Maxie's Lucchese Profiles

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

maxiestern11
Full Patched

Re: Maxie's Lucchese Profiles

Post by maxiestern11 »

maxiestern11 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:03 am
Flushing wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:51 am
maxiestern11 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:30 am Bert, another top guy, and lifelong drug dealer, was Ormento of course. He’s been getting pinched for narcotics since the 30’s-40’s...... but again, as the decades past, all these guys just got bigger with it. From starting with much smaller loads, by the 1950’s as you say, they had become major organizations moving large multi-Lilo loads into the USA.
-
Four families weee always neck deep in heroin, Lucchese, Genovese, Gambino and Bonanno. Only Profaci was not open about it. He definitely had his hand in it. But in a much more circumspect way, and DID NOT allow his men to openly deal.

He invested, he had a small contingent handle it, but as clearly evidenced by the lack of narcotics arrests of his members, kept it more undercover. Where the other four just didn’t give a fuck! They often dealt more openly and in much larger quantities. Profaci actually put out word, as did Colombo later on, that anyone dealing would be killed, even before the so-called edict that all the families implemented years later because of FBN heat.
-
I also have a feeling it has a lot to do with the Colombo's lack of influence, reach and access. They were self segregated into certain neighborhoods in Bklyn. They were never Bronx, Harlem, downtown, Jersey.
True but Profaci could have dealt very heavy had he wished too. He just didn’t go for that. And he was a zillionaire anyway so why did he need it you know.... with hundreds of guy between members and associates, that was the easy part...... remember back in the day, the Profaci/Colombo crew was a very powerful entity with national influence
All over Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, Nassau-Suffolk, a small crew in NJ plus Joe Profaci lived there, a South Florida presence, CT for awhile through Tropiano..... and because the Joe Bonnano and Joe Profaci were tight (thru marriage and lifelong friendship), access to all of Joe Banana’s contacts, plus Profaci had certain men like Joe Cerrito in California (thru Sal Cerrito a Profaci member and brother of Joe) which gave him access to the west coast.
-
And let’s not forget his deep and very close ties-friendship to the Detroit hierarchy thru his daughters marriages to Joe Zerilli and company.
-
So the Profaci-Colombo Family has major major juice throughout this nation. I believe if memory serves me, that besides his chair at the Commission table for thirty years or so, the Joe spoke for NE also! Profaci (NY) was rabbi for Patriarca as needed!..... AND didn’t The Old Man Profaci also still have close ties to Villabate and Cottone which the FBN claimed were used to facilitate heroin smuggling in false-shelled Oranges.
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

Started gathering together info for Joe Lucchese and Paul Vario.
.......... any preference men?
Super
Straightened out

Post by Super »

Joe I think we have all heard a little or a lot about Paul joe was a ghost Paul was an absolute monster earner but known from Henry hill to be fair roll the dice looking forward to both buddy.
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

Super wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:35 pm Joe I think we have all heard a little or a lot about Paul joe was a ghost Paul was an absolute monster earner but known from Henry hill to be fair roll the dice looking forward to both buddy.
I agree..... I’ll try and complete JB first ok Supe
newera_212
Full Patched

Post by newera_212 »

maxiestern11 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:28 pm JOSEPH (JOE BECK) DI PALERMO - born 1907. Alias: “Joe Becky”, “Joe Palmer”. Born, raised and operated all his life from his base in the “Little Italy” section of Manhattan. (246 Elizabeth Street). He later moved to the “4th ward”, to the “Monroe Houses” (80 North Moore St).... a mob stronghold.
Awesome stuff on Joe Beck. Love all these profiles you’ve been doing. The DiPalermo brothers were prolific. Did any of them have kids that got involved with LCN?

Just a minor correction. You’re right that he moved to 80 North Moore Street, but that’s Independence Plaza North, not Monroe Houses. IPN is in what is now Tribeca. 4th Ward is not too far technically, but its on the opposite side of town (lower east side...monroe, cherry, south street, etc...).

IPN was a huge state subsidized / affordable housing development. Income based. A lot of WTC workers lived there. Joe Beck (and a bunch of other LCN guys) weaseled his way in there and flaunted the fact that he exceeded the income limit to the point that state comptroller / AG office investigated the development for application fraud. I think Joe Beck may have gotten into a little trouble over it but im not 100% sure

-
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

newera_212 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:32 pm
maxiestern11 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:28 pm JOSEPH (JOE BECK) DI PALERMO - born 1907. Alias: “Joe Becky”, “Joe Palmer”. Born, raised and operated all his life from his base in the “Little Italy” section of Manhattan. (246 Elizabeth Street). He later moved to the “4th ward”, to the “Monroe Houses” (80 North Moore St).... a mob stronghold.
Awesome stuff on Joe Beck. Love all these profiles you’ve been doing. The DiPalermo brothers were prolific. Did any of them have kids that got involved with LCN?

Just a minor correction. You’re right that he moved to 80 North Moore Street, but that’s Independence Plaza North, not Monroe Houses. IPN is in what is now Tribeca. 4th Ward is not too far technically, but its on the opposite side of town (lower east side...monroe, cherry, south street, etc...).

IPN was a huge state subsidized / affordable housing development. Income based. A lot of WTC workers lived there. Joe Beck (and a bunch of other LCN guys) weaseled his way in there and flaunted the fact that he exceeded the income limit to the point that state comptroller / AG office investigated the development for application fraud. I think Joe Beck may have gotten into a little trouble over it but im not 100% sure

-

Charlie DiPalermo had a son who was killed in a stick up attempt in the 1950's. He had 2 future mob guys with him, I think Ralph Cuomo was one. The DiPalermo's never had any good money till they were older, then Charlie Beck and Peter started making some good money in the late 1970's. Joe Beck may have actually been within the income limits, he was close to broke most of his life.
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

Charlie Beck was arrested 4 times for small burglaries in the early 1950's. In one, he was in a hole he had dug to break into a clothing store. A cop came along and grabbed his friends who were outside. When the cop went into the hallway Becks friends were outside of, he shined his flashlight into a hole he saw, and Charlie Beck was looking up at him. I think the year was 1952.

He had 3 partners outside, I don't have their names handy but I once looked up all 3, none are listed anywhere as mafia members.
newera_212
Full Patched

Post by newera_212 »

bert wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:41 pm

-

Charlie DiPalermo had a son who was killed in a stick up attempt in the 1950's. He had 2 future mob guys with him, I think Ralph Cuomo was one. The DiPalermo's never had any good money till they were older, then Charlie Beck and Peter started making some good money in the late 1970's. Joe Beck may have actually been within the income limits, he was close to broke most of his life.

Oh shit...thats right. The other mob guy besides Cuomo on that stick up was Joe Benanti, who was with the bonannos and i guess a right hand man to Spero.

Also on paper, taxable income, id assume most of these guys would pass muster on income limits for housing or any other subsidy. They show/report as much or little as they want.

Maxie: i love reading about this old corona / western queens faction. Im from close by and have in laws in corona still. Would have loved to have seen Corona, Jackson Heights, etc...in the 50s and 60s.

Any chance of a Migliore profile? He was from that crew AFAIK.
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

-
I always thought that North Moore St., was across from the Post Newspaper? Wasn’t that just like around the other side of the houses, the next block or so from Monroe Street? Cause I know as a kid we used to refer to the huge housing project where Lefty Ruggiero, Tony Mirra, etc., and so many guys lived as the “Monroe Houses”?, being that it was on Monroe Street ya know. That might not have been its official name, but I know a lot of the area guys referred to it as that...... wherever else Joe Beck may have lived besides Elizabeth St, I always thought (took for granted) that he had an apt at those projects off Monroe Street also because I used to see him there so much! ..... always coming in and out of the elevator! I could be wrong though as far as what the official name was!
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

-

Well Bert, that’s true and NOT exactly true lol!
-
Joe Beck, as well as his brothers, had made “untold” millions upon millions in their lives! During the 1950’s, 60’s, 70’s and 80’s...... but most, if not all of them, Raffie Cuomo included, were DG gamblers their whole lives! So almost as quickly as they’d make it, they’d blow it, at the track, a dice game, etc!
-
So yes, they WERE often broke, but just as quickly, would earn $200-300,000., cash the very next week from moving a multi-kilo Junk load understand?
-
It’s a “Disease” that afflicts many a mob guy!
-
Believe me when I tell you, Joe Beck and company had their own “mint” for decades from heroin and other rackets! Cuomo years back, twice in fact, got caught with something like 20-30 keys of heroin (worth millions) in his car trunk and place. Who do you think that belonged to?, him?? Of course not!
-
As Charlie Brody’s son-in-law he was just holding it for the Di Palermo boys!
-
In my lifetime, as a child and after, when I grew up, I could never understand how many of these guys, who supposedly made so much money, could live in what amounted to an Italian ghetto or lower-middle income areas like Little Italy (6th Ward), down past Chinatown in (the 4th Ward), East Harlem, certain areas of Brooklyn and the Bronx......
-
Not all, but many of them had enough money to move out to the suburbs and buy beautiful homes if they chose. But instead always stayed in the “neighborhood”. I think a partial answer is because they always felt more comfortable in the “old neighborhood” where they were raised and knew everyone. As opposed to relocating to a “strange” area, where they were nobody and not known!
-
Another reason as told to me by a close friend, a old-time “good fellow”, was that he always wanted to be available for the people in his neighborhood, where he ran and controlled his operations. He always wanted to be able to “watch” what was going on, kind of like a “King over his castle” sort of thing I guess.
-
He liked to be able to walk downstairs from his apartment and be able to go play cards and see his “friends” on the block off Elizabeth Street at a moments notice. And to be a fixture in the area, bumping into guys and meet as need be.....a lot of guys I knew were that way.
-
Some even bought homes in Jersey, LI, etc., Moving their families there. Yet they themselves kept an apt in the “neighborhood” and mostly lived there on a daily basis. Go figure!
-
Mostly it’s just what they knew, especially the old guys!
-
And Bert, you are right about Raffie and Joe Benanti getting pinched as kids.

They had gone uptown and robbed a top Upper East Side restaurant or hotel if my memory serves me correctly!

They all got pinched and took a terrible beating from the cops..... they both went away for that! And Charlie’s boy did get shot I think. I’m not certain if it was on that heist or a different one!..... Cuomo and Benanti’s arrest was splashed across all the papers at the time.
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

GIUSEPPE (JOE BROWN) LUCCHESE - born 1910 in Palermo, Sicily. Alias: Joseph Luchese. Immigrated as an infant to the USA in 1911, where the family settled in Manhattan’s East Harlem section (237 E. 106th St), before moving to Corona, Queens (100-18 Northern Blvd) where he was raised, operated and lived even after getting married (in 1932). By the early 1940’s he moved his family to exclusive Malba (144-34 10th Ave - South Dr), where he would reside for the remainder of his life.
-
Joe was one of four brothers (Gaetano, Antonio, Vincenzo), the most important being Gaetano, who as “Tommy Brown”, would go on to stardom as underboss, then ultimately boss of the Gaetano Gagliano Family.
-
NYCPD # B-42596, KG # 4741.
————-
Activities:
policy (numbers lottery)
bookmaking
floating dice and card games
shylocking
extortion
————
He became his older brother Tommy’s “eyes and ears” for the Queens area where the family operated some of their most lucrative rackets.
-
Allegedly inducted by the early 1940’s to the rank of “soldier”. Several years later, quickly elevated to “capo di decina”, and made the “key” overseer of all Queens gambling operations.

His “fiefdom” was based in his hometown of Corona, at that time a largely Italian “Little Italy” styled neighborhood which served as the de facto headquarters of the Queens regime.
————
“Joe Brown” was a known gambler (KG). His criminal arrest record reflected mostly gambling related arrests, having been picked up several times for policy. He may have also had an extortion arrest - I’m not certain.
-
In 1939, Joe (28) was arrested on a felony policy charge. He was nabbed on 51st Avenue in Corona.

He received a suspended sentence. Had at least one more policy arrest that I couldn’t pull up the exact date for.

At any rate, he was an extremely low key guy, always staying in the background, keeping Joe Laratro up front.
————
Although Joe Brown was always in the shadows, he still garnered much attention after Joe Valachi named him and Laratro as top Lucchese captains in his 1963 Senate testimony.
-
From that point forward, he would repeatedly be subpoenaed before grand juries and investigated continuously during the 1960’s-70’s era.

In 1970, Joe Lucchese was subpoenaed to testify before the Joint Legislative Committee on Crime probing mob infiltration of legitimate business.
————
Growing up in Corona, he befriended another neighborhood kid by the name of Joseph (Joey Narrow) Laratro, and as the years passed they became gambling partners. Lucchese the “official” Capodecina, and Laratro the “acting” Capodecina serving under Joe Lucchese. In later years Laratro would also be elevated to “official” Capo status and serve together as “Co-Captains” of the regime.

Eventually “Tommy Brown” entrusted the “Two Joey’s” with overseeing and supervision of all Queens-based gambling activity under the domination of the Gagliano/Lucchese Family.

Their policy and bookmaking network at its peak in 1967 was said to gross $15,000,000. a year and employed 65 runners and sub-bookies.
———
Joe Lucchese could be found daily, and held court for decades from a small candy store-fountain shop on 108th Street in Corona Heights.
———
Close associates and key members of the Lucchese “Corona Crew” included:
-
Joseph (Joe Palisades) Rosato - key capo, brother in law, garment racketeer
-
Joseph (Joey Narrow) Laratro - FBI #263439D, co-Capo of the Corona crew
-
Anthony (Nino Brown) Lucchese - crew “associate”
-
Vincent (Jimmy Brown) Lucchese - NYPD #B-485791, crew “associate”,
-
Frank (Frankie Bell) Campanello - FBI # 62228, crew member, trusted gambling bagman for Joe Brown
-
Donato (Dempsey) Laietta - veteran crew “soldier”, dice-game operator
-
Frank (Yippy) La Polla - crew “associate”, top gambling operative
-
Donato (Danny Narrow) Laratro - brother to Joe Narrow, top bookie
-
Eugenio (Little Gene) Giannone - FBI # 972673D, crew associate, key bookmaker
-
Joseph (Joe Bikini) Brocchini - FBI # 622595A, NYPD # B-295791, crew “associate”, top enforcer, shylock, became a major pornographer
-
Aniello (Neil) Migliore - right-arm to Joe Laratro, gambling crew overseer
-
Arthur Laratro - policy racketeer, Laratro cousin
-
Mangiapane brothers - (Frank, Lenny and Joey) all former boxers and crew “associates”

....... there were approximately 10-15 additional key associates of this crew that I chose not to list.
———
Legitimate interests:
-
Whitestone Lanes - (a partnership of top Lucchese members who pooled resources in appx 1953 to buy the property and build this highly successful bowling alley)
-
Construction and Lathing firm - Bronx, NY (Tommy and Joe were partners with capo Mac Macaluso)
-
The Sapphire Room - a popular Jackson Heights nightclub. The two Joey’s were said to have hidden interest.
———
Hangouts: “Joe Brown” Lucchese mostly stayed close to his Corona base. Among his favorite local mob haunts were:
-
Candy Store/coffee shop - 108th St., and 50th Ave., Corona
-
Tufaro’s Italian Restaurant and Catering - 111th St and Roosevelt Ave., Corona
-
Rafael’s Italian Ristorante - Roosevelt Ave., Corona
-
The Sapphire Room - Jackson Heights
-
Tasso’s Bar - Roosevelt Ave., Jackson Heights
———
After his brothers death in 1967, “Joe Brown” slowly faded into the background.

LE claimed that he remained a capo, helping with the transition of power in the family, even serving for a short time as “acting boss” at one point - I’m not sure that’s true!

He did remain a capo for several years until eventually being reduced to “soldier” status. He was already getting older, and although respected, with Tommy’s death, Joe’s time had passed!
———
Joseph “Joe Brown” Lucchese died peacefully in 1987 at the age of 77 years old........ He had lived a very charmed life as the kid brother of one of gangland’s most successful and important “Representante” ever!
-
Having never seen the inside of a jail! ...... a charmed life indeed!
———————————————————————————————————-
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

maxiestern11 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:14 am

-

-
Joe Beck, as well as his brothers, had made “untold” millions upon millions in their lives! During the 1950’s, 60’s, 70’s and 80’s...... but most, if not all of them, Raffie Cuomo included, were DG gamblers their whole lives! So almost as quickly as they’d make it, they’d blow it, at the track, a dice game, etc!
-
So yes, they WERE often broke, but just as quickly, would earn $200-300,000., cash the very next week from moving a multi-kilo Junk load understand?
-
-
Believe me when I tell you, Joe Beck and company had their own “mint” for decades from heroin and other rackets! Cuomo years back, twice in fact, got caught with something like 20-30 keys of heroin (worth millions) in his car trunk and place. Who do you think that belonged to?, him?? Of course not!
-
-
In my lifetime, as a child and after, when I grew up, I could never understand how many of these guys, who supposedly made so much money, could live in what amounted to an Italian ghetto or lower-middle income areas like Little Italy (6th Ward), down past Chinatown in (the 4th Ward), East Harlem, certain areas of Brooklyn and the Bronx......
-
Not all, but many of them had enough money to move out to the suburbs and buy beautiful homes if they chose. But instead always stayed in the “neighborhood”. I think a partial answer is because they always felt more comfortable in the “old neighborhood” where they were raised and knew everyone. As opposed to relocating to a “strange” area, where they were nobody and not known!
-
Another reason as told to me by a close friend, a old-time “good fellow”, was that he always wanted to be available for the people in his neighborhood, where he ran and controlled his operations. He always wanted to be able to “watch” what was going on, kind of like a “King over his castle” sort of thing I guess.
-
He liked to be able to walk downstairs from his apartment and be able to go play cards and see his “friends” on the block off Elizabeth Street at a moments notice. And to be a fixture in the area, bumping into guys and meet as need be.....a lot of guys I knew were that way.
-
Some even bought homes in Jersey, LI, etc., Moving their families there. Yet they themselves kept an apt in the “neighborhood” and mostly lived there on a daily basis. Go figure!
-
-

They had gone uptown and robbed a top Upper East Side restaurant or hotel if my memory serves me correctly!

They all got pinched and took a terrible beating from the cops..... they both went away for that! And Charlie’s boy did get shot I think. I’m not certain if it was on that heist or a different one!..... Cuomo and Benanti’s arrest was splashed across all the papers at the time.
Maxie, you have it wrong. The stick up was the same, DiPalermo was killed on the same one as Cuomo and Benanti. They were upstairs getting a gut to open a safe, DiPalermo was on the staircase leading to the 2nd floor when he was shot dead by the cops who had burst in the door. It's the same case as the one with Cuomo and Benanti.

AS for people telling you stories, they have it wrong, Charlie Beck and others were not doing small tie stuff and making millions at the same time. I have heard all the talk over the years that they go broke right away, and they don't turn down a score no matter how small. If you believe that, I can't change your mind. You think that Charlie beck had millions but his son was on a small time stick up? Or that he was doing minor burglaries in the early 1950's while making millions? They hit it big later
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

bert wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:36 am
maxiestern11 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:14 am

-

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Maxie, you have it wrong. The stick up was the same, DiPalermo was killed on the same one as Cuomo and Benanti. They were upstairs getting a gut to open a safe, DiPalermo was on the staircase leading to the 2nd floor when he was shot dead by the cops who had burst in the door. It's the same case as the one with Cuomo and Benanti.

AS for people telling you stories, they have it wrong, Charlie Beck and others were not doing small tie stuff and making millions at the same time. I have heard all the talk over the years that they go broke right away, and they don't turn down a score no matter how small. If you believe that, I can't change your mind. You think that Charlie beck had millions but his son was on a small time stick up? Or that he was doing minor burglaries in the early 1950's while making millions? They hit it big later
Bert, with all do respect, when Raffie, Benanti and Charlie’s kid did the stickup, they were just that, jerkoff kids! .....late teens, early twenties. They had no money! They were kids!
-
But it’s got nothing to do with Joe, Petey and Charlie Beck.... they were adults, good fellows and big big earners at that!...... I don’t know if you understand the significance of handling 20,30,40,50 kilos of heroin in one shot!..... but we’re talking MILLIONS! And they did that sort of thing on a very regular basis! YOU DO THE MATH OK!
-
...... and one more thing while we’re chatting. Who do you think REALLY has it wrong! YOU who read a couple of stories in a book! Or actual “good fellows” who lived it every day and knew them very very very well! .... came from their neighborhood, went to school with them, and hung with them daily??
-
...... REALLY NOW?
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

I have it right, but you keep saying you knew goodfellas, wiseguys, and all else, yet get their profiles wrong. Look, all I did was disagree, you see the Becks as millionaires in the 1950's, I disagree. You call the guys on the stick up kids, Dipalermo was close 24 when he was killed on the stick up, you say he was a teen or just out of being a teen.
You didn't know about Charlie Becks arrests for small burglaries. I just brung them up, you went crazy. You're typing in caps, using exclamation points, and saying you knew mafia member who hung out or knew them. Whatever.

You had Phil Tartaglia getting busted for drugs in an earlier profile when he was never even arrested once for drugs, or even tied to drugs. Since you say you hung out with him in Vegas, I guess his arrest records and FBI reports on him are wrong, and you are right.

I didn't know it was such a sin to occasionally have a comment that disagrees with your profiles. I didn't disagree in an insulting way. I pointe something out, that's all.
newera_212
Full Patched

Post by newera_212 »

maxiestern11 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:25 am

-
I always thought that North Moore St., was across from the Post Newspaper? Wasn’t that just like around the other side of the houses, the next block or so from Monroe Street? Cause I know as a kid we used to refer to the huge housing project where Lefty Ruggiero, Tony Mirra, etc., and so many guys lived as the “Monroe Houses”?, being that it was on Monroe Street ya know. That might not have been its official name, but I know a lot of the area guys referred to it as that...... wherever else Joe Beck may have lived besides Elizabeth St, I always thought (took for granted) that he had an apt at those projects off Monroe Street also because I used to see him there so much! ..... always coming in and out of the elevator! I could be wrong though as far as what the official name was!

you’re thinking of Knickerbocker Village, which is a massive complex on monroe, cherry, catherine and market. thats the 4th ward. wouldnt be surprising if joe beck was there a lot, it was a huge lcn stronghold...but he lived across town in IPN, which was a similar (but newer) type of development. Knickerbocker Village had guys from just about every family there, definitely all those Bonannos you mentioned. for the Luccheses the Tortorello brothers lived there and so did Al D’Arco’s son. theres a Genovese social club operating there still to this day...although it may be different now that Pete DiChiara died, but it is/was probably the only “out in the open” club i could think of being ran in modern day Manhattan.

id love for one of the research/history guys to do a little profile on Knickerbocker Village itself. outside of little italy proper it probably had more made guys per capita than anywhere else in the city (manhattan)...all paying below market, government subsidized rents LOL. to this day its still a place people claw their way into, after waiting years. they just did a lottery for their wait list, i think a one bed apartment there goes for around $800’ish now