General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Villain
Filthy Few

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by Villain »

Frank wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:45 am
Snakes wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:30 am
Frank wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:56 am If informant is accurate about this committee, I wonder if it was in place in previous administrations or just in the Giancana era. It does seem that it was not used in the 70s
The Outfit was a lot smaller then, too. You could almost consider Accardo, Aiuppa, and Cerone the Committee equivalent during this time period, though.
Yes your right. Alot of top leaders died in early 70s. I would guess Prio was on the committee, seeing that Giancana didnt want Prio to know about the hit in Florida.
Cerone was on the job too i think and Prio nixed it because he resided in the same area at the time as the target
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Ive also seen some info that during the early 60s Battaglia also had juridiction over EP which means that Cerone was possibly subordinate to him....
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Ed
Straightened out

Post by Ed »

Snakes wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:38 am The informant was involved in narcotics, numbers/policy, and bookmaking on the South Side and apparently had familial connections with a made guy from New York now residing in the Houston area. The informant also admitted to being told to "stay away" from his old associates in Chicago as he had recent arrests for narcotics, which made the FBI uncertain of how he would be used as an informant going forward. As I mentioned earlier, the information presented by the informant made it appear as if he was made although there are no details about when or how this person was made but these were probably redacted to protect the identity of the informant.
I'm finishing up an article on this CI...will have it out shortly. best regards, Ed
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

It is quite interesting that the informant labelled Louie Briatta as non-member which for me personally is mind blowing since this guy was one of the Outfits main players during a certain time period, and i always thought that he was at least some type of influential soldier or some type of crew boss, but far from being a capo.

Although ive seen numerous examples in which one Chicago member wasnt aware regarding the membership of another guy from a different crew. For example the Fusco and Costello situation in which the latter wasnt aware about Fuscos membership besides being one of the most famous Capone members for at least several decades previously.

Besides that, heres some additional info on Briatta...

- Briatta's area was the Loop and First Ward with his headquarters, a barber shop, located at 1074 West Polk Street and his apartment was located just above the shop. He was often visited by his own three brothers and criminal associates Joe, Mike and Tom Briatta. Tom and Mike operated a tavern in the vicinity of Taylor and Halsted Street and also liquor store known as the Rush Liquors on Rush Street and Joe was very close to Pat Marcy.

- Briatta was the main “messenger” between the Outfits underboss Frank Ferraro and First Ward representative John D’Arco

- Briatta was the brother-in-law of Alderman D’Arco and was also related to Mayor Daley. In fact, Daley’s son was the husband of Briatta’s daughter Mary (there are several photos of the wedding with Briatta on them)

- Because of their connections to Alderman D’Arco, all of the Briatta brothers were on the city’s payroll in high paying jobs but never showed up. For example every month, Louie received $684 for 22 days of work, Mike received $705, Tom received $646 and for Joe $500.

- Briatta and D'Arco also made a handsome profit on the sale of lands and real estate. Briatta was also one of the few Outfit members that used to hang around at the Celano Tailoring Shop with top bosses like Paul Ricca and Tony Accardo.

- Briatta’s job was to watch for bookmakers who tried to cheat the Outfit by reporting only the loosing bets, thus the Outfit was in the position of sharing only their losses, not winnings. Briatta and the Outfit used methods of securing a number of legally obtained telephones for the operations. One method was to go to a slum area and contact the owner and number of tenants in an apartment building and arrange to pay for the telephone bills of the persons contacted. Then they ran extensions off these phones to one room in the building which was the headquarters for the handbook operation. The persons in whose names the phones were listed were not allowed to use their phones between 11:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., the same time period when the tracks were running.

- Besides his three brothers, few of Briatta’s additional alleged henchmen were Augie Circella, Nick Garambone, Sid Frasin, Dom Laino and Phil Katz.

- By 1963, Briatta was retired because of health issues
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Thanks for the additional info on Briatta Villain. I also have a hard time believing that he wasn't made. But if this CI was from the Southside, I suppose they'd be in a position to know.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:11 am Thanks for the additional info on Briatta Villain. I also have a hard time believing that he wasn't made. But if this CI was from the Southside, I suppose they'd be in a position to know.
I agree since Briatta was under Ferraro and Alex aka the South Side faction so as you said, it is possible that the informant was aware regarding Briattas status because he also belonged to that same group
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Villain wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:24 am
PolackTony wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:11 am Thanks for the additional info on Briatta Villain. I also have a hard time believing that he wasn't made. But if this CI was from the Southside, I suppose they'd be in a position to know.
I agree since Briatta was under Ferraro and Alex aka the South Side faction so as you said, it is possible that the informant was aware regarding Briattas status because he also belonged to that same group
It is also just one informant's opinion. Perhaps Briatta wasn't made because of his connections? However, this informant seemed to be fairly confident in who he classified as "made" or not. I'm curious as to what Ed's article will produce; I know he said he was working on a Jewish Outfit informant but I'm not sure if this would be the same guy based on his knowledge of the making ceremony. I would assume this guy would be made or at least Italian but stranger things have happened.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

If he wasn't intended for boss/capo status and perhaps wasn't plugged in with the right crowd (i.e. in the 50s with the Giancana Westside faction), maybe he just wasnt ever made despite his relative importance in the Loop. It's also possible I suppose that the different Outfit factions had different practices when it came to these things, and with Briatta being part of the least Italian/Mafia faction of the Outfit being made was less important even if it presumably kept him at arms length from the inner circle of the leadership.

If a guy like Briatta really wasn't made, then it just goes to show again how divergent Outfit practices were from the NYC families. I'm hesitant to say from LCN in general, as I'm not really in a position to judge whether a guy like Briatta would likely have been made in Cleveland or NE or Philly. But in comparison with Chicago, looking at NYC it's like they made every chooch who was an earner and could push a button lol.

Depending on how one looks at it, being made in Chicago could seem both more and less important than in NYC. Less, in that one could be non-made and even non Italian and have a functional/operational role within the Outfit-as-Syndicate commensurate with made or even capo status in NYC. But being made in Chicago also can be seen as an even more prestigious honor than in the 5 fams, given how few were accorded induction (the ~150 cited by this CI being Outfit membership during its golden era. If they inducted in the pattern of NYC their made membership would've easily been on par with the Genovese and Gambinos I think). Taking this perspective, the making of 30-odd members inducted in '56 is an even more significant event, and I'd imagine a big power play by Giancana to stack the ranks of "the Life" with his loyalists.

Additionally, I recall Frank Cullotta stating that made guys were called "bosses" and/or "Mustaches". If true, this goes to show the relative prestige attached to being a made guy in Chicago. I'd bet that going back to Capone's induction in 1928, the number of made guys was always small and restricted to those close to top Syndicate leadership. Likely the first 10 made by Capone as capodecina set the template for what it meant to be a made guy in the Outfit.
Coloboy
Straightened out

Post by Coloboy »

Really interesting to see the “commitee” laid out like that. If you think about it, it really is a good system for running a large organization like the outfit. With a pyramid type scheme, which is essentially what la cosa nostra is, you will always need one man to call the day to day shots. Obviously that would be the boss. But it seems to me that the boss was most likely elected by and perhaps even voted in by this committee. So really, it is an organization that is run by a board, and not one person.

My guess would be some type of committee still exists today. If you are a seasoned veteran and you have proven your worth, you may be eligible for a seat on this top committee. My only question is where somebody like Ricca would have fit in during his time as “top boss.” Could he overrule the committee? Or were him and Accardo simply very influential members of the committee who could influence the others if need be?
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Snakes wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:50 am
It is also just one informant's opinion. Perhaps Briatta wasn't made because of his connections? However, this informant seemed to be fairly confident in who he classified as "made" or not. I'm curious as to what Ed's article will produce; I know he said he was working on a Jewish Outfit informant but I'm not sure if this would be the same guy based on his knowledge of the making ceremony. I would assume this guy would be made or at least Italian but stranger things have happened.
I think you are right but i dont think that Briattas "public" family connections werent the reason for his alleged non-membership, since what about the Rotis right?! Most of the infos show that Briatta was under Alex and Ferraro and the thing was that both of them hated being around made members or members known to the public. Hence Kruse's suspicion towards Ferraro for being weak, and Alex's constant moves to get away from the Outfit. So maybe Ferraro and Alex didnt want for Briatta to get made out of various reasons...who knows?!

I think that Louie Tornabene previously held Briattas spot and I always thought that Tornabene was also a made guy but after this "recent" info, im having doubts regarding him also lol
Last edited by Villain on Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:09 am
If he wasn't intended for boss/capo status and perhaps wasn't plugged in with the right crowd (i.e. in the 50s with the Giancana Westside faction), maybe he just wasnt ever made despite his relative importance in the Loop. It's also possible I suppose that the different Outfit factions had different practices when it came to these things, and with Briatta being part of the least Italian/Mafia faction of the Outfit being made was less important even if it presumably kept him at arms length from the inner circle of the leadership.

If a guy like Briatta really wasn't made, then it just goes to show again how divergent Outfit practices were from the NYC families. I'm hesitant to say from LCN in general, as I'm not really in a position to judge whether a guy like Briatta would likely have been made in Cleveland or NE or Philly. But in comparison with Chicago, looking at NYC it's like they made every chooch who was an earner and could push a button lol.

Depending on how one looks at it, being made in Chicago could seem both more and less important than in NYC. Less, in that one could be non-made and even non Italian and have a functional/operational role within the Outfit-as-Syndicate commensurate with made or even capo status in NYC. But being made in Chicago also can be seen as an even more prestigious honor than in the 5 fams, given how few were accorded induction (the ~150 cited by this CI being Outfit membership during its golden era. If they inducted in the pattern of NYC their made membership would've easily been on par with the Genovese and Gambinos I think). Taking this perspective, the making of 30-odd members inducted in '56 is an even more significant event, and I'd imagine a big power play by Giancana to stack the ranks of "the Life" with his loyalists.

Additionally, I recall Frank Cullotta stating that made guys were called "bosses" and/or "Mustaches". If true, this goes to show the relative prestige attached to being a made guy in Chicago. I'd bet that going back to Capone's induction in 1928, the number of made guys was always small and restricted to those close to top Syndicate leadership. Likely the first 10 made by Capone as capodecina set the template for what it meant to be a made guy in the Outfit.
Nicely said and i think you can find the answer somewhere in the middle of your two theories, meaning there wasnt any huge difference between a made guy and non-made guy in the Outfit, but since the whole situation always circulated around the whole Mafia protocols, it was probably a prestige to become a made guy and to receive some type of stature in the national CN organization....hence the smaller number of made guys in Chicago by the early 60s and their huge influence all around the world
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Coloboy wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:11 pm Really interesting to see the “commitee” laid out like that. If you think about it, it really is a good system for running a large organization like the outfit. With a pyramid type scheme, which is essentially what la cosa nostra is, you will always need one man to call the day to day shots. Obviously that would be the boss. But it seems to me that the boss was most likely elected by and perhaps even voted in by this committee. So really, it is an organization that is run by a board, and not one person.

My guess would be some type of committee still exists today. If you are a seasoned veteran and you have proven your worth, you may be eligible for a seat on this top committee. My only question is where somebody like Ricca would have fit in during his time as “top boss.” Could he overrule the committee? Or were him and Accardo simply very influential members of the committee who could influence the others if need be?
Theres one talk between Genovese boss Tommy Eboli, Giancana and Ricca...at first Eboli and Giancana had their talk and later on Eboli told Ricca something like "when i talk to you, its the same as i talk to Vito (Genovese)"...Eboli said this infront of Giancana which means that Ricca had higher stature than both of them....another interesting info is that most of the top bosses gathered at Riccas house every sunday for lunch....whenever some boss was about to be replaced, we have both Ricca and Accardo being present, especially Ricca depending on circumstances at the time etc.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

Coloboy wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:11 pm Really interesting to see the “commitee” laid out like that. If you think about it, it really is a good system for running a large organization like the outfit. With a pyramid type scheme, which is essentially what la cosa nostra is, you will always need one man to call the day to day shots. Obviously that would be the boss. But it seems to me that the boss was most likely elected by and perhaps even voted in by this committee. So really, it is an organization that is run by a board, and not one person.

Yes the informants mention of the committee raises more questions. Ive seen chartfrom that time period that has a board of directors. I believe the Nitti book lists a board of directors from the Capone era. Not all members of board were Italian in that book. Was it the same board that was described as a ruling panel in the first half of the 70s, with less members on it. Well thats the LCN for you. When you think you have something figured out, new info seems to come along. Who knows at this point if its accurate. I think Ricca and Accardo must of wanted it this way at the time if its true. I dont believe it shows that they had less power
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Frank wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:08 pm

Yes the informants mention of the committee raises more questions. Ive seen chartfrom that time period that has a board of directors. I believe the Nitti book lists a board of directors from the Capone era. Not all members of board were Italian in that book. Was it the same board that was described as a ruling panel in the first half of the 70s, with less members on it. Well thats the LCN for you. When you think you have something figured out, new info seems to come along. Who knows at this point if its accurate. I think Ricca and Accardo must of wanted it this way at the time if its true. I dont believe it shows that they had less power
My own assumption is that the Committee or BOD panel leadership was a heritage of the Board described in the Eghigian book, with the Board members receiving a cut of gang income as well as their own side interests that they directly invested in. It's also possible that this arrangement had some influence from Mafia practices such as the Consiglio or Seggia that B and CC have described. These aren't mutually exclusive, of course, and influences from both points of origin may have reinforced certain practices. I see the Outfit as a hybrid of LCN and the Capone Syndicate of course, and believe that the leadership over time adopted/adapted or rejected various protocol addition depending on how useful they saw them. The use of a Committee/Consiglio form is obviously useful in the context of trying to hold together a Syndicate composed of several factions that were almost like their own "families", and which ruled a vast territory and huge rackets.

It's notable that this CI both underscored the power and prestige that non-made Outfit guys could wield, while also taking care to state that they ultimately still answered to and advised the Italian made guys on the ruling Committee. If a truncated version of the Committee was maintained in the 70s and 80s (as I think is likely), it's worth noting that Alex still occupied this important role as non-made senior advisor while being unable to hold the top boss, boss, or underboss positions. The value of a panel leadership (in this case in limiting outsider scrutiny and analysis of the hierarchy rather than for internal conflict resolution etc) is further demonstrated though by the fact that many in LE and Chicago newsmedia took Alex for the boss for a period.