General Mob Questions

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Re: General Mob Questions

Post by JeremyTheJew »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:55 am
SantoClaus wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:47 am It seems that Vito Rizzuto didn’t have an autopsy done on him.

He was most likely poisoned by his right hand man Declan Gardiner.

Pogo
Was declan supposed to be a Raymond dsjardin character???

I just don't get how they butchered such a good story and made it pathetic!!
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
Cacuzza
Straightened out

Post by Cacuzza »

crabby appleton wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 8:03 am I don't know whether this question should go here, but has anyone had any experience with or any knowledge about either of these two New York City restaurants?

I think Giando is in Williamsburg or at least its located on Kent Avenue near the Williamsburg bridge going into lower Manhattan. Angelo's is in Little Italy on Mulberry Street in Manhattan.

Giando on the Water
400 Kent Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11249
https://www.giandoonthewater.com/

Angelo's of Mulberry Street
146 Mulberry Street
New York, NY 10013
http://www.angelosofmulberryst.com/?fbc ... MoxkndlYqg
I used to go to Angelo's all the time during the mid to late '70's. It was good then. I have no idea what its like now. Giando I head of but never been there. Can't say anything about. Back to Angelo's whenever I went there I would always stop in to Mare Chiaro and drink at the bar. That was a good place too. Those were the days.

Mare Chiaro
https://new-york-italian.com/2019/01/18 ... tle-italy/
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

Cacuzza wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 5:55 pm
crabby appleton wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 8:03 am I don't know whether this question should go here, but has anyone had any experience with or any knowledge about either of these two New York City restaurants?

I think Giando is in Williamsburg or at least its located on Kent Avenue near the Williamsburg bridge going into lower Manhattan. Angelo's is in Little Italy on Mulberry Street in Manhattan.

Giando on the Water
400 Kent Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11249

146 Mulberry Street
New York, NY 10013
I used to go to Angelo's all the time during the mid to late '70's. It was good then. I have no idea what its like now. Giando I head of but never been there. Can't say anything about. Back to Angelo's whenever I went there I would always stop in to Mare Chiaro and drink at the bar. That was a good place too. Those were the days.

Mare Chiaro
Is Angelo's the restaurant that made it into the headlines when Reagan was president because before he would eat in Little Italy he asked that this people check to see if the restaurant was mob connected?
Cacuzza
Straightened out

Post by Cacuzza »

bert wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 7:47 pm

Giando on the Water
400 Kent Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11249

146 Mulberry Street
New York, NY 10013

Mare Chiaro
Is Angelo's the restaurant that made it into the headlines when Reagan was president because before he would eat in Little Italy he asked that this people check to see if the restaurant was mob connected?
Yes that's the one bert. And if I am not mistake, although some of the savants on will surely correct me, I believe the scene from the Godfather where Don Corleone met with the other Mafia heads with Brazini at the head of the table took place somewhere in Angelo's. Go ahead and fire away guys. Anyway I always loved the food and wine whenever I went there. I am sure the bartender Ziggie and waiters Sal and Guy are probably long dead by now. These guys used to wait on me whenever I went there. Mare Chiaro was a few doors down heading toward Hester on the same side of mulberry as Angelo's. I think they closed recently within the last year or two.
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

It hasn't been the same down there in years regarding the quality of the food or service. I never ate in Angelos, I wish I had. Casa Bella was good, and Vincents was not a tourist trap back then. I loved Luna's for the simple food, nothing fancy but good.
There was also a good Chinese place on Canal right off the end of the Little Italy section, it was on Canal off of Mulberry, nice spot, not a hole in the wall place like many in Chinatown. I can never recall the name, it was run and owned by a woman.
Cacuzza
Straightened out

Post by Cacuzza »

bert wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:16 pm It hasn't been the same down there in years regarding the quality of the food or service. I never ate in Angelos, I wish I had. Casa Bella was good, and Vincents was not a tourist trap back then. I loved Luna's for the simple food, nothing fancy but good.
There was also a good Chinese place on Canal right off the end of the Little Italy section, it was on Canal off of Mulberry, nice spot, not a hole in the wall place like many in Chinatown. I can never recall the name, it was run and owned by a woman.
I remember those Italian places you mentioned. In fact I ate at all of them at least once. Angelo's was the place I always went back to. I'm not sure if it was the food or the atmosphere that kept drawing me back. Maybe both. But the time frame for when I went there was from 1970 to 1979. Whenever I went to Little Italy I used to park my car in an outdoor lot right across the street from Vincents.
Cacuzza
Straightened out

Post by Cacuzza »

Cacuzza wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:08 pm
bert wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 7:47 pm

Giando on the Water
400 Kent Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11249

146 Mulberry Street
New York, NY 10013

Mare Chiaro
Yes that's the one bert. And if I am not mistake, although some of the savants on will surely correct me, I believe the scene from the Godfather where Don Corleone met with the other Mafia heads with Brazini at the head of the table took place somewhere in Angelo's. Go ahead and fire away guys. Anyway I always loved the food and wine whenever I went there. I am sure the bartender Ziggie and waiters Sal and Guy are probably long dead by now. These guys used to wait on me whenever I went there. Mare Chiaro was a few doors down heading toward Hester on the same side of mulberry as Angelo's. I think they closed recently within the last year or two.
A little clarification. When I said the scene with Barzini was filmed at Angelo's that is because Angelo's had a large dinning room in the rear that had that mural on the wall at one end of the room with the steam engine locomotive train that is on the wall behind Barzini. No one ever told me it was filmed there but at the time it was kind of common knowledge. I have since learned nothing is as common as is expected or assumed and knowledge is questionable. I do know the room was there when I frequented the place back in the '70's because I ate in that room on two occasions. The other times I ate there (too numerous to count) I ate up in the front at a table against the wall across from the bar. I don't know if the place has changed much inside since then. Here is the phone number in case someone wants to call and ask about the movie scene:
Angelo's of Mulberry Street +1 212 966 1277

I also mentioned the bartender Ziggie and waiters Sal and Guy. The name Guy was short for Gaetano. These guys were the best. During the time frame when I frequented the place they were already in their late 40's and early 50's. God bless and rest them. They always served me like royalty and if I went in there with a woman they really made us feel special and made me look good. I was also heavy with the gratuity so they earned it and it came back around. Thanks Ziggy, Sal and Guy. God bless.
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

Cacuzza, you seem to know the area very well, I have a question. There was a small lot next to Luna's if I remember right? I think it was used once for a fight scene or confrontation in the Sopranos. I think it involved Johnny Sac. Do you recall the scene? It now makes more sense for it to be shot there if they were using spots in that neighborhood
Cacuzza
Straightened out

Post by Cacuzza »

bert wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:00 am Cacuzza, you seem to know the area very well, I have a question. There was a small lot next to Luna's if I remember right? I think it was used once for a fight scene or confrontation in the Sopranos. I think it involved Johnny Sac. Do you recall the scene? It now makes more sense for it to be shot there if they were using spots in that neighborhood
Is that the scene where Johnny Sac being a little paranoid about that comment about his wife mistakenly thought the younger guy at the bar was laughing at either him (Johnny Sac) or his wife, or both? He beat the guy to the ground in a parking lot and then pee'ed on him. If I recall the bars name (in the Sopranos episode I don't know about real life) was called Benito II but I don't know exactly where that bar and parking are located. I could be wrong but is what you wanted to know? I am sure you are aware there was a big gap in time between the filming of the Godfather and the Soprano's seasons and episodes.

However, mr. bert I do have correction.

I looked into the filming of that meeting scene in the Godfather and whether I thought it was filmed in Angelo's. I am sorry to report it was not and I was incorrect.

Having said Angelo's did (or still does) have a more plush dinning room in the rear with a similar train mural on the wall but not "the train mural."

I went to Angelo's for the first time in 1975 and became devote on a monthly basis until 1979. The filming of the Godfather was long past by the time I showed up but it was understood that that was the room of the meeting scene in the movie. Maybe they fixed up the room and put a simular mural on the wall and used it as a tourist attraction to pull in some more revenue. Who knows now. I called that number to Angelo's to check myself about the mural and the Godfather. The number has a recording but doesn't work. "You have reached a number that is not set up to receive calls."

Here is a link to where the filming of meeting actually took place and about the "real" train painting.

The Hunt for the “Godfather” Train Painting is Over
https://www.vanderbiltcupraces.com/blog ... r_painting

Anyway the food and drink was great at the time and God bless Ziggy, Salvatore and Gaetano.
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

Cacuzza wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:53 pm
bert wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:00 am Cacuzza, you seem to know the area very well, I have a question. There was a small lot next to Luna's if I remember right? I think it was used once for a fight scene or confrontation in the Sopranos. I think it involved Johnny Sac. Do you recall the scene? It now makes more sense for it to be shot there if they were using spots in that neighborhood
Is that the scene where Johnny Sac being a little paranoid about that comment about his wife mistakenly thought the younger guy at the bar was laughing at either him (Johnny Sac) or his wife, or both? He beat the guy to the ground in a parking lot and then pee'ed on him. If I recall the bars name (in the Sopranos episode I don't know about real life) was called Benito II but I don't know exactly where that bar and parking are located. I could be wrong but is what you wanted to know? I am sure you are aware there was a big gap in time between the filming of the Godfather and the Soprano's seasons and episodes.

However, mr. bert I do have correction.

I looked into the filming of that meeting scene in the Godfather and whether I thought it was filmed in Angelo's. I am sorry to report it was not and I was incorrect.

Having said Angelo's did (or still does) have a more plush dinning room in the rear with a similar train mural on the wall but not "the train mural."

I went to Angelo's for the first time in 1975 and became devote on a monthly basis until 1979. The filming of the Godfather was long past by the time I showed up but it was understood that that was the room of the meeting scene in the movie. Maybe they fixed up the room and put a simular mural on the wall and used it as a tourist attraction to pull in some more revenue. Who knows now. I called that number to Angelo's to check myself about the mural and the Godfather. The number has a recording but doesn't work. "You have reached a number that is not set up to receive calls."

Here is a link to where the filming of meeting actually took place and about the "real" train painting.

The Hunt for the “Godfather” Train Painting is Over
https://www.vanderbiltcupraces.com/blog ... r_painting

Anyway the food and drink was great at the time and God bless Ziggy, Salvatore and Gaetano.
You knew how to eat my friend. I ate in only a few of the spots there, I missed out. I could go on about old spots from back then but I don't' want to turn this into a restaurant thread. Plus all this talk is making me hungry and everything is closed!
Cacuzza
Straightened out

Post by Cacuzza »

bert wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 2:31 pm You knew how to eat my friend. I ate in only a few of the spots there, I missed out. I could go on about old spots from back then but I don't' want to turn this into a restaurant thread. Plus all this talk is making me hungry and everything is closed!
bert I know you want to end this but one last comment on your Soprano's question.

There are (or were) two Benito's restaurants on Mulberry Street. Benito I was on the same side of the street as Angelo's down the block heading toward Mare Chiaro which is located at 176 Mulberry Street. Benito I is located at 174 Mulberry Street. Benito II was across the street from Angelo's on Mulberry. Angelo's is at 146 Mulberry and is at 163 Mulberry. Both Benito's were there when I frequented Mulberry Street. I never went to either one of them

The Johnny Sac scene with the Benito II sign, I don't know if that was shot at the actual restaurant or was the sign a prop and the parking lot scene was taken somewhere else after receiving permission to display the name.

I just did a street view of Mulberry Street and looked at all of those locations. I haven't been back there since 1997 (half day). And after looking at street view I don't think I could ever go back again without crying as I walk down the sidewalk. In fact I don't think I will ever consider going back again. It looked like a bunch of shit. And the parking lot I used to park in across the street from Vincent's isn't there anymore. They put a building up where the lot used to be. It's all over.
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

Cacuzza wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 3:04 pm
bert wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 2:31 pm You knew how to eat my friend. I ate in only a few of the spots there, I missed out. I could go on about old spots from back then but I don't' want to turn this into a restaurant thread. Plus all this talk is making me hungry and everything is closed!
bert I know you want to end this but one last comment on your Soprano's question.

There are (or were) two Benito's restaurants on Mulberry Street. Benito I was on the same side of the street as Angelo's down the block heading toward Mare Chiaro which is located at 176 Mulberry Street. Benito I is located at 174 Mulberry Street. Benito II was across the street from Angelo's on Mulberry. Angelo's is at 146 Mulberry and is at 163 Mulberry. Both Benito's were there when I frequented Mulberry Street. I never went to either one of them

The Johnny Sac scene with the Benito II sign, I don't know if that was shot at the actual restaurant or was the sign a prop and the parking lot scene was taken somewhere else after receiving permission to display the name.

I just did a street view of Mulberry Street and looked at all of those locations. I haven't been back there since 1997 (half day). And after looking at street view I don't think I could ever go back again without crying as I walk down the sidewalk. In fact I don't think I will ever consider going back again. It looked like a bunch of shit. And the parking lot I used to park in across the street from Vincent's isn't there anymore. They put a building up where the lot used to be. It's all over.
... there's also bike lanes in the middle of the fuckin road
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
aleksandrored
Full Patched

Post by aleksandrored »

Guys, did Meyer Lansky have any deals in the 60s,70s and even the 80s? I heard that in the 60s I was involved in business in Las Vegas but I'm not sure.
Amershire_Ed
Full Patched

Post by Amershire_Ed »

How have the major crime families handled their finances over the past 60 years? I know things aren’t as prosperous as they once were, but did families ever use central “banks” that housed their funds? I’ve read about the Patriarca Family having secret banks and secret vaults throughout the 70s and 80s, but I was curious how some of the larger families operated. If the Genovese family was pulling in as much money as the government estimated, surely the storage and lending of that money would have to be quite organized.
TallGuy19
Full Patched

Post by TallGuy19 »

Amershire_Ed wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:00 pm How have the major crime families handled their finances over the past 60 years? I know things aren’t as prosperous as they once were, but did families ever use central “banks” that housed their funds? I’ve read about the Patriarca Family having secret banks and secret vaults throughout the 70s and 80s, but I was curious how some of the larger families operated. If the Genovese family was pulling in as much money as the government estimated, surely the storage and lending of that money would have to be quite organized.
When Vincent Esposito (son of Vincent Gigante) was arrested, they found over $3 million in his house, which they claimed was a slush fund for the Genovese family.

Some families, like the Bonannos, will have a fund set up so that members of the family can borrow money at relatively low interest rates, and then put the money out on the street at a higher rate and keep the difference.

Most members who are financially successful invest in legitimate businesses such as restaurants, nightclubs, bars, construction companies, real estate, etc.

Once you own a legitimate business you can use it to launder money by making proceeds from illegal activities, like loansharking or drug trafficking, look like income generated by that business.

As long as you can show where your money came from, and that you have paid taxes on it, you can spend it however you want.

These are just a few examples, mobsters are fairly clever, and I'm sure they have thousands of different ways launder and invest their illicit proceeds.
"A thug changes, and love changes, and best friends become strangers. Word up."