Bruno Indelicato

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Bruno Indelicato

Post by B. »

Trinchera lived in Rockland County going back to at least the 1960s so would make sense Basciano was from there or at least had ties to the area. He started as Trinchera's driver.

Very interesting if it's true Basciano is half-Italian, especially Assyrian.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

FWIW, I have Vinny’s father Gennaro Basciano as born in 1932 in the Bronx (later addresses in Nanuet and New City, so I’m pretty sure he was Vinny’s dad). His parents were Vincent Basciano and Bridget Delle Cave, both born in the Bronx to parents from Afragola, Napoli. Both families lived on Villa Ave in Bedford Park in the Bronx. So while Vinny Gorgeous didn’t grow up in the Bx (looks like he was born in Yonkers and was raised there until he was a teenager), he had strong family ties there, though his family was from the NW Bx and not Throggs Neck where he was later based.

I have ex-wife Angela Basciano’s maiden name as Tocco and I think that her father was Gennaro Tocco. Not sure of his background; while Tocco is more likely to be Sicilian, it’s also present in Campania where the given name Gennaro is more common. Seems like Angela still lives by Randall Ave in TN. FWIW, the author Anthony DeStefano stated that Angela's family was Napolitan'.

I just realized that Michael Anthony Hair Lounge on East Tremont is where Hello Gorgeous was located.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Only thing I know is when Basciano was proposed for membership the Colombo Family tried to knock it down claiming they had previously killed his father and didn't want him made. Turned out a Gennaro Basciano killed by the Colombo Family was a different guy and the Bonannos were able to move forward with the induction.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

As for Indelicato, he could write one of the best autobiographies in mob history if he wanted.

- 1973 FBI source said he already had a fearsome reputation and was plotting to kill a DEA agent.
- Inducted into the Bonannos just a short time after his father in 1976.
- Killed Carmine Galante.
- Promoted to captain of his own crew while his father was also a captain.
- Brought Tommy Karate around the Family.
- Father murdered in one of the most infamous hits, ultimately "comes in" and joins Massino crew.
- Convicted in the Commission trial and does significant time.
- Marries the daughter of Jimmy Burke.
- Highly respected after his release, close to both Massino and Basciano.
- Participates in another murder.
- Massino was considering him for an acting admin position before Bruno's arrest.
- Had relatives in the Gambino and Lucchese Families, family came from Sciacca, etc.
- Tons of amazing coke stories from his party days.

His book could be called "Horse Cock: the Story of Cosa Nostra's Prodigal Son".
Amershire_Ed
Full Patched

Post by Amershire_Ed »

I think either Hootie or Pennisi also said Indelicato was the one who announced to everyone in the visiting room—I think at Ft Dix—that Ronnie G had punked Gambino soldier Joey Scopo and had him scared to come out of his cell and fight.
Southshore88
Straightened out

Post by Southshore88 »

newera_212 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:13 pm To the poster above asking about how Basciano came into LCN:

Basciano was originally from New City or somewhere up that way (north of NYC), not the Bronx. I don't think he has any familial connections with any of the Indelicatos.

He got brought into the life via Dominick Trinchera after befriending a younger Trinchera relative (nephew?) when they were kids. After the 3 Capos murder he was basically hooked up with this guy Tony Colangelo from Yonkers who there's not much known about, not sure if he was made, but he was under Patty DeFillipo.

Coleangelo ran a gambling enterprise; sports, games, numbers... and Basciano and his friend and future Bonnano solider Anthony Donato helped Colangelo with his business. Cole owned some video rental stores too and Basciano eventually got into that biz himself later in life.

It's alleged that Bacsciano and Donato killed Colanglo and absorbed all of his business interests for themselves and were under DeFillippo directly after that

Basciano was never really a Bronx guy himself. His wife is from the Bronx and they moved there, right by where she grew up, after they were married. They actually moved to Scarsdale for a short time in between living in the BX, which is crazy because Scarsdale is super expensive and they lived there when he was in his late 20s and early 30s.

Obviously being involved with Trinchera and DeFillipo, and being from the northern suburbs (closest to the Bronx) - Basciano operated in the Bronx his entire life/career - but it was his wife who was really from there.

Not sure how he got hooked up with Bruno but it wasn't until the late 90s or early 2000s. Maybe via crew assignments before Basciano was a capo. Although they did probably know one another for a long time (re: Bono wedding photo) - Bruno was locked up for most of Basciano's mob career and the other way around, too

I think you'd have a better chance finding LCN links digging into Basciano's wife's family and lineage. Not sure if Vinny is related to any of the other LCN associated Bascianos (the Times Square guy, the Brooklyn Lucchese guy, etc) but everything that's out there that I've read shows his immediste family being straight and legit
Thanks for the additional insight. You definitely refreshed my memory as I think there had been previous discussion about the Basciano/Trinchera links as a result of Vinny being in the Bono wedding photos.
Southshore88
Straightened out

Post by Southshore88 »

B. wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:18 am As for Indelicato, he could write one of the best autobiographies in mob history if he wanted.

- 1973 FBI source said he already had a fearsome reputation and was plotting to kill a DEA agent.
- Father murdered in one of the most infamous hits, ultimately "comes in" and joins Massino crew.
- Massino was considering him for an acting admin position before Bruno's arrest.
- Had relatives in the Gambino and Lucchese Families, family came from Sciacca, etc.

He really does have one of the most colorful lives amongst BL living LCN members. He’s carried a reputation for being serious, respected and homicidal for nearly 50 years - interesting to think how his career arc in the mob would’ve played out had he not spent so much of his adult life/mob career in prison.

I don’t mean to overanalyze but it’s interesting to note the similarities of Bruno and someone like Barney for example (I suppose you could find a lot of examples depending how you structure your case). Obviously not an apples to apples comparison of course but interesting that both commanded respect for having a serious and capable reputation from a very young age which paved the way for both of them to being made in the late 70’s not too long after the books were reopened. Both followed their fathers into the life, which undoubtedly gave them the opportunity to prove themselves for induction at a young age. Both stepped into leadership roles early in too with Bruno becoming captain at a young age (while his dad was also captain) and Barney obviously becoming acting captain then official capo of the 116th Street crew and then acting boss by the time he turned 30.

Different circumstances but both fathers passed early on in their mob careers, Sonny was killed and Salvatore was sick (we all know the story of Barney’s dad asking fat Tony to protect him).

There’s a lot more that makes them different but just a random observation I had which made me wonder if Bruno could’ve been the Bonnanos version of a young prodigy if he had avoided the commission case.
newera_212
Full Patched

Post by newera_212 »

When was Bruno "brought in" by Massino and the new pecking order, after they had essentially killed his father? Bruno lived in HB later in life after he married Burke's daughter, and was apparently close with Massino - or had a working relationship with Massino at the very least. In the Basciano book, it mentioned that Vinny and Bruno met with Massino together, directly, a few times.

I'm curious when that transition was and how long it took for Massino to go from killing Bruno's father and ostensibly targeting Bruno for murder as well - to Bruno becoming a valued and respected member? I know Pitera wouldn't "come in" after the 3 captains death out of loyalty to Bruno, and Frank Lino and Spero had to bring him in. When did that happen with Bruno and who was involved?
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

newera_212 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:41 am When was Bruno "brought in" by Massino and the new pecking order, after they had essentially killed his father? Bruno lived in HB later in life after he married Burke's daughter, and was apparently close with Massino - or had a working relationship with Massino at the very least. In the Basciano book, it mentioned that Vinny and Bruno met with Massino together, directly, a few times.

I'm curious when that transition was and how long it took for Massino to go from killing Bruno's father and ostensibly targeting Bruno for murder as well - to Bruno becoming a valued and respected member? I know Pitera wouldn't "come in" after the 3 captains death out of loyalty to Bruno, and Frank Lino and Spero had to bring him in. When did that happen with Bruno and who was involved?
Massino testified that everybody else who was aligned with the three captains came in about a week after the murders. Bruno and JB were only brought back at a meeting presided over by the Commission a couple of months later. They were assured they wouldn't be harmed and were given a list of captains to choose from. They both chose to join Massino's crew.
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
newera_212
Full Patched

Post by newera_212 »

chin_gigante wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:53 am
newera_212 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:41 am When was Bruno "brought in" by Massino and the new pecking order, after they had essentially killed his father? Bruno lived in HB later in life after he married Burke's daughter, and was apparently close with Massino - or had a working relationship with Massino at the very least. In the Basciano book, it mentioned that Vinny and Bruno met with Massino together, directly, a few times.

Massino testified that everybody else who was aligned with the three captains came in about a week after the murders. Bruno and JB were only brought back at a meeting presided over by the Commission a couple of months later. They were assured they wouldn't be harmed and were given a list of captains to choose from. They both chose to join Massino's crew.
Shit - thanks. I gotta read that Massino testimony some day. I'd love if someone reverse transcribed it so I could listen to it like a podcast or something. I know there's taped testimony out there of Massino, from one of the Basicano trials, but the quality is so bad/low you can't really hear anything. Funny they chose to join Massino's crew - smart, I guess? lol
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

So from 1981 to I think Bruno gets indicted in early 1985 he and the uncle are with massino. They must have been close that's along time in years. The guy jb never got bumped. He was still attending those Bohannon meetings the guy Peter was recording around 2015
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

People were asking a while back about Sonny Red's father Antonino, as an Antonio Indelicato was involved in the life and murdered early on in NYC.

- Sonny's father was Antonino "Pops" Indelicato who died in 1975 of natural causes. Never seen any indication he was involved but can't say for sure. He was related to the Antonino and Joseph Indelicato who joined the Gambino Family, who in turn were related to the Falcones of Utica so they seem to have been part of a Sciacchitani mafia clan.

- A bunch of the Indelicatos including Sonny Red and his relatives lived in adjoining apartment buildings on the 100 block of Elizabeth Street and hung out at the Little Italy Sciacca club with Gambino members. Sonny Red used the club as his HQ and the Corraos operated from there as well. Sonny ran a business on Grand Street, just like his nephew Bonanno captain Allie DiPilato does now (Alphonso's Pizzeria).

- An online family tree says Pops Indelicato was born in Siculiana but doesn't list a source. He came to the US from Sciacca, his parents were from Sciacca, and so was his wife (Sonny Red's mother).
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

He also lays in bed with broads with more hair on their lips than he has on his head.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Post by Newyorkempire »

B. wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:18 am As for Indelicato, he could write one of the best autobiographies in mob history if he wanted.

Lol...what a book title
"Dont leave me alone with your wife."
Makelaiusiwk
Straightened out

Post by Makelaiusiwk »

Probaly not broke.