Gambino 1960's Chart (in progress)

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

bronx
Full Patched

Re: Gambino 1960's Chart (in progress)

Post by bronx »

gravano had no clue where he was from in sicily,, just knew his family was from there.totally non clannish guy ,100 % americanized gang member.any roots he Now spews about is research he has been doing/. he needs new material , so now he is giving the world history lessons..he should read the leopard, get a few tips
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

HairyKnuckles wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:54 pm
Chris Christie wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:12 am Are these the Biondo bros Charles and John Joseph?

44016_11_00004-01782.jpg

44027_05_00018-00417.jpg
I´m not sure about Charles. I found a Charles Biondo in SSDI with the same DOB as in the registration card you posted but this Charles Biondo died in November 1994 which does not fit with the Charles Biondo listed on the FBI 1977 dead list.

John Joseph Biondo, in the second registration card you posted, looks to be the John Biondo who was a Gambino member. I know that he was active on lower Manhattan out of Hawaian Nights Social Club on Mulberry Street, moved to Milford Connecticut and later relocated to Florida.

I have a hard time connecting these two to Joseph Biondo, the Gambino underboss. I remember JD saying they were brothers but now I´m not sure if. I´ll see if I can dig up the name of Joseph Biondo´s father and take it from there.
Joseph Biondo definitely had a brother named John. I am almost positively sure that the John Joseph in the second registration card you posted is Joseph´s brother who also was a Gambino member.
However, I can not find a Joseph Biondo/Charles Biondo connection. I know that Charles Biondo, who was a Gambino member, was deceased sometime pre Nov 1969. Maybe they were cousins?

Chris Christie wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:19 am Having issues locating a Louis D´Agostino (Nov 3, 1908?), any more identifiers such as where he lived or when he died?
D´Agostino died sometime around 1969-1972ish.
[/quote]
155668137_1449246262.jpg
Maybe this guy? Was he Jersey?
[/quote]

Could be. But it´s very hard to know.

Chris, I found two other individuals who were potentially made Gambino members. The first one is Gasparino/Gasper/Gaspar Barranca (1897-1985) who lived on Clinton Street in Brooklyn but moved to Connecticut maybe in the 1940s. He´s the father of Pasquale Barranca (1926-2001) who was later identified as a Gambino member.

The second one is Michele Matranga. I have two candidates for this guy. One died in or around 1932. If this is the potential Gambino member, he shouldn´t be on your list. The second Michele Matranga (1899-1974) was living on President Street, Brooklyn and later moved to Dyker Heights. He was a contractor, doing construction works.
There you have it, never printed before.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

The John Biondo is the brother. Joe didn't have a brother named Charles. The Charles born in 1905 lived in Boston and arrived with his father Carmelo (and their family) in 1920. He was born Carmelo Biondo after his father in 1905 and apparently served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. Don't think he was connected with the LCN.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

NAME: John Ingrassia
RACE: White
BIRTH DATE: 24 Jun 1915
BIRTH PLACE: Bklyn N Y Ki, New York
DEATH DATE: 16 Nov 1991
FATHER: Joseph Ingrassia
MOTHER: Antonia Boccone

Had a son named Joe. They are Palermitan.
44027_03_00147-01962.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Checked the manifest again and Giovanni Ingrassia is listed but crossed out so he may not have actually traveled w/ DiLeonardo and Torregrossa. Age 30 in 1929, so not the same as this one. I don't know Gambino member Joe Ingrassia's DOB but could be related to the one you found.

Joe Ingrassia and his relatives were/are connected to Monreale, Carini, Santa Maria di Gesu, and Ciaculli. Not sure where they originally come from but they have ties all around Palermo.
bronx
Full Patched

Post by bronx »

they were from monreale.great work B
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

B. wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:55 pm Checked the manifest again and Giovanni Ingrassia is listed but crossed out so he may not have actually traveled w/ DiLeonardo and Torregrossa. Age 30 in 1929, so not the same as this one. I don't know Gambino member Joe Ingrassia's DOB but could be related to the one you found.

Joe Ingrassia and his relatives were/are connected to Monreale, Carini, Santa Maria di Gesu, and Ciaculli. Not sure where they originally come from but they have ties all around Palermo.
I'll look for him once I get to the office in a few hours.

The next stage in this type of research will be tracing these blood families across Sicily. Up to now we've examined the importance of compaesanismo but families also are a factor as we've only started to hint on. Families like Mangano, Riccobono, Giardina, this one Ingrassia may have been aligned and spread throughout different areas. The problem is the Italian records are incomplete online but who knows where things will be in 10 years. I remember a time where if you wanted to view newspapers you would have to travel to a major university and go through microfilm and make 10 c copies. Now there's newspapers.com.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Riccobono is one I'm particularly interested in. Some points for later reference:

- There's Erasmo Riccobono who was ID'd in the Sangiorgi report and that's the same name of Gambino member Simone Riccobono's father. Simone wasn't Joe Riccobono's brother but Joe's FBI file says he had cousins named Riccobono in NYC who the FBI asked about.

- In Joe Riccobono's FBI file Antiliar posted there's a mysterious part where it talks about a clan feud in Palermo between the Riccobonos of Sicily and another clan. It says Joe Riccobono was the patriarch of this clan, suggesting he was still close to his Sicilian relatives.

- Rosario Riccobono who was boss of Partanna Mondello played a big role in what happened with the Inzerillos in the early 1980s. Rosario had close ties to people in NYC and was responsible for contacting Gambino figures in NYC/NJ like John Gambino and the Inzerillos.

- Then there is Joe Riccobono's relation to Frank Scalise and Saverio Virzi which you guys mapped out. One of the men who attended Cascio Ferro's welcome dinner (Francesco Megna, who arrived to a Scalise) appears to be part of this clan and as said elsewhere a FNU Riccobono in NYC sent a letter to Cascio Ferro when he returned to Sicily. Too old to be Joe or Simone Riccobono so a sign there was an older Riccobono in the Lupo Family.

- According to Dickie, Carlo Gambino's in-law Nino Giammona earned his mafia status as a lieutenant in the 1860 Palermo revolution and you guys talked about the Riccobono/Scalise/Megna/Virzi relatives fighting in the revolution. 100 years later we have Joe Riccobono order Anastasia's murder after he kills Riccobono's cousin Frank Scalise then Carlo Gambino and Joe Riccobono take over the Family. These two clans may been working together for a century at that point, first the 1860 Palermo revolution then the Gambino Family's 1957 "revolution".

- Remember too Frank Scalise and Carlo Gambino were part of the D'Aquila loyalists along with Joe Traina who sided with Maranzano. The Riccobono, Traina, and DiLeonardo crews all hung out at DiRobertis Bakery together in Manhattan for decades. Both the Riccobono and DiLeonardo crews had guys from Bisacquino. These seem to be D'Aquila's main loyalists given they wanted to avenge him for 3 years and bided their time. Mangano on the other hand refused to betray Mineo according to Gentile.

Too many rhymes to be pure coincidence.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Yeah, you're up on it.

Right now I'm kinda wondering about Marineo. There's 2-4 members who originate from there, including Silesi. The only Gen member we had was boss Salvatore Loiacano. Given Marineo's proximily to Villafrati, Godrano and their affiliation with Corleone lead me to conclude that Marineo fell under that umbrella. And maybe it did, alot can change in 60 years.

But given the amount of Marinesi in the Gambinos, this could mean a few things-
1 This faction went Gambino with Loicano's murder in 1921 and the subsequent breakup of the Corleonesi into the Gen and Lucs.
2 This faction was always Gambino and D'Aquila installed Loiacano as boss after the murder of LoMonte.

Of course it'd be beneficial to have a look at the Genovese genealogy and see what Sicilianismo was left over. I would assume Messinese but who knows. I was quite surprised to see the Gambino makeup in the 60's and 80's. Assumptions always need to be challenged.

--

Anyways, regarding Giuseppe Ingrassia, that's a pretty common name and filtering it down to Brooklyn only still wields alot of results. I need more info, an age-range, relative, where he lived.
44027_14_00191-01213.jpg
44027_03_00170-01896.jpg
44028_05_00099-00059.jpg
44027_03_00153-00055.jpg
44027_05_00117-00595.jpg
44027_05_00253-01382.jpg
44027_13_00104-00861.jpg
44027_02_00188-00321.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

A Joe Ingrassia from Bensonhurst was 48 in 1985 and associated with Gambino members but I don't think he was the Gambino member under Lilo Garofalo. This one's father was also named Joe. Sammy Gravano knew him.

The Gambino member's nephew is Ignazio Ingrassia the current consigliere of the Ciaculli Family who transferred to the Gambino Family and reported to Jack D'Amico and Frank Cali until he was deported. Ignazio is also married to his first cousin, the member Giuseppe Ingrassia's daughter. Ignazio's father Andrea was also a made member in Palermo mentioned in the Maxi Trial.

The Maxi Trial also named a Salvatore and Giuseppe Ingrassia who I believe are relatives of these ones but it's not the same Giuseppe. Confusing (of course).

EDIT: Checked some notes, and the Gambino member Giuseppe Ingrassia may have died in the early 1980s and had two sons Angelo and Tony who transferred to Mario Traina's crew but were never made.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

NAME: Joseph Ingrassia Jr
RACE: White
BIRTH DATE: 11 Jan 1936
BIRTH PLACE: Bklyn, New York
DEATH DATE: 15 Jul 1996
FATHER: Joseph Ingrassia
MOTHER: Lucy Fiore
SSN: 113289155

In 1940 the family lived at 2568 86th Street next to some interesting names (need more info to verify affiliation but from a quick glance-) Carl Sanfilippo, Salvatore D'Amico, Charles Mule, Peter Bova, Theodore Corrao which, even if no involvement does give us a glimpse into demographics as some of these names are quite specific to certain regions of Sicily.

Jumping back to the father, Joseph, he was also born in NY, Oct 20, 1908 and died in May of 1966
44027_13_00104-00861 (1).jpg
This joseph was born to a Peter and Francis. Piddu was born 1867/70 and arrived in 1906/7 and in 1920 the family lived at 48 first avenue in the city, his listed occupation is longshoreman.

I can't find his immigration records at the moment.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

HairyKnuckles wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:29 am
HairyKnuckles wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:54 pm
Chris Christie wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:12 am Are these the Biondo bros Charles and John Joseph?

44016_11_00004-01782.jpg

44027_05_00018-00417.jpg
I´m not sure about Charles. I found a Charles Biondo in SSDI with the same DOB as in the registration card you posted but this Charles Biondo died in November 1994 which does not fit with the Charles Biondo listed on the FBI 1977 dead list.

John Joseph Biondo, in the second registration card you posted, looks to be the John Biondo who was a Gambino member. I know that he was active on lower Manhattan out of Hawaian Nights Social Club on Mulberry Street, moved to Milford Connecticut and later relocated to Florida.

I have a hard time connecting these two to Joseph Biondo, the Gambino underboss. I remember JD saying they were brothers but now I´m not sure if. I´ll see if I can dig up the name of Joseph Biondo´s father and take it from there.
Joseph Biondo definitely had a brother named John. I am almost positively sure that the John Joseph in the second registration card you posted is Joseph´s brother who also was a Gambino member.
However, I can not find a Joseph Biondo/Charles Biondo connection. I know that Charles Biondo, who was a Gambino member, was deceased sometime pre Nov 1969. Maybe they were cousins?

Chris Christie wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:19 am Having issues locating a Louis D´Agostino (Nov 3, 1908?), any more identifiers such as where he lived or when he died?
D´Agostino died sometime around 1969-1972ish.
155668137_1449246262.jpg
Maybe this guy? Was he Jersey?
[/quote]

Could be. But it´s very hard to know.

Chris, I found two other individuals who were potentially made Gambino members. The first one is Gasparino/Gasper/Gaspar Barranca (1897-1985) who lived on Clinton Street in Brooklyn but moved to Connecticut maybe in the 1940s. He´s the father of Pasquale Barranca (1926-2001) who was later identified as a Gambino member.

The second one is Michele Matranga. I have two candidates for this guy. One died in or around 1932. If this is the potential Gambino member, he shouldn´t be on your list. The second Michele Matranga (1899-1974) was living on President Street, Brooklyn and later moved to Dyker Heights. He was a contractor, doing construction works.
[/quote]
I can't do anything more for D'Agostino, filed under unknown.

As for these guys- Members or suspected with the asterisk?
32126_23172280569630-01321.jpg
NY-2369153-2356.jpg
007795262_00585.jpg
44027_09_00229-01557.jpg
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Antiliar wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:27 am The John Biondo is the brother. Joe didn't have a brother named Charles. The Charles born in 1905 lived in Boston and arrived with his father Carmelo (and their family) in 1920. He was born Carmelo Biondo after his father in 1905 and apparently served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. Don't think he was connected with the LCN.
So was there a Charles affiliated with the LCN, right now I just have Joe and John, and I don't have the latter's DOB. The Biondos are a difficult family to look up.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Chris Christie wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:29 pm
Antiliar wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:27 am The John Biondo is the brother. Joe didn't have a brother named Charles. The Charles born in 1905 lived in Boston and arrived with his father Carmelo (and their family) in 1920. He was born Carmelo Biondo after his father in 1905 and apparently served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. Don't think he was connected with the LCN.
So was there a Charles affiliated with the LCN, right now I just have Joe and John, and I don't have the latter's DOB. The Biondos are a difficult family to look up.
Biondo, Sebastiano Petition for Naturalization.jpg
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

The son Carmello, could be Charles.
There you have it, never printed before.