Visiting the West Side 1963

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Re: Visiting the West Side 1963

Post by PolackTony »

eboli wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:11 am
PolackTony wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:31 am There's a birth record for Guarino Moretti in NYC, born 04 Jun 1894. Parents were Gennaro Moretti and Maria Toscano. In 1900, they were living at 339 E 109 (btwn 1st and 2nd Ave) in East Harlem. Parents stated that they arrived in NYC ~1893. They later moved to the Bronx. Seems like the only Guarino Moretti (not a super common name, obviously) around, so I'm reasonably certain that it's him. In a later document, son Guarino appears as "Willie".

So far I haven't been able to find his parents' arrival records or any other records specifying origins more granular than Italy. FWIW, both Moretti and Toscano are common surnames in Bari and the Moretti surname is far more common in Puglia, specifically Bari, than in Calabria. So I think his parents are absolutely consistent with Bares' ancestry, though we still need proof.
64373.jpg
This matches the guy I found in the records, as "Willie" Moretti, son of Gennaro and Maria, was recorded as living with his parents in East Harlem in 1915 still. 1920 he was no longer living with them.

Per his 1932 death record in the Bronx, Gennaro Moretti's parents were Carmine Moretti and Rosa Vacca. The Vacca surname is highly prevalent in Bari as well and is not common in Calabria. Just going by his, I personally think it is very likely that Moretti was indeed Bares'.
Last edited by PolackTony on Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

PolackTony wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:34 am
PolackTony wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:31 am There's a birth record for Guarino Moretti in NYC, born 04 Jun 1894. Parents were Gennaro Moretti and Maria Toscano. In 1900, they were living at 339 E 109 (btwn 1st and 2nd Ave) in East Harlem. Parents stated that they arrived in NYC ~1893. They later moved to the Bronx. Seems like the only Guarino Moretti (not a super common name, obviously) around, so I'm reasonably certain that it's him. In a later document, son Guarino appears as "Willie".

So far I haven't been able to find his parents' arrival records or any other records specifying origins more granular than Italy. FWIW, both Moretti and Toscano are common surnames in Bari and the Moretti surname is far more common in Puglia, specifically Bari, than in Calabria. So I think his parents are absolutely consistent with Bares' ancestry, though we still need proof.
64373.jpg
This matches the guy I found in the records, as "Willie" Moretti, son of Gennaro and Maria, was recorded as living with his parents in East Harlem in 1915 still. 1920 he was no longer living with them.
Yeah, that's the family. Gennaro Moretti died in the Bronx on 11 Oct 1932, aged 74. Gennaro's father's name was Carmine Moretti; the mother's name was Rosa Vacca.

The federal government considered Willie an American citizen, which he confirmed. He said his baptism name was Guarino, later changed to William.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

eboli wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:55 am
PolackTony wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:34 am

64373.jpg
Yeah, that's the family. Gennaro Moretti died in the Bronx on 11 Oct 1932, aged 74. Gennaro's father's name was Carmine Moretti; his mother's name was Rosa Vacca. The federal government considered Willie an American citizen, which he confirmed. He said his baptism name was Guarino, later changed to William.
Just edited my above post. Willie's paternal grandmother makes it extremely likely that his family was from Bari.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

This is what Moretti said about his ancestry. I interpreted it as being from the same place as the Milanos (San Roberto, Reggio Calabria), but maybe he just meant "Italy" and was being deceptive.
Moretti, Guarino (William) - Milano - OCIC pt7 p334.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

"Same part of Italy".. if I was describing a Sicilian or southern Italian during that time I might say "same part of Italy" meaning southern Italy. I got no agenda either way. What I found points to him being Barese if he's from San Roberto, Reggio I'm fine with that too. But either way, San Roberto or Bari I doubt he was Costello's cousin.
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

PolackTony wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:34 am There's a birth record for Guarino Moretti in NYC, born 04 Jun 1894. Parents were Gennaro Moretti and Maria Toscano. In 1900, they were living at 339 E 109 (btwn 1st and 2nd Ave) in East Harlem. Parents stated that they arrived in NYC ~1893.
It seems like they arrived in New York way before 1893. Catherine Moretti - the oldest daughter - was born on 26 Dec 1891 in Manhattan. But in the 1900 Census, Gennaro stated that he immigrated in 1893, and his wife did in 1898. Catherine born in 1891 is different from Moretti's younger sister also named Catherine (b. 1897). It's likely that the older girl passed away as a child because I couldn't find any other records of her.

632727.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by eboli on Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Chris Christie wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:33 pm "Same part of Italy".. if I was describing a Sicilian or southern Italian during that time I might say "same part of Italy" meaning southern Italy. I got no agenda either way. What I found points to him being Barese if he's from San Roberto, Reggio I'm fine with that too. But either way, San Roberto or Bari I doubt he was Costello's cousin.
I know, and neither do I. It's all about getting to the truth. If Moretti or others created myths around his origins and identity, those myths need to be exposed. So if the evidence points to his parents coming from Bari and he had no biological connection to Costello or the Milanos, then that's what it is. To quote The Irishman, "It is what it is."
cobra
Straightened out

Post by cobra »

-gennaro name point at naples origins
-carmine name point at naples origins
-of course no guaranteed
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Antiliar wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:36 pm
Chris Christie wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:33 pm "Same part of Italy".. if I was describing a Sicilian or southern Italian during that time I might say "same part of Italy" meaning southern Italy. I got no agenda either way. What I found points to him being Barese if he's from San Roberto, Reggio I'm fine with that too. But either way, San Roberto or Bari I doubt he was Costello's cousin.
I know, and neither do I. It's all about getting to the truth. If Moretti or others created myths around his origins and identity, those myths need to be exposed. So if the evidence points to his parents coming from Bari and he had no biological connection to Costello or the Milanos, then that's what it is. To quote The Irishman, "It is what it is."
It points to a learning curve either way. 1 official documents are further proved wrong or 2 "Calabrians" amounted to just more than people regionally born in Calabria. The C-War was described as Castellmmaresi against everyone else and within that was Napolitan Valachi who, if we researchers didn't know any better, would speculate that a Napolitan would be a Masseria loyalist as most were. But with this subject, there's grey areas.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Chris Christie wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:22 pm
Antiliar wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:36 pm
It points to a learning curve either way. 1 official documents are further proved wrong or 2 "Calabrians" amounted to just more than people regionally born in Calabria. The C-War was described as Castellmmaresi against everyone else and within that was Napolitan Valachi who, if we researchers didn't know any better, would speculate that a Napolitan would be a Masseria loyalist as most were. But with this subject, there's grey areas.
See also: the "Calabrian" faction in Philly.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Great job everyone.

That's three guys now who have been called Calabrians, even by other members themselves, who turned out not to be (Lombardozzi, Caponigro, Moretti). Wonder why they were assumed to be Calabrian in each of these cases (with Caponigro would appear to be because he was non-Sicilian and close to the Calabrian political faction).

Didn't know Moretti lived in Philly for a time, was only aware of Buffalo. Are there records of his time in Philly?

His heritage opens some other questions about his early activities/connections that we could dig into another time.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Source might be Valachi, says one of Vito Genovese's brothers was made in the early 1950s. We know Michael was a member but the handwriting appears to indicate this guy is deceased as of 1962 and the text refers to him in the past tense. Couldn't be Michael if that's the case.

Was Carmine Genovese deceased by 1962?

Interesting side note, but Carmine Genovese was living with a young Anna Petillo and her family during the 1910 Census. Anna would later marry Vito. Apparently they're cousins which is supported by Carmine living with them early on.

Also wondering if there's relation between Genovese member Dave Petillo and Anna Petillo.
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

B. wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:02 am Image

Source might be Valachi, says one of Vito Genovese's brothers was made in the early 1950s. We know Michael was a member but the handwriting appears to indicate this guy is deceased as of 1962 and the text refers to him in the past tense. Couldn't be Michael if that's the case.

Was Carmine Genovese deceased by 1962?

Interesting side note, but Carmine Genovese was living with a young Anna Petillo and her family during the 1910 Census. Anna would later marry Vito. Apparently they're cousins which is supported by Carmine living with them early on.

Also wondering if there's relation between Genovese member Dave Petillo and Anna Petillo.
Carmine died in 1964.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/143 ... e-genovese

Federal informants described Michael as very intelligent. He wanted none of the street nonsense. By the time of Vito's death in 1969, Michael had already retired from the mob in his early 60s.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Thanks, Eboli.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

When did Michael Genovese die? Thanks.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.