HBO series: Mob Queens

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Re: HBO series: Mob Queens

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Adam wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:32 pm And again I find this random hatred for Lena Dunham to be pretty fucking pathetic. I can't imagine what kind of loser freaks out over her.
Relax child. Pinch o salt.
And welcome to the internets.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
MightyDR
Straightened out

Post by MightyDR »

I'm leery, but Vito and Anna Genovese's story is pretty wild. Could be good.

Don't think I've seen that photo of the two of them sitting next to each other before. Shows a different perspective of old Don Vitone.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

I know a little bit, mostly from the Valachi Papers with Charles Bronson in the starring role which goes into Genovese (Lino Ventura) and his lounge wife, made it sound like she was fucking the Gap which led to his murder by castration. Good film.

I dont know, honestly I find entertainment more entertaining when I stop fact checking. This set in 30's 40's NYC could be the spiritual successor of Boardwalk Empire which I treated as fiction and enjoyed because of it.
bluehouse
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by bluehouse »

Adam wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:32 pm
bluehouse wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:30 pm So instead of making a series about VG that would actually be interesting they want to make it about his wife.Let me guess they are going to say that she was the real brains and power behind vito and she was running the crime family
It's HBO. They took what would normally be a traditional mob story(that would have failed because they tried it with Gotti) and turned it into a story about therapy/family/depression......and it worked. The Sopranos. As weird as it sounds here, to most people Vito Genovese's story isn't that interesting. He was a prohibition gangster, got busted and died in prison in the 60s. Woohoo! There a million of those. But if you can incorporate an interesting wife story....it might actually work. HBO doesn't make stuff for mob buffs. They make stuff for a broader audience.

And again I find this random hatred for Lena Dunham to be pretty fucking pathetic. I can't imagine what kind of loser freaks out over her.
HBO isn't as smart as you make them out to be.They cancelled boardwalk empire to make Vinyl how well did that go?If their going to do a show about a mobwife they should do Linda Scarpa atleast the swingers angle will be more interesting than a housewife in the 40s.Seriously this is why gamorrah is the greatest show on tv and better than any american tv show.No police angle,No love story or family angle all just a group of criminals focusing on crime.

As great as the sopranos was if it got made now it wouldnt be as succesfull,there is too much other shows now for it to compete with.20 years ago squid games never would of been released outside of Korea.How many seasons would a show like cheers last today?
Hired_Goonz
Straightened out

Post by Hired_Goonz »

If this is successful they should do one with Rusty Rastelli's wife. Maybe I'll pitch that to old Lena for season 2 lol I guess I understand the hate for her but I never watched her show or anything she was in.