Arrests in NY, induction ceremony taped

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

antimafia
Full Patched

Re: Arrests in NY, induction ceremony taped

Post by antimafia »

Giuseppe Violi has been sentenced. Domenico Violi's trial has not yet begun.

"Son of murdered mob boss sentenced to 16 years in prison for drug trafficking"

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/0 ... cking.html
Laurentian
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Laurentian »

Here is another article written by Daniel Renaud, from La Presse, on the sentencing of Giuseppe Violi.

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/justi ... encier.php
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

^^^^
"Drug trafficker given 16 years in prison despite glowing references"

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/ ... references
Lupara
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: Arrests in NY, induction ceremony taped

Post by Lupara »

Laurentian wrote:Here is another article written by Daniel Renaud, from La Presse, on the sentencing of Giuseppe Violi.

Interesting info of the Bonannos doing business with the Violis. Could be revealing about the interactions during the take-over attempt in 2010.

Also interested who this "officer" is. Clearly not the same guy that was inducted into the Bonannos in Canada, who was NOT an officer but a longtime Bonanno associate who turned states.

johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

Translation of La Presse article

A Vatican priest, charity leaders and family members may have had good words for Giuseppe Violi, but that did not stop a judge from condemning the second son of the late godfather of Montreal's mafia Paolo Violi, a 16-year-old penitentiary for drug trafficking, today in Milton, Ontario.

Just before receiving his sentence, the 47-year-old man kissed the youngest of his four children, born last Sunday, just a few days old. He smiled tenderly at her before taking the path to the cells.

Giuseppe Violi, his brother, Domenico and others were arrested last November following a three-year investigation called Otremens conducted by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. During the investigation, an officer, whom the police had infiltrated in the Bonanno clan of the New York Mafia, did business with Giuseppe Violi, according to a summary of the facts filed in court. Through this agent, Violi conspired to import between 200 and 300 kilos of cocaine into Canada, and trafficked a kilo of cocaine and more than two kilograms of fentanyl, an opioid 40 times more powerful than heroin ravages in western Canada and the United States. What greatly affected Violi was that the agent sent him or his henchmen to meet other individuals who pretended to be his associates, but who were actually double agents of the police. Violi also sent compromising encrypted text messages on PGP devices that were scrupulously intercepted and kept by the police.

Violi pleaded guilty to four counts of conspiracy and trafficking in cocaine and fentanyl, and was sentenced to 16 years of penitentiary by Judge RJ LeDressay of the Milton Court, near Toronto, despite filing a dozen letters support.

"Not a bad person"

A priest, Francesco Cucchi, who describes himself as an art historian at St Peter's Basilica in Rome and a member of the Order of Malta, wrote of having known the Violi family during a trip to Canada in 2015 and to have often rubbed shoulders after settling in Hamilton a year ago. He described Giuseppe Violi as a funny and patient person who gave him driving lessons aboard his SUV. "He told me many times that he could be a better Catholic because he rarely goes to Mass, but he asked me to baptize his son. I know that the Violi family has a bad past, but I seem to be a good person, maybe a little too extroverted, but not bad, "says the priest.

A paramedic, Mario Posteraro, wrote that Giuseppe Violi never said no when it was time to donate money to the Heart Foundation or the Canadian Autism Foundation.

His sister, Nancy Violi, recalled that their father died when they were young, and that Giuseppe and his older brother, Domenico - still accused in this case - supported the family and became father figures. She pointed out that Giuseppe and his family are harboring their mother, Grazia.

She quickly left Montreal to return to her family in Hamilton after the February 1978 murder of her husband, Paolo Violi, a victim of the nascent Rizzuto coup that sought to take over the management of the Montreal Mafia.

Giuseppe Violi has four children, all under the age of four. Officially, he runs an industrial laundry.

- With Peter Edwards from the Toronto Star
antimafia
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: Arrests in NY, induction ceremony taped

Post by antimafia »

Lupara wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:52 am
Laurentian wrote:Here is another article written by Daniel Renaud, from La Presse, on the sentencing of Giuseppe Violi.

Interesting info of the Bonannos doing business with the Violis. Could be revealing about the interactions during the take-over attempt in 2010.

Also interested who this "officer" is. Clearly not the same guy that was inducted into the Bonannos in Canada, who was NOT an officer but a longtime Bonanno associate who turned states.
The undercover officer in Vancouver was representing himself as an associate of the person inducted into the Bonannos in Canada. Jerry Capeci has identified Vincenzo Morena as being the person who was inducted--Morena, who had become a police agent, was not the undercover police officer; they are not one and the same.

We don't have any evidence of induction ceremonies for Domenico and Giuseppe Violi; there is just this assumption that Paolo Violi's sons were made into the 'ndrangheta. Because there were made Bonannos who were on board with supplanting the Rizzutos, such as Giuseppe Renda, you wonder whether Renda, who was sent by Montreal to live in Toronto in the early 2000s to be part of an extensive gambling ring, might have had early contact with Domenico and Giuseppe back then--if not Renda, then perhaps the two individuals sent to Hamilton by the Rizzuto organization in relation to the same ring.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who wonders whether Domenico and Giuseppe Violi are not 'ndrangheta members but were instead made into either the Buffalo Family or Bonanno Family.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Question, is there a ceremony necessary for an introduction to an ndrangheta ndrine?

I was under the impression that being a blood relative/Violis, plus Luppinos grandson would be enough, as that's a family based organization. Is this wrong?
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

It's a question I asked on the BB, are these guys ndrangheta leaders of an ndrine, Buffalo members ers, or Bonnanos members?

Which do you believe?
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Thing is, you say Buffalo and people looking at you like you just lost any credibility.

I asked does Ontario still answer to Buffalo, or is it the other way around now?
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

antimafia wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:08 pmI'm sure I'm not the only one who wonders whether Domenico and Giuseppe Violi are not 'ndrangheta members but were instead made into either the Buffalo Family or Bonanno Family.
Since members of the Todaro crime family were said to be involved, they always seemed like the most likely of those charged.
CabriniGreen wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:13 pm Thing is, you say Buffalo and people looking at you like you just lost any credibility.

I asked does Ontario still answer to Buffalo, or is it the other way around now?
People only lose credibility when, like some posters on GBB who use made up conversations with drunk cops as their source, they try and argue there is a formally structured, viable family in Buffalo when the Feds say otherwise.

Some Buffalo members involved in that recent drug case is really no different than when members of the New Orleans family were involved in that video gambling case in the 1990s.
All roads lead to New York.
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

@CabriniGreen @Wiseguy I'll try to answer in due course. I want to find out from a journalist whether information that came up during Giuseppe Violi's sentencing--I'm not even sure there was a multi-day trial--is protected under a publication ban.
Lupara
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Arrests in NY, induction ceremony taped

Post by Lupara »

antimafia wrote:The undercover officer in Vancouver was representing himself as an associate of the person inducted into the Bonannos in Canada. Jerry Capeci has identified Vincenzo Morena as being the person who was inducted--Morena, who had become a police agent, was not the undercover police officer; they are not one and the same.
Thanks for clearing that up. But what I don't understand is how an inducted Mafia member can become a police "agent", or is that just a way to describe a CI who wears a wire?
I'm sure I'm not the only one who wonders whether Domenico and Giuseppe Violi are not 'ndrangheta members but were instead made into either the Buffalo Family or Bonanno Family.
Same thoughts.
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

^^^^
Morena was not inducted before becoming a police agent. That is, he was still an associate at the time he became a police agent

The following information from a Public Prosecution Service of Canada webpage helps distinguish between informers and police agents (the PPSC is a Canadian government organization):

8 a)

Distinguishing Agents from Informers

One of the most difficult problems in this area is determining when the privilege applies to the actions of persons cooperating with the police. Informer privilege does not apply when the information-provider is characterized as a “police agent” or “agent provocateur,” rather than an “informer.”

A helpful explanation of the distinction between informers and agents is found in the Ontario Court of Appeal’s decision in R v Babes^39

In general terms, the distinction between an informer and an agent is that an informer merely furnishes information to the police and an agent acts on the direction of the police and goes “into the field” to participate in the illegal transaction in some way. The identity of an informer is protected by a strong privilege and, accordingly, is not disclosable, subject to the innocence at stake exception. The identity of an agent is disclosable.

Generally speaking, passive observers to criminal activities will be considered informers. In contrast, individuals who participate in the criminal activities under investigation as a result of being directed by the police will generally be considered police agents or agents provocateurs. A person may have dual status as a confidential informer and police agent in relation to separate investigations or targets.^40
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

^^^^
I forgot to provide the link for the excerpt above. Go to http://www.ppsc-sppc.gc.ca/eng/pub/fpsd ... #section_8.
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

so by him introducing the undercover guy he became a police agent and not just a informer.
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.