Opinion/Discussion: DeCavalcante Present Day

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Opinion/Discussion: DeCavalcante Present Day

Post by Pogo The Clown »

And fortunes change all the time in the mob. In the late 1990s the family leadership was plotting to kill Charlie Majuri (soon after he was demoted to Soldier) and Manny Riggi and Joe Collina were on the shelf. Yet a decade later all 3 were Capos. Likewise in the late 1990s they were plotting to kill Associate Frank D'Amato and 2 years later he is the Acting Consigliere. It is very unpredictable. In the coming years we could be reading about how Oliveri is the new UnderBoss and Whitey Stango is a Capo. You can never tell with these things.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
NJShore4Life
Full Patched

Post by NJShore4Life »

Rocco wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:26 am
NJShore4Life wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:16 am
joerock wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:35 pm
NJShore4Life wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:52 am Vella gets 15 months

https://patch.com/new-jersey/tomsriver/ ... caine-case
How connected was this guy? They use the word associate for the headlines but in all reality was he rlly connected to the decavs?
This Vella guy is connected to a guy who is very loosely connected to the Deacavs through Fat Wigger Whitey who is extremely loosely connected to the DeCavs and is generally a joke brokester who sells coke here at the shore. I wouldn’t even classify Whitey as an Associate.

Law Enforcement loves throwing around the term Associate because it makes their busts look better.

-Dante
Whitey was around Luigi before his old man came home. Luigi has a crew of wiggers dealing drugs in Elizabeth. That's where Luigi makes all his money that he earns. The restaurant he had was mostly a hang out. They probably get their coke from Colombians in Elizabeth..Its mostly Colombians in Elizabeth now.
Yes, a lot of hot Colombian broads in Elizabeth. I’m all over it!

What was the name of Luigi the Dog’s restaurant in Elizabeth?
NJShore4Life
Full Patched

Post by NJShore4Life »

joerock wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:30 am
NJShore4Life wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:03 am He was already picked up again by the local shore cops narcotics squad selling coke here again within a year of getting out, moron.....

-Dante
Lmao this guy! Wonder when that’ll hit the news
He’s already been arrested, pled guilty, and sentenced my man!

https://dailyvoice.com/new-jersey/ocean ... un/790598/

-Dante
Rocco
Full Patched

Post by Rocco »

NJShore4Life wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:32 pm

How connected was this guy? They use the word associate for the headlines but in all reality was he rlly connected to the decavs?
This Vella guy is connected to a guy who is very loosely connected to the Deacavs through Fat Wigger Whitey who is extremely loosely connected to the DeCavs and is generally a joke brokester who sells coke here at the shore. I wouldn’t even classify Whitey as an Associate.

Law Enforcement loves throwing around the term Associate because it makes their busts look better.

-Dante
Whitey was around Luigi before his old man came home. Luigi has a crew of wiggers dealing drugs in Elizabeth. That's where Luigi makes all his money that he earns. The restaurant he had was mostly a hang out. They probably get their coke from Colombians in Elizabeth..Its mostly Colombians in Elizabeth now.

I don't know. I think its closed now.
Rocco
Full Patched

Post by Rocco »

Rocco wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:04 pm

-Dante

Rocco
Full Patched

Post by Rocco »

Rocco wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:04 pm

-Dante

I don't know. I might be closed. I think he owns or hangs at Panini Caffe
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:08 pm Also it is mentioned that Stango gave money to an Uncle Joey. Don't know if t was his actual uncle or just a nickname for someone else. A possible reference to member Joseph "Uncle Joe" Giacobbe. Seems unlikely considering that Giaccobe would have been in his early 90s then (if he was even still alive) but interesting none the less.

He instructed me, “Take whatever cut is owed to Uncle Joey, and you and Whitey drop it off. Tell him this is from his goombah Charlie. Tell him I miss him and I'll see him soon.” I explained to Whitey that we'd be paying Uncle Joey a visit.

If you're doing anything with that auto parts guy, the one that's with Uncle Joey, and you make any money, break him off a little something, and tell him it's from me.” Whitey happened to know this “auto parts guy” his father had mentioned.
Good eye.

Giacobbe would be the most obvious because that's his nickname, but could be Joe Miranda, too. The DeCavalcantes used to still give a cut of gambling money to the widows of former bosses, so maybe there was an arrangement with Miranda given he had been with the admin. He was also probably running the family when Stango got made and started to gain stature.

We know Joe Sclafani was still around, too, and had an incident with Oliveri. Seems less likely it would be him, though.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Received confirmation tonight that Joe Merlo Jr. is indeed "Milk", as we have speculated.

Doesn't appear "Horse" is Guarraci or Majuri, as I brought both of them up and he only confirmed Merlo Jr.

He only answers confirming or denying what I've asked and I don't want to press him too much or demand answers, as I'm appreciative that he is responsive about it at all. Given that they used alises for some people in the book, he might be worried about implicating an unnamed figure. I wouldn't even know who to ask about next.

So it looks like "Horse" could be just about anyone. For all we know it's someone newer they've made in the last twenty years.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

I'm thinking "Horse" might be Joe Sclafani, believe it or not.

From the Stango indictment:

During the course of this conversation, STANGO told
COLELLA about his simmering hatred for V -1, and that he wanted V -1 to disciplined
because of his earlier display of disrespect to the acting boss of the DCF, alk/a "Horse" in
front of other family members at a social gathering at a social club in Elizabeth. In this
call, STANGO told COLELLA that anything short of violent retribution would be
viewed as weakness

According to STANGO, V -1 had
been "made" [officially become a full member of the DCF] by other leaders ofthe DCF,
including the other crew's capo. However, in December 2014, STANGO was told by
other members of the DCF that V-1 had insulted an acting boss of the DCF during the
course of a social gathering.

V-1 is Luigi Oliveri.

Segment from the book posted by Pogo:
The DeCavs had recently put on a social event in a catering hall, not only for crime family members but also for outside relatives, including dozens of children. Luigi had walked in, full of self-importance, now thinking of himself as a made guy. An old-school gangster named “Tin Ear” Sclafani, a former enforcer for the family who was now past his day, had been sitting with his walking cane when ...

The old man lifted the cane and poked Oliveri in the belly. “Hey Luigi, look at you! You're getting fat like your brother!” (Luigi's brother was an extremely heavy individual, three to four hundred pounds.) Luigi exploded, yelling and cursing, showing no respect for the old mobster in front of his wife and grandchildren and the other old timers sitting nearby. “You fucking old men! You don't know what's going on. Things are changing around here, and you better start fucking respecting me!”

Not surprisingly, members of the incoming Administration were extremely angry about Luigi's behavior. Charlie told me that Big Ears and Milk had visited him at his hotel room and told him about the incident. His reaction had been “The kid's out of control. We've gotta do something about him.”
The way the above incident is described is almost identical to the incident described by Stango about "Horse" being insulted by Oliveri at a social gathering. In both cases, Stango was told about the incident by other members and his response was to ask for violent retribution against Oliveri.

The only problem is the book doesn't make Sclafani out to be an "acting boss" in the above anecdote. However, the book doesn't specifically say Sclafani held no rank, only that he was an "enforcer who was now past his day," which doesn't necessarily appear to be a reference to his status in the mob but his age and health. If he was an acting boss in poor health, that could explain the need for Merlo Jr. to serve as street boss.

Adding to this is that Charles Stango (a captain) was seemingly paying tribute to someone called "Uncle Joey". We know there was the elderly "Uncle Joe" Giacobbe and another former acting boss named Joe Miranda, and that the street boss was Joe Merlo Jr. (unlikely to be called "Uncle" by Stango given he is younger), but given the Sclafani/Oliveri story matches up almost perfectly with the "Horse"/Sclafani story, it seems there might be something to this.
Last edited by B. on Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

B. wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:10 pm I'm thinking "Horse" is might be Joe Sclafani, believe it or not.

That actually crossed my mind when I read about the altercation in the social function with Sclafani but I dismissed it due to his description of him as "a former enforcer for the family who was now past his day". I just thought the Acting Boss was among the old guys sitting nearby when Oliveri went on his little tirade. But if Horse is not Guarraci than you could very well be right about it being Sclafani.

Was Stango only Acting Capo? I don't recall that.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Oh thanks, that was a typo. Talking about too many "acting" positions and mistyped that one. Stango was a ranking member himself paying tribute to someone, so unless "Uncle Joey" was a partner in the specific operation Stango was running, it seems he would be a higher ranking member, i.e. admin.

You could well be right that "Horse" was one of the older members who witnessed the altercation, but Sclafani and "Horse" are the only names singled out in each version of the story and used pretty much interchangeable, so Sclafani seems to be a a strong candidate.

Charlie Majuri and Joe Merlo are on the same side as "Horse" and opposed to John Riggi, but the book says Charlie Majuri is planning to take over as official boss when Riggi dies and keep Merlo Jr. as street boss. Doesn't seem like "Horse" factored into their plans much and unlike Stango they weren't interested in punishing Oliveri for disrespecting "Horse" at the event.

Seems "Horse" was a non-factor overall which might be why he is overlooked. Even if "Horse" was a non-factor and he is Sclafani, you'd think the book would at least mention he held a position but who knows. As you've mentioned, the book seems to have some issues.
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

Would be interesting to find out if Horse (whether that be Sclafani or someone else - it would explain having both an acting boss and street boss if the acting boss was seniretired) or Merlo was official underboss in addition to the acting/ street role
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
joerock
Straightened out

Post by joerock »

NJShore4Life wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:34 pm
joerock wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:30 am
NJShore4Life wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:03 am He was already picked up again by the local shore cops narcotics squad selling coke here again within a year of getting out, moron.....

-Dante
Lmao this guy! Wonder when that’ll hit the news
He’s already been arrested, pled guilty, and sentenced my man!

https://dailyvoice.com/new-jersey/ocean ... un/790598/

-Dante
Oh Mario Galli yeah I know he got pinched I thought you were talking about Anthony Stango jr getting pinched again lol
joerock
Straightened out

Post by joerock »

B. wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:33 pm Received confirmation tonight that Joe Merlo Jr. is indeed "Milk", as we have speculated.

Doesn't appear "Horse" is Guarraci or Majuri, as I brought both of them up and he only confirmed Merlo Jr.

He only answers confirming or denying what I've asked and I don't want to press him too much or demand answers, as I'm appreciative that he is responsive about it at all. Given that they used alises for some people in the book, he might be worried about implicating an unnamed figure. I wouldn't even know who to ask about next.

So it looks like "Horse" could be just about anyone. For all we know it's someone newer they've made in the last twenty years.
So who are some possible candidates for “Horse”?
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

If the book's co-author is correct, we can rule out Majuri and Guarraci.

Sclafani is a strong candidate despite the book saying nothing about him holding a position. His comments to Oliveri and his presence at the NJ social gathering show he is familiar with what's going on in Elizabeth and still part of things. Luigi Oliveri is a guy who was raised in the Peterstown neighborhood of Elizabeth and if Sclafani made a joke about him gaining weight and knowing Oliveri's brother, he's pretty familiar with what's happening in Elizabeth since his release from prison.

We can probably rule out Vincent and John Riggi Jr., though one of them was said to be helping brother Manny run the family circa 2010. "Horse" is someone respected by the Majuri-Merlo faction and they were opposed to the Riggis.

Aside from them, everyone not identified in the Stango indictment is a possibility.

Since we know "Milk" was not a code name but an actual nickname for multiple generations of Merlos, "Horse" might also be a real nickname but we don't know of any members who used it. Even if you translate it to Italian, it doesn't seem like a play on anyone's name.

Corky Vastola was involved with horse farms and lives in Colts Neck, so can't rule him out either.