Garbage Business

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

joeycigars
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: Garbage Business

Post by joeycigars »

Garbageman wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:36 am
joeycigars wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:04 am Read up on ,Carmine “Papa Smurf” Franco, James Galante, Thomas Milo, Mario Gigante and Nicholas "Cockeyed Nick" Rattenni, All very deeply involved at the highest levels , Great stories youll have to do your own research on which way you want to go, its way to much info me to post , But very interesting guys to read about,

Good read Dont know whos site this is , Props if your on here
Organized crime and waste hauling
Copied from: http://mafiahistory.us/maf-hinc.html
Looks like an interesting site. Never came across this before. Thanks.
Hello G Your welcome ,Merry Christmas
kingfromqueens
Associate

Post by kingfromqueens »

Here was a good article in 2020 about private sanitation in NYC, touched on mob control: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/15/nyre ... rbage.html
Charlie
Straightened out

Post by Charlie »

As far as money, garbage was one if not the biggest moneymaker of all. Big time guys like Francolino, Barretti or Ponte were loaded beyond belief.
An article a few years back disclosed that Francolino sold a commercial building he owned in Chelsea for $20m. Former Duffy HQ.
Rocco
Full Patched

Post by Rocco »

Really the mob has been pushed out of most of the carting biz. Galante in CT and Papa Smurf's lame attempt to control companies is the last of it probably. Most of the owners of the carting biz in NJ today are the children of the original owners when the mob had more control. All the owners todays are prep school kids running their dads company who has since retired.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Rocco wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:48 am Really the mob has been pushed out of most of the carting biz. Galante in CT and Papa Smurf's lame attempt to control companies is the last of it probably. Most of the owners of the carting biz in NJ today are the children of the original owners when the mob had more control. All the owners todays are prep school kids running their dads company who has since retired.
I think that's largely the case. And those children are usually smart enough run their company on the up and up, legitimately. I'm talking the general carting serving the year-round commercial stops. As I said before, it's seemed for a while now that the main area the mob has a presence in is hauling C&D materials, but that's connected to construction.
All roads lead to New York.
Rocco
Full Patched

Post by Rocco »

Wiseguy wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:09 am
Rocco wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:48 am Really the mob has been pushed out of most of the carting biz. Galante in CT and Papa Smurf's lame attempt to control companies is the last of it probably. Most of the owners of the carting biz in NJ today are the children of the original owners when the mob had more control. All the owners todays are prep school kids running their dads company who has since retired.
I think that's largely the case. And those children are usually smart enough run their company on the up and up, legitimately. I'm talking the general carting serving the year-round commercial stops. As I said before, it's seemed for a while now that the main area the mob has a presence in is hauling C&D materials, but that's connected to construction.
I friends with a few Carting guys here in NJ. Their dads started the biz which like you said was commercial stops. But since the sons took over they kept the Commercial. But he grew the residential aspect of the biz which now brings in more then double the money then commercial. he Does the carting for various towns residential Big bucks. And you get your invoices paid easier then commercial stops who are almost always late or behind.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Just posting this here after cleaning out some files. When the city ever actually gets around to finalizing it, from these 50 companies will be chosen the relative few who will contracts to collect commercial waste in the five boroughs.

Request for Proposals Part 1 Proposers

Carter Names

# 1 WASTE & RECYCLER INC.
1 TAKE ALL CORP
5 BOROUGH WASTE REMOVAL INC
ACTION CARTING ENVIRONMENTAL SERVICES INC.
AMERICAN RECYCLING MANAGEMENT, LLC
APPROVED STORAGE AND WASTE HAULING INC
AVID WASTE SYSTEMS, INC.
BASIN HAULAGE INC.
BESTWAY CARTING INC.
BORO-WIDE RECYCLING CORP.
CENTURY WASTE SERVICES L.L.C.
CINELLI CARTING CO., INC.
CJS SANITATION CORP.
CLASSIC RECYCLING NEW YORK CORP.
COGENT WASTE SOLUTIONS LLC
CROWN WASTE CORP
CUTTING ROOM RECYCLING CORP
D & D CARTING CO., INC.
D. DANIELS CONTRACTING LTD.
DANIELLO CARTING CO. LLC
EVEREST REMOVAL INC.
FALSO CARTING CO., INC.
FILCO CARTING CORP.
FLASH RECYCLING CORPORATION
GAETA INTERIOR DEMOLITION, INC.
GREEN BAY SANITATION CORP.
GREEN ENVIRONMENTAL SERVICES CORP
IMVROS WASTE INC
INTEGRITY GENERAL CONTRACTORS INC.
JORO CARTING, INC.
KINGS COUNTY CARTING CORP.
KWN CARTING LLC
LIBERTY ASHES INC.
LIBERTY WASTE & RECYCLING, INC.
LIVERPOOL CARTING CO., INC.
M & M SANITATION CORP.
METROPOLITAN PAPER RECYCLING, INC.
MIDLAND CARTING, INC.
MR. T CARTING CORP.
MYBEM CORP.
PRIORITY FIRST CARTING INC.
RECYCLE TRACK SYSTEMS NYC, LLC
RELIABLE PAPER RECYCLING, INC.
ROYAL WASTE SERVICES INC.
RUBICON GLOBAL, LLC
TULLY ENVIRONMENTAL INC.
VIKING SANITATION, INC.
WASTE CONNECTIONS OF NEW YORK, INC.
WASTE MANAGEMENT OF NEW YORK, L.L.C.
WINTERS BROS. WASTE SYSTEMS OF NYC, LLC
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Wiseguy wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:11 pm Just posting this here after cleaning out some files. When the city ever actually gets around to finalizing it, from these 50 companies will be chosen the relative few who will contracts to collect commercial waste in the five boroughs.

Request for Proposals Part 1 Proposers

Carter Names

# 1 WASTE & RECYCLER INC.
1 TAKE ALL CORP
5 BOROUGH WASTE REMOVAL INC
ACTION CARTING ENVIRONMENTAL SERVICES INC.
AMERICAN RECYCLING MANAGEMENT, LLC
APPROVED STORAGE AND WASTE HAULING INC
AVID WASTE SYSTEMS, INC.
BASIN HAULAGE INC.
BESTWAY CARTING INC.
BORO-WIDE RECYCLING CORP.
CENTURY WASTE SERVICES L.L.C.
CINELLI CARTING CO., INC.
CJS SANITATION CORP.
CLASSIC RECYCLING NEW YORK CORP.
COGENT WASTE SOLUTIONS LLC
CROWN WASTE CORP
CUTTING ROOM RECYCLING CORP
D & D CARTING CO., INC.
D. DANIELS CONTRACTING LTD.
DANIELLO CARTING CO. LLC
EVEREST REMOVAL INC.
FALSO CARTING CO., INC.
FILCO CARTING CORP.
FLASH RECYCLING CORPORATION
GAETA INTERIOR DEMOLITION, INC.
GREEN BAY SANITATION CORP.
GREEN ENVIRONMENTAL SERVICES CORP
IMVROS WASTE INC
INTEGRITY GENERAL CONTRACTORS INC.
JORO CARTING, INC.
KINGS COUNTY CARTING CORP.
KWN CARTING LLC
LIBERTY ASHES INC.
LIBERTY WASTE & RECYCLING, INC.
LIVERPOOL CARTING CO., INC.
M & M SANITATION CORP.
METROPOLITAN PAPER RECYCLING, INC.
MIDLAND CARTING, INC.
MR. T CARTING CORP.
MYBEM CORP.
PRIORITY FIRST CARTING INC.
RECYCLE TRACK SYSTEMS NYC, LLC
RELIABLE PAPER RECYCLING, INC.
ROYAL WASTE SERVICES INC.
RUBICON GLOBAL, LLC
TULLY ENVIRONMENTAL INC.
VIKING SANITATION, INC.
WASTE CONNECTIONS OF NEW YORK, INC.
WASTE MANAGEMENT OF NEW YORK, L.L.C.
WINTERS BROS. WASTE SYSTEMS OF NYC, LLC
Nice pull...it might be a fun game... pin the carting company on the mobster....
BensonhurstGuy
Honorary Member

Post by BensonhurstGuy »

Private sanitation here in Brooklyn is not nearly as wide spread as the 80s and 90s. But no way have they been totally pushed out. You people saying it’s all waste management now are saying this from a keyboard in the Midwest. Store fronts businesses pick ups are def still there as well as construction. Go try and open up a store on Flatbush Ave and see the sanit guy who comes in. Some hipster I met who moved here From Alabama was shocked The guys who walked in on park side ave and told me. I said welcome to brooklyn.
I don’t usually post cause you know it alls In Missouri immediately reply Ur 2 cents btw lol
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

CabriniGreen wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:20 pmNice pull...it might be a fun game... pin the carting company on the mobster....
I don't think there would be many. Law enforcement and industry regulations did a good job of removing the mob out of the NYC waste hauling business. The newer commercial zones will only tighten things even more. It's why most of the mob presence in waste hauling we saw in the 2000's was outside the 5 boroughs, i.e. in Long Island, Westchester, SW Connecticut, and New Jersey.

Where the mob has had a more significant presence in recent years is in hauling construction and demolition materials, which is more an extension of its presence in the construction industry.
BensonhurstGuy wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:42 am Private sanitation here in Brooklyn is not nearly as wide spread as the 80s and 90s. But no way have they been totally pushed out. You people saying it’s all waste management now are saying this from a keyboard in the Midwest. Store fronts businesses pick ups are def still there as well as construction. Go try and open up a store on Flatbush Ave and see the sanit guy who comes in. Some hipster I met who moved here From Alabama was shocked The guys who walked in on park side ave and told me. I said welcome to brooklyn.
I don’t usually post cause you know it alls In Missouri immediately reply Ur 2 cents btw lol
Bensonhurst!

DelectableReasonableIrishsetter-max-1mb.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
newera_212
Full Patched

Post by newera_212 »

I remember reading an article recently (past few years), an investigative piece centered around drivers/hauler's low wages, tough working conditions, and mandatory membership of paper locals that don't do shit - that mentioned Genovese member James "Jamie" Bernardone . So he's apparently involved with modern day garbage. Since Genovese member Hippy Zanfardino is apparently close with him, and has been alleged to extort a hauling company in the past, I would assume he probably has some involvement today as well.

Definitely need Garbageman to come on and give a breakdown, especially of the more modern day stuff.

I was under the impression that in an effort to make everything more 'fair' and environmentally conscious, the City was getting ride of the byzantine route system and dividing up the map into literal territories , and making companies re-apply for the new routes. Also limiting the number of routes a company can have (or essentially landlocking them into a specific territory). To prevent a company from having a route that transverses all of Brooklyn, then going into the City, then back into Brooklyn etc... while another company is doing something similar picking up garbage for businesses on the other side of the street on the same route. I was told this over the height of COVID by someone who works in the industry. Not sure of the details, accuracy, or plans for implementation
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

newera_212 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:41 pm I remember reading an article recently (past few years), an investigative piece centered around drivers/hauler's low wages, tough working conditions, and mandatory membership of paper locals that don't do shit - that mentioned Genovese member James "Jamie" Bernardone . So he's apparently involved with modern day garbage. Since Genovese member Hippy Zanfardino is apparently close with him, and has been alleged to extort a hauling company in the past, I would assume he probably has some involvement today as well.

Definitely need Garbageman to come on and give a breakdown, especially of the more modern day stuff.
You're referring to the Pro Publica articles on the NYC garbage industry. They mentioned Bernardone in relation to IUJAT Local 124, one of those independent or rogue locals the mob created or moved in on after being removed from the IBT, etc. That local represented Sanitation Salvage before the company shut down. What limited mob involvement there has been in NYC over the last 20-25 years has been mostly the Genovese family.
I was under the impression that in an effort to make everything more 'fair' and environmentally conscious, the City was getting ride of the byzantine route system and dividing up the map into literal territories , and making companies re-apply for the new routes. Also limiting the number of routes a company can have (or essentially landlocking them into a specific territory). To prevent a company from having a route that transverses all of Brooklyn, then going into the City, then back into Brooklyn etc... while another company is doing something similar picking up garbage for businesses on the other side of the street on the same route. I was told this over the height of COVID by someone who works in the industry. Not sure of the details, accuracy, or plans for implementation
That's it. Plan to cut waste hauling traffic in half by creating 20 zones that split up the 5 boroughs. Each zone can have up to 3 haulers screened and selected by the city. Contracts last for 10 years, if I remember right, with an option to extend. The first screening process has whittled the candidates down to the 50 companies above. And it will be whittled down even more when they pick the ones who actually get the contracts.
newera_212
Full Patched

Post by newera_212 »

Wiseguy wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:11 pm
newera_212 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:41 pm I remember reading an article recently (past few years), an investigative piece centered around drivers/hauler's low wages, tough working conditions, and mandatory membership of paper locals that don't do shit - that mentioned Genovese member James "Jamie" Bernardone . So he's apparently involved with modern day garbage. Since Genovese member Hippy Zanfardino is apparently close with him, and has been alleged to extort a hauling company in the past, I would assume he probably has some involvement today as well.

You're referring to the Pro Publica articles on the NYC garbage industry. They mentioned Bernardone in relation to IUJAT Local 124, one of those independent or rogue locals the mob created or moved in on after being removed from the IBT, etc. That local represented Sanitation Salvage before the company shut down. What limited mob involvement there has been in NYC over the last 20-25 years has been mostly the Genovese family.
That's it. Plan to cut waste hauling traffic in half by creating 20 zones that split up the 5 boroughs. Each zone can have up to 3 haulers screened and selected by the city. Contracts last for 10 years, if I remember right, with an option to extend. The first screening process has whittled the candidates down to the 50 companies above. And it will be whittled down even more when they pick the ones who actually get the contracts.
Awesome & informative reply, for sure. Thank you for that.

You're exactly right - that's the article I was referring to; the breakdown of the modern biz and the blips about Bernardone and Local 124. Great article. There was another article (jesus...with my memory and how I get things mixed up, it could very well be the same one) that had similar info and an interactive map of a low paid waste hauler. Like a night-in-the-life of one of the guys driving the trucks. Happen to remember that one as well? lol

Glad to know I remembered the new City rules as well. I met someone at an in-laws over COVID by happenstance who happened to be 2nd generation in the business, from Brooklyn, much older than me. Didn't ask him anything about LCN type stuff but asked him what the industry was like today, and that's when he gave a breakdown (and a tirade) on the newly proposed rules.

I have mixed feelings on what the City is trying to do. I guess what I don't understand is why they didn't do this years ago when they tried to basically de-cartel'ify the business. I know the environmental and logistical reasonings behind it play much better today (and an argument about why it's needed could be made better, today) - I guess the system had to change at some point. But, it almost feels like ripping the bandaid off and the rich just getting richer.

Awesome work on breaking down that list of companies who will remain. I'm assuming that some of those companies just bought up a bunch of smaller ones semi-recently? Otherwise it's crazy to think that a company with trucks, operations, and long-set routes would just be told they can essentially no longer operate. They sold to other companies who had a better chance at bidding within the new system perhaps?

All these weird long standing byzantine systems in NYC...how some things operate that would just operate like normal anywhere else...are part of why everything is so expensive. But I don't trust the end result of getting rid of these systems will benefit the consumer. The savings never trickles down. And part of me likes how wacky and insane some of those systems are, begrudgingly. Arguments long ago about the crazy garbage system, the taxi medallion system, rental brokerages, soo many things - were that if they didn't exist, things would be cheaper and better. Highly doubtful that it's fact and the consumer, customer, small biz, are going to see any difference. At best they'll pay the same for less service.
CornerBoy
Full Patched

Post by CornerBoy »

Wiseguy wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:49 pm
Shellackhead wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:43 pmWho were some guys that got involved & made a lot of money out of this racket?
Jimmy Failla, Joseph Francolino, Alphonse Malangone, Mario Gigante, Angelo Ponte, Sal Avellino, and many others. Like Dr031718 said above, if you read the book Takedown by Rick Cowan, it goes pretty in depth to the whole thing and many of those involved.
Phil Baretti, Patti Pecoraro, Angelo Vulpis, Galante up North, Nick Ratenni, 5 bros carting,

What time period does this book cover?
Q: What doesn't work when it's fixed?
A: A jury!
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

newera_212 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:06 pmYou're exactly right - that's the article I was referring to; the breakdown of the modern biz and the blips about Bernardone and Local 124. Great article. There was another article (jesus...with my memory and how I get things mixed up, it could very well be the same one) that had similar info and an interactive map of a low paid waste hauler. Like a night-in-the-life of one of the guys driving the trucks. Happen to remember that one as well? lol
That was also a Pro-Publica article, I believe. It was a series.
Awesome work on breaking down that list of companies who will remain. I'm assuming that some of those companies just bought up a bunch of smaller ones semi-recently? Otherwise it's crazy to think that a company with trucks, operations, and long-set routes would just be told they can essentially no longer operate. They sold to other companies who had a better chance at bidding within the new system perhaps?
There has been a lot of buy-outs, merging, and consolidation in NYC over the past 25 years. A 2018 report said there were over 100 companies serving the market. Just the first phase of the new commercial zone reform has cut that more than half. And that will but cut down even more when the final selections are made, as I don't think there's enough contracts for all 50 companies. Maybe some of them can find work elsewhere in the metro area but I would think a lot of them would fold, as they just can't afford to sit around for 10+ years waiting for new bidding.
CornerBoy wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:55 amWhat time period does this book cover?
The investigation was in the 1990's, though the book also goes into previous years, the mob's history in the industry, and what led up to the case.