Opinion/Discussion: DeCavalcante Present Day

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

nash143
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by nash143 »

B. wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:39 am I found a listing that says Joe Giacobbe, son of Lorenzo, died July 23rd 2015, which is the same guy you found. If the listing is correct, it's the DeCavalcante member.

This is def the same guy in the obituary you found:

I think must be the same info I looked at. I recognise the photo.

On another note, what is the exact relationship between Joe Merlo and Frank Majuru? I've read on here several have said cousins? Where is that info from?The best I can find is...Charles Majuri's grandmother's ex-husband was Joe Merlo's grandfather's brother.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Opinion/Discussion: DeCavalcante Present Day

Post by B. »

That might be the relationship right there. Apparently the families call themselves cousins. Wouldn't be a surprise if the relation is that far removed and they're aware of it. We're talking about a very tight-knit community.

Speaking of convoluted family trees, the Sicilian side is incomplete, but I saw info that might point to Phil Amari's father being the brother of Jake Amari's grandfather. You're great with geneaology so let me know if you find anything about that.
TommyGambino
Full Patched

Post by TommyGambino »

Is merlo in his 80s?
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Late 50s or around there.

He's the young guy in the 1980s Ribera club photo, second row, second from far left with light jacket and dark tie. Joe Merlo Sr. is the guy numbered 5.

Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Has anyone found a death year for Larry Schiro? I'm assuming he is dead as he would be 101 if still alive.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
TommyGambino
Full Patched

Post by TommyGambino »

B. wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:15 pm Late 50s or around there.

He's the young guy in the 1980s Ribera club photo, second row, second from far left with light jacket and dark tie. Joe Merlo Sr. is the guy numbered 5.

Thanks b. Just seen online that his date of birth is 1940 on a chart but thats obviously wrong and maybe the dads age
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Joe Sclafani was cought on tape in the late 1990s bitching about not being promoted to Capo. So if he is "Horse" that would be 3 Acting Bosses (the other two being Joe Miranda and Frank Paparatto) in a relatively short period who were vocal in their complaints about not being promoted Who suddenly found themselves in the top seat.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
joerock
Straightened out

Post by joerock »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:27 pm Joe Sclafani was cought on tape in the late 1990s bitching about not being promoted to Capo. So if he is "Horse" that would be 3 Acting Bosses (the other two being Joe Miranda and Frank Paparatto) in a relatively short period who were vocal in their complaints about not being promoted Who suddenly found themselves in the top seat.

Pogo
A ruining panel of some sorts then once again
nash143
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by nash143 »

B. wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:03 pm That might be the relationship right there. Apparently the families call themselves cousins. Wouldn't be a surprise if the relation is that far removed and they're aware of it. We're talking about a very tight-knit community.

Speaking of convoluted family trees, the Sicilian side is incomplete, but I saw info that might point to Phil Amari's father being the brother of Jake Amari's grandfather. You're great with geneaology so let me know if you find anything about that.
I think you're bang on with the Amari link. Jake Amari's obituary states he has/had a brother named Filippo. There is a Passenger List you may have seen that has a Gioacchino (DOB matches Jake Amari's official death record) and a Filippo Amari who are the sons of a Vincenzo. This Vincenzo's Father Filippo, is the Uncle of Filippo 'Phil' Amari (same link that you have made). Jake also had a sister named Anna which is the same name as his Grandmother.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Great, thank you. Looks like we were on the same track.

Many years ago I saw reference to another Gioacchino Amari involved with the mafia in Ribera who was not the right age to be the DeCavalcante underboss or his grandfather. Maybe a cousin.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

B. wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:05 pm I thought Felice said he came from Sicily but that great info he shared on the Real Deal is long gone.

Here a great post he made that I saved.

It is an Italian indictment from last summer against the Ribera Family.

All the info were from a microphone placed in Emanuel Sortino's car and testimonies of Rotondo and Scarabino to Italian authorities.

Scarabino flipped because he didn't accept to kill 2 women and six children, relatives of turncoat Rotondo said the Gambino family take away his club for men. He doesn't want jail life because he has a wonderful wife and three children.

The DeCavalcante Family recognizes Sicilian made me. In New York you are only seen as an Associate if you weren’t made in America. Rotondo: 3/4 of DeCavalcante family members born in Sicily, most of them are from Ribera and near villages. You have also a lot of people from Corleone.

Funzi Tieri ordered to the DeCavalcante to make the Sicilian Mafiosi so also NY could talke to them. Gennaro Sortino never got made in America but he answered directly to the DeCavalcante Administration.

Genovese and the DeCavalcante do heroin trafficking because they’ve power over the waterfronts. The DeCavalcante family was tied to the Cotroni in Canada.

Giuseppe Colletti's (b.1930) two sons are made men of the DeCavalcante family. Joseph Colletti's cousin are part of Ribera Family.

According to Rotondo, Joe Giacobbe and Joseph Sclafani have relatives in the Ribera Family. Leonardo Giacobbe and his father Emanuele were Ribera Family Soldiers. Joseph Giacobbe's father was a DeCavalcante Family Capodecina.

Gioacchino “Jake” Amari (b.1945) - He was born in Ribera and escaped from Italy after he killed a cop in Corleone. He was in continuous contact with Salvatore “Totò” Riina. He went to Sicily to die here. He was replaced by Sam DeCavalcante.

Francesco Guarraci – Was Amari's man. Francesco Gatto was in Amari's crew.

A guy surnamed Giuliano was a DeCavalcante Family made man. He went to Ribera and was accepted by the local Cosca under the suggestion of Riggi.

Giuseppe “Pino” Schifilliti - Was on the run and he was arrested in Milan.

Girolamo Palermo (b.1938) - Was the family Acting Boss. His son was shot and so dismissed himself. According to Sortino, he was a tough one. He was born in Ribera with his brother Simone (b.1933)

Salvatore Timpani was born in Messina and used to import some zips from there.

Frank Polizzi was paralyzed and Scarabino acted for him. There were several meetings about the heroin trafficking in Florida at Polizzi's home. Among those present were: Steve Raffa who had some Sicilian men under him, Francesco Guarraci and Joe De Santis. Sicilian drug traffickers entered in America disguised as priests.

Rotondo's father was going to become the family Consigliere before he was killed.

Vito Montemarano is Anthony Rotondo's uncle and a family Associate.

Charles Majuri is from Corleone and keeps ties there, according to Rotondo a lot of DeCavalcante Soldiers are from Corleone and they answered to Majuri.

Jake Miceli - DeCavalcante Associate. His cousin Alfonso is a Ribera Family Soldier.

Nick Cottone - DeCavalcante Family Soldier.

Gaetano Alessi - DeCavalcante Family Soldier.

Jerry aka Dracula is a DeCavalcante Family Soldier. His brothers are members of the Falcone Family in Canada.

Filippo Bacino (b.1902) - Was an early Family Boss along with Amari. His brother Luciano was a Ribera Family Member.

Francesco Paparatto - Was made Acting Boss along with Manny Riggi by John Riggi in about 2001.

Sicilian Mafiosi are often present in New Jersey: Scarabino said Polizzi gave him false names for everyone who was from Sicily, Scarabino identified some photos.

Giuseppe Capizzi (b.1969) - From Ribera.

Giuseppe Terrasi (b.1961) - From Ribera. Known to Scarabino as Lenny.

Nicolò Amari (b.1954, from Ribera) - He apparently answered to Steve Raffa. He was with another man undefined who according to Polizzi had the heroin importation exclusive in Canada.

Paolo Capizzi (b.1968) Son of Ribera Family Boss Simone Capizzi

Paolo Farina (b.1926) - From Caltabellotta near Ribera. Later a Capo in the DeCavalcante Family. He was a drug trafficker. He actually resides in Florida, now deceased.

Giovanni Derelitto (b.1950) a money launderer, member of Burgio family in Sicily. Burgio is near Ribera and is capomandamento which the Ribera Family reports to.

Francesco Gatto (b.1941) - Made Member of the DeCavalcante Family. He works at the Ribera social club along with Francesco Guarraci. He goes to Italy every summer and has been living in Jersey since the 60s

Gennaro Sortino (b.1920) – Capo in the Ribera Family. He lived in Elizabeth for dozens of years. He is Giuseppe Colletti's (b.1930) brother in law.

Emanuel Sortino (b.1955) son of Gennaro, living in Italy from 1999. He worked in labor in Elizabeth and had a market with his father.

Ignazio Massimino - Linked to Salvatore Timpani. He was arrested last summer. He's a member of the Agrigento Family.

I can't understand some tapes, talking of Riggi, the Sortinos make reference of a Peppe Lo Raso, John Belluri, John Bonara, Peppino Dato.

John Riggi Jr. divorced from his wife and is not good to the Sicilian eyes, Michele Merlo seems to be Riggi son in law, another Riggi son in law seems to be John Belluri

According to Rotondo, Charlie Stango's cousin was going to get made in 1999.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Awesome, I'm glad you saved that.

Thank you for posting it again and thank you to Felice for the original info.

--
The DeCavalcante Family recognizes Sicilian made me. In New York you are only seen as an Associate if you weren’t made in America. Rotondo: 3/4 of DeCavalcante family members born in Sicily, most of them are from Ribera and near villages. You have also a lot of people from Corleone.

Funzi Tieri ordered to the DeCavalcante to make the Sicilian Mafiosi so also NY could talke to them. Gennaro Sortino never got made in America but he answered directly to the DeCavalcante Administration.
There's mixed info on transfers but we do have info on NYC recognizing Sicilians and allowing transfers. More here: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6780&p=177307

Funzi Tieri attended a sitdown in the late 1960s where Sicilian mafia figure Onofrio Milazzo represented Lucchese associates (his cousin was Jimmy Sinatra Craparotta). Seems Milazzo may have transferred membership to the Lucchese family during his short time in the US, but it was interesting as Tieri appears to have recognized him. A source who attended the sitdown said Tieri showed a lot of respect for Milazzo.
According to Rotondo, Joe Giacobbe and Joseph Sclafani have relatives in the Ribera Family. Leonardo Giacobbe and his father Emanuele were Ribera Family Soldiers. Joseph Giacobbe's father was a DeCavalcante Family Capodecina.
Unless it turns out there's a Joseph Giacobbe Sr. and Jr., seems to be saying Lorenzo Giacobbe (died 1960) was a capodecina. So that is two pre-1960s capodecinas we know of.
Charles Majuri is from Corleone and keeps ties there, according to Rotondo a lot of DeCavalcante Soldiers are from Corleone and they answered to Majuri.
Charlie Majuri's grandfather was born in Corleone, but his father Frank was born in NYC and Charlie in NJ. His maternal grandparents are from Ribera. This info has always been strange to me, as we don't know of any other Corleonese member, let alone a faction.

Like a lot of informant/witness info, even if it's not 100% correct it shows us what Rotondo's perception was. It could be a sign that there were more early members from Corleone who we don't know about.
Jake Miceli - DeCavalcante Associate. His cousin Alfonso is a Ribera Family Soldier.
Leonardo Giacobbe's nephew is a Gioacchino Miceli. Could be him.
Jerry aka Dracula is a DeCavalcante Family Soldier. His brothers are members of the Falcone Family in Canada.
JD shared other info from Rotondo that said this guy's father and brother were involved with the Bonanno Montreal crew. A good indication he is from Agrigento province.

Girolamo Guarraggi has ties to Bonanno figures in Montreal and "Jerry" is a nickname for Girolamo, but I don't know that he was made back then or that he has relatives involved in Montreal.
Filippo Bacino (b.1902) - Was an early Family Boss along with Amari. His brother Luciano was a Ribera Family Member.
I've seen Italian reports that identify Luciano Bacino as a Ribera mafia figure in the 1940s/50s.

The Phil Bacino thing is still a mystery... it's not a name that a modern member would pull out of thin air, even with the Ribera connection. He was only in NYC a short time, so if it's true he could only have been boss briefly in the early-mid 1920s.
Giuseppe Capizzi (b.1969) - From Ribera.

Paolo Capizzi (b.1968) Son of Ribera Family Boss Simone Capizzi
Simone Capizzi took over the Ribera family after Carmelo Colletti's 1983 murder and is serving a life sentence. Simone has a son named Giuseppe who is involved with the mafia in Ribera and served a prison sentence for mafia association, so this one might be Simone's son as well as Paolo. Looks like Paolo has had legal trouble as well.
Giuseppe Terrasi (b.1961) - From Ribera. Known to Scarabino as Lenny.
A Giuseppe Terrasi exactly the same age died in a car accident in Ribera in 2019. Could be him.
Paolo Farina (b.1926) - From Caltabellotta near Ribera. Later a Capo in the DeCavalcante Family. He was a drug trafficker. He actually resides in Florida, now deceased.

Farina wasn't deceased when Felice posted this and was still alive in 2015. No idea if he's died since.
Giovanni Derelitto (b.1950) a money launderer, member of Burgio family in Sicily. Burgio is near Ribera and is capomandamento which the Ribera Family reports to.
He was arrested in Sicily in the early 2010s.
Ignazio Massimino - Linked to Salvatore Timpani. He was arrested last summer. He's a member of the Agrigento Family.
His brother Antonino was identified as a recent boss of Agrigento.
joerock
Straightened out

Post by joerock »

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mafia/comments ... ame=iossmf

Found this very interesting chart creation, I’m not sure how accurate it is, it’s apparently based off the 2015 indictments and then some.
nash143
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by nash143 »

Looks like proposed member Peter/Pietro Colletti died in 2020 (assuming the proposed member is a brother of the Colletti members).

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/njnew ... fhid=21779

Obituary states Giacomo, Domenico (members on Pogo's list) and Pietro are all sons of Joseph, which matches Joseph Colletti's b.1930 death record.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Yep, that's the right guy.

Might also be a relative of Pietro/Pete Colletti who shows up on the DeCavalcante tapes as a possible old time member.