Andrew Scoppa

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

motorfab
Full Patched

Re: Andrew Scoppa

Post by motorfab »

stubbs wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:11 pm Thanks for posting!

This was the most interesting part to me:
In December 2019 Le Journal de Montreal published an article about the “comeback” of the Sicilian clan, with Sollecito described as the new leader
- It is unclear whether Leonardo Rizzuto will attempt to follow the footsteps of his father
- The clan was observed meeting with the Hells Angels and “former Calabrian enemies”
- The clan can count on the support of bikers such as Salvatore Cazzetta, Mario Brouillette, and Martin Robert
I wonder if “former Calabrian enemies” means in Toronto or if that means the Violis? Dom Violi was talking about introducing the informant to his connections in Montreal, so I wonder if those old beefs have been squashed, especially with Nick Sr and Vito both dead.
They mean Montreal. For Canadian press, all the beef since 2004 is a feud between Calabrians & Sicilians, wich is obvisouly untrue. Since the 70s and the feud between Violi & Nick Rizzuto, the Canadian press has been blocked on it. What's funny is that not just the press, once in a documentary I saw an RCMP analyst testifying before the Charbonneau Commission who also thought it was a Calabrian & Sicilian thing :roll:
Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Post by Newyorkempire »

motorfab wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:37 am
CabriniGreen wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:08 amWho made Valiquette? WAS he made?
Nope because he wasn't of Italian origin, he was a Quebecer. However The Montreal mafia always had non-Italians high up in their hierarchy and considered them as full members like Desjardins, Fernandez, Gosselin Stepanoff, Côté, Goldstein and many others. But no chance that he was made

The mafia in Toronto? Is it the Caruana- Cuntreras? Ndrangheta? Scarcellas sicilian crew? Buffalo people? Hells Angels? Some combo of all of the above? Is this Toronto mafia, a separate entity from the Montreal mafia? If the Montreal mafia is a Bonnano decina, what the fuck is the Toronto mafia? A Bonnano decina we never heard of? A Buffalo decina? Do we believe that? Does that seem right? Is Toronto under Montreal? Or no?
The Cuntrera Caruana clan most likely died in 1998 with the arrest of Alfonso, Gerlando, Pasquale and Giuseppe Caruana. The rest of the family either ended up with the Rizzutos or carried on their own business. Giuseppe "Big Joe" Cuntrera for example was doing business with Giuseppe Coluccio of Marina di Gioiosa Ionica and active in Toronto.

Which makes me think that to my knowledge the only real Crime Family in Toronto is the 'ndrina called Siderno Group (which is actually made up of several clans). So in my very humble opinion, when you read Mafia in Toronto, that's who it is, because they are the main force there.

The Scarcella crew are very small compared to them. There are also a number of Sicilian mafiosi in Toronto like Michele Vinci , Ignazio Genua or Michele Modica (in Italy now, more precisely in prison for murder) who was on feud with Scarcella precisely, but I don't think they form a real Crime Family like the Siderno Group.

For Buffalo their main territory is Hamilton/Guelph/Burlington. They were present in Toronto during the Johnny Pops days, but I don't think they are today. The Bonannos had members in Toronto (thanks B. for the info) in the 60's but no idea who they were.

Loose contacts. Specifically Luppino/Todaro but its dwindling.
Theres been a lot of misconceptions over the years. Hell, just recently we realize the Siderno group JUST BECAME a Siderno Crimine. Before, it was also Marina Gioiosa people and others as well.
I'm not sure I understood that, can you specify please ? You mean a Locale ? In Canada or in Italy ?
"Dont leave me alone with your wife."
Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Post by Newyorkempire »

Falls/St. Catharines as well
Extortion
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Extortion »

SantoClaus wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:25 pm I think the ones in Southern Italy will forever be the strongest in the world, the international scope is immense IMO
You can’t make a statement like that and then say oh that’s my opinion it makes no sense
“In Italian, La Cosa Nostra is also known as ‘our headache.’” -Jerry Anguilo
nizarsoccer
Straightened out

Post by nizarsoccer »

While this thread is awesome, I guess my biggest disappointment is that he never really revealed who/which faction killed Nicolo Rizzuto. From the weird translation, it seemed like he was hinting that it was him, but then that idea got a bit of a pushback. Fascinating regardless, and I'll be getting that book shortly too.
OcSleeper
Full Patched

Post by OcSleeper »

When Cabrini posted that chapter I originally thought Scoppa implied he was him to but I misunderstood what was said. As others pointed out, he wasn't referring to himself but that it was for another thing.

I think all he really revealed about it was that the killer is still alive
mike68
Straightened out

Post by mike68 »

OcSleeper wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:15 am When Cabrini posted that chapter I originally thought Scoppa implied he was him to but I misunderstood what was said. As others pointed out, he wasn't referring to himself but that it was for another thing.

So maybe Desjardins then?
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

mike68 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:23 am
OcSleeper wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:15 am When Cabrini posted that chapter I originally thought Scoppa implied he was him to but I misunderstood what was said. As others pointed out, he wasn't referring to himself but that it was for another thing.

Not himself, but it clearly came from the Desjardins/Montagna faction. They they had hit several others like Agostino Cuntrera or Paolo Renda during this period
OcSleeper
Full Patched

Post by OcSleeper »

It seemed like Scoppa was talking specifically about the shooter being alive still. So I don't think Desjardins was the one he was referring to.

Here's what was shared
"Do I know who shot? Yes. Besides, this guy is still alive.
motorfab wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:10 am Not himself, but it clearly came from the Desjardins/Montagna faction. They they had hit several others like Agostino Cuntrera or Paolo Renda during this period
I think the Renda murder stands out. During this time all the murders were very public and out in the open. Macri killed driving down the road, Nick Jr killed outside his construction site, Nick Sr in his house, Cuntrera outside his business but then Renda gets kidnapped by men posing as police and just disappeared. The MO is totally different, I can't think of anyone kidnapped and then later appeared dead even. Then there was that article that claimed days before the Renda disappearance, police were warned that a move against a senior member of the Rizzutos is likely to happen. The order either came from New York or Buffalo and Toronto.

I always found that interesting how they worded that. It wasn't the threat came from New York or Buffalo or Toronto, it was New York or Buffalo AND Toronto. As in Buffalo and Toronto were a faction in the war separate to Montagna and Desjardins.

Another theory is police overheard a meeting/call between New York, Buffalo, and Toronto mobsters and it was clear a move against the Rizzutos was imminent but unclear which group would execute it.
Clark
Straightened out

Post by Clark »

I always thought the below article was incredibly interesting timing after the murder of Rizzuto Sr. Two days after the killing, an Ontario mobster is arrested shoplifting in Quebec. He has more than $3000 on him, but is trying to steal a handgun holster, an ammunition pouch for 12-gauge shotgun shells, a black balaclava, and a rubber car part that can be used as a silencer?

https://nationalpost.com/news/police-lo ... ire-tussle

He is DeMaria's cousin and the police have also publicly said that DeMaria's life is still under threat. Plus, we all know Giuseppe De Vito was a big part of the early attacks on the Rizzuto's and that he had been hiding out in Toronto. Makes you wonder who/what support there was from the GTA?
Clark
Straightened out

Post by Clark »

Another article that goes into Cortese, DeMaria, Calautti etc.

https://www.pressreader.com/canada/mont ... 0748858805

No opinion on it, but when it comes to the possible triggerman on the Rizzuto Sr hit, you have to wonder about the connection.
Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Post by Newyorkempire »

OcSleeper wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:42 am

It seemed like Scoppa was talking specifically about the shooter being alive still. So I don't think Desjardins was the one he was referring to.

Here's what was shared
"Do I know who shot? Yes. Besides, this guy is still alive.
motorfab wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:10 am Not himself, but it clearly came from the Desjardins/Montagna faction. They they had hit several others like Agostino Cuntrera or Paolo Renda during this period
I think the Renda murder stands out. During this time all the murders were very public and out in the open. Macri killed driving down the road, Nick Jr killed outside his construction site, Nick Sr in his house, Cuntrera outside his business but then Renda gets kidnapped by men posing as police and just disappeared. The MO is totally different, I can't think of anyone kidnapped and then later appeared dead even. Then there was that article that claimed days before the Renda disappearance, police were warned that a move against a senior member of the Rizzutos is likely to happen. The order either came from New York or Buffalo and Toronto.

I always found that interesting how they worded that. It wasn't the threat came from New York or Buffalo or Toronto, it was New York or Buffalo AND Toronto. As in Buffalo and Toronto were a faction in the war separate to Montagna and Desjardins.

Another theory is police overheard a meeting/call between New York, Buffalo, and Toronto mobsters and it was clear a move against the Rizzutos was imminent but unclear which group would execute it.
Any link to that article you mention? Ive never seen it and it adds even more proof to Buffalo existence if its true.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

I don't believe for a second that Toronto was involved in Renda's disappearence. At least not from the Siderno Group
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

I'm a little confused here. Did this call actually happen?
Or is it a theory that a call happened?
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

CabriniGreen wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:04 am

I'm a little confused here. Did this call actually happen?
Or is it a theory that a call happened?
If it comes from an article of Peter Edwards, probably not lol