Bay Area (San Francisco, San Jose, Emeryville) Deep Dive

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Bay Area (San Francisco, San Jose, Emeryville) Deep Dive

Post by Pogo The Clown »

B. wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:40 pm I was actually hoping you'd weigh in since I don't remember many of those details from Fratianno's book. Didn't he say something about how he first brought Brooklier around the organization, though they were both associates? Maybe that's what Lima meant when he said Brooklier was Fratianno's "recruit".

Yes I believe that is correct. If I remember right Frattiano makes a reference to how he (Frattiano) got Brooklier away from Mickey Cohen during the Cohen-LCN war in the 1940s thus saving his life. This would have been during the part in the book when they had their big blow up after Brookliers release from prison. "Don't pull that Nick Licata shit on me" - Frattiano to Brooklier.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
matteogalante38
Associate

Post by matteogalante38 »

Oh my, I figured this post was nearly dead, but I realized that I do not have email notifications turned on! Sorry I missed all this, I shall catch up this evening. Thank you all. :)
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Antiliar wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:17 pm As for Lanza, he was associated with Schiro, so probably was a member of his group. The first boss who we are aware of is Rosario Meli, then there's a knowledge gap until Lanza.
One thing Lima said about Francesco Lanza is that during his time as boss he had "strong connections" to NYC. There is a redacted name whose family is said to have lived with Lanza family both in NYC and when they moved to California. Francesco Lanza ran a grocery store on Chrystie Street in the Lower East Side of Manhattan and sold real estate. When he arrived in the California Bay Area, Lanza invested heavily in real estate.

The FBI mentioned that the spelling used may have been "Pruetta" or "Proetta". Lima said he was once told by Francesco Lanza himself that they also used the name Proetta. Interesting how both the Lanzas and Falcones continued to use both the foundling names and their new names; curious if that was the norm for foundlings or if it was, as we'd expect, it was just a natural alias for them as secretive mafiosi. The name change was officially filed in Italy by Gioacchino Proetta, brother of Francesco, in June 1926. Jimmy Lanza vehemently denied any knowledge of the name Proetta when authorities confronted him with the info despite authorities having found records of the change in Italy.

Lima also said that both Jimmy Lanza's father and grandfather were "powerful people" in the mafia, which is why Jimmy essentially inherited membership "according to custom". So it looks like Francesco's father was a significant mafia member, maybe even a leader of some kind given how Lima referred to him and the fact that his son and grandson became bosses. An informant said that Francesco and his brother Gioacchino owned businesses together in Sicily but that Francesco was an honorable man and not involved in any trouble in Sicily.
--

More on the Lanzas:

- In July 1970, Lima was putting pressure on Lanza to step down as boss as he was seen as an incompetent boss, and Lima initially was looking to push underboss Bill Sciortino into the spot, but Sciortino didn't want it and asked Lima if he wanted the spot instead. Lima told the FBI that if Lanza stepped down, they would not have a boss until the Commission approved a new boss, and that Sciortino would be acting boss in the interim. Lima told the FBI that if the family didn't induct new members, they were at risk of dying out completely in ten years and said they had plenty of viable recruits but Lanza was afraid of holding new inductions.

- In August 1970, Lanza agreed to step down and named Lima as the new boss. Lanza asked Lima what steps he should take following this, and Lima told Lanza to send word to the rest of the SF family that Lima was the boss, but there would be no family meetings and the change would not be officially recognized, as protocol required them to send word to Stefano Magaddino, but due to problems Magaddino was having with the authorities he didn't know when this would take place.

- A week later, Lima had Sciortino contact Modesto-based capodecina Vincent Infusino and told him about the change in leadership and that Infusino would be demoted as captain, which Sciortino did. Lima also told Bill Sciortino he wanted to demote him as underboss and start with a fresh regime, which Sciortino agreed to. Both Lanza and Sciortino were said to be happy to step down. However, Lima was disgusted by Lanza, as Lanza wanted nothing to do with mafia activies as a soldier and Lima felt this was the behavior of a coward and not a mafioso. It was said that Lima's promotion to boss was accepted by virtually everyone. A report from over a year later in August 1971 describes Sciortino as underboss, though it's not clear if this was based on updated info or came from a source; however, he was referred to again as the underboss in early 1972 after a source had talked to Sciortino directly.

- SF soldiers the Maita brothers, Phil and Frank, were the only members Lima instructed were not to be told of the leadership change, as they were old and senile. However, a couple of months later Jimmy Lanza met with Phil Maita and said Maita was very alert and in good health despite being in his 80s, so we can presume he was told the news by then.

- Around the time Lima took over, Joe Piazza, an associate and potential proposed member of the San Jose family, expressed dissatisfaction with San Jose and was looking to transfer to San Francisco.

- During an interview with an FBI agent in late September 1970, Jimmy Lanza was fairly open about his relationships to various figures (this is where the Phil Maita visit is mentioned). He told the agent that Anthony Lima did not have a good reputation, as Lima had been in trouble with the law and had a reputation for violence.

--

In early 1971, the FBI interviewed several members of both the San Fran and San Jose families to ask them about Lima replacing Lanza as boss.

- One of these members, whose name is redacted, said he was told by Jimmy Lanza in San Francisco that Lima was going to induct ten new members and would not include the older members in this, and that they would also have nothing to do with activities moving forward. Lanza was apparently disturbed by this but did not want to be involved with the organization anyway. Lima would be building the San Francisco family with his own people, according to Lanza. This member also asked Lanza who his point of contact was on the east coast and Lanza said Stefano Magaddino, but that he no longer knew how to contact him. I assume the member who gave this interview with the FBI was one of the CIs given how candid they were about mafia activities.

- During one FBI interview with an unknown informant, the informant told the FBI that when Frank Garafolo was "boss" of the Bonanno family (i.e. underboss), he frequently came to San Francisco and was well-acquainted with the Lanzas. It is not mentioned by the source, but we know Garafolo had an olive oil business in the area so this makes sense. According to the informant, the Lanzas apparently tried to get Garafolo to marry their sister Grace but it never panned out. As Antiliar said, Francesco Lanza may have been a Schiro (Bonanno) member himself before SF, so this relationship with Garafolo is interesting.

--

- An informant who is not Lima but was said to have been close to top mafia figures (unsure if member) said that Frank "Cicciu" Lanza had been the boss of the mafia in SF, with Joe Piazza as his underboss, and that Vincenzo LaRocca was one of the most powerful mafia leaders in the area as well when he was alive. Apparently some people who owned a furniture store in North Beach were associates of both Cicciu Lanza and LaRocca. In another report, Lima says that LaRocca's sons were associates on record with Jimmy Lanza and implies they were candidates for membership but never made.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

So for SF in the early 1970s we have

Boss James Lanza
UnderBoss William Sciortino
Capo Vincenzo Infusino
Former Boss Anthony Lima
Soldiers Steve Trifiro, Frank Maita and Philip Maita

Any other IDed members? Was former Boss Michael Abati still alive by this time?

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:11 pm So for SF in the early 1970s we have

Boss James Lanza
UnderBoss William Sciortino
Capo Vincenzo Infusino
Former Boss Anthony Lima
Soldiers Steve Trifiro, Frank Maita and Philip Maita

Any other IDed members? Was former Boss Michael Abati still alive by this time?

Pogo
Abati was deported in 1961 and died the following year while living in Castellammare Del Golfo. It should be mentioned too that even though Infusino was a captain going back to the Abati regime, he never had any soldiers under him and the membership all reported direct to underboss Gaspare Sciortino.

Some other members:

Rosario "Robert" Garioto

Frank Genovese

Gregory Genovese

Salvatore Taranto (d.1971)

--

Frank LaRusso (?)

FNU Rocco (?)

Might have been a few more but I haven't seen them definitively ID'd but there def weren't many.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Great info B. Thanks. Do we have a similiar list for SJ for the early 1970s?

Boss Joseph Cerrito
UnderBoss Charles Carbone (Dead?)
Consigliere Steven Zoccoli
Capo Angelo Marino
Capo Emmanuel Figlia

Soldiers:
Dominick Anzalone
Sal Costanza
Peter Misuraca
Thomas Napolitano
Joseph Piazza
Anthony Scavuzzo
?-Salvatore Marino

Any other known members? They would have been a little larger than SF at this time.

Pogo
Ed
Straightened out

Post by Ed »

Pogo,

Here are some more SJ members:

Frank Buffa
Alex Camarata
Antonio Ditri
Donato "Dan" Ditri
Dominic Ferrito
Gerald "Joe" Gallo
Angelo Giammona
Nicolo "Nick" Guastella
Anthony Maggio
Phil Morici
Prospect "Bo" Mule
Frank "George Shipley" Sorce
Salvatore "Sam" Vassallo
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Great. Thanks. I have Morici dying in 1969. Is this incorrect?

Pogo
Ed
Straightened out

Post by Ed »

I got my data from a 1977 report from the California Department of Justice. The report indicates that he was 89 years old at the time. I hope it's accurate.
lennert
Straightened out

Post by lennert »

Morici died December 29, 1972, in Los Angeles. No idea whether he lived there during his later years, but it it was not unfamiliar ground to him. Before moving to San Jose, he resided in Los Angeles, and associated with the local mob there.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Thanks guys. 8-)

Pogo
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

I wonder at what point San Francisco ceased having much of a functional structure. They had a consigliere in 1929 and presumably into the early 30s. By 1960, they had a boss, underboss, and a captain with no crew. In contrast, the FBI had the San Jose family with a full administration, a senior council, and four captains. San Jose also had much stronger influence from fully-functional mafia organizations around the US, which no doubt was a factor.

- Morici is listed as a capodecina in a 1960 FBI report, while on a report from 1968 both he and Zoccoli are both listed as consigliere. From a recorded conversation of James Lanza discussing the San Jose family in the mid-1960s, he indicated Morici was a member of the SJ family's senior council (which other small US families had), which may explain the confusion, as council members were sort of like defacto consiglieri from what we know. Going by other families, it would be possible to have any rank from boss down to soldier and be on the council.

- Stefano Zoccoli's brother Phil may have been a member of influence as well. From the bugged conversation of James Lanza where he is discussing issues concerning Joe Cerrito and San Jose members not following proper protocol, he indicates both Zoccoli brothers have enough standing/influence together in the organization to set things right. It was in the context of this conversation where Morici and Steve Zoccoli were described as council members, so it's possible Phil Zoccoli was another council member though he was a soldier. Phil Zoccoli died in 1969.

- Steve Zoccoli was said by an informant to have had a leadership position of some kind in Pittsburgh before San Jose but no details were given. Both Zoccoli brothers lived in Midland, halfway between Pittsburgh and Youngstown, for decades. Underboss Charles Carbone and capodecina Salvatore Marino were both originally with Pittsburgh, along with some soldiers.

- I haven't seen it confirmed but I'd guess Stefano Cerrito was a member, and if so, probably one of influence. He was literate and had some degree of education, starting businesses soon after his arrival to the US. He was a fruit dealer, then a meat dealer in Manhattan before taking the family to Brooklyn. A few years after arriving into the US, he took his entire family for a visit to Villabate and was close with the Villabatesi in NYC, particularly the Profacis. Along with Sal J. Profaci (Joe's son) staying in California under the banner of the San Jose family, Joe Cerrito stayed with Salvatore Profaci Jr. (Joe's nephew) during at least one visit to NYC prior to a trip to Sicily. Joe Cerrito is similar to James Lanza in that he was a businessman with few if any gangster tendencies and I suspect Cerrito's rise in the organization was similar to Lanza in that it was more the product of tradition than cutthroat organized crime maneuvering, ala Anthony Lima. You can also see this in the way that both Cerrito and Lanza had complete meltdowns due to LE and media pressure. Fellow San Jose Villabatese and capodecina Manny Figilia was also reported to have been close to the Profacis when he lived in New York and I've seen some info on him that hinted at a mafia background in his family; I suspect that all of these men and their older relatives were members/associates of the Profaci family prior to San Jose. I doubt it's a coincidence that the Profaci family was San Jose's Commission representative, both before and after Joe Profaci's death, but whether that influence began after Profaci's paesani became prominent members or if his influence was the product of those paesani's membership would be interesting to know.

- James' brother Anthony Lanza is typically not carried as a member, but one informant described both brothers as members. Another informant simply said that Anthony Lanza was very religious and not involved like his brother, focusing on his insurance business. However, from a bugged conversation between the Lanza brothers, it suggests Anthony could be a member, as James discusses Cosa Nostra politics with him concerning Joe Bonanno and various US bosses and Anthony proves knowledgeable not only of various mafia figures but also the politics of the mafia. Of course it's possible that James was just comfortable speaking openly with his brother given their background.
Grouchy Sinatra
Full Patched

Post by Grouchy Sinatra »

I'm pretty sure they all just wanted to go into legitimate business. A lot of the California mafia guys owned vineyards, many getting in at the ground level after Prohibition. They just didn't see any need to live a life of crime.
Glick told author Nicholas Pileggi that he expected to meet a banker-type individual, but instead, he found Alvin Baron to be a gruff, tough-talking cigar-chomping Teamster who greeted him with, “What the fuck do you want?”
Geekgang666
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Geekgang666 »

Here is a new short video I created called: San Francisco Crime Family Bosses Timeline (1930s-1990s). If you want to watch the full video and are interested in seeing more of these types of videos please click on the link in my bio to view more of my content. And please don't forget to LIKE, COMMENT AND SUBSCRIBE to the channel!!! Enjoy. 😀

https://youtu.be/Sb3l8CMiRkA
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

B. wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:59 pm Alfonso Conetto was born in 1884 and appears to have been living or staying in Florida in the late 1910s during WWI, but was a resident of San Jose by 1920.

According to his WWII card, he was from "Allesandro, Italy" (sic). This may be a reference to Alessandro di Camporeale, Sicily.
"Allesandro" is actually a reference to Alessandria della Rocca in Agrigento. Along with Conetto living in Florida before San Jose, his son-in-law was named Frank Valenti and lived in Tampa prior to San Jose. The Tampa connection is a great clue that Connetto was from Allesandria della Rocca given that was the hometown of most Tampa mafia members. Connetto himself lived in West Tampa prior to San Jose.

The brother of Santo Trafficante Sr., Epifanio, also moved to the Bay Area, so that is another connection to Alessandria della Rocca and Tampa in the area.