General Mob Questions

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

TallGuy19
Full Patched

Re: General Mob Questions

Post by TallGuy19 »

Also, here is an interview with former mob associate Herbie Gross talking about Valvano biting a guy's ear off:

https://amp.reddit.com/r/Mafia/comments ... nny_story/

This is a newspaper article about Valvano:

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/8131209 ... ark-press/

New York Times article that mentions Valvano:

https://www.nytimes.com/1972/02/17/arch ... tolen.html
"A thug changes, and love changes, and best friends become strangers. Word up."
aleksandrored
Full Patched

Post by aleksandrored »

Thanks a lot man!!!
zutano
Prospect

Post by zutano »

I read an article recently that said Frank Balistrieri was close to getting a seat on the commission. 3 Qs- a) Is that true? b) Were there ever actually votes in which non-NY commission members were counted? c) In Galante's case, I think Persico said "I voted against him getting hurt". Would Bruno, Patriarca, Chicago, or any non-NY guy be informed beforehand or have a say?
TallGuy19
Full Patched

Post by TallGuy19 »

I doubt any of the smaller families had a say in Commission decisions. After the murder of Angelo Bruno, Phil Testa was appointed by the Commission without any input from the Philadelphia family. After Testa was murdered, Nicky Scarfo was appointed boss simply because he was close to the Genovese hierarchy. Similarly, John Stanfa was appointed boss because of his relationship with ranking members of the Gambinos.

If a family doesn't even have a say in who takes over as their boss, it's hard to imagine that they would have influence over other decisions.
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

zutano wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:26 am I read an article recently that said Frank Balistrieri was close to getting a seat on the commission. 3 Qs- a) Is that true? b) Were there ever actually votes in which non-NY commission members were counted? c) In Galante's case, I think Persico said "I voted against him getting hurt". Would Bruno, Patriarca, Chicago, or any non-NY guy be informed beforehand or have a say?
Chicago always had a say because it was the only non-New York family sitting on The Commission since 1931 until its dismantlement. For the Galante decision supposedly Tony Corallo, Frank Tieri, Joey Aiuppa voted yes, with Persico being the only person who was against it. Families that don't have a seat make their opinion known through whatever family represents them in The Commission. For Milwaukee, that should be Chicago. If Balistrieri was considered as a potential permanent member of The Commission, it would be likely around the time when Bruno and Joe Zerilli got their seats.
Amershire_Ed
Full Patched

Post by Amershire_Ed »

Pennisi said on one of the Button Man shows that when he was still in the life they talked about the lack of recruits. He actually had a conversation with Mikey DeSantis about it in a social club with a few other guys.

It got me thinking. Theres what, 700-800 made guys in the 5 families. How many would you guess are under the age of 40?
TallGuy19
Full Patched

Post by TallGuy19 »

Amershire_Ed wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:47 pm Pennisi said on one of the Button Man shows that when he was still in the life they talked about the lack of recruits. He actually had a conversation with Mikey DeSantis about it in a social club with a few other guys.

It got me thinking. Theres what, 700-800 made guys in the 5 families. How many would you guess are under the age of 40?
Not many. According to Pogo's family charts there is only one in the Lucchese family, and a lot of those ages are off by a few years, so there might not be any now. The rest of the families might have a few.

Most guys are at least in their thirties by the time they get made though, and that's pretty much how it's always been. I think having more mature and experienced members is part of the Mafia's strength.
cobra
Straightened out

Post by cobra »

-i am looking a chart like so for all usa families:
-year/period created
-estimated max members
-year/period max members
-year/period last legal cases
-estimated members today (better to list high and low estimate)
-extinct year/period
OcSleeper
Full Patched

Post by OcSleeper »

cobra wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:34 am -i am looking a chart like so for all usa families:
-year/period created
-estimated max members
-year/period max members
-year/period last legal cases
-estimated members today (better to list high and low estimate)
-extinct year/period
Have you checked the mafia chart tab here already? Pretty sure you can find everything you're looking for there except for the last legal cases

viewforum.php?f=32
Shellackhead
Full Patched

Post by Shellackhead »

How much power did LCN have pre 1970s? How far did their influence reach from the 30s to late 60s?
Momo
Straightened out

Post by Momo »

What happened to Lefty's kid? Is he still alive?
“It’s easy to kill somebody,” - Joey Merlino
Dave65827
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Dave65827 »

Are there any Franzese relatives still in the life ?
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

Shellackhead wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:10 pm How much power did LCN have pre 1970s? How far did their influence reach from the 30s to late 60s?
It gets murkier the farther back you go. Personally, I think they peaked in the mid-1950s.
Momo wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:24 am What happened to Lefty's kid? Is he still alive?
If I remember correctly, his stepson Tommy was murdered alongside Jerry Chilli's son in the mid-1980s.
Momo
Straightened out

Post by Momo »

eboli wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:59 pm
Shellackhead wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:10 pm How much power did LCN have pre 1970s? How far did their influence reach from the 30s to late 60s?
It gets murkier the farther back you go. Personally, I think they peaked in the mid-1950s.
Momo wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:24 am What happened to Lefty's kid? Is he still alive?
If I remember correctly, his stepson Tommy was murdered alongside Jerry Chilli's son in the mid-1980s.
Oh, so it was his stepson. I thought he was his biological son because in the hospital scene of the Donnie Brasco, he said something like "He’s at same place he was born after 26 years" .

Thanks.
“It’s easy to kill somebody,” - Joey Merlino
slimshady_007
Full Patched

Post by slimshady_007 »

Whats happening with Anthony Comello? Last I heard he was declared mentally unfit to stand trial. Is he on released/ on house arrest?
Wise men listen and laugh, while fools talk.