Frank Cali shot dead

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

SconsinJohnson
Associate

Re: Frank cali shot dead

Post by SconsinJohnson »

'Nobody gets away with anything . Especially killing a good man" - Giovanni Gambino's comments on Cali murder.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

I wonder what the quality of the footage is. I'm sure many of the houses in that neighborhood have security systems (including cameras) but can they capture the features of someone on the street, especially at night? White with dark hair and dark clothes doesn't really narrow it down.
Strax
Straightened out

Post by Strax »

eboli wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:19 pm 12 shots with a 9mm doesn't sound like a professional job.
Exactly, to me it looks like a rage of some kind or something.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

It's cool to see all these theories about Cali's death. Cali also had ties and was brought up by Scars and Jackie the Nose. Cefalu was Jackie's Underboss. Jackie was known as a Gotti loyalist. I know they say Pete Gotti is still official boss in name only, but could he still have a say in who the acting boss and maybe other administration members are? I'm not saying he was going to name Gene as acting boss, but maybe they disrespected Gene or Cali disrespected Gene. I could see the Gottis doing something like this. Pete has nothing to lose and Gene seems like he is LCN down to the core. But that seems down near the bottom of the the list, but above Perisco having any tie in.
crazyjoegallo
Straightened out

Post by crazyjoegallo »

But Cali that was shot 6 times in the chest doesn't had bodyguards? Yes castellano had bilotti but was a internal coup so why was so easy to whack him?
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

He could have been jumping around, rolling on the ground, any number of different defensive maneuvers. Remember, that dope that tried to kill Zottola looked like he unloaded a whole clip and Zottola didn't die so 12 shots to ensure death, especially from a distance, isn't that crazy.

Spur of the moment killings generally don't use that many shots. Professional hits usually don't start with car accidents, either, so nothing about this is really adhering to any norms.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

crazyjoegallo wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:33 pm But Cali that was shot 6 times in the chest doesn't had bodyguards? Yes castellano had bilotti but was a internal coup so why was so easy to whack him?
These guys don't have bodyguards living with them at their houses, though. This was 9 o'clock at night and assuming this was unexpected, Cali walking to the front of his house to investigate someone crashing into his vehicle may not raise any immediate red flags. If it was expected (which would seem strange with the crash and all), it seems to me like Cali wouldn't walk down there unless he trusted the killer or trusted whoever sent the killer.
glen40
Associate

Post by glen40 »

Smashing a car definitely odd way of luring someone out the house. Seems like it would increase his odds of going outside w some protection. Who knows? Personally if someone smashes into my car I'm not gonna just casually stroll outside empty handed.
Lupara
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: Frank cali shot dead

Post by Lupara »

Snakes wrote:
JohnnyS wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:18 pm The way the guy in the press conference described it was like Cali was having a conversation with the individual like they knew each other. If it was just some random dude who smashed into his vehicle wouldn't they have described it more as a confrontation? And a random guy carrying a 9mm in that neighbourhood?
It's strange that a guy that knew him would set him up by hitting his vehicle, though. Have they actually specified whether or not the truck hit his car before or after the shooting? "Before" is the impression I've gotten so far.

Also, it seems strange that someone who intended on killing him would hold a conversation with him before deciding to kill him. That wouldn't seem as strange in a club or some other private facility but right out in the open, in front of his house no less? Seems like professional hitters would done it a little more quickly.
This is a method done quite often by mob hitmen. Stricking up a conversation so the victim is off-guard and perhaps also to draw as little attention as possible to the suroundings.
felice
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by felice »

So many people online...well maybe someone who he knew who came to face him being drunk
NJShore4Life
Full Patched

Post by NJShore4Life »

NYPD Press Conference on the Cali Hit:

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/video/4046 ... rank-cali/
chuckiephilly
Prospect

Post by chuckiephilly »

Smashing the car to get him outside doesn't really seem odd at all. It's definitely non-standard for a mob hit, but that's the idea, no? Cali was so cautious about who he met with, it might have been far harder to get him alone somewhere (especially if the people who did this weren't higher-ups in the Gambino family).

If you're home some random weeknight with your family, and someone smashes into your car outside, and your whole family hears it, you're gonna go outside. As soon as he opens the door, the driver starts apologizing, Cali is pissed and goes to check it out, and boom.

The whole thing seems well designed to catch him off guard. Everyone's commented how this is not standard for a hit in this era, maybe that's why Cali thought nothing of going outside. What's strange is that the cops said in the press conference that the truck actually backed up into Cali's SUV and rammed it with the tow hitch. Seems like a good way to ensure your truck is still functional for a getaway, but it's strange Cali wouldn't have noticed that once he got out there.

There's no way this was a road rage/drunk driving incident.
John W
Straightened out

Post by John W »

Look how close Cali’s house is to Paul Castellano’s
Snakes
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: Frank cali shot dead

Post by Snakes »

Lupara wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:42 pm
Snakes wrote:
JohnnyS wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:18 pm The way the guy in the press conference described it was like Cali was having a conversation with the individual like they knew each other. If it was just some random dude who smashed into his vehicle wouldn't they have described it more as a confrontation? And a random guy carrying a 9mm in that neighbourhood?
It's strange that a guy that knew him would set him up by hitting his vehicle, though. Have they actually specified whether or not the truck hit his car before or after the shooting? "Before" is the impression I've gotten so far.

Also, it seems strange that someone who intended on killing him would hold a conversation with him before deciding to kill him. That wouldn't seem as strange in a club or some other private facility but right out in the open, in front of his house no less? Seems like professional hitters would done it a little more quickly.
This is a method done quite often by mob hitmen. Stricking up a conversation so the victim is off-guard and perhaps also to draw as little attention as possible to the suroundings.
But in front of his own house? With dozens of potential witnesses around? Again, in a club or some other private location, sure, but not some place where any number of people could eyeball the killer. I'm not dismissing it as an LCN/professional hit, only the notion that the chain of events in this situation is normal when compared to other LCN/professional hits.
maninblack
On Record

Post by maninblack »

chuckiephilly wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:48 pm Smashing the car to get him outside doesn't really seem odd at all. It's definitely non-standard for a mob hit, but that's the idea, no? Cali was so cautious about who he met with, it might have been far harder to get him alone somewhere (especially if the people who did this weren't higher-ups in the Gambino family).

If you're home some random weeknight with your family, and someone smashes into your car outside, and your whole family hears it, you're gonna go outside. As soon as he opens the door, the driver starts apologizing, Cali is pissed and goes to check it out, and boom.

The whole thing seems well designed to catch him off guard. Everyone's commented how this is not standard for a hit in this era, maybe that's why Cali thought nothing of going outside. What's strange is that the cops said in the press conference that the truck actually backed up into Cali's SUV and rammed it with the tow hitch. Seems like a good way to ensure your truck is still functional for a getaway, but it's strange Cali wouldn't have noticed that once he got out there.

There's no way this was a road rage/drunk driving incident.
Yeah and Todt HIll is a secluded area.. Why would some drunk randomly be back in that nice neighborhood and randomly back up into his car.. Was said that Capos weren't allowed to contact him over the phone so I think this way the only way they figured they could lure him out since he was so cautious