General Mob Questions

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Shellackhead
Full Patched

Re: General Mob Questions

Post by Shellackhead »

chin_gigante wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:47 pm
Shellackhead wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:13 am Reading through Gangland’s most recent post about Gaspipe Casso. I always found it odd how in Vic & Gas’s regime, some upper echelon guys were active when it came to committing violence. He had Frank Lastorino, Pete Chiodo, and others that I can’t think of at the top of my head who were captains and fulfilled contract hits. He also, killed a few people himself as Underboss. But you never see this with the other families, the Gambinos, Genovese, Bonannos to an extent, even the Colombo’s who are the wildest of the 5 families. Anyone knows why?
What I've found is that captains particularly tend to go on hits more than anticipated (or perhaps tended is the better word, considering the lack of hits nowadays and the increasing use of outside muscle like bikers and gang members in violent crimes). For example, while Sammy Gravano was captain he personally participated in the murders of Nicky Mormando and Robert DiBernardo. Then, while consigliere, he participated in the murders of Louie Milito and Francesco Olivieri.

Bonanno family examples:

Massino and Napolitano were captains at the time of their participation in the murder of Vito Borelli. Almost all of the captains were involved in the three capos hits, either as participants or witnesses. Napolitano's murder involved Massino and Sciascia, who were both on the ruling panel, Steve Cannone the sitting consigliere and Frank Lino, who I think was still an acting captain at the time. Gabriel Infanti was involved in disposal of Caesar Bonventre's body. Lino and Infanti were on the Robert Capasio/ Joseph Platia hit team. Lino and Vitale were on the scene for Infanti's murder. Joseph Cammarano Sr was on the scene for Anthony Tomasulo's killing. Michael Cardello was involved in the murders of Russell Mauro and Robert Perrino. Patrick DeFilippo was on the Sciascia hit.

Philadelphia family:

Frank Narducci was possibly a captain at the time that he stabbed Alvin Feldman to death. If George Fresolone's theory is correct, then while he was consigliere Antonio Caponigro personally shot Angelo Bruno. Frank Monte was probably a captain when he was on the scene of Frank Sindone's murder. Joseph Ciancaglini set up John Calabrese to be hit. Some sources put Salvatore Testa in the Rocco Marinucci hit team. Lawrence Merlino was possibly involved in the disposal of the Sollena brothers. Joseph Ciancaglini Jr had recently been made the underboss when he was the getaway driver in the murder of Rod Colombo. Acting underboss Frank Martines was a driver in the murder of Frank Baldino. Steve Mazzone was a captain when he took part in the disappearance of Michael Avicolli. Joey Merlino was the underboss when he served as the driver in the attempted murder of Anthony Milicia. George Borgesi was a captain at the time of the Anthony Turra murder. Borgesi, Mazzone and Ligambi were identified as being involved in Ronald Turchi's murder. At that time, Ligambi was the acting boss, Mazzone was the acting underboss and Borgesi was the acting consigliere.
That’s great ! Thanks for the examples.
Dwalin2014
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Dwalin2014 »

Shellackhead wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:13 am Reading through Gangland’s most recent post about Gaspipe Casso. I always found it odd how in Vic & Gas’s regime, some upper echelon guys were active when it came to committing violence. He had Frank Lastorino, Pete Chiodo, and others that I can’t think of at the top of my head who were captains and fulfilled contract hits. He also, killed a few people himself as Underboss. But you never see this with the other families, the Gambinos, Genovese, Bonannos to an extent, even the Colombo’s who are the wildest of the 5 families. Anyone knows why?
Some other examples:

For the Colombo's, I think I read the consigliere Carmine Sessa personally participated in the failed ambush on Vic Orena, and also captain Pasquale Amato helped strangling Tommy Ocera in 1989.

For the Bonanno's, Vincent Basciano participated in killing Frank Santoro in 2001.

Also, an example from Detroit: in 1976, capo Frank Randazzo personally took part in a murder attempt on Ernie Kanakis, but ended up dead himself and both soldiers he took along.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

Dwalin2014 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:06 pm
Some other examples:

For the Colombo's, I think I read the consigliere Carmine Sessa personally participated in the failed ambush on Vic Orena, and also captain Pasquale Amato helped strangling Tommy Ocera in 1989.

For the Bonanno's, Vincent Basciano participated in killing Frank Santoro in 2001.

Also, an example from Detroit: in 1976, capo Frank Randazzo personally took part in a murder attempt on Ernie Kanakis, but ended up dead himself and both soldiers he took along.
From what I remember, Basciano was made capo after the Santoro killing.
Shellackhead
Full Patched

Post by Shellackhead »

Some other examples:

Did they botch it?
Dwalin2014
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Dwalin2014 »

Shellackhead wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:50 am
Some other examples:

Did they botch it?
If you mean the Kanakis murder attempt, he killed all 3 in self-defense. Sounds unbelievable, but then all 3 attackers were about 70 years old...A very peculiar case imo.
Shellackhead
Full Patched

Post by Shellackhead »

Dwalin2014 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:16 am
Shellackhead wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:50 am
Some other examples:

Did they botch it?
If you mean the Kanakis murder attempt, he killed all 3 in self-defense. Sounds unbelievable, but then all 3 attackers were about 70 years old...A very peculiar case imo.
Ah shit, that’s crazy, I was reading into thatZ
Jeff
Straightened out

Post by Jeff »

My question is what is the rule on who can preside over an initiation ceremony? The logical assumption would be it has to be a boss or acting boss. But there are guys that were made in prison presumably not by a boss (I certainly could be wrong about that). I greatly appreciate any responses.
Super
Straightened out

Post by Super »

Capos have made soldiers im sure soldiers have made soldiers and we even have joey making ralph a boss.
TallGuy19
Full Patched

Post by TallGuy19 »

Jeff wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:55 pm My question is what is the rule on who can preside over an initiation ceremony? The logical assumption would be it has to be a boss or acting boss. But there are guys that were made in prison presumably not by a boss (I certainly could be wrong about that). I greatly appreciate any responses.
I think the boss of a family can give any made member permission to conduct an initiation ceremony. Bonanno acting captain Damiano Zummo inducted CI Enzo Morena into the family in 2015.
"A thug changes, and love changes, and best friends become strangers. Word up."
TallGuy19
Full Patched

Post by TallGuy19 »

"A thug changes, and love changes, and best friends become strangers. Word up."
Jeff
Straightened out

Post by Jeff »

Thank you for the responses.
Jeff
Straightened out

Post by Jeff »

TallGuy19 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:21 pm
Jeff wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:55 pm My question is what is the rule on who can preside over an initiation ceremony? The logical assumption would be it has to be a boss or acting boss. But there are guys that were made in prison presumably not by a boss (I certainly could be wrong about that). I greatly appreciate any responses.
I think the boss of a family can give any made member permission to conduct an initiation ceremony. Bonanno acting captain Damiano Zummo inducted CI Enzo Morena into the family in 2015.
Wow, that could not have gone over well with the bosses!
Shellackhead
Full Patched

Post by Shellackhead »

From what neighborhood in Palermo was Carlo Gambino from?
Lou_Para
Straightened out

Post by Lou_Para »

I believe Carlo was was from Caccamo, Palermo.
slimshady_007
Full Patched

Post by slimshady_007 »

Does anyone know why Decavlcante Capo Vincent Rotondo was whacked in 88?
Wise men listen and laugh, while fools talk.