Some DeCavalcante Family Info (1980s-1990s)

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

AlexfromSouth
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: Some DeCavalcante Family Info (1980s-1990s)

Post by AlexfromSouth »

B. wrote:Sorry, I don't know where Sclafani is from. Unfortunately it's a very common name and most of the info that's easy to find on him is dominated by the usual "Real Sopranos" and "Made Men" type stuff.
Bronx told me he was from bensonhurst/bath beach. Guess he was from there. I trust Bronx on that kind of stuff
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

All I know is he was living on Staten Island at the time of the 1999 bust.
Chaps
Straightened out

Post by Chaps »

Received Joe Caruano's "file" this week that ranges from the 1970's and ends with the first section of a large multi-subject file from the mid 1990's when the FBI opened the large investigation that lead to the big indictments. File is totally useless as particularly the most recent stuff is heavily redacted.

One interesting piece is from a memo dated 4/23/1997 that stated an investigation of Caruano was being put back into active status due to his position as Underboss of the DeCavalcante Family. First I've heard of this as, at this time, its always been given that Jake Amari served as both Acting Boss and Official Underboss at this time.

Its highly possible that this was the case as Amari was very ill at this time. The same memo later states that "Numerous sources have reported that the current Boss of the DeCavalcante Family, Jake Amari, has terminal cancer and is not expected to live long. Combined with the recent death of the Family patriarch, Sam "the Plumber" DeCavalcante, the Family is about to go through a change in leadership, which quite often brings with it a chain of violence. The writer believes that this investigation will compliment other investigations being conducted by C-4 to include investigations of (redacted) said to be in the running to be the next boss."

Also, files state that Caruano was not only the nephew of Louis LaRasso but also the brother-in-law of Frank Majuri. He was also related in some way to the Merlo's.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Thanks for sharing what you've found, even if it's small it's always good info. That's the first I've heard of Caruano possibly being part of the administration. He was still involved in family affairs at the time from what I've come across. Seems possible he was acting underboss for Amari, who you said was ID'd in the same memo as "the current Boss" (i.e. they left off "acting", meaning they could have done it for "acting" underboss as well).

Do you have the exact month that Amari died in 1997?
Chaps
Straightened out

Post by Chaps »

B.

I don't know if anyone has been able to dig up Amari's exact date of death. I do know his wake was held at Corsentino's on June 16, 1997 so it was sometime in the summer of '97. It is my belief that Jake actually went back to Sicily to die and is, in fact, buried there as I can find no information on a U.S. burial. There is no SS death index record for him or obituaries.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Chaps wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:26 pm B.

I don't know if anyone has been able to dig up Amari's exact date of death. I do know his wake was held at Corsentino's on June 16, 1997 so it was sometime in the summer of '97. It is my belief that Jake actually went back to Sicily to die and is, in fact, buried there as I can find no information on a U.S. burial. There is no SS death index record for him or obituaries.
I am almost positive Amari either died in Sicily or was soon shipped there to be buried. Whether he died in May at the earliest or mid-June at the latest, it seems likely he had been phased out of his daily duties as acting boss in the early months of 1997 and the ruling panel was already in place or some other arrangement, possibly including Caruano if that report is true. He's a murky character all around as far as records go. His birth name was Gioacchino, though it's often said to be Giacomo. Seems likely his family tree intersects with a few more familiar names than just Phil Amari.
LcnBios
Straightened out

Post by LcnBios »

Misc info on DeCavs/NY:

- Anthony 'Marshmallow' Mannarino: Originally an associate of the Genovese Family, possibly with the Gallo crew. He drove Vincent Palermo to the scene of a murder circa late 1970s (this might be a reference to the Suarato hit). Also said to have committed an armed robbery in the late 1970s where the victim's ear was cut off. Later released to the DeCavs and inducted circa 1983, replacing John Riggi's father Emanuel who died that March. Mannarino's captain was Rudolph Farone. Around the early 1990s most of Farone's guys were split up due to Farone's behavior (alcoholic) and Mannarino was put with DeCavalcante Captain Vincent 'Vinny Ocean' Palermo.

- William Cutolo and Robert DiBernardo were both initially associates of DeCavalcante Family Captain Frank Cocchiaro. Around the mid-1970s they were released to Colombo/Gambino Families.

- Charles Majuri and Liborio 'Barney' Bellomo are apparently first cousins. Majuri's Corleone background has come up before so this relationship might already be known.

- Meeting held during Colombo war between DeCavs and Orena faction at a social club believed controlled by Joseph Scopo. Those present included John D'Amato for the DeCavs. Approximately two dozen Orena faction members present and the atmosphere was described as very tense. D'Amato voiced the DeCavs support for the Orena faction.

- Around mid 1990s Unspecified Male (UM) assaulted with barstool inside Beaches club/restaurant in South Beach, SI. Location controlled by DeCavalcante Soldier Anthony Capo. Perpetrator, identified as Michael 'Mickey' Souza, later summoned back to club and taken into backroom where Capo began hitting him with the same barstool. Souza fled on foot and chased down by Capo associates Victor DiChiara and Simone Esposito, after which Capo pulled out a knife and held it to Souza's throat. Souza's brother Anthony arrived and asked Capo to stop. Capo responded with something like 'Plead for your brother's life and I won't kill him' and made the brother beg him not to do it before leaving scene. Afterwards Souza brothers reached out to Genovese Soldier John Giglio. A meeting was held between Genovese/DeCavs at SI baseball field. Giglio argued the assault inside Beaches only happened because UM made an insulting remark to female relative of Capo's and Souza was sticking up for her. No further action taken. Years later Simone Esposito was released from the DeCavs and became a made member of the Bonanno Family.

- John Giglio mentioned above aka 'Johnny Bull' or 'Little John' is a member of the Genovese Family formerly under Mickey Dimino (Michele Generoso) and later with 'Tico' (Anthony Antico). Giglio's father, also a Genovese member, was supposedly murdered inside of a social club by members of that Family. The rumor was that the victim was dismembered and the killer(s) transported the pieces out of the club hidden inside joker poker machines.

Is there anything out there re the Giglio murder, or the victim's Genovese membership? First I've read on it, and it's vaguely similar to the Zappola Sr. murder.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Thanks for identifying exactly how the Majuri and Bellomo families are connected. I did some social media sleuthing a few years back and think I mentioned on here that the two families were close but I wasn't sure how. First cousins, though, wow.

I knew about DiBernardo but that's big about Cutolo. Cocchiaro was described as having a handful of tough younger up-and-coming associates in his crew but DiBernardo was the only one mentioned... I wouldn't have imagined Cutolo would be one of the other ones. I wonder if Bill Jr. is still reading the board.

Glad to see you around and thanks for sharing your research.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Thanks for sharing info JD.
- John Giglio mentioned above aka 'Johnny Bull' or 'Little John' is a member of the Genovese Family formerly under Mickey Dimino (Michele Generoso) and later with 'Tico' (Anthony Antico). Giglio's father, also a Genovese member, was supposedly murdered inside of a social club by members of that Family. The rumor was that the victim was dismembered and the killer(s) transported the pieces out of the club hidden inside joker poker machines.
This refers of course to John Giglio, the one who was born around 1958, and not the more famous one (the father) who was killed in 1988.
- William Cutolo and Robert DiBernardo were both initially associates of DeCavalcante Family Captain Frank Cocchiaro. Around the mid-1970s they were released to Colombo/Gambino Families.
When Cutolo was indicted for murder in 1975 (with George Tropiano, described as Cutolo´s godfather) he was listed as a Colombo associate. So I assume he must have switched affiliation to the Colombos just prior. Tropiano being his godfather, means that Cutolo must have had close links to the Colombos as a child already, unless godfather in this case means goombah or mob superior.
it's [Giglio Sr´s murder] vaguely similar to the Zappola Sr. murder.
For those who don´t know about Zappola, his chopped off head and a hand was found on a Long Island beach in July 1982. He had been shot three times in the head. Gravano testified (or it came out during the Gigante trials) that Zappola had been a Genovese member.
There you have it, never printed before.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Great info JD.

Fascinating about Dib and Cutolo. That two Decav associates would play such instrumental roles in two other families. How much differently the history books would read if they were never released and were made with that family.

Majuri and Bellomo is an interesting connection.
Is this enough basis to speculate that the Genovese would now influence the DeCavalcantes replacing the Gambinos?
The Westside are huge in Jersey with the Gambinos practically nonexistent in addition.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
LcnBios
Straightened out

Post by LcnBios »

- Anthony 'Marshmallow' Mannarino: Originally an associate of the Genovese Family, possibly with the Gallo crew.
Clarification on this: Mannarino was associated with Genovese member Pasquale 'Patty Mack' Macchirole, not the Gallos.

DeCavs-NY:

- Bonannos: Around 1998 the Bonanno and DeCavalcante Families became partners in smuggling persian rugs into the US. The scheme was brought to Bonanno Underboss Salvatore Vitale by DeCav Acting Admin Vincent Palermo. The rugs were purchased in Canada and transported into Manhattan where Palermo had a buyer lined up. The plan was authorized by Bonanno Boss Joseph Massino and profits were split between Massino, Vitale, Consigliere Anthony Spero and Captain Gerlando Sciascia. Not long after the operation started there was talk about the DeCavs wanting the Canadians to start bringing drugs in as part of the shipments and this led to some kind of disagreement between the various parties involved. Around the same time one of the trucks carrying the persian rugs was supposedly caught at the border and the whole operation was called off.

- Bonannos: Around 1999 Anthony Cannoli (ph) was proposed for membership in the Bonanno Family and a list with his name was circulated to each of the Families. DeCav Soldier Joseph Sclafani, then a member of Larry Schiro's crew, objected to Cannoli and claimed he filed a police report on someone in Florida. The DeCavs reached out to Bonanno Captain Joseph 'Joe Desi' DeSimone and set up a meeting where Sclafani explained his complaint. A meeting was subsequently held between Vincent Palermo and Bonanno Underboss Salvatore Vitale and the proposed member was 'knocked down' from consideration. [Possibly Lino associate Anthony Canale]

Also have some random info re Genovese. Posting it here, but if anyone wants to make a similar info thread for that Family we can move this over. No further details (ie dates/identifying info) included:

- Albert 'Blast' Gallo's captain at one point was Lawrence 'Little Larry' Dentico

- Alan 'Baldy' Longo's early captain was Toddo Marino

- Genovese Members inducted circa 2000/early 2001: Johnny Hollwood LNU, Sally Strudo (ph), Alex Conaglaro [Conigliaro], Abie Collomine (ph).

- John Cassano (1938-2007) was a Genovese member. Dominick Cimato (1935-1998) a possibility but membership not specified one way or the other.
AlexfromSouth
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by AlexfromSouth »

Joe Thin ear Sclafani was also one of those members from Brooklyn, but I think he was with the Gambino's before going to the DeCavs.. why do you think he went to the DeCavs, were his roots from Ribera?
Chaps
Straightened out

Post by Chaps »

AlexfromSouth wrote:Joe Thin ear Sclafani was also one of those members from Brooklyn, but I think he was with the Gambino's before going to the DeCavs.. why do you think he went to the DeCavs, were his roots from Ribera?
Yes. According to Rotondo testimony Sclafani family roots were in Ribera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
AlexfromSouth
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by AlexfromSouth »

Chaps wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:42 am
AlexfromSouth wrote:Joe Thin ear Sclafani was also one of those members from Brooklyn, but I think he was with the Gambino's before going to the DeCavs.. why do you think he went to the DeCavs, were his roots from Ribera?
Yes. According to Rotondo testimony Sclafani family roots were in Ribera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
But he was from Brooklyn and with the Gambino's at first, right? Does it happen to say what crew?