Sad news about Pierre de Champlain

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Sad news about Pierre de Champlain

Post by Pogo The Clown »

He was an original on these forums going all the way back to the old AM in the 1999s. Sad to hear about his passing. :(

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

Very sad news. A big loss for Canadian OC research and discussion
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

Pierre de Champlain and I had regularly corresponded for many years, from 2006 to 2014, and we had even developed somewhat of a friendship virtually; during that period I spoke with him on the phone only two or three times. However, we had a falling out in December 2014, a situation that had nothing to do with a public disagreement nor a personal disagreement about our respective interpretations about past and current events related to organized crime. After that, we never spoke to each other on the phone or e-mailed each other ever again.

For some posters who got to "know" the both of us over many years on the previous incarnation of both TBHF and the RealDeal, as well as on the old GangstersInc. Mobbed Up Forum, it might not have been obvious from 2015 onward that he and I were for the most part merely civil to each other on TBHF and nothing more. Two people early on inquired as to why, and in my replies I did not disclose the reasons.

Nevertheless, I am very saddened by his death.

After 2014, I continued to purchase copies of his older books that weren't already in my library, as well as Histoire du crime organisé à Montréal 2: de 1980 à 2000, the second volume published in 2017. He had autographed for me a new copy of the first volume that was published in March 2014, as well as a new copy of the English translation Mobsters, Gangsters, And Men Of Honour: Cracking the Mafia Code, first published in April 2004, both of which I directly purchased from him (I sent him cheques in the mail, and he shipped the books to me).

Adrian Humphreys, who did not know of Mr. de Champlain's death till I told him about it, told me de Champlain had a lung or breathing condition as early as 2009 but could not be sure this ailment is related to his death. I never knew about this condition.
Etna
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Etna »

Wow. Laurentinian was a fantastic poster. I enjoyed all of what he contributed to the forum - back to the real deal days.

RIP
OcSleeper
Full Patched

Post by OcSleeper »

Very sad indeed, RIP.

I'm not trying to start anything but just saying out of respect I wouldn't be sharing his illnesses with everyone.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Always appreciated the wealth of knowledge he shared with us. Seemed like a truly decent gentleman. He will be missed. Rest in peace.
Ozgoz
Straightened out

Post by Ozgoz »

Villain wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:33 am Maybe we should made a thread/sticky regarding all of our passed members in their honor and so they wont be forgotten.
This is a really good idea.
WHHAAT MUUUYDAAAAH???????
Strax
Straightened out

Post by Strax »

One of the best posters regarding Canada.

May he rest In peace.
The Greek
Straightened out

Post by The Greek »

Very sad. Great poster. RIP
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Very sad to hear.

I actually had no idea that he was Laurentian. I only knew Laurentian as a polite, knowledgeable, contributing poster. The board is poorer with his loss.

@Anti: perhaps you could forward a copy of this thread to his colleagues or family to indicate the effect he had on so many people. It may bring a little solace to the bereaved.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:58 am Very sad to hear.

I actually had no idea that he was Laurentian. I only knew Laurentian as a polite, knowledgeable, contributing poster. The board is poorer with his loss.

@Anti: perhaps you could forward a copy of this thread to his colleagues or family to indicate the effect he had on so many people. It may bring a little solace to the bereaved.
This is a private forum, not a public one, so we cannot forward an entire thread. Besides, even if that were possible I wouldn't know were to send anything. His Twitter account hasn't been active since May 25, so no one is managing it. Haven't seen any obituaries either.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Antiliar wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:59 am
SonnyBlackstein wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:58 am Very sad to hear.

This is a private forum, not a public one, so we cannot forward an entire thread. Besides, even if that were possible I wouldn't know were to send anything. His Twitter account hasn't been active since May 25, so no one is managing it. Haven't seen any obituaries either.
Yes, it does appear difficult.
Perhaps if you are in touch with anyone you could extend the effect, contribution and respect for his contributions and the boards overall sadness at hearing upon his passing.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

So sad to hear. I interacted with him many times over the past 20+ years. He was an excellent writer, and contributor, not only to this forum but to many others that preceded it.
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

Ozgoz wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:56 pm
Villain wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:33 am Maybe we should made a thread/sticky regarding all of our passed members in their honor and so they wont be forgotten.
This is a really good idea.
Second this
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Who else do we know who's passed away from BH? If there are old threads maybe they can be combined into a sticky.