General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Patrickgold
Full Patched

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by Patrickgold »

funkster wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:05 am
Patrickgold wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:29 pm
PolackTony wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:24 pm
Patrickgold wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:19 pm
PolackTony wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:20 am
Patrickgold wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:05 am I heard recently from a very good source that Fred “Porky” Pordyla passed away last month. Can anybody else confirm this? It definitely was not in the news. He was in bad shape when I saw him hanging out at Cafe Bionda in the South Loop two years ago so this doesn’t surprise me.
No confirmation that I’ve seen, though he is/was 91 and as you note apparently in poor health for some time. The last update that I had for him was an address on Oak Park Ave in Harwood Heights and that his wife Lorraine nee Burnett died in 2006.

The surname is actually Poradyla, BTW, though the incorrect spelling has been repeated often.
Is he that old? I thought he was in his late 70s or early 80s. He use to go to Cafe Bionda daily so I just figured he lived close to there which is in the South Loop. My friend introduced me to him and he told me he lived not to far from there so I just figured he lived in the Bridgeport/Chinatown area
Born 1928. So far as I know he’s always been a NW side guy (he grew up by Augusta and Noble). Maybe he had some other addresses but the most recent one I saw for him was Harwood Heights.
I doubt he was still living at that address in Harwood Heights. For a guy his age, driving to the south loop everyday would be way to far. And he was there almost everyday. Paulie DiCaro let him eat and drink for free there. They were very close. I wouldn’t be surprised if he moved back to the old neighborhood to live out his final years.
Did that place shut down?
DiCaro was a master thief that was involved in the Balmoral race track heist. Yes, Basil’s testified against him. He was supposedly an advisor on the movie thief and was also supposedly Jackie Cerone’s cell mate for one of his prison stints. He’s still alive. From what I heard Cafe Bionda closed and they are looking to sell it to be reopened. Here’s a link about him and a picture. He’s the guy on the right

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chicag ... y,amp.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

Guy on the left looks like the Golden Jet Bobby Hull
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

Frank wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:27 pm Guy on the left looks like the Golden Jet Bobby Hull
You guessed right. That’s Bobby Hull. He was known to go to Cafe Bionda when he was around
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

Boozy Bobby.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

The greatest Blackhawk ever
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

SolarSolano wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:47 am Link to some of the original manuscripts in Bullets for Dead Hoods. Does anyone have a copy of this?

https://soberscove.com/files/2020/10/Bu ... Sample.pdf
I haven’t seen the actual book, but these are cool manuscript excerpts. The author is incorrect in claiming that Hymie Weiss was Jewish, though given his alias that was a common assumption at the time, I think. From what I know Earl Wojciechowski was a Catholic Pole; his parents’ names Walenty (“Valentine”) and Maria are of course both very Catholic so I doubt he had any Jewish ancestry, though the town he was from had a large Jewish population (as did most towns in Poland). Never been sure exactly why he adopted “Hymie Weiss”.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

SolarSolano wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:47 am Link to some of the original manuscripts in Bullets for Dead Hoods. Does anyone have a copy of this?

I have a copy. Not worth the price IMO.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:10 pm

I guess that’s conditional on what you paid for it lol.

If you don’t think it’s worth much though, that’s good to know.
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

PolackTony wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:43 pm Never been sure exactly why he adopted “Hymie Weiss”.
I've read in more than one place that is was to spare his family the embarrassment of having someone like him as a son of brother. No idea why he went with a Jewish name though.
EYYYY ALL YOU CHOOCHES OUT THERE IT'S THE KID
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

PolackTony wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:13 pm
Antiliar wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:10 pm

I guess that’s conditional on what you paid for it lol.

If you don’t think it’s worth much though, that’s good to know.
I'll put it this way, I wouldn't recommend spending more than $14.95 for it. There's no new information, or what little there is isn't significant.
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

Was this article already posted? I remember this guy doing an interview a couple of years ago how he was leaving the “life”

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2021/6/11/ ... -gettleman
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Wondering if anyone has info on early post-Capone era mobster Mike Costello. There was a Mike Costello arrested with Frank Rio, Paul Ricca, and Phil D'Andrea on October 31/November 1, 1932, where they turned the rims of their hats upward while being photographed for the line up. There was also a Mike Costello arrested with Sylvester Agoglia on December 29, 1932. (I don't know if the two Mike Costellos are the same person.) The article said he was 37 and lived at 2132 S. Michigan Avenue. There was an Irish politician named Michael J. Costello around that time, but you'd think the article would note if they were the same person, so I doubt it's a match. In Chicago Heights there were several Costello brothers born in Italy, and their real name was Castelli. Don't know if they were related to Mike Costello of Chicago. That's all I have, so if anyone has more info it would be appreciated.
https://books.google.com/books?id=qHf_O ... io&f=false
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:28 pm Wondering if anyone has info on early post-Capone era mobster Mike Costello. There was a Mike Costello arrested with Frank Rio, Paul Ricca, and Phil D'Andrea on October 31/November 1, 1932, where they turned the rims of their hats upward while being photographed for the line up. There was also a Mike Costello arrested with Sylvester Agoglia on December 29, 1932. (I don't know if the two Mike Costellos are the same person.) The article said he was 37 and lived at 2132 S. Michigan Avenue. There was an Irish politician named Michael J. Costello around that time, but you'd think the article would note if they were the same person, so I doubt it's a match. In Chicago Heights there were several Costello brothers born in Italy, and their real name was Castelli. Don't know if they were related to Mike Costello of Chicago. That's all I have, so if anyone has more info it would be appreciated.
https://books.google.com/books?id=qHf_O ... io&f=false
It’s a good question. I don’t think I’ve seen this guy Mike Costello mentioned apart from what you’ve already mentioned. I wonder if it was an assumed name. I’m sure you’ve already run into the problem of there just being a whole bunch of Irish guys in Chicago in this time (unsurprisingly) named Michael Costello. One thing to note is that after father Giovanni Castelli died in 1913, the Costello Bros were listed in the 1920 census as living on S Lowe Ave in Chinatown with their mother Vincenza Pusateri. This location isn’t far from the Southside address you listed for this Mike Costello. At least it indicates that the Costellos had some personal connection to the Southside as opposed to just the Heights/South Burbs. Sam Costello, killed in 1938, was born in 1894, so about the same age as this Mike Costello. Just a wild leap, but for all we know “Mike Costello” could have been an assumed name for Sam Castelli. Given that he died in the 30s, this could also be why we don’t see anything else about a Mike Costello beyond what you’ve posted. Interested to see what Villain has on this guy.

Edit: worth noting that Sam Castelli (from that picture with Capone, LaPorte, Emery, DeGrazia et al) doesn’t seem to resemble the Mike Costello in the photo from the Binder book.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Here's a photo of the Mike Costello (right) arrested with Agoglia:
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Antiliar wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:08 am Here's a photo of the Mike Costello (right) arrested with Agoglia
Thats right theres also a pic with Ricca and D'Andrea. I dont have much about this guy I dont know if you remember I asked you regarding this guy long time ago) but i bet my money he belonged to the South/Capone faction, either under D'Andrea or the Fischettis.
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10