I almost hate to say it....

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Re: I almost hate to say it....

Post by HairyKnuckles »

CabriniGreen wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:09 am Was Anthony Carillo Mike Miranda's guy?
Yes. Why?
There you have it, never printed before.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

There is an old Time magazine as article from the 60s, speculating on the line of succession in the Genovese Family.

They had Lombardo, Eboli, DeFeo, Catena.....

What threw me was that they included Anthony Carillo in the group. Before that article, I had never heard of him being " Boss Material".

It reminded me of a Vito Genovese quote from I think the 30s I read, somewhere....he said " There are really four guys who run NYC city, me, Luciano, Dutch Schultz, and Mike Miranda.."

You never really hear about Miranda, or his proteges/succesors, I guess I was looking for a little more on the guy....

here's the Time article, the zoom really helps...

https://books.google.com/books?id=r1IEA ... se&f=false
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

I remember a couple things sticking out, like they described Lombardo as a " dark horse" candidate...

Only other young guy mentioned was Carillo, but they said he was locked up in Italy on narco conspiracy, anyone know the story there?
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Oh, one more point, in the Brasco book, I th hought it was very telling when Lefty said something like.." Funzi got knocked down, Paul and Niel have the power now"...

It does seem to hint that Tieri was the Commisions most powerful figure...
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

well, I guess Carillo wasnt that young, lol
JIGGS
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JIGGS »

Selig wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:49 am I don't believe Catena was underated. I think he is very overated presently. While he was a very rich guy, I think his lack of connections and his inability to understand mob politics made him a liability.
HELLO!

I know this is a late there response there to a topic from some years back. But I gotta ask you, or whoever cares to illuminize me about this:

"While he was a very rich guy, I think his lack of connections and his inability to understand mob politics made him a liability."

lack of connections? inabilitation to understand mon politics? How the heck did ya come up with that analization?

Are you related to the eboli family?

JIGGS
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

JIGGS wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:59 pm
Selig wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:49 am I don't believe Catena was underated. I think he is very overated presently. While he was a very rich guy, I think his lack of connections and his inability to understand mob politics made him a liability.
HELLO!

I know this is a late there response there to a topic from some years back. But I gotta ask you, or whoever cares to illuminize me about this:

"While he was a very rich guy, I think his lack of connections and his inability to understand mob politics made him a liability."

lack of connections? inabilitation to understand mon politics? How the heck did ya come up with that analization?

JIGGS
That description above doesn't apply to Catena at all. No idea where that came from. But I don't think he was ever the boss.
All roads lead to New York.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

Wiseguy wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:49 pm
HELLO!

JIGGS
That description above doesn't apply to Catena at all. No idea where that came from. But I don't think he was ever the boss.
Even acting boss??
JIGGS
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JIGGS »

HELLO!

JIGGS
My guess is the jerry catena was defactum boss acting or otherwise up to a certain point. Reading this thread it says ben turpin was declared boss in '65. But I remembering reading the papers in '69 and the press had already id'd the tieri to be the succesor boss of the genovese. I know them tapes in the 80s of tony ducks and tony salerno give weight to what mr. cafaro was saying about ben being the power behind funzual. But I look at it a little like the u.s. Govt admin. You got your president trump (funzi), the vp pence (eboli), the attorney general (zeccardi, paddy mack, la placa), your john kelly (vinny giganti), you got your stephen miller (bobby manna), the press secretary (fat tony), the jew son-in-law (catena) and the daughter Ivanka (cockeyed phil). Theres the guys who hold power and authority by the titles they hold. There positions are unquestioneable as far as rank. But then you got the the guys like the son-in-law and trumps daughter. Who got no rank but have a shit barrel load a influence. So when you look at the set up and relationships, ya ask whose got more power between the fucks??? Which a these guys got the trumps (the boss) ear??? Whose the boss (funzi trump) gonna listen to a whole lot more closely and consider before anyone else? The vp? (Eboli) Attorney general?(eli z) the press secretary? (fat sarah huckleberry salerno)........ Or the jew son in law (catena) that's wedded to cockeye ivanka turpin???......... In other words its the skirt (ivanka) who is just as powerful and influential in matters of u.s. (West side) policy and what not than the fat tony (aka huck sanders) OR tommy ryan (pence).

You follow?

JIGGS
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

JIGGS wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:44 pm
HELLO!

JIGGS
My guess is the jerry catena was defactum boss acting or otherwise up to a certain point. Reading this thread it says ben turpin was declared boss in '65. But I remembering reading the papers in '69 and the press had already id'd the tieri to be the succesor boss of the genovese. I know them tapes in the 80s of tony ducks and tony salerno give weight to what mr. cafaro was saying about ben being the power behind funzual. But I look at it a little like the u.s. Govt admin. You got your president trump (funzi), the vp pence (eboli), the attorney general (zeccardi, paddy mack, la placa), your john kelly (vinny giganti), you got your stephen miller (bobby manna), the press secretary (fat tony), the jew son-in-law (catena) and the daughter Ivanka (cockeyed phil). Theres the guys who hold power and authority by the titles they hold. There positions are unquestioneable as far as rank. But then you got the the guys like the son-in-law and trumps daughter. Who got no rank but have a shit barrel load a influence. So when you look at the set up and relationships, ya ask whose got more power between the fucks??? Which a these guys got the trumps (the boss) ear??? Whose the boss (funzi trump) gonna listen to a whole lot more closely and consider before anyone else? The vp? (Eboli) Attorney general?(eli z) the press secretary? (fat sarah huckleberry salerno)........ Or the jew son in law (catena) that's wedded to cockeye ivanka turpin???......... In other words its the skirt (ivanka) who is just as powerful and influential in matters of u.s. (West side) policy and what not than the fat tony (aka huck sanders) OR tommy ryan (pence).

You follow?

JIGGS
Lol of course I follow, I've been married for 35 years.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Frank wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:20 pmEven acting boss??
According to hearings in the late 1970s and early 1980s, he was identified as underboss, acting boss, and consigliere at different times. But seemingly never official boss.
All roads lead to New York.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

JIGGS wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:44 pm But I remembering reading the papers in 69
😂😂😂

You kill me Jiggsy boy.

Honest to goodness you do.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

Wiseguy wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:28 pm
According to hearings in the late 1970s and early 1980s, he was identified as underboss, acting boss, and consigliere at different times. But seemingly never official boss.
Thats the first I've heard of him being consigliere.It doesn't surprise me if he was never official boss, thats always a confusing mess. As is the consigliere position after Miranda. Did they give any dates?
JIGGS
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JIGGS »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:17 pm
JIGGS wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:44 pm But I remembering reading the papers in 69
😂😂😂

You kill me Jiggsy boy.

Honest to goodness you do.
Trust me. I would love to light you on fire and feed you to the homeless.

It was right after the don vitone passed away. It was in all the papers. That was the first time I had ever heard of funzi tieri. I know he came out on the papers before that. Some boxing probe. But I came to learn it yrs. later. In a way it was like barney. Who came out a nowhere. Just like the funzual.

Can somebody look that up please? Tieri being described as new boss in 1969? Was in all the papers I tell ya.

JIGGS
JIGGS
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JIGGS »

Wiseguy wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:28 pm
The papers had him as boss but said he was sick and getting on in age. That's when they dropped tieri's name as succeeding him. I forgot his first name but there was a kid named Moran who was a regular on the mob beat. Kinda like capeci. Didn't exagerrate or bullshit the public like vic riesel or nick pileggi who were the more well known cosa nostra tabloid spin doctors.

JIGGS