Bonanno 1960s chart

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Bonanno 1960s chart

Post by B. »

Good connections.

Speaking of Paceco, listened to an interview last night with actor Michael Badalucco (brother of Joe, who played Jimmy Altieri on Sopranos) and he said their family comes from Paceco and kept ties to relatives there. He's visited a couple times and sees himself as Sicilian opposed to Italian. Said his father Giuseppe came to the US in his 40s but wasn't comfortable explaining why (family issues? legal trouble? no idea) and worked as a carpenter for show biz sets.

Was surprised "Jimmy Altieri" is Trapanese.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:01 pm Good connections.

Speaking of Paceco, listened to an interview last night with actor Michael Badalucco (brother of Joe, who played Jimmy Altieri on Sopranos) and he said their family comes from Paceco and kept ties to relatives there. He's visited a couple times and sees himself as Sicilian opposed to Italian. Said his father Giuseppe came to the US in his 40s but wasn't comfortable explaining why (family issues? legal trouble? no idea) and worked as a carpenter for show biz sets.

Was surprised "Jimmy Altieri" is Trapanese.
Interesting. Yeah, if “Jimmy Altieri” had been a real guy he’d have been Napolitan’.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

Anyone familiar with Anthony Raimondi? He's listed on Bonanno charts starting in 1966, and up to at least 1970 but I haven't found any other trace. The source that identified him was BS 837-C*, which I assume is a Patriarca bug.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

He was present at Evola's funeral, so he was still alive by 73.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

Not sure if this has been discovered before, but Carl Simari's birth name was Carlo Politano. His father was a Frank Politano, who was shot and killed in New Castle, Pennsylvania in 1926.
Politano 1.jpg
Frank was born 1/22/1886, and was married to Mary(Born 1896) according to the article/1920 census. In 1920 they were living in Mahoning, Armstrong, Pennsylvania. At some point they moved to New Castle, outside of Pittsburgh.

However, by 1930 Carlo shows up in Buffalo under the name Carlo Simari, his stepfather being Anthony James Simari, but his mother is now listed as Silvia/Sophia Capolupo, who looks to be born in 1905. On his WWII draft card, Carlo has his name as Carlo Politanio, and his mother as Silvia Sophia Simari.

I've tried untangling this knot, but it's a little confusing to say the least. I can't find where Politano was from, and I'm not sure what to make of who Carlo's mother was if anyone more skilled wants to take a crack at it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

thekiduknow wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:59 pm Not sure if this has been discovered before, but Carl Simari's birth name was Carlo Politano. His father was a Frank Politano, who was shot and killed in New Castle, Pennsylvania in 1926.

Politano 1.jpg

Frank was born 1/22/1886, and was married to Mary(Born 1896) according to the article/1920 census. In 1920 they were living in Mahoning, Armstrong, Pennsylvania. At some point they moved to New Castle, outside of Pittsburgh.

However, by 1930 Carlo shows up in Buffalo under the name Carlo Simari, his stepfather being Anthony James Simari, but his mother is now listed as Silvia/Sophia Capolupo, who looks to be born in 1905. On his WWII draft card, Carlo has his name as Carlo Politanio, and his mother as Silvia Sophia Simari.

I've tried untangling this knot, but it's a little confusing to say the least. I can't find where Politano was from, and I'm not sure what to make of who Carlo's mother was if anyone more skilled wants to take a crack at it.
Forgot to add that on Carlo's SSDI, it lists his step father and Sophia/Silvia Capolupo as his parents. I think I found a death certificate for one of Frank Politano's children, also named Frank(died at 9 months old), that lists his wife as as a Maria Capolupo, which might be the same Mary listed in the census/article. Still don't know if Mary and Sophia/Silvia are the same person, or maybe they were sisters and she adopted Carlo?
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

thekiduknow wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:12 pm
thekiduknow wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:59 pm Not sure if this has been discovered before, but Carl Simari's birth name was Carlo Politano. His father was a Frank Politano, who was shot and killed in New Castle, Pennsylvania in 1926.

Politano 1.jpg

Forgot to add that on Carlo's SSDI, it lists his step father and Sophia/Silvia Capolupo as his parents. I think I found a death certificate for one of Frank Politano's children, also named Frank(died at 9 months old), that lists his wife as as a Maria Capolupo, which might be the same Mary listed in the census/article. Still don't know if Mary and Sophia/Silvia are the same person, or maybe they were sisters and she adopted Carlo?
Without looking into their genealogy, I can tell you that his parents were quite possible Calabresi. Capolupo is a mainlander surname well represented in Calabria. While Politano is found a bit in Catania/Messina (which have close ties to Calabria), it is much more common in Calabria. His stepfather’s name Simari is also a Calabrian name. The fact that the family was in areas of Western PA that had major Calabrian settlement is unsurprising.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:40 pm
thekiduknow wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:12 pm

Politano 1.jpg

Without looking into their genealogy, I can tell you that his parents were quite possible Calabresi. Capolupo is a mainlander surname well represented in Calabria. While Politano is found a bit in Catania/Messina (which have close ties to Calabria), it is much more common in Calabria. His stepfather’s name Simari is also a Calabrian name. The fact that the family was in areas of Western PA that had major Calabrian settlement is unsurprising.
Thanks, definitely sounds like he was Calabrian.

I think I found Anthony Simari's naturalization, it says he was born in "St. Pietro", which after googling seems to be San Pietro in Guarano in Calabria. He was naturalized in Pittsburgh, so he must have married Carlo's mother there and moved to Buffalo sometime before 1930.

This makes Bill's comment that Simari and Hank Perrone were from the "toughest neighborhoods in Brooklyn" interesting. From what I can tell Simari seems to have moved from Buffalo to Los Angeles to Tucson and got hooked up with the Bonannos there.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Great info as always.

Would have liked to hear Joe or Bill's thoughts on why so many of their loyalists were non-Castellammarese who came up outside of NYC. It's like all the misfits loved Bonanno.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:52 pm Great info as always.

Would have liked to hear Joe or Bill's thoughts on why so many of their loyalists were non-Castellammarese who came up outside of NYC. It's like all the misfits loved Bonanno.
Given that Simari's real father was killed when he was young, maybe he was looking for a Father figure.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

Great info gentlemen, I had no idea that Simari was Calabrian. I never really looked but I think he must be one of the rare non-Sicilians among the Bonannos
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

Thinking about it more, Simari may be another one who was made after 57. I’d need check, but it looks like he moved to Arizona in the early 60s, and is described as a “Tucson button” in the mid 60s.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

If I had to guess I'd say Simari may have been recruited through Battaglia given they were both Buffalo guys who went to LA and ended up in Arizona.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Top (Before anyone asks, boxes on the right are Bonanno's predecessors - Caruso (Acting), Maranzano, Schiro, Digaetano and Orlando

When it comes to captains, I believe you indicated you wanted them to be close in proximity to their crews. I clocked 16 crews which is alot, other factors that I have to consider/deal with is that some crews are 1-3 members while others are 15+, some capos have no crew listed.

With Detroit and the Gams I placed the capos in their own section with present on the left and former on the right:

But I believe you're thinking is along the lines of this:
In which case, under the admin, each capo/crew will be its own section and not lumped under the admin but over the captains like with Detroit/Gambinos.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

Maybe something like the Genovese chart, where the captains are laid out below the admin, and the crews below that. Might be easier laying out the large crews, and for captains without a known crew there just wouldn't be a section for them.

For the soldiers we don't have a crew for, should we break them down by area like the Gambinos?