First look at ‘Sopranos’ prequel…

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Cheech
Full Patched

Re: First look at ‘Sopranos’ prequel…

Post by Cheech »

He passed him a pistol for some reason? Was weird. The whole thing just felt like a dream.
Like when in Goodfellas and youre watching karen and henry argue in jail. You felt like u were there. When dickie was in the jail talking to his uncle it didnt feel like it was real. Was it? Idk.
The whole movie plays like that to me. Dickie is banging Giuseppina in some restaurant bathroom. Then they eat. No one is around. Then they walk on the beach and he strangles her and leaves her in the ocean. What? No one brings her up again.
Was the hole thing a fuck you too fans? It came off low budget. Again. What was Chase thinking and how did no one say hey buddy? What are you doing?
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

It was rolling along fine then dickie kills his dad in the garage. What? Went downhill from there.
Joey Diaz character. Was he related to Pussy? He takes a call from joe dimmaggio from boirardos house. What?
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

Even Chris doing the voice over. Great idea. Bad execution. He only does it a few times and the writing is odd.
Extortion
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Extortion »

It would have worked as a mini series not a movie. Movie was boring and there was like no real plot points or character development and too many supporting characters for a 2 hr movie
“In Italian, La Cosa Nostra is also known as ‘our headache.’” -Jerry Anguilo
Nick Prango
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Nick Prango »

Cheech wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:52 am
Dave65827 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:13 pm I don’t really have a problem with the “woke” stuff in the movie it’s just that it was done so poorly. Like why did Frank Lucas appear in the movie ? To egg on Harold on shit he was already doing ?

Not to spoil for anyone here but Dickies death was way worse off than what happened in my mind like it pissed me off

Michael Gandolfinis performance was great but he’s barely in the movie
Agreed. And Harold fuckin Giuseppina. It just happened? When did they meet?
Movie was weird. Surprised chase made it. I wanted to like it more than i did. Need to watch again. The whole thing plays like a dream sequence.
Goodfellas you felt like you were there as it was happening. In this it didnt feel real at all.
Agreed. Giuseppa and Harold made me sick to my stomach. That whole entire subplot with the woke bullshit should’ve never even been there. The relationship between Harold and Giuseppina makes no sense.
Nick Prango
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Nick Prango »

MichaelGiovanni wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:23 pm
newera_212 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:57 pm Damn I see the movie really isn't getting a lot of love...lmao. I understand the complaints. I still stand by my love for it because I'm just so blinded by fandom and excited for new material. Plus going to the actual premier was a cool experience. I had low expectations too - so I'm happy I walked away thinking that at the very least, this whole thing didn't FEEL like a thrown-together money grab, at least.

I'd also agree with the woke sentiments only if it weren't for Newark and the late 60s (riots, unrest, civil rights, etc.) actually being a part of Chase's original plans, always being something of interest to Chase, and also actually being a part of Tony's childhood on the show.

I can see how it'd be easy to think - just with what's going on right now with all of the forced inclusion and corporate/media co-opting - that the "black" part of this story line was just crowbarred into this movie to check some boxes that need to be checked today - but like another poster said above, the riots have been something Chase has wanted to do something with forever - and again, it was a part of Tony's childhood on the show. Just feels like good timing to touch on that right now, but I think it's coincidental. I don't think they were consciously thinking about "equity and inclusion"

I want to believe there's going to be a sequel that addresses/cleans up the situation with the blacks , picking up where this movie left off. I also want to believe that on the series, Tony never talked about a big black vs. italian war over the numbers rackets back in the day only because he was too young to know what was going on, and was ultimately this little war was just a blip on the radar of his father's extensive Mob career. Another day in the life. Maybe I'm thinking about it too much and giving Chase and everybody else way too much credit though LOL.

Anyway, so we all know that Barry Haydu was bullshit. Now though... was that the story Tony was told growing up? OR was that what he told Chris at that particular time to get Chris to do what he did? Even when Season 4 was airing ...shit...over 15 or 16 years ago...I thought Tony was shining Chris on about Barry Haydu . But, now I'm thinking maybe that's the story Tony was told growing up, too? He was so worked up in Melfi's office about the blacks that jumped him and tried to steal his shoes (the ones who prevented him from going on the hijacking with Tony B) but never has any animosity for the ones that killed his Uncle and tried to kill his Dad?
good post. the only thing i'll disagree with and this is just my opinion is "Just feels like good timing to touch on that right now, but I think it's coincidental. I don't think they were consciously thinking about "equity and inclusion"

It's everywhere today. The wonder years remake of a black family, the super bowl halftime performers. snoop dog, dr. dre, etc. This hip hop queens show coming out on tv. The so called black national anthem at every nfl game. It is no coincidence. You think they would green light an all white sitcom in today's climate?
I totally agree. Fucking wokeness ruined everything. Even Seinfeld couldn't be made today. Jerry Seinfeld said that himself. A show about 4 white people who are all straight. Every actual group would complain and it would be cancelled before the pilot episode :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nick Prango
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Nick Prango »

Extortion wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:07 pm It would have worked as a mini series not a movie. Movie was boring and there was like no real plot points or character development and too many supporting characters for a 2 hr movie
Agreed. It’s what happens when you take 8 hours worth of story material best suited for a mini series and condense into a 2-hour cinematic experience.
Nick Prango
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Nick Prango »

The problem is simply that we don't get to know the characters in their full dimensionality. It would have worked as an 8 episode mini series
TwoPiece
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by TwoPiece »

i enjoyed it, dickie was cool as hell. there was a lot of fan service but hey, i'm a fan. appreciated all the little mannerisms dickie had that tony adopted as he grew up.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

I watched it. It was just okay. "Disjointed" is probably the best word to describe it. A bunch of stuff just happened and then it ended.
TwoPiece
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by TwoPiece »

shoulda had joey diaz as fat fuckin jerry anastasia
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

I forgot the dumbest thing of all. Junior has Dickie killed cause he laughed at him

literally reatrded.
Raven
Straightened out

Post by Raven »

Cheech wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:39 am I forgot the dumbest thing of all. Junior has Dickie killed cause he laughed at him

literally reatrded.
It pissed me off not to see the actual shooter. Did Junior give the contract to Barry Haydu? Fuckin’ Chase trying to be ambiguous The series was never ambiguous until the finale and he did it again in the movie.
outfit guy
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by outfit guy »

All great points; didn't expect to enjoy it, but did.
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

anyone catch the reference to Ercole? they even mentioned tony blundetto.

a few questions

who was in the ice cream truck with him? Jackie and who?
and whos the kid with him and carmela when they are calling dickie from the phone booth for beer?