General Mob Questions

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Re: General Mob Questions

Post by HairyKnuckles »

TallGuy19 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:50 pm Which years was Greg Scarpa Sr. a captain? I remember someone saying that he was an official captain from 1960 to 1963 and an acting captain from 1982 to 1984, but does anyone know if that's been confirmed 100%?
Scarpa was official skipper in between 1961 and 1963. In 1964 he was put directly with boss Joe Colombo until he was shot in 1971. He never rose above the rank of soldier after that.
There you have it, never printed before.
TallGuy19
Full Patched

Post by TallGuy19 »

HairyKnuckles wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:18 am
TallGuy19 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:50 pm Which years was Greg Scarpa Sr. a captain? I remember someone saying that he was an official captain from 1960 to 1963 and an acting captain from 1982 to 1984, but does anyone know if that's been confirmed 100%?
Scarpa was official skipper in between 1961 and 1963. In 1964 he was put directly with boss Joe Colombo until he was shot in 1971. He never rose above the rank of soldier after that.
I'm currently reading Deal with the Devil and the author seems to think that Scarpa was promoted to captain in 1960 and remained a captain for the rest of his career. The book is very well researched so I'm a little surprised he didn't figure that out.
"A thug changes, and love changes, and best friends become strangers. Word up."
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

TallGuy19 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:03 am
I'm currently reading Deal with the Devil and the author seems to think that Scarpa was promoted to captain in 1960 and remained a captain for the rest of his career. The book is very well researched so I'm a little surprised he didn't figure that out.
He used Scarpa´s FBI file as basis for his book and many of us have it or has read it. I don´t see anything there that says he was a skipper for the rest of his career. So I don´t see where that comes from.
There you have it, never printed before.
TallGuy19
Full Patched

Post by TallGuy19 »

HairyKnuckles wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:26 am
He used Scarpa´s FBI file as basis for his book and many of us have it or has read it. I don´t see anything there that says he was a skipper for the rest of his career. So I don´t see where that comes from.
I am only about sixty pages in, but he constantly refers to Scarpa as a "Mafia capo" and says that a lower-ranking member wouldn't have access to the information that he had. I guess it doesn't really matter that much, but it hurts the overall credibility of the book if the author doesn't know the rank of the subject he is writing about. What did you think of the book?
Super
Straightened out

Post by Super »

Any info about a salvatore franzese any of the more informed columbo family posters experts
Shellackhead
Full Patched

Post by Shellackhead »

Any news on Anthony Comello?
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

Anyone have a list of current confirmed or suspected DeCavalvante members?
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

chin_gigante wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:54 pm Anyone have a list of current confirmed or suspected DeCavalvante members?

Here is my list of the remaining members. Not all the ages are up to date so some of these guys are older than listed.

Confirmed Members:
Philip Abramo/73
Gaetano “Guy” Alessi/79 (Dead?)
Daniel "Danny" Annunziata/79
Ciro “Jerry” Balzano/56
James Castaldo/63
Rosario “Russell” Cocchiaro/77
Dominick Colletti
Giacomo Colletti/69
Joseph Collina/69
Louis "Louie Eggs" Consalvo/61
Carl Corsentino/82
Nicholas “Nick the Plumber” Cottone
Frank D'Amato/71
Anthony Falzone
Paolo “Paul” Farina/92 (Dead?)
Francesco “Joe” Gatto/77
Joseph "Uncle Joe" Giaccobe/95 (Dead?)
Leonardo “Larry” Giacobbe
Girolamo “Mommo” Guarraggi
Felice “Phil the Undertaker” LaMela/85
Nicholas “Little Nicky” LaMela/83
Charles "Fat Charlie/Big Ears" Majuri/78
Anthony "Marshmallow" Mannarino/74
Mimmo Marzullo/54
Joseph “Joe Red” Merlo Jr.
Michael Merlo/65
Joseph Miranda/95 (Dead?)
Frank “Shipe” Nigro/64
Luigi “Dog” Oliveri/45
Francesco “Frank the Painter” Paparatto/79
Gregory Rago/59
John "Junior" Riggi/64
Vincent Riggi/67
Giuseppe "Pino" Schifillitti/80
Joseph "Tin Ear" Sclafani/81
Charles “Charlie the Hat/Beeps” Stango/75 (IP/3/21/2024)
Gaetano "Corky" Vastola/90
Stefano "Steve the Truck Driver" Vitabile/83

Members ID'd only by a nickname:
FNU “Milk” LNU (Almost certainly either Joe or Mike Merlo)
FNU “Horse” LNU (most likely a member already on the list or one that has recently died like Frank Guarraci or Manny Riggi)
FNU “Big Head” LNU (most likely a member already on the list or one that has recently died like Frank Guarraci or Manny Riggi)

Likely Members: (These guys were proposed members in 1999. From 2000-2006 the family inducted 12 new members including all the other proposed members from 1999 so they were most likely among the 12).
Peter Colletti
Jerry Constabile
Frank Renda

Possible Member:
Salvatore Polizzi (son of deceased Capo Frank Polizzi) – Fresh Street talk had him as being inducted in the 2000-2006 period but nothing has ever come out to confirm that.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

TallGuy19 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:39 pm
HairyKnuckles wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:26 am
I am only about sixty pages in, but he constantly refers to Scarpa as a "Mafia capo" and says that a lower-ranking member wouldn't have access to the information that he had. I guess it doesn't really matter that much, but it hurts the overall credibility of the book if the author doesn't know the rank of the subject he is writing about. What did you think of the book?
He was the de facto leader of Anthony Scarpati’s crew. Despite Scarpaci’s title as capo, Scarpa frequently abused him in public and it was apparently obvious that Scarpa didn’t take orders from him. When Scarpati went to prison in 1987(?), Scarpa nominally reported to Anthony “Chucky” Russo IIRC.

Larry Mazza says Scarpa passed over every opportunity to become a captain specifically because of the heat it would cause, and because he didn’t need the title to verify the influence he knew he held. This would’ve been in the late 80s/early 90s we’re talking about.
I don't know dick about dick.

http://thecolombomafia.com
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

It might not be accurate to say he was the de facto leader of Anthony Scarpati’s crew. I’m sure Scarpati was respected by other made members in his crew, but Scarpa was kind of running his own crew within a crew.

TallGuy19
Full Patched

Post by TallGuy19 »

gohnjotti wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:57 pm It might not be accurate to say he was the de facto leader of Anthony Scarpati’s crew. I’m sure Scarpati was respected by other made members in his crew, but Scarpa was kind of running his own crew within a crew.
The Wimpy Boys crew was made up of associates, wasn't it?
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

TallGuy19 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:12 pm
gohnjotti wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:57 pm It might not be accurate to say he was the de facto leader of Anthony Scarpati’s crew. I’m sure Scarpati was respected by other made members in his crew, but Scarpa was kind of running his own crew within a crew.
Mostly, but Scarpa’s son, Wimpy Boy Gregory Scarpa Jr., rose to the rank of acting captain for the crew after Scarpati’s imprisonment IIRC. Somebody correct me if I am wrong because my memory is foggy.

TallGuy19
Full Patched

Post by TallGuy19 »

gohnjotti wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:58 pm
Mostly, but Scarpa’s son, Wimpy Boy Gregory Scarpa Jr., rose to the rank of acting captain for the crew after Scarpati’s imprisonment IIRC. Somebody correct me if I am wrong because my memory is foggy.
Has anyone ever done a Wimpy Boys chart?
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

TallGuy19 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:35 pm
Has anyone ever done a Wimpy Boys chart?
Just spitballing here, I’d love to see a ‘91 Wimpy Boy’s chart compared to a 2020 recreation of it, because many of them rose to higher ranks within the family or took different paths altogether.

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Yep, you're right. The spot then went to Chucky Russo.