General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Villain
Filthy Few

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by Villain »

Antiliar wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:42 am According to an old report from the 1930s, a Jimmie Nuggi was Rocco DeGrazia's top lieutenant. I'm sure this is a misspelling, but can anyone thing of who this might be?
Maggio or Stacci?
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

The report names the Stacy brothers, so it's not them. Was there a Jimmy Maggio associated with DeGrazia?

After researching it a little more, I think it's Jimmy Nuzzo. But maybe not. The reporter claims Nuggi was born around 1900 (age 32 in 1932), but the two Chicago James Nuzzos that I found were born in 1895 and 1908, respectively.

It's an interesting report from a Los Angeles journalist who was researching organized crime in the Melrose Park area in late 1932. I don't know how he got his information, but he makes a lot of claims and I can't vouch for their accuracy. There's also A LOT of typos (hitting the wrong typewriter key) and spelling errors (consistently misspelling names). It's from a private collection so I can't legally copy and share.

Here's a sum of some or the more fascinating parts:

Frank Nitti is the boss of the Outfit and his top two men are Paul Ricca and Frank Rio

Rocco DeGrazia rules Melrose Park with his top lieutenant Jimmie Nuggi. Frank Rio ordered Nuggi to kidnap and kill the ex-acting police chief of Melrose Park, Rocco Passerella/Passarella/Passerello (various spellings) in 1929 (it actually happened in 1931). Dan Passarella was his brother and that city's fire chief. In January 1930, Rocco Passarella went missing but later suddenly reappeared and gave a story few believed, and assumed he was hiding something. He and another officer who went missing were fired, but they were rehired. In September 1931, Passarella was taken for a ride, but his body was never found.
Rocco DeGrazia and his brothers Andrew and Tony were also involved in crime, including rape. Rocco originally came from St. Louis. He and Willie Heeney both left St. Louis and join the Outfit. Heeney joined the Outfit while Jim Colosimo was still around. He, Ralph Buglio, and Torrio showed Al Capone around when he arrived in 1919. Later, Heeney helped run Cicero for the Outfit.

Doc (Louis) Stacey had a beer joint in part of MP with a George Carazo (sp?). Capone sent Rio to bring them into the Outfit. Stacey later got into prostitution until Al Capone made him stop. Based on this material Stacey was either a low-level soldier or an associate who did work for the Outfit - at least up to 1932 when this was written. Stacey drove the car that DeGrazia and Tony Bagno [Anthony Bagnolia] were in when they crashed in July 1932. Stacey ran off and left a Tommy gun behind. DeGrazia and Bagno were not arrested because of corruption. DeGrazia's back was severely injured and Bagno's legs were broken. They were on their way to kill some Roger Toughy people.

The report discusses a dinner meeting (no date given, but early 1930s) with Willie White, Johnny Moore, Toney Capaccio [Tony Capezio], Jimmie Nuggi, Fur Sammons, and Doc Stacey. Willie White paid the bill. They discussed criminal cases. Stacey tried to ingratiate himself to the higher ups by bombing someone's house. (The Chicago Tribune indicates that a Guy C. Guerine, a village attorney in MP who was connected to a raid on Nick DeGrazia's place, had his home bombed on January 13, 1930 - Joseph Imburgio/Bulger was also a MP town leader at the same time - however, this was a prior bombing.) Judge John P. McGoorty's home was nearly bombed in September 1932, just days after the meeting. The bomb was thrown from a car and seriously injured two pedestrians. A veteran named William McDaniels was arrested. McDaniels was also a bootlegger who possessed dynamite. Max Kraske and Benjamin Shanks were also arrested/indicted. Fur Sammons was also a suspect, but was released. McDaniels was convicted. In 1939, authorities concluded that the Touhy gang was responsible. Albert (Polly Nose) Kator, then serving time in prison, confessed to throwing the bomb. He said he was guilt-ridden for blinding two teens. A 16-year-old boy's eyes were literally blown out of his skull and his foot was nearly blown off, and the 16-year-old girl he was walking with was partially blinded and her face disfigured. One of her eyes had to be removed as a result. The boy, Bill Lee Koeppen, was sponsored by Judge McGoorty, and he finished high school with honors. He started university with aims for a law or teaching degree, but dropped out because he couldn't afford that care he required. He became an assembler and married and got a guide dog. Sadly, the couple had trouble finding an apartment that would accept dogs. Then the dog died and his wife divorced him. Later, he operated a news stand, but illustrating how dangerous that job can be for a disabled blind man, twice cars ran into him, injuring him both times. The newsstand was destroyed and the second time - in 1980 - he suffered 8 fractured ribs and a broken arm. He ended up living with a brother and died in 1987. The reporter's informant may have been Doc Stacey himself. He said he only intended to scare the judge. Because of the damage and because he did this on his own initiative, he never moved up in the organization. (Louis Stacci - his real name - was sentenced to two years in federal prison in 1935 for allegedly orchestrating the freeing of Frank Nash in Kansas City; he died in 1943.)

Al Capone informed on the killer of Jake Lingle. Told Pat Roach that it was Leo Vincent Brothers.

Also in 1931/1932 there was conflict between the Jewish and Italian factions of the Outfit. Harry Guzik and Henry Levine [Harry "Loud Mouth" Levin?] muscled in on some handbooks and this affected Rocco DeGrazia, Willie Heeney, Nick Lodine, George King, and others. Rio told the Italian faction to lay low so it doesn't hurt Al Capone's trial. Lawrence Mangano, DeGrazia and Heeney complained, but Rio told them this was Nitto's orders [he actually calls him "Nitto," not "Nitti"]. Mike Kelly [Mike Spranze] told Nitto things were getting desperate, and Nitto called John Torrio. Torrio came on and said he was helping to get Al out and that everyone needs to lay low. Everyone then agreed.

Lawrence Mangano was partners with Jimmy Mondi

Willie Heeney called in a killer from New York named George Nielson to help until the election. He was in on the St. Valentine's Day Massacre, killed Jake Lingle and Red Barker. He was 35 years old in 1932 and is of Swedish heritage.

Patsy La Rocca who disappeared had worked for Lefty Louis in Cicero. He was a minor hood.

Rocco DeGrazia first came to MP around 1927 when he kicked out an operator named Patsy Rosello. Willie Heeney brought him into the Outfit. DeGrazia had his brother Tony manage things for him until he killed a man.

Dennis Cooney controls gambling in the First Ward, and Billy Skidmore and Bill Johnson control the rest. Eddie Vogel controls the south county, and Slim Hale and Nick DeGrazia the north end.

Other MP bad actors are Charlie Birgio [Joseph Imburgio's brother], Marty King (bro of Leo King), and Charlie Carr. Imburgio was on the MP village board as was Joe Eargo, brother-in-law of Rocco DeGrazia.

Murray Humphreys and Ted Newberry were members of the North Side gang (Bugs Moran), then switch sides together and informed Capone. Humphreys placed Hymie Levine to infiltrate the North Siders. Levine later helped supervise Loop gambling and Mike Kelly became his bodyguard.

Willie Heeney was reluctant to fight the Toughey gang because he was friends with them. Heeney was a long time drug addict. Rocco DeGrazia also dealt drugs. Heeney had killed 20 to 30 men and was the most dangerous man in Chicago. He killed Anselmi and Scalise as well as Joe Aiello.

After the SVM, Moran went to see Al and told him he won and the shooting doesn't need to continue. Capone accepted and offered to put him on the payroll. Newberry and Humphreys may have softened things up for him. Heeney was also a great friend of Moran's.

Frank Nitto is Al Capone's cousin and came from Texas [no one else has written this until the book "After Capone" came out in the 2000s]. He's the boss, Ricca is bookkeeper, and Rio the business manager. His supporters are Frank Diamond, Phil D'Andrea, "Toney Arcodia," "Arthur Angulia," "Syvia Angulia" [Sylvester Agoglia], Lefty Louis, and Torrio when needed.

Heeney and DeGrazia killed Anselmi and Scalise, and told Al about it later.

Drury and Howe are clean cops who refused bribes.

Joe Golina owns a roadhouse on Lake Street near Elgin and is a spy for Jimmie Nuggi.

Bob McCollough used to work for Johnny Patton before Capone. Was a friend of Judge Lyle, who got his name off the Public Enemies list. He was there when Aiello was killed, and was with Lefty Louis when Louis killed Tony Lombardo.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:36 pm
Interesting. The thing about Nitto having arrived via Texas shows that this reporter had some good sources of info, regardless of any other inaccuracies.

The title “bookkeeper” has appeared before with accounts of the Outfit back in those days. I don’t recall where now, but I remember seeing it stated that Nitto was the “bookkeeper” under Capone. It’s worth noting that in the old Camorra/Piccioteria in turn of the century Naples and Calabria, the “contarulo” (accountant or bookkeeper) was allegedly one of the highest ranking positions and top assistant to the capo of the clan. I think that it’s possible that this may have influenced how the Outfit thought about either the underboss or consigliere role during those days, or was an admin position equivalent to one of those.

In regard to this “Jimmy Nuggi”, my hunch is that he was probably the Vincenzo “James” Nuzzo (Di Nuzzo) born in 1895. He was born in Acerra, Napoli, where Cuono and Sam Nuzzo (Di Nuzzo) who were with the Montana crew in MP were also from. I wasn’t able to identify a definite familial link, but I imagine they thought of themselves as cousins. Vincenzo Nuzzo died in 1953 and he also had a home in Michigan City, IN. I know that there were Nuzzos in the Gary crew so I wonder if there’s a relation there as well.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Agreed, he had good sources. So despite his errors he must be taken seriously.

I understand the similarity to Camorra ranks, but I think it was a misunderstanding that confused function with rank. Ricca was described in later FBI reports as setting policy and funds. We know from other sources that Ricca was the one who went to Commission meetings and was seen as an original boss. Nitto probably functioned as a street boss, giving orders. There's no evidence that he attended Commission meetings, so probably was not an official boss. He was evidently superior to Rocco DeGrazia, so was probably the underboss. Rio also appeared to be over DeGrazia, so may have been the consigliere. I think upon his death Lefty Louis Campagna became the next consigliere. My tentative belief is that Campagna was the last official traditional consigliere. According to one source Charles Gioe was the underboss, so maybe Nitto was demoted at some point.

Regarding "Nuggi," I was hoping to find someone associated with DeGrazia or Stacey since we know they were definitely part of MP. Sam Battaglia was a made member back then, but he was a union boss, so no public associations. Yes, the Montanas were there too, as well as Ralph Buglio, probably Fred Pacelli (DiGIovanni), and others involved in the conflict with the Touhy gang. Whether James Nuzzo was Naggi, he was also part of that crew. Maybe Frank Fratto was made by then. Hard to say. Maybe in the future some site will upload the Chicago Herald & Examiner and Chicago American newspapers and they'll fill in some gaps.

From the report I get the impression that capos included Frank Diamond, Phil D'Andrea, Louis Campagna. There was nothing that suggested that Lawrence Mangano or James Mondi held high rank. Of course, since the focus is the period up to 1932 in Melrose Park, a lot of names are left out. So we shouldn't jump to conclusions based on their absence. Another source I have says Ricca was the boss and Rio ran Taylor Street. He doesn't say much of other names.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

He wouldn't know firsthand but I was flipping through Bill Bonanno's Last Testament looking for something else recently and he has Paul Ricca as official "rappresentante" (boss) of Chicago and a Commission member by late 1931. He has him in both positions through 1951 (it's in five year increments). The chart says Ricca was not on the Commission when it was initially formed but was added when they changed the Commission from 5 seats to 7 in late 1931.

Gentile and Magaddino said Ricca was directly involved in Commission activities during that period also. Magaddino said it was Ricca who approached him at the Chicago meeting where they formed the Commission and Ricca encouraged Magaddino to take a Commission seat. At the time Magaddino says Toto LoVerde was rappresentante but Ricca appears to have been the defacto head of what Magaddino called the "Americanized" faction of the Chicago family. Pretty telling that Ricca was influencing the Commission even before he was boss.

Offhand I'm sure many sources conflict with Bill's chart but it's an interesting POV and it fits some stories from the time.
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

B. wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:10 am He wouldn't know firsthand but I was flipping through Bill Bonanno's Last Testament looking for something else recently and he has Paul Ricca as official "rappresentante" (boss) of Chicago and a Commission member by late 1931. He has him in both positions through 1951 (it's in five year increments). The chart says Ricca was not on the Commission when it was initially formed but was added when they changed the Commission from 5 seats to 7 in late 1931.

Gentile and Magaddino said Ricca was directly involved in Commission activities during that period also. Magaddino said it was Ricca who approached him at the Chicago meeting where they formed the Commission and Ricca encouraged Magaddino to take a Commission seat. At the time Magaddino says Toto LoVerde was rappresentante but Ricca appears to have been the defacto head of what Magaddino called the "Americanized" faction of the Chicago family. Pretty telling that Ricca was influencing the Commission even before he was boss.

Offhand I'm sure many sources conflict with Bill's chart but it's an interesting POV and it fits some stories from the time.
Kind of an aside, but on the topic of this book and the Outfit: In the transcript notes during the Goodship Lollipop trials with Infelise and DeLaurentis BJ Jahoda testified that he gave Solly D a hard cover edition of Bonnano's book, which Solly D was apparently flattered by. So what you are reading was also read by the potential boss of the Outfit. :lol: I'd wonder if a guy like Solly ever met Ricca or knew more than what was in the book.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:34 am
I understand the similarity to Camorra ranks, but I think it was a misunderstanding that confused function with rank. Ricca was described in later FBI reports as setting policy and funds. We know from other sources that Ricca was the one who went to Commission meetings and was seen as an original boss. Nitto probably functioned as a street boss, giving orders. There's no evidence that he attended Commission meetings, so probably was not an official boss. He was evidently superior to Rocco DeGrazia, so was probably the underboss. Rio also appeared to be over DeGrazia, so may have been the consigliere. I think upon his death Lefty Louis Campagna became the next consigliere. My tentative belief is that Campagna was the last official traditional consigliere. According to one source Charles Gioe was the underboss, so maybe Nitto was demoted at some point.
I agree that the weight of evidence is strongly in favor of Ricca having been rappresentante following Capone (as B also cited). I also agree that it’s likely that “bookkeeper” may have simply been an operational descriptor (my above post was worded more strongly than my actual belief). It would be useful I think to document all of the instances where the term bookkeeper was used in respect to an Outfit admin member, as the term was used a number of times, IIRC. If this term was actually an emic (“insider”) term, it’s worth noting as it gives some insight into how the organization may have thought about the operational aspects of authority. Even if it wasn’t a specific admin position, the importance of the “contarulo” in the old Camorra and Piccioteria could still have influenced how the membership thought of some of the LCN admin roles, given the background of many of these guys. Ricca, for example, I would have to imagine was aware of what a “contarulo” was.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Antiliar wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:36 pm The report names the Stacy brothers, so it's not them. Was there a Jimmy Maggio associated with DeGrazia?

After researching it a little more, I think it's Jimmy Nuzzo. But maybe not. The reporter claims Nuggi was born around 1900 (age 32 in 1932), but the two Chicago James Nuzzos that I found were born in 1895 and 1908, respectively.

It's an interesting report from a Los Angeles journalist who was researching organized crime in the Melrose Park area in late 1932. I don't know how he got his information, but he makes a lot of claims and I can't vouch for their accuracy. There's also A LOT of typos (hitting the wrong typewriter key) and spelling errors (consistently misspelling names). It's from a private collection so I can't legally copy and share.

Here's a sum of some or the more fascinating parts:

Frank Nitti is the boss of the Outfit and his top two men are Paul Ricca and Frank Rio

Rocco DeGrazia rules Melrose Park with his top lieutenant Jimmie Nuggi. Frank Rio ordered Nuggi to kidnap and kill the ex-acting police chief of Melrose Park, Rocco Passerella/Passarella/Passerello (various spellings) in 1929 (it actually happened in 1931). Dan Passarella was his brother and that city's fire chief. In January 1930, Rocco Passarella went missing but later suddenly reappeared and gave a story few believed, and assumed he was hiding something. He and another officer who went missing were fired, but they were rehired. In September 1931, Passarella was taken for a ride, but his body was never found.
Rocco DeGrazia and his brothers Andrew and Tony were also involved in crime, including rape. Rocco originally came from St. Louis. He and Willie Heeney both left St. Louis and join the Outfit. Heeney joined the Outfit while Jim Colosimo was still around. He, Ralph Buglio, and Torrio showed Al Capone around when he arrived in 1919. Later, Heeney helped run Cicero for the Outfit.

Doc (Louis) Stacey had a beer joint in part of MP with a George Carazo (sp?). Capone sent Rio to bring them into the Outfit. Stacey later got into prostitution until Al Capone made him stop. Based on this material Stacey was either a low-level soldier or an associate who did work for the Outfit - at least up to 1932 when this was written. Stacey drove the car that DeGrazia and Tony Bagno [Anthony Bagnolia] were in when they crashed in July 1932. Stacey ran off and left a Tommy gun behind. DeGrazia and Bagno were not arrested because of corruption. DeGrazia's back was severely injured and Bagno's legs were broken. They were on their way to kill some Roger Toughy people.

The report discusses a dinner meeting (no date given, but early 1930s) with Willie White, Johnny Moore, Toney Capaccio [Tony Capezio], Jimmie Nuggi, Fur Sammons, and Doc Stacey. Willie White paid the bill. They discussed criminal cases. Stacey tried to ingratiate himself to the higher ups by bombing someone's house. (The Chicago Tribune indicates that a Guy C. Guerine, a village attorney in MP who was connected to a raid on Nick DeGrazia's place, had his home bombed on January 13, 1930 - Joseph Imburgio/Bulger was also a MP town leader at the same time - however, this was a prior bombing.) Judge John P. McGoorty's home was nearly bombed in September 1932, just days after the meeting. The bomb was thrown from a car and seriously injured two pedestrians. A veteran named William McDaniels was arrested. McDaniels was also a bootlegger who possessed dynamite. Max Kraske and Benjamin Shanks were also arrested/indicted. Fur Sammons was also a suspect, but was released. McDaniels was convicted. In 1939, authorities concluded that the Touhy gang was responsible. Albert (Polly Nose) Kator, then serving time in prison, confessed to throwing the bomb. He said he was guilt-ridden for blinding two teens. A 16-year-old boy's eyes were literally blown out of his skull and his foot was nearly blown off, and the 16-year-old girl he was walking with was partially blinded and her face disfigured. One of her eyes had to be removed as a result. The boy, Bill Lee Koeppen, was sponsored by Judge McGoorty, and he finished high school with honors. He started university with aims for a law or teaching degree, but dropped out because he couldn't afford that care he required. He became an assembler and married and got a guide dog. Sadly, the couple had trouble finding an apartment that would accept dogs. Then the dog died and his wife divorced him. Later, he operated a news stand, but illustrating how dangerous that job can be for a disabled blind man, twice cars ran into him, injuring him both times. The newsstand was destroyed and the second time - in 1980 - he suffered 8 fractured ribs and a broken arm. He ended up living with a brother and died in 1987. The reporter's informant may have been Doc Stacey himself. He said he only intended to scare the judge. Because of the damage and because he did this on his own initiative, he never moved up in the organization. (Louis Stacci - his real name - was sentenced to two years in federal prison in 1935 for allegedly orchestrating the freeing of Frank Nash in Kansas City; he died in 1943.)

Al Capone informed on the killer of Jake Lingle. Told Pat Roach that it was Leo Vincent Brothers.

Also in 1931/1932 there was conflict between the Jewish and Italian factions of the Outfit. Harry Guzik and Henry Levine [Harry "Loud Mouth" Levin?] muscled in on some handbooks and this affected Rocco DeGrazia, Willie Heeney, Nick Lodine, George King, and others. Rio told the Italian faction to lay low so it doesn't hurt Al Capone's trial. Lawrence Mangano, DeGrazia and Heeney complained, but Rio told them this was Nitto's orders [he actually calls him "Nitto," not "Nitti"]. Mike Kelly [Mike Spranze] told Nitto things were getting desperate, and Nitto called John Torrio. Torrio came on and said he was helping to get Al out and that everyone needs to lay low. Everyone then agreed.

Lawrence Mangano was partners with Jimmy Mondi

Willie Heeney called in a killer from New York named George Nielson to help until the election. He was in on the St. Valentine's Day Massacre, killed Jake Lingle and Red Barker. He was 35 years old in 1932 and is of Swedish heritage.

Patsy La Rocca who disappeared had worked for Lefty Louis in Cicero. He was a minor hood.

Rocco DeGrazia first came to MP around 1927 when he kicked out an operator named Patsy Rosello. Willie Heeney brought him into the Outfit. DeGrazia had his brother Tony manage things for him until he killed a man.

Dennis Cooney controls gambling in the First Ward, and Billy Skidmore and Bill Johnson control the rest. Eddie Vogel controls the south county, and Slim Hale and Nick DeGrazia the north end.

Other MP bad actors are Charlie Birgio [Joseph Imburgio's brother], Marty King (bro of Leo King), and Charlie Carr. Imburgio was on the MP village board as was Joe Eargo, brother-in-law of Rocco DeGrazia.

Murray Humphreys and Ted Newberry were members of the North Side gang (Bugs Moran), then switch sides together and informed Capone. Humphreys placed Hymie Levine to infiltrate the North Siders. Levine later helped supervise Loop gambling and Mike Kelly became his bodyguard.

Willie Heeney was reluctant to fight the Toughey gang because he was friends with them. Heeney was a long time drug addict. Rocco DeGrazia also dealt drugs. Heeney had killed 20 to 30 men and was the most dangerous man in Chicago. He killed Anselmi and Scalise as well as Joe Aiello.

After the SVM, Moran went to see Al and told him he won and the shooting doesn't need to continue. Capone accepted and offered to put him on the payroll. Newberry and Humphreys may have softened things up for him. Heeney was also a great friend of Moran's.

Frank Nitto is Al Capone's cousin and came from Texas [no one else has written this until the book "After Capone" came out in the 2000s]. He's the boss, Ricca is bookkeeper, and Rio the business manager. His supporters are Frank Diamond, Phil D'Andrea, "Toney Arcodia," "Arthur Angulia," "Syvia Angulia" [Sylvester Agoglia], Lefty Louis, and Torrio when needed.

Heeney and DeGrazia killed Anselmi and Scalise, and told Al about it later.

Drury and Howe are clean cops who refused bribes.

Joe Golina owns a roadhouse on Lake Street near Elgin and is a spy for Jimmie Nuggi.

Bob McCollough used to work for Johnny Patton before Capone. Was a friend of Judge Lyle, who got his name off the Public Enemies list. He was there when Aiello was killed, and was with Lefty Louis when Louis killed Tony Lombardo.
Great stuff coach and thanks!

There was a Nick Maggio involved with the old MP crew......same as John Rinella, since im first time hearing regarding "Joe Colina" and Toney Arcodia was probably Tony Accardo.

Im quite surprised from the info that Humphreys started in the Moran gang since most of his old connections show that he mainly operated around the South Side and had connections to the Sam Hunt and Dennis Cooney gang.
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

B. wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:03 pm Anyone have knowledge of a Chicago member or associate who had a residence near Albequerque, NM?

Was talking to a family friend who used to live there and she said a neighbor was a mobster from Chicago, said he had an Italian wife but couldn't remember his name. She thought the wife lived there full time while he seemed to come and go.

I know of Chicago guys in AZ, NV, and CA but I'm not aware of any in NM.
Ok I got a name.

She says his last name was Petrino. Could be something phonetically similar.

Let me know if that rings any bells.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Don't recognize the name
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Me neither. Could be that the name is off, or it could be some connected associated that we don't know about, of course.

When this person said the guy's wife was Italian, did she mean Ital-American, or direct from Italy? Cause, obviously, if his name was something similar to "Petrino" I'd assume he was of Italian ancestry himself (though I'd be burned in the case of Teddy DeRose or Chris Petti, lol).
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

She said the wife was Italian and thought she moved back to Italy later. No details other than that, thanks.
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

Nothing solid here, but intriguing none the less. Didnt realize this was the guy who owns Sergio and Banks, a fairly big real estate company here in Chicago.

https://www.yogonet.com/international/n ... pplication
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Okay, I think I found the identity of the Petrino from Albequerque.

- Leo Petrino, born 1918 in Italy and lived in Chicago where he married a woman with the maiden name Greco.

- Moved to Albequerque where it appears he was in some kind of legal trouble in the late 1950s. NewspaperArchive.com has a couple articles I can't access but from what I can see from Google it looks like he was in some kind of trouble:

https://newspaperarchive.com/albuquerqu ... -1958-p-5/
https://newspaperarchive.com/albuquerqu ... -1963-p-7/

- Died in New Mexico in 2008.

Curious if you guys can find anything else but everything about him matches what my family friend said about him, including him living in Chicago before NM and having a connection to Italy.

It's always possible he wasn't connected to the Chicago outfit and was just a seedy Italian guy living in NM. Interesting though that Villain found those NM connections to high-level Chicago outfit guys.
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

Looks like John Fosco is at it again. This article is lengthy

https://www.americannewspost.com/joseph ... ddendum-8/