Some DeCavalcante Family Info (1980s-1990s)

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Some DeCavalcante Family Info (1980s-1990s)

Post by B. »

Chaps wrote:B:

Looking at your origin chart, you have Joseph Caruano listed as being of Ribera descent. This may be Majuri's link to Ribera we've been looking for.
Yes! I think you've found at least one of the connections. It's been surprisingly difficult for me to find info on Charlie Majuri's mother's side of the family. On top of that, I learned through social media creeping that Charlie Majuri's daughter has Ribera heritage to some degree.

The following last names in Elizabeth and NJ are also related somehow to the Majuris. Probably not blood in all or even most cases, but at least marriage:

- LaMela (JD has found that they have mainland heritage)
- DeMaio (same as Anthony DeMaio Sr.)
- Rizzuto*
- Renda*
- Ricardo

* - Probably no connection to the famous Montreal Rendas and Rizzutos, as these are common names throughout Agrigento. The ones who live in Jersey are no doubt from Agrigento but probably not Cattolica Eraclea.
Chaps
Straightened out

Post by Chaps »

I'll post in a separately any info I get out of Louis Larasso's file. One constant thread that runs throughout the file is that he was not well liked and seemed to cause alot of trouble. This seems to be in line with what other sources have said about him even into the 90's.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Chaps wrote:I'll post in a separately any info I get out of Louis Larasso's file. One constant thread that runs throughout the file is that he was not well liked and seemed to cause alot of trouble. This seems to be in line with what other sources have said about him even into the 90's.
Both Sam DeCavalcante and John Riggi seemed to like him, which counted for quite a bit since they were the bosses, but outside of that everything I've seen puts him in a negative light. I'd assume Nick DelMore and/or Phil Amari also liked him given that he was a young underboss in the 1950s. Not sure why he was well-liked by the family leaders but hated by the rank and file.
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

So earlier while talking about frank polizzi i found out he went down in the pizza connection case.. How many other decavs went down on that bust?

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
Chaps
Straightened out

Post by Chaps »

JeremyTheJew wrote:So earlier while talking about frank polizzi i found out he went down in the pizza connection case.. How many other decavs went down on that bust?

None. He was the only one. Polizzi has always interested me due to that fact. He was made into that Family but was not from Ribera. I've requested his FBI file and hope to learn more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

He was made in likr the 60s i believe? Or was he made w sam decav?

HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Chaps wrote:I've requested his FBI file and hope to learn more.

Thanks for thi. I'd be interested if it contains anything about him allegedly being Acting Boss in the 70s. Hopefully it clears up whether he was or if it was just BS.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Doobeez
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Doobeez »

Skimming through some MF files last night, and came across a list from 1967 with DeCav members and proposed/suspected members. Probably been covered earlier in the thread, but thought I'd post the link just the same (Pages 14&15)

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... 4&tab=page
LcnBios
Straightened out

Post by LcnBios »

1970s:

- Girolamo Palermo confirmed made 1976.

- Robert 'Bobby Basil' Occhipinti was inducted mid-to-late 1976. Joseph LaSala confirmed as made guy and possibly inducted at the same time. Info from a member source, and assuming it's correct that would put Vincent Palermo's induction more likely to be 1977. He had been a member for at least a year when Suarato was hit in 1978.

- Meetings held 12/76 where DeCavalcante announced John Riggi as his acting boss. All DeCav members from NJ, NY and CT attended and were taken to the location in groups.

- Those made circa Fall 1977: Jake Amari, Joseph Ippolito, Simone Palermo, Manny Riggi (not necessarily same ceremony).

- Charles Majuri was 'knocked down' for consideration in the first wave of inductions in 1976.

- Alessio Barrasso: Previous info listed him and Salvatore Caterinicchi as former NY Family members. Barrasso shows up on the Valachi charts as an NJ based Genovese, but we know now that Valachi thought just about every NJ based member was with Boiardo. Better info now available on Barrasso and claims he was made into the Colombo Family, close to the Lombardinos, and transferred to the DeCavs by the 1950s. He died in 1988.

- 1980s: Michael Aquilante confirmed made DeCav member, active in CT. His brother John was supposedly made into the Los Angeles Family.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

JD wrote:- 1980s: Michael Aquilante confirmed made DeCav member, active in CT. His brother John was supposedly made into the Los Angeles Family.

John Aquilante was the Capo of the San Diego Crew. He died in 1996. Strange how they ended up in different families across the country.

Great info JD. 8-)

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Would be good to know more about Barrasso's background pre-1960s. I'd only heard of him from the 1960s when he was involved in operations with other DeCav members, but he lived in Bloomfield which is not typical DeCav territory. Strange how most of the post-1930s transfers involving NY families are with the Colombos. Do you know where Barrasso or his family comes from? Most of the people with similar names who fit his father's (Giovanni/John I believe) age range seem to be from Campania.

Also we can officially bank on the books being closed for NJ during the same years as NY, assuming there weren't some ceremonies in the late 1950s or early 1960s before DeCavalcante took over.
Chaps
Straightened out

Post by Chaps »

Was reviewing some FBI files dealing with onetime DeCavalcante Caporegime Joseph "Joe Low" Lolordo and came across an interesting piece of genealogical information I've not seen posted previously.

According to an informant in an FBI document from 1967:

On January 4, 1967, NY T-2 advised that JOSEPH LoLORDO, who is now retired as a laborer out of Local 394, is a brother-in-law of the late PHIL AMARI.

Interesting piece if info I wasn't aware of.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Chaps wrote:Was reviewing some FBI files dealing with onetime DeCavalcante Caporegime Joseph "Joe Low" Lolordo and came across an interesting piece of genealogical information I've not seen posted previously.

According to an informant in an FBI document from 1967:

On January 4, 1967, NY T-2 advised that JOSEPH LoLORDO, who is now retired as a laborer out of Local 394, is a brother-in-law of the late PHIL AMARI.

Interesting piece if info I wasn't aware of.
Very good info, thanks for sharing that. I believe there are a lot more relations on top of the many connections we already know about. I have reason to believe that Phil Bacino is related to the Riggis for example but I need more info.

Pasquale LoLordo could have been an early boss of the US Ribera network, however you want to define it. Or if there were regional limitations on these positions, he may have held an early position with this group when he lived in NYC. He's said to be a very high-ranking member in the Chicago area up to his death but his exact affiliation is never defined, only that he was a top figure.
AlexfromSouth
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by AlexfromSouth »

B. wrote:Just offhand, here are where some of those guys (or their families) are from, with a couple corrections as well:

Messina
Timpani-Salvatore

Caltabellotta
Ferrara-Joseph (possible)
Ippolito-Joseph (possible)
Noto-Daniel (possible)

Ribera
Caruano-Joseph
Giacobbe-Joseph Jnr.
Giacobbe-Joseph Snr.
Giacobbe-Leonardo
Giacobbe-Pietro
Giuliano- ?
Cottone-Nicholas (most likely)
Gaurraggi-Girolamo (most likely)
Larusso-Luciano
Merlo-Joseph [3]
Merlo-Joseph Jnr.
Merlo-Joseph Snr.
Merlo-Michael
Occhipinti-Robert (possible)
Palermo-Girolamo
Palermo-Simone
Schifilliti-Giuseppe
Sclafani-Joseph
Sferra-Joseph (most likely)

Agrigento
Louis DiGiovanna

Mainland
Caruso-Anthony
LaSelva-Anthony
LaSelva-Joseph
LaSelva-Thomas
Nigro-Frank (possible if he's related to most of the other Elizabeth Nigros)
B. do you maybe have some info on where in Brooklyn was Joseph thin ear Sclafani from? Read somewhere that Jimmy Ocean was from bath beach. Maybe Sclafani was from South brooklyn I know that the Decavs had a club on 5th ave Park slope. Thanks.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Sorry, I don't know where Sclafani is from. Unfortunately it's a very common name and most of the info that's easy to find on him is dominated by the usual "Real Sopranos" and "Made Men" type stuff.