General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Snakes
Full Patched

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by Snakes »

Thanks to Scott D, I can fill in a few names from the 1993 list:

*=estimated name

Aiuppa, Joseph
Andriacchi, Joseph* (although I think the name on the 1993 list may actually be Vic Arrigo)
Bastone, Salvatore
Bellavia, Robert*
Calabrese, Frank
Carlisi, Samuel
Caruso, Frank
Centracchio, Anthony
Cerone, James
Cerone, John
Chiaramonte, Anthony
Cirignani, Anthony
Cozzo, Sam (dead by 1993)
[redacted; maybe Vincent James Cozzo, although James was his first name, which should put him before Sam but they could have reversed it]
D'Arco, John
DeLaurentis, Salvatore*
DeRiggi, Louis
DiForti, James
DiFronzo, John*
Giovenco, August
Grieco, Joseph
Gulotta, Sebastian (Rockford)
Infelise, Rocco
LaMantia, Joseph
LaPietra, Angelo
Lombardo, Joseph
Marcello, James*
Marino, Louis*
Matassa, John*
[redacted; still unknown]
Messino, William
Monteleone, John
Nappi, Romeo
Palermo, Dominick
Petit, Lawrence
Pilotto, Alfred
Ponto, Phillip
Roti, Fred
Spadavecchio, Joseph
[redacted; still unknown. Maybe Vito Spillone]
Tocco, Albert
Vince, Charles (Rockford)
Volpe, Angelo
Zammuto, Joseph (Rockford)
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Snakes wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:28 pm Thanks to Scott D, I can fill in a few names from the 1993 list:

*=estimated name

Aiuppa, Joseph
Andriacchi, Joseph* (although I think the name on the 1993 list may actually be Vic Arrigo)
Bastone, Salvatore
Bellavia, Robert*
Calabrese, Frank
Carlisi, Samuel
Caruso, Frank
Centracchio, Anthony
Cerone, James
Cerone, John
Chiaramonte, Anthony
Cirignani, Anthony
Cozzo, Sam (dead by 1993)
[redacted; maybe Vincent James Cozzo, although James was his first name, which should put him before Sam but they could have reversed it]
D'Arco, John
DeLaurentis, Salvatore*
DeRiggi, Louis
DiForti, James
DiFronzo, John*
Giovenco, August
Grieco, Joseph
Gulotta, Sebastian (Rockford)
Infelise, Rocco
LaMantia, Joseph
LaPietra, Angelo
Lombardo, Joseph
Marcello, James*
Marino, Louis*
Matassa, John*
Messino, William
Monteleone, John
Nappi, Romeo
Palermo, Dominick
Petit, Lawrence
Pilotto, Alfred
Ponto, Phillip
Roti, Fred
Spadavecchio, Joseph
[redacted; still unknown. Maybe Vito Spillone]
Tocco, Albert
Vince, Charles (Rockford)
Volpe, Angelo
Zammuto, Joseph (Rockford)
Great work here.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Maybe this was posted on the forum before. Interesting article from the Tribune in 1959 linking Frank Borelli to the Northside crew.

Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

Saw this article posted on the Facebook Old and Current Outfit articles page. Talks about two cops that were working for Bobby Dominic. Interesting article. Talks about how the cops were suspected of ripping off some drug dealer for one million. This was in the mid 90s. I’m sure Dominic got a piece of it. Sounds like ripping off drug dealers has been an Outfit staple for the past 30 years
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

I was just made aware that Mike Posner's son Wally owns the Chicago Super Pawn in Logan Square on Fullerton. Gotta wonder why these guys are all invested in pawnshops - seems obvious for fencing, but there has to be more there.

I was just doing some Googling and came across the pawnshop in a divorce filing naming Flo Posner, who is Mike's wife.
https://casetext.com/case/in-re-marriage-of-posner

Walter did not have what might be considered a typical employment relationship with the pawnshop. For example, the pawnshop gave Walter money to make his car payments, although he testified that this was a loan that he never repaid. When asked at trial if he ever "put any money into the pawnshop personally," Walter responded that he loaned the pawnshop $10,000. He acknowledged that there was no documentation for this loan, that he never sought reimbursement from Florence, and that Florence's total assets were greater than his. Moreover, Walter used his personal credit card to make online purchases when the pawnshop's card was overdrawn. As of the time of trial, he had not been reimbursed entirely for those expenses, and he did not know how much he was owed. ¶ 10 Florence testified that she owned the pawnshop. However, she knew very little about the details of her acquisition of the pawnshop. The evidence showed that Walter was responsible for the pawnshop's day-to-day operations and that Florence had little involvement. Florence claimed that her husband consulted with Walter daily about the pawnshop's operations. ¶ 11 In a "supplemental judgment for dissolution of marriage" (JDOM) that was entered on September 11, 2018, the trial court found that Walter engaged in "a calculated move to deprive Elisa of any interest" in the pawnshop.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Antiliar wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:06 pm From the Bonannos and FBI files we know that after Capone it was Ricca who sat on the Commission, followed by Accardo and Giancana. However the time that Ricca came to New York with Giancana for a Commission meeting it was understood that he was the real boss. At that time, in the early to mid-1960s, Ricca and Magaddino were the only two bosses left who were founding members of the Commission.
This is in the membership thread, but I didn't want to go too far off-topic with my reply so I'm doing it here. Was Capone not the founding Chicago Commission member? Or did his arrest and subsequent trial prevent him from participating in any of those early meetings, effectively making Ricca the first rep?
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Snakes wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:51 am
Antiliar wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:06 pm From the Bonannos and FBI files we know that after Capone it was Ricca who sat on the Commission, followed by Accardo and Giancana. However the time that Ricca came to New York with Giancana for a Commission meeting it was understood that he was the real boss. At that time, in the early to mid-1960s, Ricca and Magaddino were the only two bosses left who were founding members of the Commission.
This is in the membership thread, but I didn't want to go too far off-topic with my reply so I'm doing it here. Was Capone not the founding Chicago Commission member? Or did his arrest and subsequent trial prevent him from participating in any of those early meetings, effectively making Ricca the first rep?
According to the Bonannos and maybe Nick Gentile, Capone was the first Chicago member to sit on the Commission. I think his time was only a matter of months in 1931 before Ricca replaced him. Bill Bonanno wrote, "Before the year 1931 was over, there was one final Commission meeting, held in Chicago. By that time, the Commission had grown to include seven members. At this meeting, the Commission added another Sicilian, my father's cousin Stefano Magaddino, as the leader of the Buffalo family, and Al Capone, the first Neapolitan in the group, as leader of the Chicago Family. When Capone was indicted later that year for income-tax evasion, the Chicago Family replaced him with Paul Ricca, who took Capone's place on the Commission."
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

For those who don't have it, I highly recommend this article, "The Formation of Chicago's 'Little Italies'", by Rudolph J. Vecoli:

https://www.jstor.org/stable/27500267
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

From the way it reads the Commission was originally just the NY 5. Then later in the year Chicago and Buffalo were added. Interesting.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Not sure why I earlier thought otherwise, but Sam "Jelly" Cozzo didn't die until 1997.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

A couple of snippets on Vito Marzullo, his LCN membership, and his association with the Outfit:

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:09 pm For those who don't have it, I highly recommend this article, "The Formation of Chicago's 'Little Italies'", by Rudolph J. Vecoli:

https://www.jstor.org/stable/27500267
+1. Excellent book and critical to understanding the settlement and development of the communities within which the Outfit formed.
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

SolarSolano wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:10 am I was just made aware that Mike Posner's son Wally owns the Chicago Super Pawn in Logan Square on Fullerton. Gotta wonder why these guys are all invested in pawnshops - seems obvious for fencing, but there has to be more there.

I was just doing some Googling and came across the pawnshop in a divorce filing naming Flo Posner, who is Mike's wife.
https://casetext.com/case/in-re-marriage-of-posner

Walter did not have what might be considered a typical employment relationship with the pawnshop. For example, the pawnshop gave Walter money to make his car payments, although he testified that this was a loan that he never repaid. When asked at trial if he ever "put any money into the pawnshop personally," Walter responded that he loaned the pawnshop $10,000. He acknowledged that there was no documentation for this loan, that he never sought reimbursement from Florence, and that Florence's total assets were greater than his. Moreover, Walter used his personal credit card to make online purchases when the pawnshop's card was overdrawn. As of the time of trial, he had not been reimbursed entirely for those expenses, and he did not know how much he was owed. ¶ 10 Florence testified that she owned the pawnshop. However, she knew very little about the details of her acquisition of the pawnshop. The evidence showed that Walter was responsible for the pawnshop's day-to-day operations and that Florence had little involvement. Florence claimed that her husband consulted with Walter daily about the pawnshop's operations. ¶ 11 In a "supplemental judgment for dissolution of marriage" (JDOM) that was entered on September 11, 2018, the trial court found that Walter engaged in "a calculated move to deprive Elisa of any interest" in the pawnshop.
Good find. How old is he? 40s?
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Snakes wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:41 pm A couple of snippets on Vito Marzullo, his LCN membership, and his association with the Outfit:

I believe that the second quote was from Pranno himself (per Ed).

https://mediaburn.org/lesson-plans/vito ... l-machine/

This is a great documentary that was done on Marzullo, who was from Senerchia, Avellino. The video captures the transactional nature of Chicago machine politics well, by showing Marzullo holding court in his office while a stream of supplicants come to curry favor and ask for him to make things happen (including a couple of gangbangers that seem to have tried to hustle him for money for a community project). Under the longstanding tradition of “aldermanic privilege”, aldermen ruled their wards like personal fiefdoms under the broader aegis of the city/county Democratic machine. They were granted the right to approve/deny zoning changes, construction and infrastructure projects in their wards, etc. It also shows the way that the Chicago city council served less as a legislative body then a bullpen for wheeling and dealing between alderman, who exchanged favors, formed factions and coalitions, and used their clout to insert their friends/family and those who they wanted beholden to them in key positions. A basic understanding of Chicago machine politics — at the ward and city level — are needed to grasp how ripe such a system was for interpenetration with the mafia, and how valuable members as alderman were to the family.

Fred Roti also makes appearances around 18:04 and then again later on the floor of the city council with Marzullo. The importance of the Marcy/Roti (and D’Arco prior) 1st Ward operation to the Outfit cannot be overstated. Roti’s “personal fiefdom” encompassed city hall itself and thus the vast city services departments (with armies of patronage jobs) and the largest business/corporate office/finance complex outside of Manhattan (the Loop). If you wanted to build a skyscraper, Marcy and Roti had to approve and take their cut which then went to the admin. In terms of objective political power and clout, Roti as 1st ward alderman was second only to the mayor of Chicago
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Some more information on the members from the 1985 list. I included ages, their legal status (UI/under indictment, IP/imprisoned) and their date of death.

No names from the list are still alive today.

Lawrence Petitt (who may not actually be a member) was the last to die, in 2020.

Others who died within the past ten years: Lombardo (2019), Volpe (2016), Grieco (2013), and Calabrese (2012).

The average age of those listed was 64.4.

Boss Joseph Aiuppa (77) (UI) (d. 1997)
Underboss John Cerone (70) (UI) (d. 1996)
Consigliere Anthony Accardo (79) (d. 1992)

Capo Joseph Ferriola (58) (d. 1989)
Capo Angelo LaPietra (64) (UI) (d. 1999)
Capo Joseph Lombardo (56) (IP) (d. 2019) *died in prison*
Capo Alfred Pilotto (74) (IP) (d. 1999)
Capo Vincent Solano (65) (d. 1992)

Soldier Donald Angelini (58) (d. 2000)
Soldier Salvatore Bastone (49) (d. 1998)
Soldier Dominic Blasi (73) (d. 1993)
Soldier Frank Calabrese (51) (d. 2012) *died in prison*
Soldier James Cerone (65) (d. 1997)
Soldier Anthony Cirignani (57) (d. 2003)
Soldier Dominic Cortina (60) (d. 1999)
Soldier Sam Cozzo (69) (d. 1997)
Soldier John D'Arco (73) (d. 1994)
Soldier Ronald DeAngeles (51) (d. 1987)
Soldier Louis DeRiggi (60) (d. 2007)
Soldier Joseph DiVarco (73) (IP) (d. 1986) *died in prison*
Soldier Louis Eboli (49) (d. 1987)
Soldier John Fecarotta (57) (d. 1986) *murdered*
Soldier August Giovenco (75) (d. 1998)
Soldier Joseph Grieco (57) (IP) (d. 2013)
Soldier Ernest Infelise (61) (d. 2005) *died in prison*
Soldier Vincent Inserro (74) (d. 1989)
Soldier James LaPietra (57) (d. 1993)
Soldier John Lardino (78) (d. 1987)
Soldier Pat Marcy (71) (d. 1993)
Soldier Vito Marzullo (87) (d. 1990)
Soldier William Messino (68) (d. 2002)
Soldier Romeo Nappi (65) (d. 2001)
Soldier Anthony Ortenzi (64) (d. 1986)
Soldier Dominick Palermo (67) (d. 2005) *died in prison*
Soldier Lawrence Petitt (54) (d. 2020)
Soldier Phillip Ponto (78) (d. 1999)
Soldier Dominic Senese (68) (d. 1992)
Soldier Joseph Spadavecchio (57) (d. 1995)
Soldier Anthony Spilotro (47) (UI) (d. 1986) *murdered*
Soldier John Varelli (60) (d. 1985)
Soldier Angelo Volpe (63) (d. 2016)