Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

lennert
Straightened out

Re: Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Post by lennert »

Some more
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lennert
Straightened out

Post by lennert »

And some more
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lennert
Straightened out

Post by lennert »

As for the mentioned Donato, I have no idea how he connects, if at all, to the other Valentis, or the Rochester Mafia. I have never come across his name in connection to either the mob connected Valentis, or the Rochester Mafia in general. Of course this doesn't mean there is no connection, but at least I never found one.

As mentioned earlier, I also did not find a connection between the two mob connected Valanti families. I do know that Giuseppe and Alfonso definitely were not brothers.

Not sure if my two cents help, or only add to the confusion, just thought I would add a little to the discussion.
lennert
Straightened out

Post by lennert »

Finally, the Rochester list as appearing on Bill Feather's website is a bit outdated already. Made it years ago, and since have come across quite a bit more information, especially a lot more names I need to add some time, as well as addittions for the figures already listed. Also, I now believe Costenze Valanti was not the capo before Frank. The most likely succession before Frank Valanti, in my oponion, would be:

-Pasquale Amico - late 1920s/early 1930s to 1947
-Possibly Erasmo (Adam) Mutolo, due to the fact he appeared in Momo Adamo's address book as the only Rochester resident, and the other persons listed were all bosses and high ranking members
-Jake Russo - 1950s-1964
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

lennert wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:15 am Not sure if my two cents help, or only add to the confusion, just thought I would add a little to the discussion.
Very helpful. Great to see you posting, Lennert.

It still seems Magaddino was referring to another Frank Valenti (most likely the one from Grotte background), which initially confused Joe Falcone, but I'm questioning now whether Magaddino was referring to these other Valentis as the unspecified cousin(s) of the famous Frank Valenti. Seems unlikely, unless he was confused by the surname like I was, and of course his words are too vague to really know anything for sure.

The connection between the Agrigento Valentis and the surname Dimino is interesting, as the Falcones of Utica (from Sciacca, AG) appear to have been related by marriage to Accursio Dimino, early NYC captain under D'Aquila.
lennert
Straightened out

Post by lennert »

I have no idea who Magaddino talks about, but I would say he meant the old man, the younger brother (probably Stanley) and the cousin are relatives of Frank Valenti. I only vaguely remember what was said in the transcripts of the Magaddino/Falcone conversation, as it has been a long time ago I read these, and I must say I don't remember whether they talked about another Frank Valenti. But if they did, it is likely they talked about "our" other Frank Valenti.

It would be pretty interesting to find out if there was a relationship between Accursio Dimino and the Rochester Diminos... I will try to look into it, and see if I can find any additional information on any of them.
lennert
Straightened out

Post by lennert »

What I found so far, is that the Rochester Diminos were, like many of the early Rochester mob figures, from Grotte. If I remember correctly, Accursio Dimino, like the Falcones, came from Sciacca? The father of Frank and Carl Dimino was Andrea, and interestingly, their mother was a Boscarino, and probably related to early Rochester bootleg king Alfio Boscarino. Andrew Dimino was most likely a relative, although how he fits in I did not find out. Andrew came to the US in 1932, listing his father as Paolo, and his grandfather as Andrea. However, the father of Frank and Carlo did not have a son named Paolo.

Attached some records on the Rochester Diminos.
lennert
Straightened out

Post by lennert »

More
lennert
Straightened out

Post by lennert »

Some more. Somehow I am not allowed to attach more then three docs, so I post them in parts...
lennert
Straightened out

Post by lennert »

More
lennert
Straightened out

Post by lennert »

And the last two...
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

Those old news articles are great for OC, thanks for posting. I also love the ads, suits for $47 dollars and the prices in the other ads that accompany the stories are a fun side study.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

lennert wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:54 am Regarding the Valentis figuring in the 1940s liquor ring, they are a bit hard to figure out. From what I understand, Frank, Alphonse A. and Joseph were brothers. Their father was indeed Alpfonso, who as B. pointed out, came from Grotto. Their mother was Vincenza. Alphonse J. was Frank's son. To confuse matters, there was also a Alphonse F. whofigured in the case, who without a doubt was related to the others, but not sure how exactly.

Before settling in Rochester, Alfonso lived in Indiana, Pa. As of 1930, Vincenza still lived there with her children (Frank also still lived there in 1930, but he was already married and had his own houselhold by then) Alfonso however, was not part of the household anymore, and might have moved to Rochester to make preparations for the rest of the family to come over, as they appeared in Rochester not long after. Alfonso died there in 1933. Vincenza died in Rochester in 1937. Attached the Indiana census records, as well as Vincenza's 1937 obituary.
Interesting. John LaRocca aka Sebastiano Gianni resided in Indiana, PA (Homer City) until 1928 then moved to Jamestown, NY where he ran a gas filling station in Cassadaga, NY with his uncle John LaValli and was transporting illegal booze at that time.
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

If I am not mistaken, Joe Masseria was arrested in August of 1922 for the murder of Umberto Valenti in NYC on Mulberry St. It was around August 9-11, 1922. Umberto Valenti was known as a "Bootlegging King" and he amassed a fortune. There was also an Anthony Valenti who was a bootlegger in West Utica in 1923, where he was arrested for violation of liquor laws. In October of 1920 in Buffalo, a car was stopped and illegal booze was found and after the car was taken to police headquarters, it was registered to a Jospeh Valenti of 83 Virginia St. In December of 1924, Onofrio Valenti, 41 years old, was shot by 24 year old Sam Varisco.
Last edited by JCB1977 on Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
lennert
Straightened out

Post by lennert »

If I remember correctly, there was also a Rocco Valenti, who was active with other members of his family in bootlegging in Troy, New York. Not to be confused with the Brooklyn Camorra gunman with the same name.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk