Visiting the West Side 1963

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Antiliar
Full Patched

Re: Visiting the West Side 1963

Post by Antiliar »

Gelis wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:29 pm With Accardi being one of those "The Boot" was warring with in the 1930's while Accardi was in the Newark Family, according to Valachi, is it likely he would join the Genovese ?
Particularly as he was said to be close with Lucchese
The Boot wasn't with the Genovese at that time. Accardi and the other Newark members were split up after the attempted murder of Gaspare D'Amico in February 1937.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

Antiliar wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:47 pm Found this from a CIA document. It says the Campisis, associated with the Genoveses, were part of Settimo Accardo's group. Also says the Buias, but I don't know anything about them.
Accardo, Settimo - CIA Fight Against OC (1967).jpg
I can’t find much information on them.

Matildo Buia

- 18/10/1907, Castellammare- 23/11/1988, NYC
- Lived on 203 Prince St., Manhattan
- Narcotics arrests in 1933, 1938, and 1955

Angelo Buia

- 26/7/1910; Nice, FR- 3/5/2003; Montgomery MD
- Lived on 710 Lexington Ave., Manhattan
- Narcotic arrests in 1955 and 1962

They’ve never been mentioned as Newark members but their circle largely consisted of ex-Newark guys: Accardi Bros, Campisis, etc.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

Antiliar wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:47 pm Found this from a CIA document. It says the Campisis, associated with the Genoveses, were part of Settimo Accardo's group. Also says the Buias, but I don't know anything about them.
Accardo, Settimo - CIA Fight Against OC (1967).jpg
I can’t find much information on them.

Matildo Buia

- 18/10/1907, Castellammare- 23/11/1988, NYC
- Lived on 203 Prince St., Manhattan
- Narcotics arrests in 1933, 1938, and 1955

Angelo Buia

- 26/7/1910; Nice, FR- 3/5/2003; Montgomery MD
- Lived on 710 Lexington Ave., Manhattan
- Narcotic arrests in 1955 and 1962

They’ve never been mentioned as Newark members but their circle largely consisted of ex-Newark guys: Accardi Bros, Campisis, etc.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

B. wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:32 pm Haven't seen that about Riela.

Onofrio Abate was Accardi's brother-in-law from Vita / Tunis and Abate's naturalization was witnessed by Tony Riela's son Andrea, so def a strong connection.

Onofrio has been confused in the past with Giuseppe Abate, who was later the Lucchese NJ captain and came from Marsala but was allegedly a cousin of both Accardi and Onofrio Abate. Carmine Accardi was probably made in the Lucchese Family when Joe Abate was captain.
Anthony Riela told immigration authorities in 1931 that his BIL was Settimo Accardo, but he didn't specify beyond that. I looked through the other subfiles in his subject file set and there were no additional details. Riela's wife was Josephine LaMilia and Accardo was married to Teresa Mineo. It should also be pointed out that Riela stole the identity of a Pietro Riela who was born in 1896 in Terranova, Sicily. Tony Riela was born in 1897 in San Giuseppe Jato and the nephew of Vincenzo Troia. The two of them spent time with Zito and Musso in Rockford and Springfield before coming to NJ. Riela was also in business with Steve Badami until he was killed (whether he was connected to Badami's murder is unknown). After Joe Valachi started informing the FBI gained a jump in knowledge, even more so after they started spying on Russo, Boiardo and Decavalcante. Riela was one of only three Bonanno members in the Newark area, the other two being Angelo Caruso and Joe Zicarelli.

Interesting to note that as late as 1967 the FBI was unable to confirm which borgata Accardo belonged to: https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... ch=accardo
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

Antiliar wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:58 pm
Anthony Riela told immigration authorities in 1931 that his BIL was Settimo Accardo, but he didn't specify beyond that. I looked through the other subfiles in his subject file set and there were no additional details. Riela's wife was Josephine LaMilia and Accardo was married to Teresa Mineo.
That’s pretty strange. Maybe they were related through their siblings and called it BIL

It should also be pointed out that Riela stole the identity of a Pietro Riela who was born in 1896 in Terranova, Sicily. Tony Riela was born in 1897 in San Giuseppe Jato and the nephew of Vincenzo Troia.
Anthony Riela was claiming you be Pietro Riela? Do you know why he would do that? Legal issues under his own identity?
Interesting to note that as late as 1967 the FBI was unable to confirm which borgata Accardo belonged to: https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... ch=accardo
Sam Accardi is way more mysterious than I thought.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Regarding Tony Riela, he immigrated illegally. That's why he stole the identity of someone with a similar name. He wasn't the only one to do it. Chicago boss Felice Delucia, AKA Paul Ricca did it too, and also avoided being deported.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

There was a Riela who testified in one of the cases against the San Giuseppe Jato Family leaders circa 1920s but I couldn't determine via translation whether he gave testiminony that hurt or helped the mafia. Along with the alleged Troia relation, Tony Riela was said to be an older relative of Frank Polizzi, who in turn was related to the Bruscas.

Two different sources also reported a rumor that Accardi was a DEA informant after his deportation. Valachi said Luciano learned about it via his LE contacts and sent word back to the US and Ray DeCarlo said something similar, that Accardi was an informant and would be trying to re-enter the US via Canada. Don't know if it was ever confirmed.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

B. wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:50 pm There was a Riela who testified in one of the cases against the San Giuseppe Jato Family leaders circa 1920s but I couldn't determine via translation whether he gave testiminony that hurt or helped the mafia. Along with the alleged Troia relation, Tony Riela was said to be an older relative of Frank Polizzi, who in turn was related to the Bruscas.

Two different sources also reported a rumor that Accardi was a DEA informant after his deportation. Valachi said Luciano learned about it via his LE contacts and sent word back to the US and Ray DeCarlo said something similar, that Accardi was an informant and would be trying to re-enter the US via Canada. Don't know if it was ever confirmed.
Gonna have to request his file.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Another confusing guy is Albert Barrasso. Listed on the Valachi chart as an NJ Genovese member, but JD had him as an NJ Colombo who transferred to the DeCavalcantes. I've seen reports that just say he was a former member of an unspecified NYC Family who ended up with the DeCavalcantes. However a later informant said Barrasso never officially transferred and was "on loan" to DeCavalcante. Never heard of a "loan" arrangement with a made member, but Barrasso did spend all of his time at DeCavalcante's office and served as his driver. Either way I don't think he was a Genovese member.

Barrasso's brother-in-law is also an enigma, Aniello Santagata. Never confirmed as a made member that I know of, but a major drug trafficker connected to Philly, NYC, and NJ. He was from Maddaloni di Caserta and called "o'Maddalonese" which is interesting because I believe Newark figure Luigi Russo (killed with Newark underboss Monaco) was from Maddaloni. Can't rule Santagata out as a member, maybe he started with Newark, but where he ended up I have no idea
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Don't know anything about Barrasso, but recall that Joe Gurera was on loan from Kansas City to Milwaukee. In an earlier era Nick Gentile wrote about members from New York who appeared to be on loan to Pittsburgh. I'm not sure, but Leo "Lips" Moceri could have been on loan to Los Angeles in the 1930s. Frank Bompensiero was on loan to Tampa in the 1930s to help fight the Klan.

Regarding Santagata, I have heard of him, and like you I'm not sure.

BTW, I put in a request for Settimo Accardo. We'll see how many years it will take to get it.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Joe Gurera actually transferred formally to Milwaukee and was still officially a Milaukee member for at least a couple years after he moved back to KC, as was Balistrere.

I know Moceri was trying to arrange a formal transfer to Los Angeles according to Bomp but I never saw anything about it going through. Does seem he operated in their orbit while he was on the West Coast. Good example with Bomp in Tampa.

Another DeCavalcante example is NJ-based Philadelphia member Louie Luciano. He had some kind of falling out with the Philly leadership and began helping manage Sam D's rackets and was described very similarly to Barrasso, essentially on loan to DeCavalcante. Riela had an interesting relationship to the DeCavalcantes too -- informants said he was like an unofficial "consigliere" to the DeCavs and was tasked with helping run the Family when Sam went to prison but couldn't do so officially because he was a Bonanno member. His alleged nephew Polizzi joined that Family so definitely a strong relationship.

I'm sure this fluidity in relationships added to the confusion over who in Newark reported to which Family. There were a lot of mistakes made about Newark affiliation early on. Same is true for ranks, as Riela was sometimes identified as a capodecina but there's little confirming it. Maybe he was one of Bill B's "captains without a crew".
InCamelot
Straightened out

Post by InCamelot »

eboli wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:58 am
PolackTony wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:21 am Thanks for the info. So, there were like, what, 7-8 "original" crews before the crew splits? Terranova/Coppola/Lombardo crew, Greco crew, Pellegrino crew, Miranda crew (later split), Pisano/Angelina crew, Strollo/Eboli crew, NJ/Moretti crew (later split), Doto/Alo crew, Frasca crew (?), DelDuca crew.

This more or less correct? Any other pre-1960s crews left out? What were the pre-Frasca BK crews -- did Frasca inherit what had originally been, at least in part, Frankie Yale's crew? And the Coppola East Harlem crew was never split, right?
From the ones we can confirm:

Terranova/Coppola/Lombardo
Luciano/Greco
Genovese/Strollo/Eboli
Pellegrino
Miranda
Moretti/Catena/Boiardo
Doto/Alo
Alo also had ties to Pellegrino right?

Is it safe to say through process of elimination that Frank Costello, being an East Harlem guy, may have headed a faction that Pellegrino eventually heads? Just because its the closet group to have Uptown ties other than Coppola/Lombardo who seemed to support Vito Genovese more.
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

InCamelot wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:49 am
eboli wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:58 am
PolackTony wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:21 am Thanks for the info. So, there were like, what, 7-8 "original" crews before the crew splits? Terranova/Coppola/Lombardo crew, Greco crew, Pellegrino crew, Miranda crew (later split), Pisano/Angelina crew, Strollo/Eboli crew, NJ/Moretti crew (later split), Doto/Alo crew, Frasca crew (?), DelDuca crew.

This more or less correct? Any other pre-1960s crews left out? What were the pre-Frasca BK crews -- did Frasca inherit what had originally been, at least in part, Frankie Yale's crew? And the Coppola East Harlem crew was never split, right?
From the ones we can confirm:

Terranova/Coppola/Lombardo
Luciano/Greco
Genovese/Strollo/Eboli
Pellegrino
Miranda
Moretti/Catena/Boiardo
Doto/Alo
Alo also had ties to Pellegrino right?

Is it safe to say through process of elimination that Frank Costello, being an East Harlem guy, may have headed a faction that Pellegrino eventually heads? Just because its the closet group to have Uptown ties other than Coppola/Lombardo who seemed to support Vito Genovese more.
Before getting made in LCN, Pellegrino was a 'combaneesh' member from Upstate New York. His HQ was a bakery in White Plains. I haven't read anything that provides solid details into how he became a captain with influence in Lower Manhattan. I don't think Pellegrino succeeded Costello in heading a faction, but he could've got some of his rackets. I suspect Pellegrino's mafia ascendance has more to do with him and Vito Genovese being ex-combaneesh members, but that's just me guessing.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Frank Costello grew up in East Harlem, but in the 1920s he lived in Astoria, Queens. His main lieutenant was his brother Ed and others named in the rum running indictment from 1926 includes his people as well as Big Bill Dwyer's. Notice the name Frank Nitto. Could this be the future Chicago leader?
Brooklyn NY Daily Eagle 1926Jan26 Costello Dwyer indictments - Frank Nitto.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eline2015
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Eline2015 »

So Joe socks Lanza was a soldier?