Bonanno 1960s chart

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Southshore88
Straightened out

Re: Bonanno 1960s chart

Post by Southshore88 »

Chris Christie wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:48 am I'm going to figure out how to start recording calls and maybe start a Black Hand Podcast. Of course we've have to review them after having them and take out what we don't want being shared. But I think it would be a fresh take of nerdy academics against interviewers and former members who have youtube presences. Just a thought.

The season finale can end with getting Wiseguy on a call as the Final Boss. :mrgreen:
A Black Hand podcast would be an amazing idea.
jimmyb
Straightened out

Post by jimmyb »

Chris Christie wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:41 am Salut to a great 6:47:00 minute call between B., TheKidUKnow, PolackTony, James Buccellato and myself. I learned alot and wow, for everything I know about this subject there's a million things that I don't. And for what I think I know, you guys all bring fresh interpretations and additions that make me refine existing beliefs. It was an honor and a pleasure to be in conversation with such knowledgeable people.

Bonanotti.
Great talking with you guys as well! Thank you for including me. I look forward to more research and discussions.

Thanks,
JB
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

I want on the podcast
Guy Fatato said on a tape-recording that Franzese's vig on a $30,000 debt was "like social security" for him. - GohnJotti
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Cheech wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:13 pm I want on the podcast
Sure, DM me your number again and I'll add you and text you to keep you in the loop.

Did some looking into how to record calls and it needs to be done from a computer, skype for $5 a month will allow you to record calls. I could do that.

But when we do these calls it helps to have select people discussing a certain topic. On the last call we discussed the Bonannos and Tony just listened, then we jumped to other stuff like Chicago etc and Kiduknow just listened. On another call a few weeks back involving Antiliar, Snakes, Tony and maybe B., I was busy doing things so I was on mute and then eventually fell asleep while they were all talking shop. It's just a laid back chill way to discuss this stuff because most of us dont have people in our daily lives to discuss this stuff as deep as we can with each other.

I don't think we should do them live because we may say stuff we want to edit out, talk overs or silence etc. I can edit it later and all parties on the call can agree its good to go. I'm down for it.

Also, be a good way to market people we speak to that are authors.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

I think a more "off the cuff" conversational approach is best as it allows for organic discussion that goes in different directions, opposed to just "today we're talking about Buffalo in 1931... on this date...".

That said, much better to have a general topic/focus to begin with, with participants chosen with that in mind. Can go where it goes from there.

What most impresses me about talking to you guys is how much immediate recall and expertise you have off the top of your head. Not every detail has to be perfect, but there is a level of fluency and expertise you simply won't find on most of the Youtube shows.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

Having a main/general topic would be best, it’ll no doubt branch out and still lead to interesting discussions(I’d also love to do one on the Bonanno split of course).
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

This report hints that Phil Candella transferred from the Bonanno Family to Madison:

Anything on Phil Candella living in NYC? Obviously close to the Bonanno Family as his bro-in-law was John DiBella and Bonanno was a partner in Grande Cheese. DiBella's brother Battista was also an original partner in Grande and close to Nicolo Schiro.

Candella lived in Detroit before Madison and was said to be close to the Detroit Family, never heard of him being in NYC.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:45 pm This report hints that Phil Candella transferred from the Bonanno Family to Madison:

Anything on Phil Candella living in NYC? Obviously close to the Bonanno Family as his bro-in-law was John DiBella and Bonanno was a partner in Grande Cheese. DiBella's brother Battista was also an original partner in Grande and close to Nicolo Schiro.

Candella lived in Detroit before Madison and was said to be close to the Detroit Family, never heard of him being in NYC.
Oh wow…
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

B. wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:45 pm This report hints that Phil Candella transferred from the Bonanno Family to Madison:

If he was a Bonanno member before moving to Detroit/Madison, it’s interesting he transferred and DiBella stayed under Bonanno, unless the transfer happened after DiBella’s death in 64.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Oh another name to include as a possible member is Joseph Adragna.

- Two of his brothers were Pittsburgh members and another was proposed in San Jose. Joseph and his father Giuseppe (who was also involved) stayed in Williamsburg, however.

- One of the most reliable San Jose member informants knew the Adragnas well and identified Joseph Adragna as a Cosa Nostra member in NYC but didn't know which Family. I'd bet the house the "NYC Family" he belonged to was the Bonanno Family given he was Alcamese and lived in Williamsburg.

JimmyB reminded me the "Adragna gang" were also identified as close associates of the Castellammarese mafia leadership in the 1896 investigation. so their relationship to this group might go back to Sicily.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

B. wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:19 pm Oh another name to include as a possible member is Joseph Adragna.

- Two of his brothers were Pittsburgh members and another was proposed in San Jose. Joseph and his father Giuseppe (who was also involved) stayed in Williamsburg, however.

- One of the most reliable San Jose member informants knew the Adragnas well and identified Joseph Adragna as a Cosa Nostra member in NYC but didn't know which Family. I'd bet the house the "NYC Family" he belonged to was the Bonanno Family given he was Alcamese and lived in Williamsburg.

JimmyB reminded me the "Adragna gang" were also identified as close associates of the Castellammarese mafia leadership in the 1896 investigation. so their relationship to this group might go back to Sicily.
Good find, do you have a DOB/DOD for him?
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Pretty sure it's 1915-2002.

The oldest brother Frank was also most likely a Pittsburgh member arrested with Ciro Gallo in the 1932 Bazzano murder in NYC and another brother Anthony was a criminal who died in a bootlegging fire in 1928.

Father + 5 sons all involved yet flew completely under the radar.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

B. wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:25 pm Pretty sure it's 1915-2002.

The oldest brother Frank was also most likely a Pittsburgh member arrested with Ciro Gallo in the 1932 Bazzano murder in NYC and another brother Anthony was a criminal who died in a bootlegging fire in 1928.

Father + 5 sons all involved yet flew completely under the radar.
Thanks.

Another Pittsburgh and San Jose connection to the Bonannos, not surprising but interesting how deep it goes.

Despite the Bonannos having at least three member sources during the 60s, only 70 or so members were identified by the end of the decade. And some of those identified by informants from other families or wiretaps. No wonder members flew under the radar.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Then there's Joe Bonanno saying they had a bunch of ostensibly legitimate/respectable people early on. I have no reason to doubt him even if it was a minority of the members. They still made younger doctors when other US Families stopped that trend.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

You're well aware of this, but Bonanno talks about one of the goals of the Family was to set up economical monopolies in industries, specifically citing bakeries as example, (which I've mentioned before but multiple members were involved in that industry in Brooklyn). It's easy to believe that he actively sought to make members based on the industry they were in.

He was also good at getting relatives in positions of power, as we see with Joseph Spadaro who was the head of the American Cloak and Suit Manufactures Association(the Bonannos were big in the manufacturing of coats and suits), and a big name among Italian American Professional and Businessman’s Association. No doubt being married to Bonanno's wife sister helped his career.

Then there's Russ Andaloro. Inducting doctors makes sense, even if you can't monopolize that industry. But I still have trouble seeing where he fits, a musician/high school band teacher. I think it's likely he was already made in Pittston before moving to Tucson, and transferred to Bonanno along with Genovese. Andaloro did try to run for a political office, something small I think, but I wonder if Bonanno encouraged it.