Montreal Mafia status - Post Rizzuto Era

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

antimafia
Full Patched

Re: Montreal Mafia status - Post Rizzuto Era

Post by antimafia »

^^^^
'Probably organized crime': Montreal police probe wave of arsons, extortion attempts
https://montreal.citynews.ca/2023/05/18 ... al-police/
mike68
Straightened out

Post by mike68 »

This murder of the young mother is just so mind blowing to me. Especially if she is only guilty of being married to an OC associate.
mike68
Straightened out

Post by mike68 »

Watching from afar, it feels to me like the Montreal conflict(s) can be broken out as follows:

1. The Rizzuto war, during Vito's incarceration through his revenge tour. (supplemented by the war between the factions that turned on each other).
2. The Scoppa brothers war - when the Scoppa's went on the offensive after realizing that the new consortium may be scheming to bump them off.
3. The whatever the Hell is going on now war. Rizzuto/Del Balso/Sollecito/Barbieri/Pizzi/Hells Angels/street gangs/women being killed/arsons

Then you've got the Musitano's/Violi's/Luppino's/Iavarone conflict in Hamilton as well as various shootings in Toronto with Commisso's, Calautti, etc. etc.

What an absolute madhouse
AntComello
Full Patched

Post by AntComello »

mike68 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:37 pm Watching from afar, it feels to me like the Montreal conflict(s) can be broken out as follows:

1. The Rizzuto war, during Vito's incarceration through his revenge tour. (supplemented by the war between the factions that turned on each other).
2. The Scoppa brothers war - when the Scoppa's went on the offensive after realizing that the new consortium may be scheming to bump them off.
3. The whatever the Hell is going on now war. Rizzuto/Del Balso/Sollecito/Barbieri/Pizzi/Hells Angels/street gangs/women being killed/arsons

Then you've got the Musitano's/Violi's/Luppino's/Iavarone conflict in Hamilton as well as various shootings in Toronto with Commisso's, Calautti, etc. etc.

Great breakdown.

Are Canadian mobsters better criminals than the ones in America? I feel like this shit would not fly in New York and if there was incidents similar to the ones going on in canada like all the arsons and murders etc. that there would be no organized crime left because the government would tear them apart. Or is Canadian law enforcement just incompetent?
That’s the guy, Adriana. My Uncle Tony. The guy I’m going to hell for.
mike68
Straightened out

Post by mike68 »

AntComello wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 1:12 pm
mike68 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:37 pm Watching from afar, it feels to me like the Montreal conflict(s) can be broken out as follows:

Great breakdown.

Are Canadian mobsters better criminals than the ones in America? I feel like this shit would not fly in New York and if there was incidents similar to the ones going on in canada like all the arsons and murders etc. that there would be no organized crime left because the government would tear them apart. Or is Canadian law enforcement just incompetent?
Canadian laws are incredibly lax, no RICO statutes, light prison sentences. Makes all the difference in the world apparently.
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

A blast* from the past.

Mafia-linked drug smuggler dies of natural causes in Quebec prison
https://montrealgazette.com/news/local- ... bec-prison

*No shotgun involved.
mr white
Straightened out

Post by mr white »

I second Antcomello's comment - great succinct breakdown and all true.
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

antimafia wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 2:18 pm A blast* from the past.

Mafia-linked drug smuggler dies of natural causes in Quebec prison
https://montrealgazette.com/news/local- ... bec-prison

*No shotgun involved.
Mobster in Montreal dying of natural causes. That's a first
Moscone65
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Moscone65 »

Great breakdown.

Then youve got the d'amico-rizzuto conflict that almost broke out in the mid 2000's and the recent caruana-cuntrera conflict in toronto and the recent toronto tow truck war (sidernese and toronto HA vs street gang and russian criminals)
antimafia
Full Patched

Re: Daughter-in-law of Montreal Mafia figure shot dead in parking lot

Post by antimafia »

I've passed on to one of the Quebec-based journalists a little tidbit of information that probably won't be used in a future article they'll write but is a variable to keep in mind about the murder of Moreno Gallo's daughter-in-law, Claudia Iacono. I assume a number of us had suspicions about from where in Italy her parents descend since news of her killing broke. I recently alluded to this in a short Twitter thread of mine when interacting with a follower but only earlier this morning did I find the details that might confirm one parent's ancestry -- likely her father's -- from Cattolica Eraclea (AG), which is the Rizzutos' hometown. I'll use CE as a made-up initialism here in my post.

Claudia Iacono might very well be the niece of an Antonino Iacono who died in 2022. His funeral-home visitation was not at the Loreto funeral home. Antonino's wife, Angela Maria Mercandante (might be Mercadante if the obituary has a typo), likely has Sicilian ancestry too but not from CE. See below the link to Antonino Iacono's online obituary; see also some of the condolences I've reproduced underneath the link.

https://www.urgelbourgie.com/en/funeral ... ino-iacono

Francesca Marsala
Vi siamo sinceramente vicini in questa dolorosa circostanza.Spero che la fede vi possa aiutare a superare questo difficile momento.Un abbraccio a tutti di cuore Ninetta Randisi e la figlia Francesca da Cattolica Eraclea.

10 months ago

[snip]

Claudia
Love you zio Rest in peace Claudia Iacono

10 months ago

I've certainly bored many of you by previously repeating that the families in the Montreal area who have ancestry from CE feel very pressured to have visitations at the Rizzuto clan-owned Loreto, a carryover of life back in Sicily, where mafia families expect you to kowtow. Most of you are aware that law enforcement gathers intel about Italian organized crime when deaths happen by surveilling funeral homes, cemeteries, and the like; same when weddings and wedding receptions occur. What is less obvious is that in the Montreal area, the Italian underworld dictates invitations to particular weddings and mandates visitations when particular individuals die -- so much so that the intel gathered by law enforcement is used in cases that are being built up by prosecutors. This prescribing of invitations and visitations might explain why Giuseppe De Vito's funeral-home visitation was at the Loreto (as were his young murdered daughters'), why Raynald Desjardins publicly asked one-time funeral direcitor Freddy Ruscitti to issue a statement that Joe Di Maulo's visitation would not be held at the Loreto, why Joe Renda's father's visitation was not held at the Loreto (even though Luciano Renda was married to Gerlando Sciascia's sister), and why Domenico Arcuri Sr.'s sister's visitation was not held there either after she died on May 31, 2021.

IMHO, because Claudia Iacono's father-in-law Moreno Gallo sided with Sal Montagna, she and the likely Sicilian side of her family have been shunned by the Rizzutos even before Gallo was killed in Mexico in 2013 on the third anniversary of Nick Rizzuto Sr.'s own murder; and her husband Antonio's side of the family has seen him and his brother being extorted, his mother (Ada Crispino-Gallo) kidnapped to put pressure on the two brothers, Antonio having a contract on his life, and now Antonio's wife just recently being murdered.

See where the funeral-home visitation is held, and we may glean some insight into what's happening in the Montreal-area's Italian underworld. After Antonio Mucci and Francesco Arcadi each die, their visitations will be held at the Loreto if they're on good terms with Leonardo Rizzuto and Stefano Sollecito -- assuming that the latter two aren't killed before the former or, in Sollecito's case, the aftermath of his stroke doesn't kill him first.
LarryC
Straightened out

Post by LarryC »

^^^^ antimafia, while I understand your comparisons regarding visitations of the deceased among mafiosi in Sicily, there aren’t visitations at funeral homes. Family and friends come to the house to view the deceased. The body is put in the coffin at the house and closed there. They are then taken to the burial spot.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Great breakdown.

Violi is already out on parole and Desjardins will be again soon. Tells you all you need to know.
All roads lead to New York.
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

LarryC wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 11:50 am ^^^^ antimafia, while I understand your comparisons regarding visitations of the deceased among mafiosi in Sicily, there aren’t visitations at funeral homes. Family and friends come to the house to view the deceased. The body is put in the coffin at the house and closed there. They are then taken to the burial spot.
My point was not that, in Montreal, those with ancestry from CE visit the Loreto because that’s what they or their ancestors did back in the old country — I’m fairly certain there are still no funeral homes in CE.

My point is that there’s an expectation to make funeral arrangements at the Loreto for your loved ones in order to line the pockets of the Rizzuto-Cammalleri-Renda clan -- to do otherwise would cause great offense, which in turn would accordingly be punished. A Sicilian man of honour asks a paesano to jump, and the paesano asks “How high?” — where in the world this type of exchange happens is immaterial.
LarryC
Straightened out

Post by LarryC »

antimafia wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:07 pm
LarryC wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 11:50 am ^^^^ antimafia, while I understand your comparisons regarding visitations of the deceased among mafiosi in Sicily, there aren’t visitations at funeral homes. Family and friends come to the house to view the deceased. The body is put in the coffin at the house and closed there. They are then taken to the burial spot.
My point was not that, in Montreal, those with ancestry from CE visit the Loreto because that’s what they or their ancestors did back in the old country — I’m fairly certain there are still no funeral homes in CE.

My point is that there’s an expectation to make funeral arrangements at the Loreto for your loved ones in order to line the pockets of the Rizzuto-Cammalleri-Renda clan -- to do otherwise would cause great offense, which in turn would accordingly be punished. A Sicilian man of honour asks a paesano to jump, and the paesano asks “How high?” — where in the world this type of exchange happens is immaterial.
Yes, I understand what you're saying. And no, there aren't funeral homes in Sicily. For anyone.
OcSleeper
Full Patched

Post by OcSleeper »

Wiseguy wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:02 pm Violi is already out on parole and Desjardins will be again soon. Tells you all you need to know.
Desjardins was let out back on October 4, 2022.