when the mob ran things!"
I hear it from people who come back from living there, or returning from vacations. Same thing with other places. There must be truth to it.
It's pretty much the consensus there, so I think there might be something to it. I never set foot in the place before 2014 so I have no real reference point myself.
EYYYY ALL YOU CHOOCHES OUT THERE IT'S THE KID
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

Why would they want a structure at this point. If their earning and not having to kick up.
Moscone65
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Moscone65 »

Exactly